Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Oh my bad then. It's funny the despawning doesn't annoy me as much because I expect it if the story or circumstances get in the way. It's when I get a mission like "Tail these dudes then shoot them" or whatever and it makes me drive something that wasn't the car I painted and stunt jumped in for an hour that I've grown attached to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Or the even worse "Just drive to this other place."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fragmented posted:

"Just drive to this other place."

This is what drags GTA down.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Xoidanor posted:

If GTA missions always started with you meeting the mission teammate wherever the actual mission location was, I feel like I would like all of them a lot more.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah but if I could drive there in my favorite car I wouldn't care. I dunno I just like speeding around in GTAV I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dragon Quest Heroes has really bad pacing because every time you finish a level they send you back to the between level camp. Even when this doesn't make any sense in the story.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Xoidanor posted:

The pointless driving segments that are just there to make you listen to two characters talk definitely does. Sometimes I would just jump out of my car and kill myself 3 times in a row because it was faster than being forced to drive halfway across the world just so there was enough time to include all of rockstar's "compelling dialog."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

muscles like this? posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes has really bad pacing because every time you finish a level they send you back to the between level camp. Even when this doesn't make any sense in the story.

Seriously. Its a fun game but its full of "We must hurry to the city! Its super urgent!" *clears monsters in front of the city* "Now lets go back to the airship before we actually open the doors of the city!".

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I wonder if I'm in the minority, because I really liked driving around in GTA 5. The mechanics are really solid and the world is nicely detailed and pretty, so zooming around listening to the radio was inherently satisfying in a way.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Byzantine posted:

Things dragging GTA games down:

What, you don't find "everyone is an idiot and everything sucks" compelling?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Seriously. Its a fun game but its full of "We must hurry to the city! Its super urgent!" *clears monsters in front of the city* "Now lets go back to the airship before we actually open the doors of the city!".

It also doesn't help that the levels are super short.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I love Rogue Galaxy, but the weapon upgrading system and the factory are such tremendous pains in the rear end.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I started getting into Civ 5. It's the first Civ game I've played since 2, and it's just as addicting as it was twenty years ago.

But holy gently caress, Barbarians can kiss my rear end. Every game begins with Barbarians invading my territory within the first 20-25 turns and pillaging all of my improvements because the only military I have to my name is the starting Warrior and a Scout. I don't want to play with them disabled, but I really wish they would give you like a 30-turn grace period before they start attacking.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

I love Rogue Galaxy

You won't by the end of it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think a more accurate name for the Witcher would be " The herb gatherer who occasionally fights monsters".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Moon Monster posted:

A bunch of scottish dudes in their 50s having the writing prowess of a 10 year-old with ADHD who just found out that 69 is The Sex Number and started watching South Park after his parents go to bed got old about 5 games ago.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think a more accurate name for the Witcher would be " The herb gatherer who occasionally fights monsters".

"I hunt monsters"

*proceeds to slaughter human bandits all over the place*

Also Geralt doesn't bang every woman in Nilfgaard or whatever the country he's in, and that's really dragging down this whole experience.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

A bunch of scottish dudes in their 50s having the writing prowess of a 10 year-old with ADHD who just found out that 69 is The Sex Number and started watching South Park after his parents go to bed got old about 5 games ago.
I think it's more that they're very aware they found a target audience and it's not the same they say it is.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Moon Monster posted:

It's satire. You need to be intelligent to understand it. :smug: (someone on Neogaf actually said this in response to criticism about GTA V's writing)

There's a reason why I mostly stick to GTA Online when I play GTAV. Online certainly isn't perfect, but it feels more like old-school GTA where the writing was firmly in the background and you were just some random criminal who stole cars and shot gang members. I actually didn't mind GTA IV for some reason (until the game started dragging on and introducing new assholes for Niko to work for even though he was a millionaire by that point), but I just couldn't get into the story mode in GTA V because everything felt so... unpleasant. Yes, I realize all of the characters are horrible people and the world sucks and everything is terrible, but that is the case in Vice City as well and I don't get the same feeling from that game because it also has a sense of humor that isn't just "everyone is an idiot and everything sucks, also 69 lol".

As for Saints Row, they got it right with the second game (the reason why I still have my 3rd Street tag) and went full :downs: after that. Oh boy, ~wacky~ bullshit and pop culture references! (sure, SR2 had its share of both, but they weren't really at the forefront aside from that Septic Avenger trailer)

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Jan 17, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Morpheus posted:

"I hunt monsters"

*proceeds to slaughter human bandits all over the place*

Actually in one of the witcher 3 trailers he kills a bunch of dickheads and when the last guy is like what the hell you doing buddy, he goes "killing monsters" so your complaint was addessed before the game even got out!

And one guy in the game makes fun of the cheesy line in the trailer too which belongs more in the good stuff thread tho

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Even in the first game (and this schtick might have gone as far back as the books) an NPC says "Withers carry 2 swords, a steel sword for humans a silver sword for monsters." To which Geralt replies "They're both for monsters."

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

I started getting into Civ 5. It's the first Civ game I've played since 2, and it's just as addicting as it was twenty years ago.

But holy gently caress, Barbarians can kiss my rear end. Every game begins with Barbarians invading my territory within the first 20-25 turns and pillaging all of my improvements because the only military I have to my name is the starting Warrior and a Scout. I don't want to play with them disabled, but I really wish they would give you like a 30-turn grace period before they start attacking.

Sounds similar to Fall From Heaven 2. The map in that comes some barbarian cities and barrows(?) which can constantly stream weak barbarian units towards your cities until you take them out.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

RyokoTK posted:

Pick the military social perk as your first policy from the beginning and then park yourself in front of every barbarian camp near you to turn it into an early game culture factory (don't destroy the camp.)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Moon Monster posted:

So, same as real-life America then. :smug:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy the recording puzzles in The Talos Principle least. They're kind of a one-trick pony. It's the same stuff you do in the other puzzles except you worry a lot more about timing things. As well as that, so many of them go hand in hand with the platform that it barely seems worth it having that as a separate item.

Come to think of it, I don't think it would have hurt the game to lose about 10% of its puzzles. When you walk into a puzzle area and immediately go "oh okay another flying connector one" that's maybe a sign that that particular combination of elements has overstayed its welcome.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

Started playing Tales of Symphonia and the one annoying thing, except for constant game overs due to ineptitude and the fact that it's on hard mode, is the fact that you can't force the text to go forward in skits like in normal conversations. They're not even voiced so it makes no sense. Want to read at your own pace? gently caress you, we want you to watch these anime heads flap their mouths.

Several days late, but this is because they were voiced in the Japanese version. They didn't have enough budget to dub everything I guess, and never felt like bothering to add in an option to advance text during skits so this is what we got

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

It's satire. You need to be intelligent to understand it. :smug: (someone on Neogaf actually said this in response to criticism about GTA V's writing)

There's a reason why I mostly stick to GTA Online when I play GTAV. Online certainly isn't perfect, but it feels more like old-school GTA where the writing was firmly in the background and you were just some random criminal who stole cars and shot gang members. I actually didn't mind GTA IV for some reason (until the game started dragging on and introducing new assholes for Niko to work for even though he was a millionaire by that point), but I just couldn't get into the story mode in GTA V because everything felt so... unpleasant. Yes, I realize all of the characters are horrible people and the world sucks and everything is terrible, but that is the case in Vice City as well and I don't get the same feeling from that game because it also has a sense of humor that isn't just "everyone is an idiot and everything sucks, also 69 lol".

As for Saints Row, they got it right with the second game (the reason why I still have my 3rd Street tag) and went full :downs: after that. Oh boy, ~wacky~ bullshit and pop culture references! (sure, SR2 had its share of both, but they weren't really at the forefront aside from that Septic Avenger trailer)

GTA Online is great, except for the parts where the story or world building pokes its head in. I get it Trevor, you're ~crazy~ and man people will take selfies of anything!!! Let me haul the drugs in peace. Saints Row is always at least honest about its own stupidity, but the GTA staff think their dumb poo poo is incisive and fresh. If I could just have the game without all the LifeInvader ads and "here's a bad joke, now here's me explaining the bad joke to make sure you get it" it'd be pretty loving great.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Two of the most recent games I've gotten DB: Xenoverse and Dragon's Dogma are dragged down by their save file systems.

If you're going to make an excellent character creator, and allow for tons of variation, why on earth would you not allow multiple save files?

In Dragon's Dogma, I get that I can change as the game goes on, but maybe I want to spend an hour with a few different body types and fighting styles and then pick. I don't really get that option now without re-doing all that intro stuff.

In Xenoverse, you can't even properly re-start with a new character if you want. You can create a new character, but it'll start in the midst of your last characters file at level 1. So you just have to grind old matches to catch up.

Character creation so good! Why they do this?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So Resident Evil: Revelations 2 is a good game but has a problem, a large problem, there's not enough ammo for Claire and Moira's bits, I get that it's a throwback to the older pre RE 4 games but, don't put in the fast modern enemies with the scarce ammo system from RE1, it just results in you having to fight mobs of enemies with 15 bullets between 4 guns, this isn't very fun!

Don't even get me started on the Revenants in Barry's sections too, jesus christ they are the worst.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
GTA's writing fails now both because it's trying too hard on really obvious jokes and that reality has far surpassed the silliness it strives for.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Judge Tesla posted:

So Resident Evil: Revelations 2 is a good game but has a problem, a large problem, there's not enough ammo for Claire and Moira's bits, I get that it's a throwback to the older pre RE 4 games but, don't put in the fast modern enemies with the scarce ammo system from RE1, it just results in you having to fight mobs of enemies with 15 bullets between 4 guns, this isn't very fun!

Don't even get me started on the Revenants in Barry's sections too, jesus christ they are the worst.

The game wants you to kill a stealth kill some of them if you have the chance.

But yea some of the combat scenarios are horrendous.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy the recording puzzles in The Talos Principle least. They're kind of a one-trick pony. It's the same stuff you do in the other puzzles except you worry a lot more about timing things. As well as that, so many of them go hand in hand with the platform that it barely seems worth it having that as a separate item.

Come to think of it, I don't think it would have hurt the game to lose about 10% of its puzzles. When you walk into a puzzle area and immediately go "oh okay another flying connector one" that's maybe a sign that that particular combination of elements has overstayed its welcome.

I recently finished the game 2 times and I started to dread recorder puzzles because they made me think in different ways (specifically, that in addition to the items you have in front of you, you have to think about how you'll use a second copy of those items that only exists when your clone is around). But I think those puzzles have their own place and the game does some pretty good stuff with them. It's not really "timing" so much as waiting for long enough to give your future self enough time to hop on your platform or whatever. Of course I always got lazy when I was recording, and had to race against my past self's short attention span.

The game does get just a bit too reliant on the connectors though, I think 75% of the puzzles or more involve connectors. I think they're sort of meant to be the game's main gimmick, with other stuff largely being support for them. Although I did watch the "making of" documentary last night, and the game was actually conceived when they were prototyping the jammer for serious sam 4, and liked it so much they wanted to make a whole puzzle game out of it.

Captain Lavender posted:

In Dragon's Dogma, I get that I can change as the game goes on, but maybe I want to spend an hour with a few different body types and fighting styles and then pick. I don't really get that option now without re-doing all that intro stuff.

In DD you don't have to commit to any class because you can always change them whenever you want, and I usually end up playing as 4 different classes over the course of the whole game. The game does let you change your appearance indefinitely too, but only once you're through like 80-90% of the main game, which is pretty weak. I've definitely enjoyed being able to just console the face editor open whenever I want in fallout 4 to remove or add scars or whatever.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's one recorder puzzle I haven't beat yet that I can think of that requires a flying connector, and I can think of the solution of the puzzle right now in my head, but gently caress if I want to actually try it because I have no goddamn idea how long I need my clone to sit on the buttons for, and if I mess it up my guy will be stuck and I'd need to reset the puzzle and do all the set-up over again. Fun game and all, but man the recorder puzzles introduce an element of waiting that I don't appreciate.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Yeah, the recorder puzzles fail on a game level because most of the time all you do is just run to a point, sit there until you think you've been there long enough (or get super bored) and then move to another point to do the same thing. Talos Principle is an amazing game but anything that requires you to stand still doing nothing for long stretches is bad.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

kazil posted:

Yeah, the recorder puzzles fail on a game level because most of the time all you do is just run to a point, sit there until you think you've been there long enough (or get super bored) and then move to another point to do the same thing. Talos Principle is an amazing game but anything that requires you to stand still doing nothing for long stretches is bad.

I haven't played it in a while, but I'm pretty sure you can fast forward time if you need your time clones to be standing still for longer.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

grate deceiver posted:

I haven't played it in a while, but I'm pretty sure you can fast forward time if you need your time clones to be standing still for longer.

Welll I'll be damned, this is apparently true. It looks like it was added in a patch and doesn't have a default keybind, which explains why I didn't know. That will probably be helpful.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Oh, poo poo. I hated having to stand about for ages trying another way of passing a recorder puzzle. That information needs to be communicated a little better in game, or I need to pay more attention, not sure which.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Red Minjo posted:

Welll I'll be damned, this is apparently true. It looks like it was added in a patch and doesn't have a default keybind, which explains why I didn't know. That will probably be helpful.

I thought that was youtube trickery.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Calaveron posted:

GTA's writing fails now both because it's trying too hard on really obvious jokes and that reality has far surpassed the silliness it strives for.

What's really funny to me is that GTA games try so hard to be serious games, but Rockstar literally covers every available inch of the game with silly puns and word humour. For an 'American' setting, some of the background gags sure do read like lovely UK comedy jokes. I wonder which one of Mrs. Browns' Boys works for Rockstar North?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Digirat posted:

In DD you don't have to commit to any class because you can always change them whenever you want, and I usually end up playing as 4 different classes over the course of the whole game.

Stat growths are different per-class and your personal pawn might be totally wrong if you swap out, though.