Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mange Mite posted:

I still l8 ke the guy who got heat stroke and ended up with brain damage from leaving his mining rig on in his room.

this was made up and never actually happened

e: sorry for the lovely new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I liked the silver kid

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

bollig posted:

I have two favorite Bitcoin memories:

1) The kid who dumped liquid nitrogen into his room to supercharge his bitcoin mines.

2) There was some 4 part article about a guy who just somehow came into some bitcoins and decided that he wanted to redeem them. He had a set of well reasoned rules. Like he wouldn't give anyone his SSN and stuff like that. So he's trying to sell them locally and someone comes up to him and tries to exchange 'a garbage bag full of gift certificate cards'. When our hero was like 'absolutely not' the garbage bag guy was just like 'just trust me bro.'

3) The Bitcoin TV show guy who wanted to host a conference in Pattaya and then it came out he was a huge pedo

4) That time the CEO of Mt Gox FOUND $80 million in bitcoins he had misplaced

5) The guy that lost $9 million in bitcoins when he threw his HDD out

6) People lost millions of dollars from "brain wallets" because their chosen "password" was a dictionary phrase

7) That time Newsweek went against all sense of journalistic integrity and human decency and exposed some random japanese dude as Bitcoin's creator because they were rebranding and needed a huge scoop

I'm forgetting a ton of other stuff as well. Bitcoin is ALMOST as funny as Star Citizen.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Don't forget the guy back in the super early days that traded 10,000 Bitcoins for a pizza

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

skaboomizzy posted:

Don't forget the guy back in the super early days that traded 10,000 Bitcoins for a pizza

A good trade IMHO.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

revmoo posted:

5) The guy that lost $9 million in bitcoins when he threw his HDD out

I hear about this happening but I don't get it. Isn't all this based on a public ledger? I don't get how destroying local data translates into destroying bitcoins.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What about like a quarter of bitcoins being already mined by satoshi before everyone started mining?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Rexim posted:

I hear about this happening but I don't get it. Isn't all this based on a public ledger? I don't get how destroying local data translates into destroying bitcoins.

They aren't destroyed, but without the private key no one can use them.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Onkel Hedwig posted:

As far as I know after Silk Road went under one of the other market places became the new number one, and business is pretty much back to normal.

One of the more popular replacements suddenly shut down, and announced that they would return any unspent money. People assumed it was a scam, but within the week people started getting their money back. An illegal drug market is more honest than 95% of bitcoin businesses.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Tokamak posted:

An illegal drug market is more honest than 95% of bitcoin businesses.

As they are, at some point, backed by people with weapons.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

LegoPirateNinja posted:

As they are, at some point, backed by people with weapons.

Are you saying guns make people honest?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

my morning jackass posted:

turns out a political and economic ideology that relies on "rational actors" struggles when individuals are put under any sense of duress and are unable to act rationally.

who would have thought?

Beep blorp why are my fellow libertarians acting in an irrational manner. This is most unsettling.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Anyone remember Logansryche?

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/bitcoin-community-spotlight-logansryche/

This is his latest project:

https://www.gofundme.com/helpthefurvalleys

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Onkel Hedwig posted:

As far as I know after Silk Road went under one of the other market places became the new number one, and business is pretty much back to normal.

The Silk Road guy is the poster child for bitcoin stupidity. He not only left a trail of breadcrumbs for the police which brought down the drug operation, but he also legitimately thought that he was soliciting murder multiple times from bitcoin assassins. He is never getting out of prison.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I would like to become a Bitcoin assassin.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

I still l8 ke the guy who got heat stroke and ended up with brain damage from leaving his mining rig on in his room.

Is he the guy with the lint seasoned dried strawberries?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Concerned Citizen posted:

I would like to become a Bitcoin assassin.

Seems like an easy gig since you just take people's money and do nothing.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The_Franz posted:

The Silk Road guy is the poster child for bitcoin stupidity. He not only left a trail of breadcrumbs for the police which brought down the drug operation, but he also legitimately thought that he was soliciting murder multiple times from bitcoin assassins. He is never getting out of prison.

yeah iirc the "assassin" sent him a random pic of a dead body and was like "yep i killed him" and the silk road guy was like "cool here's 60 grand in bitcoins"

and i think one or all of those times the assassin was a cop

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Strategic Tea posted:

So let me get this right you can have dirty fiat backed by the military and industrial might of a superpower or you can have bitcoins backed by the ability to perform completely pointless calculations that will thrust a dagger into the evil hegemony of the Federal Reserve and it's filthy fiat currency?

Be a patriot! You know which one is more ideologically pure.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
was the guy that wanted to buy a proxima and set up a movie theater where people could watch whatever they want with like a double gonzo snack bar a bitcoiner? I seem to remember reading about it in another bitcoin thread and I wonder how his plans of "playing all the rescue rangers shows in the theater and disney won't care because they don't do it themselves" are panning out.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Parallax Scroll posted:

yeah iirc the "assassin" sent him a random pic of a dead body and was like "yep i killed him" and the silk road guy was like "cool here's 60 grand in bitcoins"

and i think one or all of those times the assassin was a cop

And that assassin was, you guessed it, corrupt DEA agent Carl Mark Force IV who pretended to be a french maid named "Carla" (among a shitload of other stupid things) while attempting to exploit the whole silk road bust for personal profit, and who is also in prison lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man Bitcoins are like sort sort of cursed poo poo, everything they touch turns out bad

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Your theory does not hold well with santa anna

quote:

In 1846, Mexico again invaded Texas, hoping to regain Texas; Santa Anna wrote to Mexico City saying he had no aspirations to the presidency, but would eagerly use his military experience to fight off the foreign invasion of Mexico as he had in the past. President Valentín Gómez Farías was desperate enough to accept the offer and allowed Santa Anna to return. Meanwhile, Santa Anna had secretly been dealing with representatives of the U.S., pledging that if he were allowed back in Mexico through the U.S. naval blockades, he would work to sell all contested territory to the U.S. at a reasonable price. Once back in Mexico at the head of an army, Santa Anna reneged on both of these agreements. Santa Anna declared himself president again and unsuccessfully tried to fight off the U.S. invasion.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tenzarin posted:

Your theory does not hold well with santa anna

santa anna is great hes like an insane military wile e coyote.

he was president of mexico 11 times, every time ending with him being kicked out and goign into exile

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Logansryche is my all time favourite buttcoin artist and I'm not surprised he has yet another hair brained scheme based around donations (that won't make him jack poo poo).

Not knowing anything about SecondLife though, I'm quite confused as to what the $2,000 he wants will go to. He should give another shot towards rejuvenating a theater in a town that can't sustain one, where all he thinks his outgoing costs will be on fountain soda and buying some DVDs from a thrift store.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

was the guy that wanted to buy a proxima and set up a movie theater where people could watch whatever they want with like a double gonzo snack bar a bitcoiner? I seem to remember reading about it in another bitcoin thread and I wonder how his plans of "playing all the rescue rangers shows in the theater and disney won't care because they don't do it themselves" are panning out.

That was Logansryche, who was linked a few times on this page. I still think Atlas was a bigger bitcoiner dumb poo poo but it is indeed a very close race. Atlas was going to evolve himself past the need for sleep with cosmic thinking or some poo poo, giving him more time in his obviously superior life to give women orgasms purely because of his inherent worth that he would share with them.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 19, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

EL BROMANCE posted:

Logansryche is my all time favourite buttcoin artist and I'm not surprised he has yet another hair brained scheme based around donations (that won't make him jack poo poo).

Not knowing anything about SecondLife though, I'm quite confused as to what the $2,000 he wants will go to. He should give another shot towards rejuvenating a theater in a town that can't sustain one, where all he thinks his outgoing costs will be on fountain soda and buying some DVDs from a thrift store.

wasn't he going to torrent movies and play filez at some point?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
thank you, and thank you for the atlas tip

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

consequences keep people honest

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Professor Shark posted:

I liked the silver kid

Johnnie Walker. One of my favorite exchanges was when one of the buyers of a silver ingot he made complained about it looking like a piece of poo poo. Around the same time, Johnnie Walker posted videos of his process, involving melting silver containing junk in a crucible on his porch with a handheld torch, eyeballing the purity by tossing bits and pieces in, and leaving scorch marks all over his landlord's patio. He would then beat the resulting mass with a hammer on his concrete basement floor, and go at it with a power drill to sand it and manage to sand himself as much as the silver. After seeing his videos, the buyer simply posted that he now understood why his silver looked like poo poo.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
The best bitcoin thread on SA is the one in YOSPOS.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

XK posted:

Johnnie Walker. One of my favorite exchanges was when one of the buyers of a silver ingot he made complained about it looking like a piece of poo poo. Around the same time, Johnnie Walker posted videos of his process, involving melting silver containing junk in a crucible on his porch with a handheld torch, eyeballing the purity by tossing bits and pieces in, and leaving scorch marks all over his landlord's patio. He would then beat the resulting mass with a hammer on his concrete basement floor, and go at it with a power drill to sand it and manage to sand himself as much as the silver. After seeing his videos, the buyer simply posted that he now understood why his silver looked like poo poo.

Also failing to understand how purity worked. Going from memory but I'm pretty sure something along the lines of 'All I need to do to make 99.999999 silver is keep adding this silver I have here and the purity will get to where it needs to be' came out of his mouth during his YouTube heroics.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If bitcoin is not real is our money real?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

SumYungGui posted:

Also failing to understand how purity worked. Going from memory but I'm pretty sure something along the lines of 'All I need to do to make 99.999999 silver is keep adding this silver I have here and the purity will get to where it needs to be' came out of his mouth during his YouTube heroics.

Yup, and he also said he made the ingots a little over-weight in order to make up for any discrepancy. As far as I can tell, he completely disappeared not long after. His landlord probably kicked him out for scorching up the place, which his landlord had apparently complained about, and he ended up out on his rear end without two nickles to rub together.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

vyst posted:

Only gold is real. End the fed. Ron Paul 2012!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

vyst posted:

What money?

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Tumble posted:

Worse, Libertarian ideals.

lol

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Odds are decent that this arrangement isn't legally enforceable at all and she could probably cash out all of it, dump him, and keep it.

It would cost a couple hundred bucks to talk to a lawyer about it. She should do that.

This is a public service reminder to young people that lawyers still exist, they do offer valuable services, and they are not monsters.

Any lawyer that doesn't laugh in her face with this story is probably scamming her themselves. I posted the story because it was funny; she's lost the 6k and I think she knows she lost the 6k. Dunno what she plans to do with the bitcoins that are apparently in her name but who even knows if they're in her name; I mentioned a few points raised in this thread to her about ownership and she started to pale and then start googling things on her phone.

She'll be fine, $6k is an expensive lesson but this sort of life lesson is priceless.

Ivor Biggun posted:

Assuming he makes it through his first year without failing anything he's probably going to want another $6k for the next years tuition. And every subsequent year after that until he gives up or graduates.

Yeah, I think the odds of him making it to second year are approximately 0 so I think this is a non-issue.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Man Bitcoins are like sort sort of cursed poo poo, everything they touch turns out bad

"You best start believin' in Bitcoin stories, Miss Doctor."

*Walks into the moonlight*

*Is actually a bitcoin mining rig*

"Yer in one!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Odds are decent that this arrangement isn't legally enforceable at all and she could probably cash out all of it, dump him, and keep it.

It would cost a couple hundred bucks to talk to a lawyer about it. She should do that.

This is a public service reminder to young people that lawyers still exist, they do offer valuable services, and they are not monsters.

... he said, while recommending the use of a lawyer to steal

• Locked thread