Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Diogines posted:

I guess I am writing this because I feel badly for Goons who made... more er "sensible" votes and got an Enkidel they are not happy with?

The sensible thing probably would've been to accept that Naomi would go off into some loveless political marriage, and get ourselves set up as a prosperous merchant.

Like, really. I think I could get behind that idea, if we were doing it over. The life-goal of "Be Narod" is one I still consider wise, for the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The problem is that, with a game of this sheer magnitude, it'll be impossible to make everyone happy. Some of us are still upset that we aren't High Priest of Asherah, others are mad that we didn't set up a little love shack with Paebel somewhere, not to mention the Goons still waiting for the day we make Puabi into waifu #3, after Snarls and Naomi.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever be "happy", hell, I'm still upset that Ethan died - for the handful of you that still remember that - but, I'm having a hell of a fun time in this journey, and with the arguing. I think the debates and the (mostly) friendly arguing is one of my favorite parts of this game, that and watching everyone else's character development like Uriah and Danal and our kids.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Vavrek posted:

The sensible thing probably would've been to accept that Naomi would go off into some loveless political marriage, and get ourselves set up as a prosperous merchant.

Like, really. I think I could get behind that idea, if we were doing it over. The life-goal of "Be Narod" is one I still consider wise, for the time.

It's too late. Uriah is our Narod.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Diogines posted:

You are sitting at a table at your favorite tavern in Zepath, at the edge of the rich part of town.  Wealthy Blooded Zepathan men mix in this place with the merchants and craftsmen of the city.  It is a lively and festive place and even at the latest hours of the night there are usually at least one or two patrons still inside, even if they are asleep at a table.  It is a fine place to drink and indeed, while you were still in Zepath, this was our favorite tavern.  Many feasts were had here with you and your men to celebrate your adventures.  It is here that you met your friend Lefkandi.  You managed to convince the son of the owner of this fine tavern to run the Snarls Head, an inn and tavern you had built in Kavodel.

People around you eat and drink and sing and laugh... yet none of them are making any sounds.  In fact there are no sounds at all.

Ishamal comes over to the table, he places his spear and shield against the table.  He takes off his helmet and places it on the table.

You can probably count on one hand with room to spare the number of times you have seen Ishamal put his armor on?  Twice when Zepath was attacked and uh... wait.  Is that it?  Wait no, he did when you first met him.  So... three times in 46 years?  He does not look happy at all.

Ishamal says to you in a stern tone with a hint of fatigue at the edge, "You have been banned for entry into Ur.  No further decision-" Ishamal pauses as he carefully considers his words "-has been reached, but you may be removed.  I imagine it is being seriously discussed.  No such decision has been reached in Zepath.  As of now, you have not been barred from entry into Zepath.  If you make it back alive."

The tavern seems to be getting smaller, as the walls and ceiling slowly begin to contract.  "Last call!" says the barkeep and the patrons inside shuffle out to drunkenly return to their homes for the night, their footsteps producing no sounds and no voices coming from their lips as they speak.  You see the door to the tavern getting closer to you as the tavern distorts...

You motion to the innkeeper for being you a beer.  The contracting walls and ceiling slow a bit as the innkeeper, cleaning a cup with a rag behind the bar looks to Ishamal who nods once.

There is a certain sort of very bitter herb like a horseradish plant in Ur which some Blooded men enjoy in their beer.  Blooded men because it would be torturous to others.  It is much more bitter than horseradish.  Still, some swear by it, however it is definitely an acquired taste.  

The innkeeper takes a large spoonful of the stuff from a jar behind the bar, too large in fact and places it into a cup of beer which he brings to you, setting it on the table in front of you.

The walls and ceiling all seem to be moving towards you.  You say to Ishamal. "Thanks for the heads up. I won't stop trying to save these people. Sorry you can't be here."

You take a sip from your beer.  It is terrible, far too bitter.  Ishamal takes a sip from his own cup and says "It was required to tell you." You want to place down the beer... but you can't and you continue to gulp the stuff down.  It should only be had in sips...

Ishamal adds "To speak even a word in kindness or sympathy for your situation would only embolden you.  To give you orders would only cause you to defy them on principal.  I will give you truth-" your mouth is burning.  The cup should be empty but it does not run out, you choke and gag from it even as your eyes water and your mouth burns from the hot spices.

Ishamal's tone is not angry but is dark and grim as he speaks "Ithma perishes and Uriah screams in a maddened rage even as he is coated in his friends blood, trying to return the dead to life.  Nahari, David and Asahel drag him from the remains somehow and he weeps day and night at what he has done, inconsolable.  He deserves better but does not get it.  Your mens confidence is shattered." STOP! STOP! You try to yank the cup from your lips but you cannot and gallons of the foul bitter drink goes down your choking throat.  The walls are closing in on you, closer and closer by the moment as the building distorts and moves you closer to the door.

"Uriah is deep in his grief but not for overly long.  He perishes in the next confrontation, as do many of your men though you survive somehow, your Well greatly diminished." The door is getting closer, even as you choke at rancid beer.  "None of your men survive the next encounter and even the terrified Gebabans who run for their lives are dead or... worse by the following day.  Ruth escapes with a handful of young men, she and they alone, far from safety or home.  Asahel and David are truly courageous, at the end.  Later Naomi..."

You reach the door.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 18, 2016

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Open the door.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

TheCog posted:

No one dropped us in a dangerous situation? We, of our own free will, knowing we weren't allowed to use the arsenal at our disposal, because using it can set off a nuke under our feet and kill everyone we love, decided to go off into the monster infested wilderness, where we judged we had the skills to survive without using the arsenal. But when we did this, we accepted there was a chance we'd run into thing we couldn't beat, and we'd take losses, or die, because, as we were explicitly told over and over, dying is better than becoming a hunger demon.

"Yeah, opening the door to the arsenal, as well as spending any time there has a chance to release a virulent strain of ebola into the water supply, so no matter what comes at you, please don't open it". So yes, I think Ish and the Melachim had the right idea, when it turns out we can tap on HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE, miles away, and knock them all out. For all we know we could kill them. We were offered a chance to stop living among men, as a man, if we didn't want to be limited to what men can do, aka, not accessing the arsenal, then we should have taken them up on it.

You know how we could have avoided this situation? Not going out into the wilderness, not trying to save the gebians, not accepting ish as a teacher if we weren't willing to accept his rules, but pinning this on anyone other than ourselves is utter blindness to how we've been behaving. We've gotten wings, and haven't even made it home without revealing to four separate people that we can fly. As far as everyone watching us is concerned if we found out the church of El was even slightly wrong, we'd be dismanteling social order before dinner.

This is very true. We wanted to come out here and got in over our heads because we're trying to do an impossible thing. But as you said the alternative is to do what Ishamal does and what the Melachim want which is nothing. They want us to have free will and not influence us, but they really seem to want us to sit at home and let the world spin. Nothing wrong with that (as far as we know), but it doesn't make for a good story.

In other news I got to use the phrase "The situation is not so dire" with one of my patients today. So thank you for that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Develop an acquired taste for super bitter drinks. We can handle it next time.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"Only one has perfect knowledge. I reject your soothsaying. El will provide" Then chug that cup deeply while staring Not!Ishamal in the eye.

e: Ahahaha Ishamal just totally bailed us out. In giving us a "lesson" he's basically told us what our most likely future is and now we can plan against it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Voting to pray some more. I love praying.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
As far as I'm concerned, and I think I'm not alone in this, the banning from Ur will open a new chapter in Enkidel's life. Sure, it's unfortunate, we made poor decisions and will suffer for it, but what is a story without suffering? If Enkidel always made the right decisions, I think the story would be pretty boring. As much as Diog is not building any narrative structure into the story, and as much as we try to be genre savvy, I think that our conceits and failures produce a much richer and more narratively compelling result.

I can't wait to see where this leads. Next time there's a vote on what adventure to embark on, a trip to Baitel finally won't be an option. If Enkidel doesn't immediately faceplant into an even bigger demon, who knows what we'll discover in the future? Maybe with a few centuries of penance we can even win back some trust. Or maybe we'll finally give the establishment the finger for good and leave to found our own civilization. Whatever happens, I expect it will be at least as interesting as what we've done so far.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Basically yeah, we can sit at home and auto vote "Do what Ishmael says" and get the high score but it would be a boring story. The other option is do things that aren't optimal which leads to ruin, but at least it's an interesting ruin.

Kick in the door, vomit bitter beer over everything and rage rage rage against the darkness.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Stop the flow of [???] to Uriah

He's gonna gently caress it up and accidentally explode Ithma instead.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Voting to ban Ishamal from Kavodel.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Hope for a better outcome, perhaps this is praying but I am not so sure anymore. Open the door.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

after we wake up gather our balls

Inform them we received word from on high, these people may not be saved

They are to go north, to Zepath, in the break between demon assaults we hopefully have. They take Snarls

We will stay here, hoping that El will smile upon us

Else all shall perish here, except ourselves

If they refuse we do what is necessary to move them, including reveal our wings and poo poo

Re-evaluate our options when our balls are safe

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wonder in an equally grim and dark tone: "And just out of curiosity, how much of that is just bad luck and culmination of circumstance, and how much is being orchestrated to punish me?"

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SerSpook posted:

after we wake up gather our balls

Inform them we received word from on high, these people may not be saved

They are to go north, to Zepath, in the break between demon assaults we hopefully have. They take Snarls

We will stay here, hoping that El will smile upon us

Else all shall perish here, except ourselves

If they refuse we do what is necessary to move them, including reveal our wings and poo poo

Re-evaluate our options when our balls are safe

No, don't do any of those things.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Stop the flow of [???]. Savor the nuances of the beer.

We're more blooded than anyone, it stands to reason that we can develop a taste for more bitter beer than anyone!

Ralith fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 19, 2016

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

No, don't do any of those things.

No, we should do those things, they are good and might spare our Balls. We already lost a pair to Ishamal, let's not lose this set

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Diogines posted:

We run the game in a simulationist manner, which is to say what happens happens and nothing is done for "narrative" reasons. Nothing happens because it is cool or fair or dramatic or tells a good story.

Given that, a thought or two I'd like to share.  This recent adventure really made it clear.  This whole game has been an experiment, some things worked, some did not.

Things I learned so far.
A.  Like Denziroh before him, Goons can come up with clever and funny and entertaining ideas.

B.  Goons can as a group stick to a plan though it can be tough at times.

C.  Expecting Goons to remember information from months past and rely on it in making their decisions is ridiculous and far too much to expect.  No blame to any of you or even as a group but yeah, that's just too much to expect.  For a while "power posters" were good at reminding everyone else about important information but they mostly gave up over time and I don't blame them.

D.  Goons as a group can make moral judgments on simple matters with all of the information in front of them but can't make judgments about more complicated ones.

E.  Goons as a group will pick an option which offers an apparent maximum payoff regardless of risks or downsides, almost without fail.  Or well if not without fail, then more frequently than they probably should?

F.  Goons as a group are bad at reading comprehension.  Or skipping mid-update posts.  Or skimming.  It has to be one of those.

There is a saying that none of us are as dumb as all of is and I think we've all seen that here?  Given the fact that this is what guided Enkidel, is it any surprise that a powerful being or beings took a look at him and revoked his passport, banning entry to Ur?

I guess I am writing this because I feel badly for Goons who made... more er "sensible" votes and got an Enkidel they are not happy with?  There are no "right" votes but there are certainly votes more likely to get you outcomes that you want.  If it makes you feel any better, I empathize with you!  I did not writeIf we do another game after, I need to keep the above in mind.  This post to say the game is over or anything but yeah, I get you. If we do another game after, I need to keep the above in mind.  Or have you in the body of an insane clown god with limitless power and a high priest who can check your instruction manual on demad like Denziroh.

Update soon.
I don't mind where we wound up, I think that, as a whole, we made decisions we thought were... right, I can't regret votes I disagree with, because without them we wouldn't have had awesome situations I would have missed out on. My only real regret is going to be if we lead to a game over or go hunger demon, as long as we can go to Zepath and Kavodel, I'm happy(ish).

I do think a more result oriented voting scheme would help goons generally, but that's not really Diogs responsibility.

I don't know, what I'm trying to transmit is that I love this game, and it wouldn't be the same without all the wrong-voters I report every time, and that its ok that we screw up.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Also, the drink is bitter? Fine! Drink deep from the bitter beer. Savor it. We ordered this beer, we're going to finish it.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Diogines posted:

"Uriah is deep in his grief but not for overly long.  He perishes in the next confrontation, as do many of your men though you survive somehow, your Well greatly diminished." The door is getting closer, even as you choke at rancid beer.  "None of your men survive the next encounter and even the terrified Gebabans who run for their lives are dead or... worse by the following day.  Ruth escapes with a handful of young men, she and they alone, far from safety or home."

Ah-ha! It's a fake! Ruth is a man!

Grasping at straws, I know. If this truly is Ishamal, he is telling us what we already know - to continue the way we currently are is to fail. That's the bitter truth.

Drink even deeper, refuse the door. Accept the "truth" of things. The only way we make it out of here is to stop deluding ourselves that we can save all of these people.

Even if we continue to try to save them, we must accept what is likely to happen.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Task Manager posted:

Ah-ha! It's a fake! Ruth is a man!

Grasping at straws, I know. If this truly is Ishamal, he is telling us what we already know - to continue the way we currently are is to fail.

Drink even deeper, refuse the door. Accept the "truth" of things. The only way we make it out of here is to stop deluding ourselves that we can save all of these people.

Yup.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

the_steve posted:

Wonder in an equally grim and dark tone: "And just out of curiosity, how much of that is just bad luck and culmination of circumstance, and how much is being orchestrated to punish me?"
This needs to happen.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Jesus.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
This feels very sketchy, it plays on our worst fears and... I don't know, it seems awfully out of character of Ish to talk like this.

I think the issue with this story and with how the world reacts to us as characters is that the PtB are immortal and as such percieve time in a way we couldn't possibly understand and as such they could never percieve time the way we do. Add to the fact that we as players of this CYOA wants to do things in timespans of a few years, whereas I figure the PtB would rather us do things (or to be honest, not do things) for tens of years.

This presents a pretty big problem for how we're going to play Enkidel, because it wouldn't make a fun game if the updates Dio does would only recollect for every year passed in the game instead of being able to micromanage most major (and minor) events happening to us.

The PtB would probably rather we would've done the things we've done to happen in a timespan of perhaps 2-300 years, and even then we'd probably wouldn't have done even half of what we've done during that time.

How do people view Enkidel? I view him (and try to vote) as a kind, greedy, curious person who wants to change everything for the better for mankind, who is skeptical of his own faith (and who wouldn't, with all the mixed messages and poo poo he has seen and taken part of) and as someone who truly wants to understand everything.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

the_steve posted:

It is all us

We knew this could happen when we left.

We gambled on super good luck or literal divine intervention.

These did not happen.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Greggster posted:

This feels very sketchy, it plays on our worst fears and... I don't know, it seems awfully out of character of Ish to talk like this.

We will know based on Ithma's state when waking up I guess. But this looks like wishful thinking to me.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Serioustalk folks, lets assume for a moment everything Ish is saying is true:

What do we do? As I see it, there are three choices

1.) We say "so sorry gebians", get the balls, and leave. We can bring a few of the young men, but that's it. If we do this, it would have been better to teleport the children, but its better than everyone dying.

2.) We stay the course. What Ish is saying comes to pass. Everyone dies. We are filled with grief, and weak, we may go hunger, we might not. Regardless, it makes a successful, heroic trip, into a disaster.

3.) We send the balls away, we love them too much to see them all die, and Kavodel needs them. Say "gently caress it, this is on us Gebians", I said El would deliver, we'll deliver. Make an altar, vow to give out next two centuries to whoever El says, no questions asked, even if he doesn't provide any help here. Grab the Gebians, leg it to zepath, in a deathmarch. Probably die on the way there. Accept this fact, this is our atonement for hubris of thinking we could save everyone and taking the telport and using it wrong. We're not doing this as a finger to the Melachim (even though it could be taken that way), we're doing it because mercy is never misplaced. Because we made a promise, and we're going to do our best to keep it, even if it kills us. We're just not going to let our children and balls die beside us.

3.) is my vote, personally.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

the_steve posted:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

TheCog posted:

Serioustalk folks, lets assume for a moment everything Ish is saying is true:

What do we do? As I see it, there are three choices

1.) We say "so sorry gebians", get the balls, and leave. We can bring a few of the young men, but that's it. If we do this, it would have been better to teleport the children, but its better than everyone dying.

2.) We stay the course. What Ish is saying comes to pass. Everyone dies. We are filled with grief, and weak, we may go hunger, we might not. Regardless, it makes a successful, heroic trip, into a disaster.

3.) We send the balls away, we love them too much to see them all die, and Kavodel needs them. Say "gently caress it, this is on us Gebians", I said El would deliver, we'll deliver. Make an altar, vow to give out next two centuries to whoever El says, no questions asked, even if he doesn't provide any help here. Grab the Gebians, leg it to zepath, in a deathmarch. Probably die on the way there. Accept this fact, this is our atonement for hubris of thinking we could save everyone and taking the telport and using it wrong. We're not doing this as a finger to the Melachim (even though it could be taken that way), we're doing it because mercy is never misplaced. Because we made a promise, and we're going to do our best to keep it, even if it kills us. We're just not going to let our children and balls die beside us.

3.) is my vote, personally.

This is true, people should read this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Ralith posted:

[b]Stop the flow of [???].
It is still decreasing. You could stop it.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 19, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I don't buy it. Ithma might die, sure, but in a way that is somehow Uriahs fault and covering him in blood? The wound is already sealed. Uriah isn't preforming surgery, he is faith-healing.
Everybody but us dying, us failing spectacularly at everything? This all seems like all of our Worst Fears coming true at once.

But, ok. Worst case scenario and what Dreamish says is right; We now know the future enough to prepare for it. Whatever happens, when we wake up we should call out for Amok or Azzazel. If we are truly banished, we need every edge we can get.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

I dunno, I don't buy it. Ithma might die, sure, but in a way that is somehow Uriahs fault and covering him in blood? The wound is already sealed. Uriah isn't preforming surgery, he is faith-healing.
Everybody but us dying, us failing spectacularly at everything? This all seems like all of our Worst Fears coming true at once.

But, ok. Worst case scenario and what Dreamish says is right; We now know the future enough to prepare for it. Whatever happens, when we wake up we should call out for Amok or Azzazel. If we are truly banished, we need every edge we can get.

They will not answer.

And we are not banned from Zepath yet

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The PtB taking our Balls is expected considering our relationship to them. Removing the base of those that worship us and the inner core of a new kingdom makes sense as far as a punishment goes. This seems out of character for Ish, but only in the context of normal conversations. This is pretty brutal but only because we're at a crossroads.

Tell Ishamal that we're sorry for all of this and to meet us on the border if he can. Bring booze.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

The PtB taking our Balls is par for the course. Removing the base of those that worship us and the inner core of a new kingdom makes sense as far as a punishment goes. This seems out of character for Ish, but only in the context of normal conversations. This is pretty brutal but only because we're at a crossroads.

Tell Ishamal that we're sorry for all of this and to meet us on the border if he can. Bring booze.

They aren't even doing this

They are letting our decisions do that

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Ish is trying to get us to dump the gebians. Ish has never lied to us, when he can't tell us things, he just doesn't, but he's giving us now exactly how he sees things will go down. We saw *one* of the horrible demons in this wasteland, its gonna get *worse*. No, Ish is telling us how he sees it. What can help us in knowing that there are horrible demons out here? We already know. We still have 600 slow moving people, and are surrounded by death on every side.

We did this. Us. We have to man up, and accept it. But not kill our balls in the process. They deserve better.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

SerSpook posted:

They aren't even doing this

They are letting our decisions do that

I'm thinking its more of a 'bad poo poo will happen and we will not help' which is the same as taking them on their own.

E: If our magic really is a quantuum mechanics kind of thing, then very powerful beings must be able to see the multiverse and collapse the waveform into an outcome they desire.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

TheCog posted:

Ish is trying to get us to dump the gebians. Ish has never lied to us, when he can't tell us things, he just doesn't, but he's giving us now exactly how he sees things will go down. We saw *one* of the horrible demons in this wasteland, its gonna get *worse*. No, Ish is telling us how he sees it. What can help us in knowing that there are horrible demons out here? We already know. We still have 600 slow moving people, and are surrounded by death on every side.

We did this. Us. We have to man up, and accept it. But not kill our balls in the process. They deserve better.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

TheCog posted:

If Ithma dies with Uriah covered in blood, do this.