Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Eonwe posted:

its magical

it will bring you guys closer together

But I've already planned the dance of the thirty-six space scarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also the space bulldozer reinforces what a god drat hack chris roberts is

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuzzknot posted:

But I've already planned the dance of the thirty-six space scarves.

making something a "space-something" makes it better

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

The Dune movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's totally hot garbage, but for some reason I love little parts of it, like Paul riding the sandworm when the electric guitar and chorus come screaming in.

The eighties were an uncomfortable time for incidental music. Synths were everywhere, and it felt right that they should get involved rather than those brass orchestras.

Then Ladyhawke happened. And to a lesser extent Legend, but I give that a pass because Tim Curry is god.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the space bulldozer is kevin costner's talent agency and the burning wreckage is chris robert's career

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
seriously tho when buttrock starts playing on an 80s movie it makes me happy

i wish it were more of a thing

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Don't worry, CIG is just using this period to know how to handle griefing

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6259710/#Comment_6259710

CIG, please stop laughing at "griefing" videos

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6263399/#Comment_6263399

Angry "tester"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6262722/#Comment_6262722

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Eonwe posted:

making something a "space-something" makes it better

Obviously. It'd be loving stupid to just have a random bulldozer in space.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
In some reddit post jerking off about 2015 and Star Citizen, I was remembered about the following ship that was once created and I thought about what happened to the Vanguard

Bet a Javelin that the rotational elements are going to remain static due to time constraints, just like the beloved treads and engine glow taken from the Vanguard fanbase, cut cut cut, but here have a toilet.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 19, 2016

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Eonwe posted:

witcher 3 - possibly the ARPG of all time
star citizen - a "game"

star citizen - arguably a "game"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuzzknot posted:

Obviously. It'd be loving stupid to just have a random bulldozer in space.

i like the space trench with space gravity that the burning wreckage gets pushed in

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Star Citizen: Still in the plans.

I thought the point of a stretch goal was that the extra money doesnt take people away from one aspect of the game, instead it lets them add more aspects and bring in people to handle that.

oh who am i kidding burn in hell Star Citizen

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Thanks guys, at some point I probably will end up reading it again and hopefully the language won't slide right off my brain.

I'm curious now, do you have the same issue with LOTR, because 95% of people who I've talked to have the same issue with it. Dune didn't intimidate me for the language but some of the themes were pretty far out there, the ecology one is the big surprise.

And if you're into language intimidation, Eco is small change compared to any James Joyce. And I've read Finnegan's Wake (tl;dr it doesn't make sense).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sorla78 posted:

In some reddit post jerking off about 2015 and Star Citizen, I was remembered about the following ship that was once created and I thought about what happened to the Vanguard

Bet a Javelin that the rotational elements are going to remain static due to time constraints, just like the beloved treads and engine glow taken from the Vanguard fanbase, cut cut cut, but here have a toilet.

i dont know much about poo poo but isnt the point of the spinning stuff to create artificial gravity

but don't all the other ships in this god drat universe have artificial gravity without this? so why does this one spin

whats the point of the spinning

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

i like the space trench with space gravity that the burning space wreckage gets pushed in

You missed a 'space', bud.

edit:

ewe2 posted:

And if you're into language intimidation, Eco is small change compared to any James Joyce. And I've read Finnegan's Wake (tl;dr it doesn't make sense).

Were you sufficiently drunk?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
so theres 260 employees

but so little seems to get done

there's probably 12 people being worked to death and 200 people who have no clue what their job is

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

You missed a 'space', bud.

edit:

thank you

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

i dont know much about poo poo but isnt the point of the spinning stuff to create artificial gravity

It's more to provide enough force outwards that you stick to the floor, simulating gravity.

Why it's loving retarded in that ship is that to move between the rotating components you have to climb to the hub, then back down into the compartment you want. And it's unbalanced for rotation, so it'll be gently spinning to port. I didn't even pick on the fact that the front looks like an oil drill.

Given a rough idea of the size, we could pick holes in the rotation speed. That looks on the slow side to me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

2DCAT posted:

star citizen - arguably a "game"

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Didn't their lord and savior Christ Roberts do a grief in the livestream? I may have dreamed this,

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

sorla78 posted:

Can you imagine the physics in rotational bits of that jpeg? It'd be tossing out spacemen like a roman candle.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hav posted:

Not when I started out, but it's a great advertisement for alcoholism.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Berious posted:

Didn't their lord and savior Christ Roberts do a grief in the livestream? I may have dreamed this,

This is because he had no idea how to play the game, not because he intentionally wanted to. :downs:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Eonwe posted:

but don't all the other ships in this god drat universe have artificial gravity without this? so why does this one spin

whats the point of the spinning

Main problem is that this ship has no reason of existing without

A) Mining (and a place to mine, of course)
b) Economy

and by extension

C) Crafting
D) Persistence

It can change shape and form 3 time over before even one component necessary for its existence get released. Also there has to be a balancing act where this thing dont end up being better at hauling than a HUll B-E

Also i wonder why nothing bigger than the constellation/freelancer/retaliator seem to be in the works. Could there, be, i dont know, a glaring problem with the engine being unable to render correctly a localised physic grid once it reach a certain size ? Hmmm ?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

aleksendr posted:

Also i wonder why nothing bigger than the constellation/freelancer/retaliator seem to be in the works. Could there, be, i dont know, a glaring problem with the engine being unable to render correctly a localised physic grid once it reach a certain size ? Hmmm ?

i sure hope so

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Someone really should make a God Emperor of Dune movie.

Actually, no. It would be loving terrible but I would be thoroughly entertained with a 3.5 hour film starring a Leto Atredes talking Sandworm shouting at people while his all female royal guard make out with each other and slaughter intruders while giving birth.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
The good news is we've got multiple parties in the same instance...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQjo8Hgmwps

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

And you guys said that the Endeavor would be useless.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Avalanche posted:

Actually, no. It would be loving terrible but I would be thoroughly entertained with a 3.5 hour film starring a Leto Atredes talking Sandworm shouting at people while his all female royal guard make out with each other and slaughter intruders while giving birth.

Don't kinkshame plz.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

G0RF posted:

The premier sci-fi body horror game

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

the entire video is great

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do what I do; stop caring. I check in but honestly January is slow time over at CIG anyway. Right now I'm playing Witcher 3 and enjoying it thoroughly.
I began replaying it when someone mentioned it itt

It's kinda sad you can skip the cut scenes and there's no bad eight minute speech by king #3 about how there's no survival without victory or whatever

and nobody gave me a five minute tour of roach and i'm not immersed by the 3rd person perspective also gareth is not morbidly obese

also their models have expressions and there are other colors than grey but other than that it's pretty ok i guess

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Hav posted:

The eighties were an uncomfortable time for incidental music. Synths were everywhere, and it felt right that they should get involved rather than those brass orchestras.

Then Ladyhawke happened. And to a lesser extent Legend, but I give that a pass because Tim Curry is god.

Stop eatin' muh Sesame Cake.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Speaking of big jpegs they had half a walking tour of the idris to show us at citcon. How's that jpeg coming along? Did Chris say redo it? :iiam:

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
dangerousanalysis - makes you think

(Chris R in the Crosshair, but first Tim Schaefer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFX0f_YUn1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlzEXB_Wgo

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Berious posted:

Speaking of big jpegs they had half a walking tour of the idris to show us at citcon. How's that jpeg coming along? Did Chris say redo it? :iiam:

they've had an entire studio working on it for something like 2 years now. Its a ship. Its not like they're designing 24 different levels for a first person shooter. Its one ship. lol. what they have shown does look really good, which is why they're cutting up pieces of hallways and pasting it into the javalin and other ships already.

they're doing the same thing with the starfarer, copy pasta into freelancer and the reliant or whatever.
which isn't bad because thats what they should have been doing all along to develop the game.

except they fleeced everyone by advertising variants that look nothing like these ships do now that are coming never

redwalrus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 20, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

when was the last time we heard something direct from God Emperor Roberts or Padishah Emperor Sandi anywho?

they've been pretty quiet for a while, maybe they're busy channeling funds into bank accounts and building a secret underground bunker to retreat to when the whales revolt

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

when was the last time we heard something direct from God Emperor Roberts or Padishah Emperor Sandi anywho?

they've been pretty quiet for a while, maybe they're busy channeling funds into bank accounts and building a secret underground bunker to retreat to when the whales revolt

Chris is super busy coding into the early hours and Sandi is super busy training CS staff

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Daztek posted:

You underestimate the popularity of playing dress up in games :v:

Yes but this is a game that's guaranteed to have 20 second unescapable dressing animations for putting on or taking off any piece of clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Chris is super busy coding into the early hours and Sandi is super busy training CS staff

Nayara 'Pusher' Fell is Sandi Gardiner's character name in SQ42. I wonder if she picked the nickname herself or if someone at Foundry42 in Manchester did.

• Locked thread