Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

That's a nice touch. If you've been a bad enough friend to Kate, is it even possible to succeed?

Its possible, yeah. The short version is, the first three choices are based on how Max treated Kate previously. If she stepped up to David, answered the phone call at the diner, and told her to go the police, then the first three are just freebies across the board. If you did the opposites(as well as the 4th, 5th and 6th questions no matter what), then there's one answer that she won't take badly out of a set of four (three for 4 and 6). Mess up twice at any time and.... well.... it doesn't end well. But the short version is yes, its possible to save her even if you've been poo poo to Kate, it's just really hard.

PS: Blame Jefferson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Air is lava! posted:

Wow. I just looked it up and now I kinda want Panzer to show that of.
The diaglouge you aparently missed:
Kate: Why? Its all over, like for me.

Mark: Knock off this martyr crap

Kate: What do you want from me?

Mark: I want you too be honest..

Kate: Nobody believes me anyway

Mark: Stop acting so brittle

Kate: Being on a viral video does that

Mark: Maybe this is your way of getting attention

Kate: That's really mean Mr.Jefferson, you just dont get it..

Kate: Just leave me alone!

Mark: You have to talk to me Kate

Kate: Why? It's all over.. like me

I never even saw that whole conversation.

Holy poo poo. Rare is the day when a video game's writing has me shaking in anger, but that does it spectacularly.

While all three are culpable, I feel like David has his reasons for being a gigantic dickwad. Wrong actions, right reasons, ya know? He's doing his duty, but he does it as a soldier, not as a parent/guardian. So he get's the bronze medal of failure in this contest.

Nathan...oh, the myriad reasons there are to choke the life out of him. Unfortunately, money talks, and we've already seen how that works out, not to mention he's still got the whole psychotic armed nutjob vibe going for him. Even if Max did blame him here, he'll just walk away from it unscathed, and with a whole helluva lot more wrath aiming Max's direction. He still would've been my target of choice here, had it not been for the quoted dialogue above. Enjoy your silver medal, Nathan, you piece of trash.

Which brings us to Mr. Jefferson. Sometimes the failing of the best burns worst of all, and this is a prime example. As a teacher/mentor/adult figure, he has a responsibility to his students, maybe not to protect them outright, but at the very least to hear them out and try to see things from their perspective (hell, he's a photography professor, he should understand perspective perfectly well). But he was someone Kate and Max respected above most others, someone they thought they could always trust to be there for them. To turn around and focus the blame on Kate...it would be like having your heart ripped out, then and there. You expect your enemies to do that, not a close friend. Maybe it's not what Jefferson was aiming to do, but he (and everyone else) should realize that words are weapons: you have to be just as careful with them as any tool used to take a life. Because they can quite possibly have the same effect.

Blame the human condition; also Jefferson

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

okay but have you guys seen how hunky Jefferson is

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
It was a tossup for me between blaming Mr Jefferson or Nathan. The thing that tipped it in favor of Nathan was while Mr Jeffferson is a poo poo head and totally guilty of contributing to her suicide attempt, he at least owned up to it and admitted he was a piece of poo poo when called out. Nathan, and David, denied it and tried to push the blame back on Max.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

I saved Kate, but it wasn't quite as easy (I didn't tell her to go to the police.) I also blamed Nathan in my playthrough, since he's an unrepentant dick.

I hadn't seen that full convo, though, and that's goddamn horrible. Jefferson can go straight to hell for not being a good mentor figure when Kate needed it most.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I'm kinda disappointed you can't point the finger at everyone but I can see why they didn't let you, it's what everyone would choose if they could.

I really like Mark (as a character not a person) here.
He's certainly shouldn't have said what he did to Kate and the "The lady doth protest too much" line is such an rear end in a top hat thing to say. He's basically saying "She was annoying me, she must be in the wrong here." He completely fails Kate when she needed him the most.

However I don't think his handling of the situation as a whole makes him the monster people are saying he is. Remember that to him both Kate and Nathan are just his students and while he has a duty to protect Kate from Nathan if her accusations are true, he also has a duty to protect Nathan from Kate if they're false. Who should he believe? The words of two students or the words of seemingly everyone else at that party and the head of security?

He shouldn't have said what he did to one of his students, especially when she obviously needed support, but from what he knows he's not wrong in believing Nathan over Kate here.

P.S. This is a great LP, I got an account just so I could discuss this.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Dire Lemming posted:

I'm kinda disappointed you can't point the finger at everyone but I can see why they didn't let you, it's what everyone would choose if they could.

He's certainly shouldn't have said what he did to Kate and the "The lady doth protest too much" line is such an rear end in a top hat thing to say. He's basically saying "She was annoying me, she must be in the wrong here." He completely fails Kate when she needed him the most.

However I don't think his handling of the situation as a whole makes him the monster people are saying he is. Remember that to him both Kate and Nathan are just his students and while he has a duty to protect Kate from Nathan if her accusations are true, he also has a duty to protect Nathan from Kate if they're false. Who should he believe? The words of two students or the words of seemingly everyone else at that party and the head of security?

He shouldn't have said what he did to one of his students, especially when she obviously needed support, but from what he knows he's not wrong in believing Nathan over Kate here.

What accusation?
Kate is being bullied over that video and Jefferson knows it; that happens in his own loving class.
btw: No one is denying that Kate is being bullied, not other students nor David or Jefferson. The only argument against Kate is that she "deserves" it or "brought it on herself".
I don't think Kate has told anyone about being drugged yet, she didn't really get a chance, since Jefferson immediately blew her off.

Even if Kate had told about Jefferson about it, anyone with a half functioning brain could tell that Kate is more believable than Nathan.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Dr Sun Try posted:

What accusation?
Kate is being bullied over that video and Jefferson knows it; that happens in his own loving class.
btw: No one is denying that Kate is being bullied, not other students nor David or Jefferson. The only argument against Kate is that she "deserves" it or "brought it on herself".
I don't think Kate has told anyone about being drugged yet, she didn't really get a chance, since Jefferson immediately blew her off.

Even if Kate had told about Jefferson about it, anyone with a half functioning brain could tell that Kate is more believable than Nathan.

Huh, turns out I'm bad at comprehension.
I thought Kate had already told other people about being drugged
Ignore my point then, Jefferson just decided blaming Kate is easier than doing his job.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
This is Joyce's fault. She is the only adult in this town who isn't a loving lunatic and it is just irresponsible on her part if she doesn't act accordingly. The second she heard her husband skulking around the house mumbling about Kate she should have immediately tracked her down and made sure she was okay.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Joyce already had WORDS with David, As evidenced by his behaviour this morning. you know, before Jefferson tried to blame Kate for everything. We can't expect women to keep doing the emotional labour for everyone if we want to not get wiped out by a tornado on Friday.

If we snooped on Nathan, does that convo go much better when we accuse him? Since we'd have (one assumes) hard evidence of him drugging her.

Still, as deserving of some karma for being a lovely adult, and despite it being the only way David gets any punishment out of not doing his actual job and instead stalking students, getting Nathan suspended is more instantly gratifying.

Nathan Prescott - the worst at sounding like he's shaken up over anything.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Never stop blaming Nathan Prescott for absolutely everything ever. Never. If we keep throwing spitballs at the wall eventually something will stick.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Plus the more we pressure Nathan the more likely it is that he does something extremely stupid that can't get covered up, and we're basically immortal anyway!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I like that removing Max's rewind increases the tension, but it has the less obvious purpose of keeping people from loving around in the choices and messing with Kate just to see what might happen. Don't be that person! That's rude!

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

One interesting detail in the time stop sequence is that while the crowd is looking Kate, it's David who's actually running towards the door (make that of what you will).

Also, while the conversation between Max and Kate on the rooftop is genuinely intense, I do wish the facial animations were better since sometimes they really don't look like they're saying the words they are saying.

I did a fanart comic, in which Max is channeling Panzer

Also, go to hell, Jefferson

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

SkinCrawling posted:

One interesting detail in the time stop sequence is that while the crowd is looking Kate, it's David who's actually running towards the door (make that of what you will).

I noticed that too. I'm starting to like David more as the story progresses.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
David is basically an rear end in a top hat with good intentions, which feels like the opposite of Jefferson. Also gently caress Jefferson.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Dire Lemming posted:

Aaa yay I'm glad you're enjoying the lp! :3: I do want to reply to this though and say that, even if Kate had told everyone of her accusation, Jefferson would very much be in the wrong to believe Nathan over her. A large theme in Life is Strange is the importance of believing the victim. The burden of truth does not lie on Kate, it lies on the authorities to find out what genuinely happened.
Honestly how much of Kate's bullying from the other students has been based on just not believing what she's said? It's very literally the exact thing we see happen in the shower at the beginning of the episode, where Kate insists it wasn't her, she didn't mean or want to do it, and Victoria's response is "Yeah, right." If people had believed her or listened to her, she very likely wouldn't have ended up on the roof at all.

SkinCrawling posted:

I did a fanart comic, in which Max is channeling Panzer

OKAY I SAW THIS ALMOST IMMEDIATELY WHEN I WOKE UP AND I STARTED YELLING LMAO YOU OWN, THIS OWNS !!!

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Panzer Skank posted:

OKAY I SAW THIS ALMOST IMMEDIATELY WHEN I WOKE UP AND I STARTED YELLING LMAO YOU OWN, THIS OWNS !!!

IM GLAD YOU LIKE IT I SAW YOUR TWEET AND IM GLAD OTHER PEOPLE LIKE IT TOO ITS NICE

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I'm definitely warming up to David. Perhaps he's putting up cameras because sometimes people around campus are conveniently in unexpected places, like they could move REALLY fast or, I don't know, slow down or almost pause time while moving at regular speed?

Perhaps something similar happened before around half a year ago and there was some incident involving his step-daughter and her friend? Something happened causing the friend to disappear and the step-daughter to get expelled? He got suspicious and put cameras up at home and school because of it? If the friend disappeared it's not weird to be (over-)protective of his step-daughter and question weird goings ons as school? Just because he's paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get him and all.

It seems obvious that Rachel is somehow related to the tornado. Perhaps causing it? Perhaps warning Chloe about it via Max? I'm guessing she should rewind time as well and that's what caused her to disappear.

Maybe Nathan is telling the truth about not drugging Kate and she's somehow involved? Maybe the tornado is her revenge for being bullied (though that seems weird if she can die) – sweep the city clean of the bullies at school and the Prescotts bullying the entire town?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The game got an update today. Of note is the ability to have different subtitle sizes, including, in their words, hella large.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

klafbang posted:

It seems obvious that Rachel is somehow related to the tornado. Perhaps causing it? Perhaps warning Chloe about it via Max? I'm guessing she should rewind time as well and that's what caused her to disappear.

Oh man I hadn't considered Rachel being stuck in time but it's my new favourite theory :allears:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
And the patch has directors commentary for digital versions! :dance:

EDIT: Which...apparently is free-DLC off of steam at the moment? A weird way to do it but whatever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

And the patch has directors commentary for digital versions! :dance:

EDIT: Which...apparently is free-DLC off of steam at the moment? A weird way to do it but whatever.

poo poo, now I have a reason to actually download it and play again!

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Panzer Skank posted:

Aaa yay I'm glad you're enjoying the lp! :3: I do want to reply to this though and say that, even if Kate had told everyone of her accusation, Jefferson would very much be in the wrong to believe Nathan over her. A large theme in Life is Strange is the importance of believing the victim. The burden of truth does not lie on Kate, it lies on the authorities to find out what genuinely happened.
Honestly how much of Kate's bullying from the other students has been based on just not believing what she's said? It's very literally the exact thing we see happen in the shower at the beginning of the episode, where Kate insists it wasn't her, she didn't mean or want to do it, and Victoria's response is "Yeah, right." If people had believed her or listened to her, she very likely wouldn't have ended up on the roof at all.

Yeah, what Jefferson did was terrible. He's verbally abusing a student which is awful regardless of the situation and he did it when she was asking for help. Even if he doesn't believe her that's not why he said it, he said it because he thought she was being annoying.

Unfortunately my only personal experience with something like this is a cousin who had his career as a teacher ruined by a false accusation of sexual harassment. It can be hard for me to get behind "always believe the victim" even though I know it's right.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

For people who wanted to see it in action, I got a clip of Kate and Jefferson's full conversation. It's super hard to hear so I subtitled it! You can see at the end when i try to get even one step closer it ends the conversation, so it's the best I could do.

edit: quick edit to mention, I tried really hard to get it more clearly, but the conversation would end the instant I got any closer, including with rewinding. Apparently on the console version you can kind of shimmy up the back wall to hear it better? anyway after a bunch of tries I figured you can still hear this and with subs it's fairly clear.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 20, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thanks for that effort Panzer. You are doing a good job and I love this LP.

But I have to admit that I am a litle disapointed by Jeffersons voice delivery there.
:effort:"Knock out this martyr crap."
:geno: "Stop acting so brittle."
The voice director probably knew that most people would not see that and didn't bother to do multiple takes of that.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Air is lava! posted:

Thanks for that effort Panzer. You are doing a good job and I love this LP.

But I have to admit that I am a litle disapointed by Jeffersons voice delivery there.
:effort:"Knock out this martyr crap."
:geno: "Stop acting so brittle."
The voice director probably knew that most people would not see that and didn't bother to do multiple takes of that.

Man, it could be poor voice acting but to me it just sounds like heartless disinterest. :( Kate's deliveries are so shattered and Jefferson just sounds kind of bored and vaguely annoyed. Come on man you're her mentor step it up jesus christ!!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I rewound to listen to that conversation in full in my game and I found that basically the best angle on it was to stand just outside of the chemistry classroom's door. Trying to rewind and hear it all also meant that I had to blow Warren up like four times, so that's a plus!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I rewound to listen to that conversation in full in my game and I found that basically the best angle on it was to stand just outside of the chemistry classroom's door. Trying to rewind and hear it all also meant that I had to blow Warren up like four times, so that's a plus!

'Had to"'. Of course, time travel means you can blow him up as much as you want to.

Lots of Potassium. Like. A shitload.

If only we could blow up Mr Jefferson, "have you talked to her?" loving. YES. NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT, I HAVE. A FUCKIN LOT. Also spied on her while she was in the room with me.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

anilEhilated posted:

Really? Privacy invasion and kleptomania are like Adventure Gaming 101.
You'd think so, but when the episode came out, a lot of people failed saving Kate. Maybe people are just bad at videogames and chose the wrong options.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello good morning! It's Monday and time for a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:It's time to close out Episode 2 and take in a lovely astronomical sight.:siren:

Here are the final stats:

The closing song for episode 2 is: Local Natives - Mt. Washington [lyrics]

(As a note, it sucks I have to say this, don't read the comments on any of the songs from the soundtrack I've linked. Ppl go around and comment end game spoilers to be dicks :mad: Actually poo poo I'm going to go polsy all the links to soundtrack songs I've done so far because gently caress the people who do that)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

ur fired forever!!!!

Also now that the video has been up for a lil bit and I'm not all emotional over it right now, let me type out what I was trying to say in the video! I LOVE this sequence. It shows us really intimate views of everyone's lives and how they are dealing. In particular I love Joyce comforting a visibly distraught David, which is a very private moment between them. The camera work even suggests like we're peering out at them without them knowing. Also the shot of Nathan entering Victoria's room is very weird and interesting?? Is Victoria crying because of Kate, or another reason? Is she crying because of Nathan? It's hard to tell because we don't see her reaction to him entering, though we do see Nathan's facial expression which is incredibly enigmatic.
The shot of Kate is the one that makes me cry every time without fail. It is just such a powerful visual and her face just breaks my fuckin heart. Ugh what a good ending sequence UGH.

edit: VVV fired now and pre-fired in the future

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 25, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Guess I shouldn't bother sending in my resume to No Goblin then.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

WHAT HAVE WE DONE

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

KasaiAisu posted:

WHAT HAVE WE DONE

Properly cared for a plant is what

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

KasaiAisu posted:

WHAT HAVE WE DONE

We neglected to make a worthy sacrifice for the time gods! :colbert:

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

KasaiAisu posted:

WHAT HAVE WE DONE

u gotta listen to mommy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

STOP SMOTHERING ME MOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I completely forgot about our plant!!!! IMO the dumbest decision in the game!! Like, "Oh, you thought watering your plant once a day was a good idea??? Well guess what, now you're a plant murderer!" How do 78% of Maxes possibly live with the guilt?

• Locked thread