Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Megadyptes posted:

50% of people using their mouse to fly :nutshot:

I fly with mouse when bored@work. It works just fine for not dogfighting (and even that works just fine after a couple days of practice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My flights usually end in wrecks because I get bored and gently caress around after shooting a few approaches.

Touch and go to an aileron roll at 200agl before I get back in the soup? don't mind if I do.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

e.pilot posted:

My flights usually end in wrecks because I get bored and gently caress around after shooting a few approaches.

Touch and go to an aileron roll at 200agl before I get back in the soup? don't mind if I do.

I like to fly the RC planes through the city with my mouse. I dodge cars and houses and stuff while I am bored and don't want to be bothered trying anything serious. I will also do the same thing where I start a glider in the air and try to make it to the airfield before it hits the ground.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Goetta posted:

That is a lot of dudes using Macs

To be fair, wasn't X-Plane the equivalent of MS Flight Sim for Macs anyway?

I should probably change from FSX at some point. I have a couple of PMDG aircraft though (The MD-11 and the turbo prop thingy), can I get them to work on P3D?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I think you're the second person to ask recently and now I'm confused: when did simulator compatibility become a thing?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Daimo posted:

I think you're the second person to ask recently and now I'm confused: when did simulator compatibility become a thing?

P3D is the evolution of the FSX codebase that has been evolved by Locheed Martin because Microsoft doesn't want it anymore.

So P3D is FSX, except where it's not. PMDG has been kind of assholes about cross-compatibility, even though most plane makers only had to move where they put a few files.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

No I know about the evolution of simulator platforms, that wasn't the question Lordpants was asking.

I am stupid in the mornings.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 19, 2016

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
If I buy a PC-12 can I use it on FSE? Also does FSE work with Prepar3D?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mitt Romney posted:

If I buy a PC-12 can I use it on FSE? Also does FSE work with Prepar3D?

Yes (Although you will need to rent it hourly or cough up 780k in FSE bux or so to purchase one) and Yes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So our private group forum on the FSE page is being moderated and I had a thread deleted for swearing and then told I had to edit because it contained a plan I'd thought up that violated their ToS after I reposted without the swearing so I'm thinking a PGS thread would be a better idea.

Both because I don't trust the FSE staff to be at all fair unless they're being fair to their grognard kin and also because half the people posting in this thread don't give a poo poo about FSE.

Soapy what do you think about that? Technically you run barter town.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004
Can someone invite brianc (me) to the group please!

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

So our private group forum on the FSE page is being moderated and I had a thread deleted for swearing and then told I had to edit because it contained a plan I'd thought up that violated their ToS after I reposted without the swearing so I'm thinking a PGS thread would be a better idea.

Both because I don't trust the FSE staff to be at all fair unless they're being fair to their grognard kin and also because half the people posting in this thread don't give a poo poo about FSE.

Soapy what do you think about that? Technically you run barter town.

Possibly, if we're all still loving around with this in a month then yeah of course. I just don't want us to make a thread and then have people lose interest.

Sewer Adventure posted:

Can someone invite brianc (me) to the group please!

Sent you an invite.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

SoapyTarantula posted:

Possibly, if we're all still loving around with this in a month then yeah of course. I just don't want us to make a thread and then have people lose interest.

Sent you an invite.

A PGS thread isnt much effort. Off site forums on the other hand is a ton to put in at this point.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
What are the must haves as far as payware planes for fsx go? I'm looking for a small single or... maybe twin engine prop plane, and a passenger/cargo hauler. I'm hoping both would be fse frendly.

I know so little, I don't wanna buy anything that looks cool, but ends up being a buggy, or just lovely to fly.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

tehsid posted:

What are the must haves as far as payware planes for fsx go? I'm looking for a small single or... maybe twin engine prop plane, and a passenger/cargo hauler. I'm hoping both would be fse frendly.

I know so little, I don't wanna buy anything that looks cool, but ends up being a buggy, or just lovely to fly.

the Carenado stuff is not exactly cheap but it's f'n beautiful and I've never had a problem with it flight-wise. I only have the C340 but is a delicious airplane and one of my favorites.
http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php?accion=product&correl=55

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

tehsid posted:

RealAir makes a few airplanes that are excellent.

Single Engine:

Marchetti SF260
Lancair Legacy

Twin Engine:
BE-60 Duke and Turbine Duke

PMDG makes a twin T-prop, the JetStream JS4100 and it's very high quality.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

RealAir makes a few airplanes that are excellent.

Single Engine:

Marchetti SF260
Lancair Legacy

Twin Engine:
BE-60 Duke and Turbine Duke

That Lancair is a work of art, I wish there were such a great single engine GA plane for x-plane.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Ferret King posted:

Jetstream is great! Just feather them props.

Also it's got a baby's first FMC so if you like pressing buttons it's a good start.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

LordPants posted:

Jetstream is great! Just feather unfeather them props.

Or else you'll never start 'em.

Then remember to bump them off the locks before takeoff. That's when the real fireworks start if you forget!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

It is, but it's really twitchy if you don't know how to drive it. I started it up and tried to use the propellers in reverse instead of pushback and WELP NOW WE'RE ON FIRE. It also doesn't seem to descend for poo poo, so if you're a terrible pilot like me go ahead and start your descent from about two hundred fifty miles out.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 21, 2016

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

hogmartin posted:

It is, but it's really twitchy if you don't know how to drive it. I started it up and tried to use the propellers in reverse instead of pushback and WELP NOW WE'RE ON FIRE. It also doesn't seem to descend for poo poo, so if you're a terrible pilot like me go ahead and start your descent from about two hundred fifty miles out.

So for me, it'd be about 500 miles out.

Thank you all for the suggestions, and keep them coming! I'm thinking Turbine Duke and the Lancair Legacy might be my first two. God I can see this getting expensive (more expensive)...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

That Lancair is a work of art, I wish there were such a great single engine GA plane for x-plane.

I like the Cessna Corvallis. Fast, fixed gear, single engine fun.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hogmartin posted:

The FMC will tell you when to descend and how fast you gotta go to make it happen.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Gotta remember to use your throttle to descend instead of pushing the nose over.

That's a good technique for most aircraft, really. Pitch is for airspeed. Power is for altitude. Let the arguments begin.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The Ferret King posted:

Gotta remember to use your throttle to descend instead of pushing the nose over.

That's a good technique for most aircraft, really. Pitch is for airspeed. Power is for altitude. Let the arguments begin.

I usually just descend until the overspeed alarm goes off and drop a couple of notches of flaps to slow down. I figure if I can get to the runway two minutes faster, that's two minutes I've saved so I can do other things like talk about flight sims online.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nah its cool I'll just do this 2hr flight for practice :( didn't need to actually load the cargo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Ferret King posted:

It was a real "holy poo poo moment" when I worked that out. Or rather, the PMDG manual explained it to me.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

tater_salad posted:

Nah its cool I'll just do this 2hr flight for practice :( didn't need to actually load the cargo.

And that's the real reason I am not playing X-Plane right now.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

I was teaching a few people how to play FSX and the way I put it is you use the throttle to add remove speed/altitude and you use the stick to trade one for the other.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

And that's the real reason I am not playing X-Plane right now.

Why none of the stupid loving FSE clients have an alarm that goes off when you hit takeoff power without the flight started is beyond me. Those guys have been running this show for 10 years you'd think they'd have thought of it by now.

It was one of the first things I was going to try to code or have someone who isn't complete poo poo at coding here come up with but at this point I doubt I'll be 'contributing' much outside our little band of misfits.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I was teaching a few people how to play FSX and the way I put it is you use the throttle to add remove speed/altitude and you use the stick to trade one for the other.

Why none of the stupid loving FSE clients have an alarm that goes off when you hit takeoff power without the flight started is beyond me. Those guys have been running this show for 10 years you'd think they'd have thought of it by now.

It was one of the first things I was going to try to code or have someone who isn't complete poo poo at coding here come up with but at this point I doubt I'll be 'contributing' much outside our little band of misfits.

I would love you forever if you make this.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'll see what I can do but I am completely garbage at coding and it would probably take someone that isn't complete garbage 1/10th the time.

EDIT: I'd also need the client source. IDK where to get that.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 21, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

No arguments from me, this is proper technique.

e:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Pk6Sg9jhWTVnVhV3ZoNGpTRm8

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 21, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

Unless, of course, you are in an Airbus; in that case, just point the nose at where you want to go and the aircraft figures that poo poo out for you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Until a pitot ices and you kill hundreds of people.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Or an MD-11 AKA "oh poo poo I landed I should plug my joystick back in"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Until a pitot ices and you kill hundreds of people.

Hey now, that time I left the pitot cap attached on my Cherokee I greased that landing. :colbert:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

The XP 10 FSE script does this if you leave the ground without starting the job

code:
function eventTakeOffWithoutFseFlightStarted()
	XPLMSpeakString("FSE flight not started!")
	--command_once("sim/operation/pause_toggle")
end

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Really? Definitely took off without passengers many times and never got that alert.

What I do instead is I leave the FSE window open and covering my attitude indicator and HSI so that way there's no way you can forget it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It only does it in the Lua script plugin, not in the way clunkier standalone client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Goetta posted:

It only does it in the Lua script plugin, not in the way clunkier standalone client

Wait there's a LUA plugin? I'm still using the Python one.