Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That was a fun little episode. Thanks everyone who worked on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

univbee posted:

Incidentally whoever created Game Center CX on TheTVDB, please update it so this episode is there, I need my Plex server to have all the episodes. :argh:
I used to do it, but gave up when someone else started renumbering entire seasons of episodes, multiple times. I posted in their support forums, but apparently there's no rollback functionality. It just got to be too much work, and I couldn't keep up with it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Lol at Arino's taste in Mario levels. Good show.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

Thanks for the translation! I haven't seen even the RAW of the live special, though, is it being worked on as well? (I mean the Mario Maker one, I know zari-gani said the Vietnam one (?) was in the works.)

Cat Machine posted:

I'd quite like to see the Mario Maker livestream translated, if only to understand what Arino was saying during my section :shobon:

I have a smaller project to finish first, than I plan to start on it.
Remembering I have a 9-5 job and only translate when I can find the time after work or on weekends...

I'm willing to translate what Arino said during your level ahead of that if you want, Cat Machine. How about sending that whiskey, did you decide?

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

univbee posted:

Oh I might as well bin this other Game Center CX Super Mario Maker video you subtitled, then.

Gah, fine, here.

Game Center CX - Super Mario Maker Player Chapter

Translated by Kakaricho
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofread by Hirayuki

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=774832

Thanks for another great translation! I find Arino's ability to see the good in the stupidest of levels rather charming.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

I have a smaller project to finish first, than I plan to start on it.
Remembering I have a 9-5 job and only translate when I can find the time after work or on weekends...

I'm willing to translate what Arino said during your level ahead of that if you want, Cat Machine. How about sending that whiskey, did you decide?

Yeah, no worries, take your time. I appreciate every translation. Last Mario maker live special was really funny, hope this will be too.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

New Game Center DC episode, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash on the Wii U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTDbIHWSr4

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

Is this it? Says it has the bonus DVD with Arino.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E...y/dp/B004U4QVJG

Can confirm: This version does have the bonus dvd!

It IS region ALL!

It DOES have an english sub track!

If you haven't bought it, you should get on it.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
I just got done watching the Chase HQ episode which had a great ending, but I have two questions.
1) I feel like I've seen the "new" AD on many previous episodes, am I remembering correctly? If so, I'm guessing they haven't found the next AD yet?
2) What was the story behind the new AD throughout the episode? First at the arcade, and then the ending?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I recently purchased Mario Maker, and it's really surreal just how much Arino's personality and sense of humor is reflected in his stages. I can totally picture the making of, complete with forced laughter from the cast when Arino explains some of his level gags.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

cubeboy posted:

I just got done watching the Chase HQ episode which had a great ending, but I have two questions.
1) I feel like I've seen the "new" AD on many previous episodes, am I remembering correctly? If so, I'm guessing they haven't found the next AD yet?
2) What was the story behind the new AD throughout the episode? First at the arcade, and then the ending?

1 - Oosuka started filling in for Yanai last season (while he was assigned to a different show Gascoin was filiming), worked with him a few times, and has become the new AD since Yanai left the business

2 - Arino was playing a popular fortune telling machine at the start of the segment which was designed with the help of a professional fortune teller (I guess that's a thing...) and supposedly has a 93% accuracy rate. He chose the "Chance that you'll start dating someone in the next three months" category, and used Oosuka's name. When he asked him, it turns out that Oosuka has been seeing someone (showing Arino her picture) and he said that he really likes her and hopes they become a couple.

The machine said that he should take her out to places that are exciting (Oosuka: We normally go places like museums and art galleries... Arino: You're such a huge thief!), but said the chances of them getting together weren't very high.

After that, when Arino played the three 10 yen games, he kept saying "If I don't get it in this shot, then Oosuka won't get together with her!" He won the first time he said it, missed the second, and won the third time, prompting the narrator to say he should go for it while his luck is good. Towards the end of the challenge, Kan's narration speculated that Oosuka was trying so hard at the game because he wanted to show the episode off to her.

Long explanation, but that's what was happening. Fans were saying on Twitter that it was an Oosuka episode.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The satellite guide was right again, next challenge is Olivia's Mystery on the SNES.

edit - The staff will be helping him.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 21, 2016

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Can someone explain the concept of the Game Center DX series. I am glad to see the show doing more things with Hamaguchi.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

joek0 posted:

Can someone explain the concept of the Game Center DX series. I am glad to see the show doing more things with Hamaguchi.

CX - There's a stuffy old man in work clothes, slaving away on retro games.
DX - There's a fashionable young fellow playing the latest Nintendo games, because he's a baller.

The DX series and how they've done the Mario Maker episodes have made me realize Nintendo has remembered The Wizard-level marketing. Enjoyable, but it's largely a commercial (especially the DX episodes.)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I just watched the Mario Maker episode and I'm sure someone somewhere must have pointed this out BUT not here so I'll do it just in case it hasn't happened: when Arino unlocks the Pikmin costume at the end the subtitle says "Pikman"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

I just watched the Mario Maker episode and I'm sure someone somewhere must have pointed this out BUT not here so I'll do it just in case it hasn't happened: when Arino unlocks the Pikmin costume at the end the subtitle says "Pikman"
Oops.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

We'll never live this down. We should cease all subtitling at once. :negative:

In the interest of Poe's Law, my internet lawyer has recommended I release a statement clarifying that I am kidding and just having fun.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Erratum: Subtitle should have read "Pikaman"

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

univbee posted:

We'll never live this down. We should cease all subtitling at once. :negative:

In the interest of Poe's Law, my internet lawyer has recommended I release a statement clarifying that I am kidding and just having fun.

I'm sorry it has to be this way but, well, it's the right thing to do given the circumstances

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Honestly I thought this wasn't a mistake. I saw it and figured that was the actual name of the costume :v:

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

1 - Oosuka started filling in for Yanai last season (while he was assigned to a different show Gascoin was filiming), worked with him a few times, and has become the new AD since Yanai left the business

2 - Arino was playing a popular fortune telling machine at the start of the segment which was designed with the help of a professional fortune teller (I guess that's a thing...) and supposedly has a 93% accuracy rate. He chose the "Chance that you'll start dating someone in the next three months" category, and used Oosuka's name. When he asked him, it turns out that Oosuka has been seeing someone (showing Arino her picture) and he said that he really likes her and hopes they become a couple.

The machine said that he should take her out to places that are exciting (Oosuka: We normally go places like museums and art galleries... Arino: You're such a huge thief!), but said the chances of them getting together weren't very high.

After that, when Arino played the three 10 yen games, he kept saying "If I don't get it in this shot, then Oosuka won't get together with her!" He won the first time he said it, missed the second, and won the third time, prompting the narrator to say he should go for it while his luck is good. Towards the end of the challenge, Kan's narration speculated that Oosuka was trying so hard at the game because he wanted to show the episode off to her.

Long explanation, but that's what was happening. Fans were saying on Twitter that it was an Oosuka episode.

Thanks for the recap. I love when the show is able to do themes throughout an episode like that. I was a little surprised that Chase HQ would be so entertaining.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

cubeboy posted:

Thanks for the recap. I love when the show is able to do themes throughout an episode like that. I was a little surprised that Chase HQ would be so entertaining.

It was also mentioned in the Bonus Stage segment, I forgot until I re watched it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I tried to watch the Quiz Nanairo episode with a ladyfriend, and, well, don't do that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lurdiak posted:

I tried to watch the Quiz Nanairo episode with a ladyfriend, and, well, don't do that.

Although the internet might sometimes act otherwise, women haven't quite yet merged into a colletive hivemind, so I think that depends entirely on the ladyfriend in question. I've certainly watched much stranger things than that episode with one.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Watching the Lemmings special highlights video. Abe pounding back beers from Nakayama's fridge while making him pan-fried ramen :lol:

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Watching the Lemmings special highlights video. Abe pounding back beers from Nakayama's fridge while making him pan-fried ramen :lol:

I wish they had played up the "Abe bullying Nakayama" stories more. It always cracked me up.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

I wish they had played up the "Abe bullying Nakayama" stories more. It always cracked me up.

I don't know if it's actually bullying.. well, Abe made him pay for the expensive (?) ingredients but then again, he came over and made him a lot better food than he probably normally eats, so

I guess it's down to who you relate more, Abe or Nakayama (my answer is of course Nakayama).

*ponkoron*

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

I don't know if it's actually bullying.. well, Abe made him pay for the expensive (?) ingredients but then again, he came over and made him a lot better food than he probably normally eats, so

I guess it's down to who you relate more, Abe or Nakayama (my answer is of course Nakayama).

*ponkoron*

It was all obviously for fun, but it was such a stereo-typical abusive kohai-senpai joke it was great.
(why would Nakayama even have beer in his fridge, it doesn't even add up!)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

(why would Nakayama even have beer in his fridge, it doesn't even add up!)

Who wouldn't have beer in their fridge? Even if you don't drink, you should keep some just in case Abe stops by.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I'm working on the Mansion of Hidden Souls episode and...

Ad is not representative of the product.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

zari-gani posted:

God I miss the 90s.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013

zari-gani posted:

It not only looks good, but SOUNDS good too?? That satisfies all my criteria for a fun time. I'm soul'd

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jakespeare posted:

I'm soul'd

You're hired.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

What happened when you called that number on those days? Would a guy answer and scream about the game like he had PTSD about it?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

What happened when you called that number on those days? Would a guy answer and scream about the game like he had PTSD about it?

I couldn't find any info on it, but I'd really like to know.

Fernin
Sep 26, 2014
Best I can find about it is that it's a number in either Lomita or Torrance, California, most likely an office somewhere that used to belong to the company. Those old numbers vary these days, some are flat out disconnected, some get taken over by whoever moves into the office (which I imagine would lead to a scenario like Hit or Miss described), and some get repurposed as sex talk hotlines (though, mostly the old 800 numbers). Quickest way to find out for sure is for someone to dial the number, though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

zari-gani posted:

I have this game on the Sega Saturn. I have no idea why Sega decided to port that particular Sega CD game over any other possible candidates but they did.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Fernin posted:

Quickest way to find out for sure is for someone to dial the number, though.

The question was what happened when you called the number when you were supposed to. Presumably it was some sort of pre-recorded ad for the game, but... well. A weird approach, to be sure.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I love how it was only available that Saturday and Sunday, like they couldnt afford a dedicated line for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fernin
Sep 26, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

The question was what happened when you called the number when you were supposed to. Presumably it was some sort of pre-recorded ad for the game, but... well. A weird approach, to be sure.
...D'oh. >.>

I completely misinterpreted what Hit or Miss said.