Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

davidHalestorm posted:

What about Netero? The Hunter X Hunter wiki stated that he is an Enhancer but to operate the 100-Hand Guanyin, it seemed you needed mastery in every category but since Netero is apparently over 100 years old, I suppose he had the talent and the time maximised his potential. I mean, I struggled how anyone else, besides obviously the Chimera Ant King, could survive a fight with Netero if he is serious. I mean, the Zero Hand move is basically a DragonBall beam attack.

Zero Hand also killed him to use basically, so, it being extremely powerful is understandable. Really, even getting him to use the Zero Hand seems unlikely; he was so fast, strong, and untouchable with his regular attacks that anyone who isn't nigh-indestructible like Meruem would probably get annihilated well before he had to use it. Like, say, that room full of ant corpses in Knov's mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Kild posted:

His power seemed to only be emission.

It was probably a bunch of different nen types but the whole statue action was triggered by the faster-than-sound praying of his body.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent, 100-Type Guanyin Bodhisattva actually has some pretty sizable restrictions. It has a very specific set of actions (each "Hand") rather than freely-manipulable range of motion like many abilities, and each one is activated by a specific set of motions that must be done before the Bodhisattva acts, beginning with the clasping his hands in prayer and followed by a Hand-specific motion. I assume you can't half-rear end it, either; you have to actually go through the motions of prayer instead of swiftly rushing them and waving your arms around, and there probably has to be genuine emotion behind it as well, though that's an assumption on my part. One based on the themes and aesthetics of the ability and also that Netero backstory bit with him praying in the mountains in a rather familiar manner, but still an assumption. For someone without Netero's speed, it'd be considerably less powerful, but his physical and mental ability allowed for it to be almost unstoppable.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wild Horses posted:

It was probably a bunch of different nen types but the whole statue action was triggered by the faster-than-sound praying of his body.

I love this because of how dumb it sounds but it works

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah the Buddha is a cleverly written ability because it follows the rules and idea of Nen so closely. Netero mastered supersonic movement so he restricted his giant summon by tying it into really precise and fast hand movements.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

davidHalestorm posted:

What about Netero? The Hunter X Hunter wiki stated that he is an Enhancer but to operate the 100-Hand Guanyin, it seemed you needed mastery in every category but since Netero is apparently over 100 years old, I suppose he had the talent and the time maximised his potential. I mean, I struggled how anyone else, besides obviously the Chimera Ant King, could survive a fight with Netero if he is serious. I mean, the Zero Hand move is basically a DragonBall beam attack.

My favorite thing from the wiki:

HunterXHunter Wiki, Hunter License Article posted:

5. The ability to use the license as collateral for a zero-interest loan of 100 million jenny (approximately 90 million yen) at any bank.

I wonder how/why they arrived at that particular ratio rather than just jenny=yen.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Probably some obscure databook

Roland Jones posted:

On a tangent, 100-Type Guanyin Bodhisattva actually has some pretty sizable restrictions. It has a very specific set of actions (each "Hand") rather than freely-manipulable range of motion like many abilities, and each one is activated by a specific set of motions that must be done before the Bodhisattva acts, beginning with the clasping his hands in prayer and followed by a Hand-specific motion. I assume you can't half-rear end it, either; you have to actually go through the motions of prayer instead of swiftly rushing them and waving your arms around, and there probably has to be genuine emotion behind it as well, though that's an assumption on my part. One based on the themes and aesthetics of the ability and also that Netero backstory bit with him praying in the mountains in a rather familiar manner, but still an assumption. For someone without Netero's speed, it'd be considerably less powerful, but his physical and mental ability allowed for it to be almost unstoppable.

And then he revealed that the gestures are unnecessary, as long as, like you said, the emotion and intent behind it is genuine. Which is basically, another trump card before the Zero Hand.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kytrarewn posted:

My favorite thing from the wiki:

I wonder how/why they arrived at that particular ratio rather than just jenny=yen.

hunter is real

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mapping your fake money 1:1 with real life money is too convenient for world building so it feels really contrived. Having a simple ratio (10% weaker than the Yen) makes it easier to grasp than if it was like "100 yen is 83.92 jenny at the current date of publication" so you don't completely lose the idea of the value of things that Togashi is trying to convey.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I think all you really need to create a sense of value for fake money is a single scene where somebody buys a hamburger or something. I tend to think of a good burger being around $6, so whatever the character pays maps more or less to what I imagine the baseline cost of living in that universe is.

Really though, once you hit anywhere up in the millions the exchange rate really doesn't matter since it's clearly a lot of money no matter how you slice it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Eej posted:

I love this because of how dumb it sounds but it works

It's the best thing I've ever heard about Hunter x Hunter and I'm glad you brought attention to it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bad Seafood posted:

Really though, once you hit anywhere up in the millions the exchange rate really doesn't matter since it's clearly a lot of money no matter how you slice it.

Nah, if you had 100 million Iranian Rials that'd only be worth around $3,500(Sanction easing may have changed this since last I remember). More fake worlds need to include ridiculously worthless currencies like the real world. Especially in a post war setting. I think the German Mark was worth an astonishing 4 trillions marks to 1 dollar before they switched to a new currency that was actually stable in value following the Great Depression. Crazy inflation on the German Mark to the point where you'd leave your house to pay your school tuition and by the time you got there your tuition money might be enough to buy lunch, if you're lucky. There were stories of people just using Marks to start fires because it was so worthless.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I feel like in that case though it'd be self-evident the country/world of the story was suffering some sort of economic hardship with massive inflation and such.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm pretty sure Iran isn't noticeably a horrific economic shithole as far as fictional settings go. Outside the whole social repression thing they've got going it's probably better than at least 85% of all imagined futures societies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems pretty clear to me that Netero's ability was related more to the praying than the movements. The movements could have been him picking his nose, it doesn't really matter; it's that he is so committed and put so much effort and feeling into his thanks towards martial arts as a whole. The movements may be connected to the mechanics of the way his ability works, but its strength is related to that time he spent praying.

Either way, I'm curious as to how they could deal with anything in the Dark Continent stronger than the Ant King. Literally the only characters in the series capable of handling the King were Netero and forced-grown-up Gon. Anyone else would have been slaughtered by him. Then again, I guess if you have a decent sized group full of varied nen users that you could put together plans to deal with a large variety of opponents. But I got the impression that the King was just so absurdly powerful that he could still rip off your head because you could even do anything.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The only thing I can think of is some forced-Zetsu thing like Knuckle's and Kurapika's.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I get the feeling the majority of threats lurking in the Dark Continent are more "Animalistic" in nature - strong, perhaps, but impersonal, unthinking - whereas what made the Chimera Ants uniquely terrifying was their capacity to reason, to use their strength "Intelligently." There are probably a great many things in the Dark Continent far more powerful than the King and his entourage, but many of them are likely things which only attack out of a need to survive rather than malice or design. They can be eluded, avoided, or satisfied. The strongest martial artist in the world is still weaker than a blue whale in terms of raw power, but blue whales live in the ocean and won't deliberately seek out people to destroy them.

All this to say, while there are many things more powerful than the Chimera Ants, I wouldn't necessarily say that makes them more dangerous - excepting of course things like the great calamities which are apparently terrors on a wholly different level.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
And also, what ultimately killed the Ant King was a nuke, not Nen or martial arts but a weapon made from human science. So, no matter how strong the Chimera Ants mastery of Nen is, they would still get annihilated if they tried to attack say, one of the V5, instead of a backwater dictatorship or a hippie commnune. I think Togashi made some sort of point there.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Also keep in mind, according to Morel, he and the others were by no means the best people for that job. Netero and Pariston's little game wound up making Pariston actively hinder the Hunter Association's ability to deal with the Ants, which says to me there are a number of other Hunters near or possibly above Netero's level when it comes to fighting or dealing with threats, or at least people whose abilities were more suited to such a task.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Bad Seafood posted:

I think all you really need to create a sense of value for fake money is a single scene where somebody buys a hamburger or something. I tend to think of a good burger being around $6, so whatever the character pays maps more or less to what I imagine the baseline cost of living in that universe is.

Yeah, I understand that, but even so I don't know that I would be willing to accept a single scene of them buying a burger for $6.60 rather than $6.00 as evidence for a slightly-different-than-1:1 exchange rate. After all, they might be at an expensive restaurant, or beef might be expensive at that time/location, or any number of other things that might be different at that time/place.

I just assumed that it was stupidity/:spergin: on behalf of the wiki's editors.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

TriffTshngo posted:

Also keep in mind, according to Morel, he and the others were by no means the best people for that job. Netero and Pariston's little game wound up making Pariston actively hinder the Hunter Association's ability to deal with the Ants, which says to me there are a number of other Hunters near or possibly above Netero's level when it comes to fighting or dealing with threats, or at least people whose abilities were more suited to such a task.

Thats just morel being a bit bashful. They definitely had a good plan and their powers worked well together. But on pure power i'd imagine the Zodiacs probably rank higher and that's what he was hinting at.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah, while big hair Gon and Netero are probably a large portion of the small number of people on the planet that could get into a toe to toe face smashing contest with the King, there's lots of other ways to fight which a whole lot of other people could have a chance at against the King. Just from the few Nen users we know we've got Ging if the King somehow made him give a poo poo, the Zoldycks if they were properly contracted, probably the Spiders if Chrollo set it up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wild Horses posted:

Thats just morel being a bit bashful. They definitely had a good plan and their powers worked well together. But on pure power i'd imagine the Zodiacs probably rank higher and that's what he was hinting at.

Nah, Morel is a Sea Hunter, and the only time that came in handy was during his fight against Leol. His versatile ability did come in handy, as did Knov's, but I feel that's more a case of them making the most out of their situation and adapting rather then being the best for the job.

He really was out of his element.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

davidHalestorm posted:

And also, what ultimately killed the Ant King was a nuke, not Nen or martial arts but a weapon made from human science. So, no matter how strong the Chimera Ants mastery of Nen is, they would still get annihilated if they tried to attack say, one of the V5, instead of a backwater dictatorship or a hippie commnune. I think Togashi made some sort of point there.

I don't know if having the ability to nuke themselves is really the best defense. This only really worked because the King hadn't left the country yet.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

I don't know if having the ability to nuke themselves is really the best defense. This only really worked because the King hadn't left the country yet.

To be fair, the reason the Chimera Ants survived that long is because they stayed in that region so long. The xenophobic and secluded nature of the NGL and East Goruto or whatever it's called really was the optimal environment for the Chimera Ants.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I meant, that the V5 got military power at their side, other than the nukes. We've only seen Nen being applied in the context of martial arts and relatively small scale fighting (yes, I count the Yorknew slaughter as 'small-scale'), the Dark Continent arc hints at Nen in the military context. That Golem, for example, has nen powers specifically tailored for squad-based fighting. He can conjured guns that emitters can used to fire nen bullets and he can also conjured a seat for an emitter to shoot a nen gattling gun from the mecha.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

davidHalestorm posted:

I meant, that the V5 got military power at their side, other than the nukes. We've only seen Nen being applied in the context of martial arts and relatively small scale fighting (yes, I count the Yorknew slaughter as 'small-scale'), the Dark Continent arc hints at Nen in the military context. That Golem, for example, has nen powers specifically tailored for squad-based fighting. He can conjured guns that emitters can used to fire nen bullets and he can also conjured a seat for an emitter to shoot a nen gattling gun from the mecha.

Also the Zoldycks are apparently frequently hired to assassinate armoured battalions so they nenned up some cluster munitions.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It really doesn't make much sense that Nen is a secret in this setting.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've been re-reading Yu Yu Hakusho, and near the end you can start to see creative uses of powers which would later (in HunterxHunter) become Nen.

For example there's a guy that has a "taboo word" power. He sets up an area of effect field, and within that space 1. violence is useless, and 2. whoever speaks a certain word (the power's user included) gets their soul taken out of their bodies. He gets defeated when Kurama (one of the good guys) goads him into accepting a bet ("I bet that if I could pick the word I could make you say it in less than one hour :smug:").

Then there's the kid whose power is literally "make video games come true in the real world." Or the sniper who can charge objects with his power and they will home towards his target, but he has to touch the target first.

It's amazing how Togashi can make up creative uses for powers, and yet in most other shonen manga everything boils down to "my power level is higher than yours".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bad Seafood posted:

I get the feeling the majority of threats lurking in the Dark Continent are more "Animalistic" in nature - strong, perhaps, but impersonal, unthinking - whereas what made the Chimera Ants uniquely terrifying was their capacity to reason, to use their strength "Intelligently." There are probably a great many things in the Dark Continent far more powerful than the King and his entourage, but many of them are likely things which only attack out of a need to survive rather than malice or design. They can be eluded, avoided, or satisfied. The strongest martial artist in the world is still weaker than a blue whale in terms of raw power, but blue whales live in the ocean and won't deliberately seek out people to destroy them.

All this to say, while there are many things more powerful than the Chimera Ants, I wouldn't necessarily say that makes them more dangerous - excepting of course things like the great calamities which are apparently terrors on a wholly different level.

Netero straight up said that the threats in the Dark Continent were not really about Strength. The stuff there was typically stuff that could not be fought. Which is why Netero said it was a challenge he was not really interested in.

Even if none of the things there are stronger then the King. Lots of the stuff just does not need to be it could kill you in ways that has nothing to do with strength.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Netero straight up said that the threats in the Dark Continent were not really about Strength. The stuff there was typically stuff that could not be fought. Which is why Netero said it was a challenge he was not really interested in.

Even if none of the things there are stronger then the King. Lots of the stuff just does not need to be it could kill you in ways that has nothing to do with strength.

We got a few examples already with the disaster that were brought back last time there was an expedition to the Dark Continent; two that we even know what they do (the zombie virus and the symbiotic gas creatures assuming they're what Nanika is).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I bet Beyond could have handled the Ant King. I have no idea what his power might be like, but I imagine he is pretty nuts.
Also, how loving baller is the name Beyond?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Official romanization: Beeyarerrbfmfnt

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
See, the ants were really dangerous but within what humanity could handle. They were a huge potential threat, mostly because of how fast they could reproduce and how fast those offspring would reach maturity and learn nen. While Meruem was ridiculously strong, he wasn't stronger than all the top tier nen users put together and he wasn't stronger than a poison nuke. When it comes down to it the ants were just a strong invading army with a few twists. However, there are things in the dark continent which are stronger than all the top tier nen users put together, and some that are stronger than poison nukes. The whole idea is that it is full of bizarre, alien existences which humans have no real way of dealing with at all. But it also potentially contains bizarre, alien existences which can provide completely unique benefits to humanity so people keep trying to go get that treasure despite risking human extinction.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Genocyber posted:

We got a few examples already with the disaster that were brought back last time there was an expedition to the Dark Continent; two that we even know what they do (the zombie virus and the symbiotic gas creatures assuming they're what Nanika is).

I only watched the anime and then read the 10 or so chapters following its end. What suggests that Nanika is one of the gas creatures?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

So do those little symbols in HIsokas speech bubbles represent anything, like do they indicate his mood or tone or what

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TWIST FIST posted:

So do those little symbols in HIsokas speech bubbles represent anything, like do they indicate his mood or tone or what

Where?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I assume he means Hisoka's card suit symbols.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I haven't read the manga but I'm guessing it's essentially just a play on cutesy girl characters whose speech bubbles always include a heart at the end of every sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TWIST FIST posted:

Other than the hearts probably meaning happiness or affection, they seem like they might just happen. I'd have to reread it and look at a bunch of the lines in order to try to see otherwise.

Kytrarewn posted:

I only watched the anime and then read the 10 or so chapters following its end. What suggests that Nanika is one of the gas creatures?

Some of the recovered corpses are wrung out the way Nanika did to people, so people think that Nanika's something from the Dark Continent. Which is definitely a possibility, though the Zoldyck's having some connection to it seems odd so there's the question of how Nanika got into Alluka.