Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Um

Uhh

Is Zaki's Critical HP sprite him flipping us off while his lizard stands, well, erect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The caveman chapter is all about class.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I always do admire the wonderfully slap-sticky nature of the Prehistoric chapter, in part because it is likely a consequence of the decision to have the entire chapter feature no dialogue (at least that isn't conveyed through other sprite work).

Anyway, good to see this getting another go, and I will look forward to the almost equally circus-like Bakumatsu chapter to be sure.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Um

Uhh

Is Zaki's Critical HP sprite him flipping us off while his lizard stands, well, erect?

This chapter... doesn't DO subtlety. When in doubt, yes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
zaki is probably the best character in a very charming game

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Ah yes, this game's truly unique. I really like the idea of a bunch of microadventures for a jrpg.

Problem is the battle system is both slow and opaque, and since certain chapters don't have regular encounters to get you adapted to how your character works and how to handle enemies makes things hard to play.
I'm really not sure how you'd figure out how to play the brawler's chapter without foreknowledge or a guide, and if that's the chapter you chose first well then good luck.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Acne Rain posted:

Ah yes, this game's truly unique. I really like the idea of a bunch of microadventures for a jrpg.

If you like games like this, you could also try SaGa Frontier (it's flawed, but has a lot of neat ideas, and a lot of the game's cut content still has a great deal of evidence laying around for it, like fully-developed environments, which is a rare thing in video games and it's kind of an odd sensation, wandering through what's basically the ghost of an idea), Treasure of the Rudra (rather than an anthology, three closely-interwoven stories that play out simultaneously and can be jumped between freely), SaGa Frontier 2, or Phantasy Star III (generational games that jump between characters on a linear timeline), to name a few examples of games made up of multiple smaller adventures. I'm sure there's a ton of others I'm forgetting, but around the time of Live A Live, that sort of narrative style ended up in a lot of lesser-known titles, many of which never made it out of Japan. None quite as disparate in tone and setting as Live A Live, but they're all quite interesting in their own ways.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
This game always stuck me as some sort of in-studio challenge to make as many different genres as possible while using the exact same RPG engine.

Some are more rpg than others in their gameplay, but only maybe two of them felt to me like "standard jrpg", which is a pretty big departure from other games with the character select gimmick where all of them are just different short jrpg stories.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 20, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

EclecticTastes posted:

If you like games like this, you could also try SaGa Frontier (it's flawed, but has a lot of neat ideas, and a lot of the game's cut content still has a great deal of evidence laying around for it, like fully-developed environments, which is a rare thing in video games and it's kind of an odd sensation, wandering through what's basically the ghost of an idea), Treasure of the Rudra (rather than an anthology, three closely-interwoven stories that play out simultaneously and can be jumped between freely), SaGa Frontier 2, or Phantasy Star III (generational games that jump between characters on a linear timeline), to name a few examples of games made up of multiple smaller adventures. I'm sure there's a ton of others I'm forgetting, but around the time of Live A Live, that sort of narrative style ended up in a lot of lesser-known titles, many of which never made it out of Japan. None quite as disparate in tone and setting as Live A Live, but they're all quite interesting in their own ways.

SF2 kicks a lot of rear end and is an a amazing game with amazing music and go play it now.

Live a live seems to be really unique in a sense.
Im just wondering if was an experimental outlet or something similar. Especially since back then being weird and experimental for the pure sake of it was quute rare.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 20, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Acne Rain posted:

Problem is the battle system is both slow and opaque, and since certain chapters don't have regular encounters to get you adapted to how your character works and how to handle enemies makes things hard to play.
I'm really not sure how you'd figure out how to play the brawler's chapter without foreknowledge or a guide, and if that's the chapter you chose first well then good luck.
The battle system is actually quite fast. Considering that you have a button to skip turns and that a turn can consist of either moving a single square or turning a single direction it can get really fast when you know what you're doing. Fast enough that the only thing you should be spending more than 20 seconds fighting are bosses and certain tough enemies. Mainly because things should die in your opening salvos.

The Brawler's chapter gimmick is made through it's intro and I understood what was going on even though it was my first chapter :v: Granted it still kicked my butt all over the place because I hadn't figured out a bunch of stuff and it's one of the harder chapters if you follow it's gimmick to completion.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That chapter is like playing a Megaman game for the first time; you'll make some mistakes, sure, but it's expected. You're not expected to know the exact route to take and part of the fun is finding out what's effective and where. If I remember right, you can do pretty much any order and get through it just fine, too, given you know what you're doing or have a bit of luck on your side.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 03: Battling in the badlands.

So after getting thrown out of his tribe’s cave along with his ape buddy and new girlfriend, Ayla had about five seconds to think before this pair of sabretooth tigers tried to kill him. Prehistory was not an easy place to live. :v:

As you might have guessed, the main idea of fighting these things is ‘stay away from the end with teeth’.

Seriously. Especially with Gori, because his defence is nearly nonexistent.

Although this does give me a chance to mention something… There are no revival items in this game. Instead, you can use any source of healing at all to get someone back on their feet. (I didn’t bother using the Giant Meaty Bone here.)

The trade-off? If someone gets hit again with no HP, they get removed from battle and forced to use the worse experience formula for that fight.

The pair of tigers have an EXP value of 8, so Bel levels up in a single fight. In fact, most encounters in this area share the same value, so expect our group to rocket up a couple of levels here.

The sad music will continue all across this area until we get the next plot point. The plains don’t have a whole lot to see outside of new encounters, so let’s cover the highlights.

Ayla learns Boom Boom at level 6, a leaping attack that knocks the enemy back and turns them around, but will sometimes lower Ayla’s speed. It’s alright.

Wooly mammoths roam the plains, so Ayla can finally realise his dream of hunting them. The dangerous spot for these guys consists of the three panels directly below them, where they will use Crush Underfoot and wreck you royally. Male or female, encountering one is worth an EXP value of 10.

Up in the northwest part of the plains, there’s a craftsmen caveman in case you need some new gear.

Ayla learns Gotcha!, a draining attack that can lower enemy vitality and power, and give them to Ayla instead. Oh, and there are Moas out here too.

Bel learns an instant healing technique at level 3 which can buff power as an added bonus. :iia: Disturbance is an attack we’ll see in a few chapters, and the level drain is always a mild annoyance.

As the sun begins to set, we manage to find a stone head near the northeast corner, close to our intended destination. We can’t do anything with it right now, but remember that it’s here.

Mere frames later, the game throws a 9 EXP value encounter at us. The six sabretooths can really do a number on you, unless…

You take advantage of crowd control. :getin: My positioning was actually poorly chosen here; if you target the space Bel is on, it will hit the top two as well. Putting five out of six tigers to sleep immediately is a great way to trivialize this encounter.

As night rolls in, Ayla gets to demonstrate that beloved trick of cavemen everywhere: how to make fire. :flame: The charge time is a bit long with Ayla’s current speed, but the fire field left behind deals 24 damage with every tick.

Ah, much better. After that, the next interesting thing is when Bel hits level 7, learning her final technique.

:asoiaf:

Laa Laa has to be charged, but it’s basically the equivalent of bringing a tactical nuke to a gunfight. It hits a 5x5 area, and can be targeted up to three spaces away in any of eight directions.

Alright, that’s enough messing around. Bel is level 7 while the guys are both level 9. Let’s progress.

By the way, Zaki hasn’t given up on getting Bel back.

Uh-oh. Looks like they heard us coming.

Might as well light a fire though.

...Ayla doesn’t treat Gori very well.

Some hungry rumbling is heard from both Ayla and Bel’s stomachs.

Gori makes a different kind of rumbling.

Okay, so maybe Gori deserves it. :v:

At least Ayla and Bel can laugh it off. While Gori lies nearby, beaten unconscious.

-------

Ah, what a pleasant scene. Such nice music. :allears: Ayla and Bel, all alone amongst a sea of flowers.

Alas, the reality of things is not quite as cheery. Come back here, you clowns! :argh:

And of course, Zaki takes a cheap shot.

His pride won’t let him pass up this chance to repay Ayla for earlier.

So, Zaki round 2. He doesn’t seem to be as strong as before, and Ayla’s added levels aren’t helping matters.

So I mess around a little this time to show off a new technique. Ohh! Ohh! hits the entire field for about 50-60 damage after a brief charge. It’s great for hordes of weaker enemies.

Zaki goes down like a sack of bricks after just three attacks.

(Music stops.)

:fuckoff:

And this time, don’t come back!

...Wait, he still has Bel.

Gori, get your lazy rear end up.

Hmm… Hmm.

Let’s see if the ape can do any better.

:allears: Gori, you total dick. You’re lucky that worked.

...Well, poo poo. Zaki has placed the world’s most obvious trap, but we’re going to have to fall for it.

-------

Ayla finds himself in the field of flowers again, but this time he’s all alone. Run in any direction for a while, and…

...Huh.

-------

Well, that was something I’d like to unsee. And also we’re caught in Zaki’s trap.

The only sound is the wind blowing, and there’s a lot of scents around. Two of them are Meaty Bones, which you can pick up if you find them in this dark maze. Most of the scents are skulls, and one smells of Zaki.

There are only three kinds of enemies down here, and two of them are these reptilian beasties. As with the tigers, stay away from the teeth. Encounters with these are worth 5, 8 or 10 depending on how many females appear.

Gori quickly learns BlumBlum, a strong AoE skill with barely any charge time. The downside is that it might lower his power.

The two bones are in the left-hand column and near the bottom-right corner.

Oh, and these are our other enemies down here. The Cackle Moles have 10 HP and a paltry EXP value of 5. You can also find a single one with an EXP value of 1. They are mostly fodder.

Unless you stumble into the tiny and very specific range of their Bite. Other than that, their alternate attack will deal 0-1 damage at our levels. It will push you back though, and being moved interrupts charging attacks. And just to kick you in the shins one more time, they’re pretty evasive.

Once the spot that smells of Zaki is found, Ayla can bust out and go get his girlfriend back! :black101:

I… wha… ba… drat it, Gori. :cripes:

The Ku tribe’s home is just a short walk west from here, but we have one more set of random encounters to deal with.

These things don’t do much damage at all, but they have a lot of health. This encounter is one of the two most rewarding in this area, boasting an EXP value of 12. :signings: Most of the others have 11, aside from a couple of outdated enemies with 7.

Aside from the rhino-like enemies, the only new faces are these Moa-type enemies (that don’t cause shockwaves or fire railguns :v:).

Gori leans his final move when he hits level 11, which works much like Ayla’s Gotcha! (so both of them have a source of healing at least).

Another of you guys? Well, I guess I can make something…

Stone Knife+Hard Rock makes this item, which can be used in two different ways. As an accessory, it reduces speed by 10 and boosts your evasion of various IQ-based attacks. But it also functions as an infinite-use item while unequipped; after a brief charge time, it heals a 3x3 area and provides a good selection of stat boosts.

Alright, this is it. Let’s bust on into the Ku tribe’s place.

The front way in is guarded (sort of), so let’s poke around up this other path.

It’s not a long walk. Just head up to the edge, and…

Oh no.

Well, guess at least five guys didn’t know to get out of the way of the smitten gorilla.

And now we have a way in! Don’t go into the left or middle doors, by the way. They have Ku tribe encounters inside that give lousy experience, and start throwing out guys afterward that harass you whenever you’re in the area.

The shelves hold crafting junk I’m far past caring about (Hide, Hard Rock, Stone Knife), and… Oh boy.

...So a pink gorilla just jiggled her breasts in Ayla’s face. I think we’re done here. :gonk:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I think it's important to note that damage squares won't exclusively hurt enemies; if you walk into them, you'll take the damage as well. Some techniques will create more than one square, too, so if you're not careful, you can really gently caress yourself up. They'll also fade after a bit of time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I love Gori's 'I ain't jumpin' I'ma walk around this hole' animation. I find it the funniest thing in this chapter :allears:

There's a few more things about the battle system I'm saving for when they're a bit more relevant.

Bel's Laa Laa technique is your reward for taking the time to level her up before continuing the story.
It's kind of necessary/makes a certain thing a LOT easier.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I somehow ended up stuck in the dark cave, I'm not sure if it was an emulator issue or what but I found the Zaki scent but couldn't pass through.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Leavemywife posted:

I think it's important to note that damage squares won't exclusively hurt enemies; if you walk into them, you'll take the damage as well. Some techniques will create more than one square, too, so if you're not careful, you can really gently caress yourself up. They'll also fade after a bit of time.

However, some enemies can absorb certain elements, which turn damage squares into healing squares. The amount involved isn't huge, but it's something, and can be quite annoying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And Gori just kind of... falls into a harem. I guess it's his turn to be out of the party now?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

However, some enemies can absorb certain elements, which turn damage squares into healing squares. The amount involved isn't huge, but it's something, and can be quite annoying.

I think this effect can also be reversed, so if you need a quick pick-me-up and can make some squares that'll hurt them and heal you, you've got a small form of immortality.

Assuming that things haven't already gone to poo poo to the point where you're scrambling to survive. In my experiences, if it hits that point, you're probably screwed.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I think this effect can also be reversed, so if you need a quick pick-me-up and can make some squares that'll hurt them and heal you, you've got a small form of immortality.

I was thinking that mentioning that some equipment absorbs elements was a slight gameplay spoiler, but I guess it doesn't matter, since the knowledge is devoid of context. But, yeah, it can be useful in the right circumstances.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

I was thinking that mentioning that some equipment absorbs elements was a slight gameplay spoiler

I would think since it's a Square RPG, that'd be par for the course, but if Eevee wants us to not discuss things like that, I'll drop it.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

And Gori just kind of... falls into a harem. I guess it's his turn to be out of the party now?

Hey, he deserves to have something go his way after getting smacked around by Pogo all the time.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Update 04: Big game hunting.

Alright, let’s nip this Gori harem nonsense right in the bud.

I mean really… Some lady apes have no taste. Oh, and here’s Ayla’s while I’m showing off concept art.

The ladies will follow us around the room and get in the way, so let’s continue onward.

The room on the left has a Big Stick and a Bone inside for the completionists. And the door on the right…

Leads to a whole bunch of encounter with single Ku tribe members. You know, the ones with 40 HP and no attack power.

There are ten of them in total. They’re complete time-wasters.

But as soon as they’re all defeated, something special happens. Aside from the music changing, that is.

You see, that door there leads to the final confrontation. The chapter is almost at its end already. (My claims about it being long may have been based on things explained in about nineteen screenshots’ time.)

However! There is side stuff to do, and it literally just became available when those ten cavemen died.

So it’s out of the cave we go, and back toward where Zaki set his trap.

By the way, there are more mammoths on this path. They have more HP, but behave like the earlier versions.

Ayla reaches level 12 along the way, learning his second-last tech. Zdogeradein has a somewhat lengthy charge time, but it does about double Bash Bash’s damage to a target up to two spaces away from Ayla. It’s pretty decent.

Our first bit of side content is just here. Let’s observe.

Well, that certainly is one way to cross that gap.

(Music stops.)

Though, uh… Perhaps not the best way. RIP that dude.

Remember the other guy’s reaction.

Okay, side thing number two! Remember this stone face? Well, now we can do something with it. Here’s what you do:

Step One: Stand where Ayla is, facing the statue.
Step Two: Press A exactly 100 times. No more, no less. You will hear a sound like a door opening. Any extra button presses will close it again.

Step Three: Come over to the western end of this area, where a cave has now opened up.

Step Four: Enjoy the chapter’s theme for the first time since the opening.
Step Five: Touch the monolith.

Step Six: Give it a Bone. Do not give it anything else, or you will screw yourself out of the reward.

Step Seven: Enjoy your new pet rock.

No, I don’t have any clue how you would know to do any of that without a guide. :v:

The Basic Rock is worth a whopping +50 IQ as an accessory, or you can use it repeatedly to scan an enemy’s HP. It will also attempt to lower their IQ and inflict two status effects; one stops the use of any techs which require hands, while the other prevents both movement and techs that require feet.

The Basic Rock is awesome, is what I’m getting at here. :getin:

Fffffffffffffffffffffffff-

Okay, the third and final bit of side content is this motherfucker. There is a mammoth running around this area, invisible like any of the other encounters. He has in fact been here since we escaped Zaki’s trap, unlike the other stuff which just became available.

The catch? He’s very, very fast. And unlike anything else which you just need to touch, you actually have to interact with this mammoth to start a fight with him. So good luck even getting to the fight.

Some time running around mashing A later…

There he is, King Mammoth! A couple of chapters have special bonus bosses to be fought, and this guy is our first. As such, he gets the proper boss music.

Ladies and gents, this is:

:rock: When AlphaKretin mentioned a song from this game making it into Theatrhythm as DLC, this is the one. MEGALOMANIA is pretty great boss music. Listen to it.

As for King Mammoth, he’s easily one of the most hated enemies in this game. :argh: He has four moves:
- Flamethrower, which he is only likely to use if you’re diagonal to him. Hits a 3x3 area, but doesn’t do much damage at all.
- Trunk Whip, a standard mammoth move. Single-target, does about the same as Flamethrower.
- Huge Explosion, hits a 5x5 area centred on himself. Creates fire fields that King Mammoth heals from. Does more than half Ayla’s HP at level 12, over 300 damage.
- Great Eruption, hits the entire battlefield and turns it all into fire fields. :gonk: Does 150-200 damage at this level.

Needless to say, the difficulty of King Mammoth hinges on how often he’s able to use those latter two moves. He’s also reasonably evasive, because gently caress you. And his defense is crazy.

He is however vulnerable to status effects. Ayla can inflict poison, sleep and stun with his various moves; keeping this rear end in a top hat stunned or asleep for most of the fight tends to be key to actually winning.

My first attempt did not go quite as I would have liked, I will admit. Level 12 is not a great time to be trying to take King Mammoth on.

Incidentally, this is what a game over looks like in this chapter.

Sooooo… Here’s a problem. The highest EXP value that encounters have in this chapter, other than that jerkface mammoth’s 15… is 12. And more common encounters before the Ku tribe’s home are 11. So that is six or seven experience gained per fight if you want to go above level 12.

Alternatively:

Action Replay posted:

7E2A1E64: 100 EXP for all characters, will level up after next fight. (You have to look at their equip screen between each battle to make this take effect.)

For those of you who might be playing along, you be the judge. Fight sixty encounters, or four. I did it legit for my first playthrough, which would probably be why I thought this chapter was longer than it really should be.

You see, Ayla learns his last tech at level 16. Dodegesden has wildly random damage, ranging from 300-700 when you first get it. Using it also attempts to absolutely tank all of Ayla’s stats, including his level.

Makes an excellent finisher though. Strategy for this fight: Place Ayla and Gori on the diagonal, have Gori use the Venus Figurine constantly. Ayla spams PushPush to stun (which does about 100 damage at level 16 instead of 50 at 12), finishes with Dodegesden. Use Giant Meaty Bones as needed.

If you can manage to beat King Mammoth, the King’s Fang is your reward. Gives +20 Pw.

However.

King Mammoth also has a random drop. Yes, you do have to reload, hunt him and beat him again for another shot at it if you miss it the first time.

The Cola Bottle gives +30 Sp as an accessory, which is definitely pretty nice. It also does… this.

:asoiaf:

Eat your heart out, Zaki. We have the true murder lizards.

Lizards for everybody!

:black101:

Ahhh… Cathartic. And appropriate, as EclecticTastes explains:

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, I have no idea how you're supposed to know about the stone face other than it being mildly suspicious and 100 being a nice, round number, but from that point, the rest of the secret, like much of Live A Live, is an extended film reference, in this case, to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. You're a protohuman looking at a monolith, pretty clear reference. So, naturally, you throw a bone in the air. Given its power to enhance intelligence and perform an unusual effect on-use, one can assume that the Basic Rock is, in fact, a piece of the Monolith (EDIT: In fact, if you watch carefully, you'll see that the Basic Rock's coloration is the same as the monolith).

Additionally, the Cola Bottle is another movie reference, this time to The Gods Must be Crazy, the most commercially successful film ever made in South Africa (this is literally true). It's a comedy about some guys from an isolated tribe of people in Botswana, who find a glass Coke bottle that's been thrown from an airplane and landed unbroken (those bottles were pretty thick). They immediately find it has a million and one uses for them, from starting fires to making music, and decide it was a gift from the gods. But, there's only the one, so it causes a lot of internal strife over who gets to use it, and ultimately they decide the gods must not have been thinking clearly when they sent the gift, and so the village leader heads off on an epic journey to dispose of the bottle off the edge of the world, having failed to get rid of it a few other ways. And that's just, like, the first twenty minutes, the rest is just watching the poor guy deal with western civilization in more or less all the ways you'd expect of a film made in South Africa in 1980. So, to summarize, that's why the Cola Bottle is some sort of nigh-omnipotent superweapon.

Okay, let’s finish this.

For REASONS™, I will be equipping all of my best stuff on Ayla. Sadly, this means I can’t murder the final boss of the chapter with LIZARDS.

:ducksiren: The rest of the update is also available in video form.

The Ku tribe seem to be ready to do… whatever it is they want to do with Bel.

...That music track has a rather worrying title.

[Music stops.]

Hey, is this a private party, or can anybody join? :smug:

Alright, one more time! Let’s do this!

...Sadly, despite doing well over double his health in damage, it turns out Zaki is invulnerable here. Just attack him four times, and then…

:confuoot:

Oh. That… That’s not good. :ohdear:

Well, that could have gone better. Not quite the daring rescue Ayla had in mind, I’m sure.

And that sure doesn’t inspire confidence.

...Come to think of it, what exactly were they sacrificing Bel to?

Something big and stompy.

Something that roars.

Something that just ate Zaki’s chief.

Something that Gori just pissed off.

Something that we will MURDER THE poo poo OUT OF! CHAAAARGE! :black101:

This is it, the final boss of Ayla’s chapter! And it’s a goddamn T-Rex!

...And Zaki’s here to help? :psyduck: Good on him, I guess.

Eat Dodegesden, dino breath. (O-D-O has 992 HP. Preparing for any bonus bosses will make that chapter’s final boss a joke.)

Also, remember what Bel learnt before she got captured?

And thus, the powerful T-Rex was slain with the power of song.

The beast stumbles back… and falls.

The party stands triumphant as a new day dawns.

And a much more pleasant landscape lies before Ayla and his friends.

Gori is his usual stupid self.

What remains of the Ku tribe approaches Zaki, now without their chief or the dinosaur they worshipped.

The elder of Ayla’s tribe appears to confront him.

But lest we forget that this chapter is now, and always was, all about slapstick.

-------

And so Zaki became the new chieftain of the Ku tribe, and the two tribes were at peace.

-------

And that, ladies and gents, is how language was invented.

-------

After being prompted to save our game, we return to the chapter select screen. Chronological order seems to be the popular vote presently, so I suspect we will be taking a look at “ancient China” in the Kungfu chapter next. If you still want to try and get something other than the default name for the Master and his style (Xin Shan Quan), now’s the time to vote.

Bonus video: A fairer fight with O-D-O.

-------

Notable Quotables

idonotlikepeas posted:

Oh, speaking of movies, there are probably two more that bear mentioning before we leave the Caveman chapter behind us entirely. The first is, in fact, called Caveman. It's a slapstick comedy from 1981 about a caveman outcast from his tribe and his love life featuring poop, lots of people getting smacked with rocks, and a dinosaur super high on pot, starring one Ringo Starr. Yeah, that Ringo Starr, did you really think there were two?

It's notable insofar as the movie contains almost no English whatsoever; there's one character who speaks it as part of a brief gag, but for the most part they're communicating in a conlang with a very small vocabulary. The basic plot involves Starr assembling a Fellowship-of-the-ring style group of misfits blah blah taking his place blah blah romantic comedy stuff. As in the game, most of the action has to be sold via very broad physical comedy; that's part of why a dialogue-free section is bound to be slapstick, since pratfalls and poop-flinging require no explanation. It is absolutely terrible and I remember it fondly.

The second is called Clan of the Cave Bear, and is where the name Ayla originated. (The name in Chrono Trigger is a reference to that character.) Clan of the Cave Bear was originally a book, part of a series of novels which I can only describe as historical caveman romances, starring a woman named Ayla who is the only Cro-Magnon in a Neanderthal tribe. This version of Ayla looked like this, though:

Clan also didn't use spoken dialogue; for the most part, the characters speak in sign language and we get subtitles. It wasn't so much a comedy, and while it did feature an arrogant douchebag as the primary antagonist, he didn't use a lizard as a loincloth.

Unoriginal One posted:

Rather late, but there are a fair number of official remixes for Live A Live scattered around Square's compilation albums, both from the assorted SQs and the Yoko Shimomura collections.

Seeing as Caveman's out of the way...

KISS OF JEALOUSY - MEMÓRIA!

KISS OF JEALOUSY (Karaoke) - MEMÓRIA! For those who would rather go without vocals.

And, while I'm at it, a few samples of MEGALOMANIA, also from the same album.

MEGALOMANIA - MEMÓRIA!

MEGALOMANIA (Karaoke) - MEMÓRIA!

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 9, 2016

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Everyone has heard of the powerful martial art of old Master Yoga

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's worth noting that terrain tiles deal and recover damage for every tile you're on, so while the game says king mammoth is healing 24 hp it's actually 216, which is a little discouraging if you don't know what's going on!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You got the Cola Bottle :stare:
That's probably the biggest secret in the game thanks to being on a bonus boss you nominally have to grind to beat.
Bel's Laa Laa is usually my key to beating him aside from getting Ayla to 16 and using his ultimate technique. The strategy is even the same.

Level 16 is going to become something of a theme throughout the game. Hacking aside, it's your level cap. While the XP formula denotes that you should be getting xp at increasingly glacial rates (against the rank 12 encounters you'd be gaining 7 xp at 16) when you actually go to fight them you'll find that you're not gaining anything. It's an enforced limit, 16 is more than enough to beat the chapter bosses.

Zaki being a party member is somewhat telegraphed when you realize all of the other enemies in the setting, including the Kuu tribe dudes, are static images while he has multiple frames and idle animations. As a party member he's there if you rush through this chapter normally without leveling up much. That is to say he makes the fight possible, you're still fighting a dang T-Rex and he's mostly just got his attacks from when you fought him (yes, you can use Barideen to pixel flash the T-Rex.) Ayla still has to do the bulk of the work while Gori's biggest contribution is making poison fields under it and then being dead weight/item tosser. Bel nominally gets up to level 3 so she can at least heal everyone when she's not dying from a single attack.

I usually do Kung-Fu third in my 'chronological runs' but it's got some good stuff to teach. It's the most helpful chapter for figuring out the combat of the game.

Edit: Oh right, the boss theme is awesome and pretty much always fits despite the disparity of the chapters. It's good to get you pumped for taking on whatever comes your way! :black101:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 21, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Everyone knows that Bruce teaches the amazing style that bears his name.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If every name is going to be a reference....
SprAsia

Or some shortening thereof if it dont fit.

E:drat you 6 letter limit

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 21, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

Step Seven: Enjoy your new pet rock.

No, I don’t have any clue how you would know to do any of that without a guide. :v:

Well, I have no idea how you're supposed to know about the stone face other than it being mildly suspicious and 100 being a nice, round number, but from that point, the rest of the secret, like much of Live A Live, is an extended film reference, in this case, to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. You're a protohuman looking at a monolith, pretty clear reference. So, naturally, you throw a bone in the air. Given its power to enhance intelligence and perform an unusual effect on-use, one can assume that the Basic Rock is, in fact, a piece of the Monolith (EDIT: In fact, if you watch carefully, you'll see that the Basic Rock's coloration is the same as the monolith).

Additionally, the Cola Bottle is another movie reference, this time to The Gods Must be Crazy, the most commercially successful film ever made in South Africa (this is literally true). It's a comedy about some guys from an isolated tribe of people in Botswana, who find a glass Coke bottle that's been thrown from an airplane and landed unbroken (those bottles were pretty thick). They immediately find it has a million and one uses for them, from starting fires to making music, and decide it was a gift from the gods. But, there's only the one, so it causes a lot of internal strife over who gets to use it, and ultimately they decide the gods must not have been thinking clearly when they sent the gift, and so the village leader heads off on an epic journey to dispose of the bottle off the edge of the world, having failed to get rid of it a few other ways. And that's just, like, the first twenty minutes, the rest is just watching the poor guy deal with western civilization in more or less all the ways you'd expect of a film made in South Africa in 1980. So, to summarize, that's why the Cola Bottle is some sort of nigh-omnipotent superweapon.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 21, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So does this game have the problem I have with a lot of chapter-based games where you spend most of it in the less fun early-to-mid-game? I can already tell from this chapter that you have to watch the credits like 8 times but SNES games don't have huge credits and there's something to watch in the background. :)

E; Also I know I brought it up but ugghh don't mention Theatrhythm DLC it reminds me that I can't afford it. :smith:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 21, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

So does this game have the problem I have with a lot of chapter-based games where you spend most of it in the less fun early-to-mid-game?

No, for multiple reasons, none of which I can really discuss in-depth right now, but keep an eye on the LP, it'll be all the explanation you'll need. Well, I can at least say that low-level play isn't as unfun as some other games (SaGa Frontier definitely had an issue with slow start-up for each character's story...).

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Mygna posted:

Everyone has heard of the powerful martial art of old Master Yoga

I believe you mean Master Yoda.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Master Yoga would be great if his chosen successor was called Dhalsim.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Well, good on Ayla for saving humanity from the last T-Rex. That always bothered me.

It was blocking the only way out of the overgrazed wasteland the cavemen called home, and was evidently having trouble hunting in the forest because it kept coming up to the Ku Tribe's village for handouts and getting unruly if it wasn't fed. Someone had the bright idea of feeding a girl to it, or maybe it snatched one up itself before wandering off, and a sick religion based on human sacrifices to a hungry god was born. By the start of the chapter, both the Ku Tribe and Pogo's tribe were running short on women, so they started capturing female gorillas and hoped O-D-O would be satisfied with eating those for awhile until Zaki could hunt down some proper captives again.

As for Zaki, I always thought of him as someone who once had a girl he loved, but she was taken from him and fed to O-D-O to buy the Ku Tribe another month's survival. He's torn apart inside and wants revenge for what happened to her, but he thinks O-D-O is a god and can't be stopped, so he takes out his frustration on the other women in the wasteland as well as the men trying to shelter them from the O-D-O cult. This has made him better than anyone else in the Ku Tribe at tracking down sacrificial captives, even though he hates the god they're being fed to.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

No, for multiple reasons, none of which I can really discuss in-depth right now, but keep an eye on the LP, it'll be all the explanation you'll need. Well, I can at least say that low-level play isn't as unfun as some other games (SaGa Frontier definitely had an issue with slow start-up for each character's story...).

There's one: length. The Caveman chapter is probably tied for second longest in the game if you craft up a storm and level to 16 to beat the King Mammoth. They don't overstay their welcome at all and their stories are all done pretty well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Suggestion for Kung Fu Master's name to be a secret. The WuTang secret that is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, is there a reason you left an emulator reload in the final video?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'd vote for Cube next because otherwise he'd be last and I kind of want to see his scenario played. Oh well.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Choco1980 posted:

Suggestion for Kung Fu Master's name to be a secret. The WuTang secret that is.

It ain't nothing to gently caress with!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Voting for alternating chronological order and reverse-chronological order, so Cube, then Martial Arts, then Akira, and so on.

Also, default names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Voting for WuTang.

Also, could you possibly show off just what O-D-O can do if you aren't horribly overleveled for him?

• Locked thread