Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

G-III posted:

You won't die but any dark meat on bone should be done for much longer. At least 3-4 hours depending on the size, better at 6-8 hours for texture and flavor.

This is the recipe I followed: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-thigh.html

He says the same recipe can be followed for drumsticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Generally speaking is there a danger of leaving something in a sous vide for too long? I made a London broil that I left in for 48 hours (originally wanted 24 just for grins) and it seemed to turn out fine as far as London broils go.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

DARPA Dad posted:

This is the recipe I followed: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-thigh.html

He says the same recipe can be followed for drumsticks.

Here's a table on pasteurization times for poultry for 150 and below: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_4.1
1 hour could be right at the edge depending on how thick the drumsticks were, but even then it's probably safe you just aren't getting the full reduction in bacteria to qualify for pasteurization.

When I made that recipe I went with 165 instead of 150 because dark meat at lower temperatures just seems off to me, even if it is cooked until it's safe to eat. Chicken thighs at 165 were perfect for my tastes. Chicken breasts at 150 are great though and I just cook until they hit the times on the chart above and haven't had any issues, it's usually longer than the recipes call for but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything with regards to texture/taste. My wife's pregnant so I don't want to mess around with under cooked food.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

M. Night Skymall posted:

Here's a table on pasteurization times for poultry for 150 and below: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_4.1
1 hour could be right at the edge depending on how thick the drumsticks were, but even then it's probably safe you just aren't getting the full reduction in bacteria to qualify for pasteurization.

When I made that recipe I went with 165 instead of 150 because dark meat at lower temperatures just seems off to me, even if it is cooked until it's safe to eat. Chicken thighs at 165 were perfect for my tastes. Chicken breasts at 150 are great though and I just cook until they hit the times on the chart above and haven't had any issues, it's usually longer than the recipes call for but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything with regards to texture/taste. My wife's pregnant so I don't want to mess around with under cooked food.

Oh, I did 165, as well.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Steve Yun posted:

If you get the white lid, it's soft enough that you can cut it with strong scissors. The sorta-clear lids are a slightly more brittle plastic that might shard in weird ways if you scissor it.

edit: me, being me, I want the clear lid so I waited until the dremel dropped in price on Amazon and now I'm waiting for it to arrive

FWIW, I was able to use kitchen scissors to make a cutout for the lid on my Rubbermaid Commercial 12-quart this morning for some ribs I'm doing for a couple days (part numbers FG631200CLR and FG652300WHT - they were cheaper than Cambro and Prime-eligible on Amazon). I didn't have a lid on overnight and lost 1-2qt, but with the lid on since this morning it's lost practically no water!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dirk the Average posted:

Generally speaking is there a danger of leaving something in a sous vide for too long? I made a London broil that I left in for 48 hours (originally wanted 24 just for grins) and it seemed to turn out fine as far as London broils go.

Not safety-wise but depending on what you're cooking you might be making some meats A) taste more gamey, livery or even farty tasting or B) feel more pasty, dry and gross feeling in texture if you cook them too long.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
I have two Atlantic king salmon filets that are 6 oz each. First time vizzling salmon so I thought I'd do 122F for about 25 minutes or so. Is brining necessary or important? How long? What should it consist of? What should go in the bag with the salmon? People generally seem to agree that a tablespoon or two of olive oil should go in the bag but no one seems to agree on brining. Modernist Cuisine says 3 hours in salt, water and sugar. Douglas Baldwin says 10 minutes with just salt and water. ChefSteps doesn't mention brining at all. What about the skin? MC says use skinless filets, Baldwin says remove the skin and cook it separately in the oven and CS leaves the skin on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You have two filets, cook them each in different ways and see which one you like better.

Do minimal vacuum on them however, and ziploc is preferable in fact. Fish flesh doesn't stand up well to vacuuming as well as land meats.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 17, 2016

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

You have two filets, cook them each in different ways and see which one you like better.

Do minimal vacuum on them however, and ziploc is preferable in fact. Fish flesh doesn't stand up well to vacuuming as well as land meats.

I would but I'm cooking for two people and I'd feel uncomfortable serving two different preparations. No ziplocs, but my FoodSaver has a moist setting. Would that work?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DARPA Dad posted:

I would but I'm cooking for two people and I'd feel uncomfortable serving two different preparations. No ziplocs, but my FoodSaver has a moist setting. Would that work?

Yeah, or just cut it off early, like before it smashes the meat.

e: So my original Anova died and stopped heating late last year. I emailed support and they said they'd send me a new one when I mailed mine out. In the mean-time I bought another Anova One during their $99 sale. The replacement showed up earlier this week and I just opened it, they sent me a precision, with bluetooth so that's pretty cool. Getting my tepid puddle up to temp for some chicken now.

Haha, bluetooth water cooker, my mind is blown, hello future town. Click on a recipe and hit start the Anova screams some shrill beeps and starts on its merry way.

I with that they would have moved the clamp down like another 1/4-1/2" to fit on on unmodified cambro :( I still need to cut mine up in a few places.

Also the non-detachable cord/no switch is dumb.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 17, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah you can hit seal before its done vacuuming, once most of the air is out.

If I had to pick one I'd go with modernist cuisine.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

large hands posted:

Did a cheap eye of round roast for 30 hours at 131 degrees, turned out fantastic. Pink from edge to edge and melt in your mouth tender. Not a hint of gristle or sinew in that cut so it got turned into French dip sandwiches with a quick jus. A+ will cook regularly

I did this and had similar results. A++ would puddle again.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I can't get over how amazing sous vide chicken breasts are. Did a couple to 140 with a little coconut milk last night and had them sliced thin on top of some red curry and rice. Made the rest of the chicken into pho stock in the pressure cooker today per Kenji's recipe and will have the leftover breast sliced on top of that. Never thought id get excited for chicken breast outside of making them into crispy chicken burgs.

esperantinc posted:

I did this and had similar results. A++ would puddle again.

Nice, I'm getting a beef dip craving again now.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah you can hit seal before its done vacuuming, once most of the air is out.

If I had to pick one I'd go with modernist cuisine.

Okay! Since it won't be done brining until 9 PM, how should I refrigerate them to cook tomorrow? Just keep them in the brine overnight?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'd take them out of the brine and rinse them then put them in ziplock. 3 hours of brine is different from a day in brine.

I would have only brined it right before cooking. The salt that got in will be in the salmon now for a whole day and may or may not cure the salmon more than the recipe intended. I can't say that's a bad thing, I just don't know.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

What's the consensus on countertop machines like this?

It's a lower price point and has gotten good reviews. I know there's some limiting factors, like wifi/BT and container size. But for basic cooking functionality, would this be cool for chicken/steak/etc?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seems really small, wait for a sale and get an Anova and a Cambro.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Just tripped over an article ( http://blog.khymos.org/2012/06/04/maximizing-food-flavor-by-speeding-up-the-maillard-reaction/ ) about speeding up the Maillard reaction. There's a comment in there about a guy trying to replicate a tongue recipe he ran into in Spain. He can't get it to crisp up the same, so he does further research and it ends up they sous vide in cream. Thought you all might find it interesting.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Plinkey posted:

Seems really small, wait for a sale and get an Anova and a Cambro.
Eh, it's the same size as a SVS Demi, and that's big enough that most of the time unless you're cooking for more than four people you don't even need to fill it all the way up.

Goon hivemind consensus is that it's an IC or nothing, but I've been perfectly happy with the SVS I've owned since it was that or DIY. I also own an Anova, but don't use it nearly as often. An IC offers more flexibility in terms of container size, but as a practical matter it's just not something I often care about. Same thing with the counter space argument---on the one hand, it uses counter space (if you don't stash it wherever you're planning on stashing an even bigger cambro, that is). But on the other hand, it's basically zero setup. But really the major advantage I find in units like the SVS is that it has no moving parts. Beyond reliability concerns, it means the puddle machine is completely silent when in operation. If you're just throwing a protein slab in there for around two hours or whatever that's not that big of a deal, but if I'm doing something for 48, 72 hours it's kinda loving nice not to have an IC whirring away all day and night.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have a circulating setup and a still setup. I prefer the circulating setup because it heats up the food faster, but one advantage of the still one is that there's no turbulence to beat up delicate items. On long term cooks (2 days or more) the white label paint that's on foodsaver bags starts coming off due to the constantly moving water, mucking up the inside of the circulator.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Steve Yun posted:

I have a circulating setup and a still setup. I prefer the circulating setup because it heats up the food faster, but one advantage of the still one is that there's no turbulence to beat up delicate items. On long term cooks (2 days or more) the white label paint that's on foodsaver bags starts coming off due to the constantly moving water, mucking up the inside of the circulator.

That's at least not a problem on the Anova (anovae? Anovaii?), if you don't want circulation remove the bottom, if you want less circulation aim it directly behind itself against the wall.

The reason I prefer my Anova to the demi I got rid of is counter footprint for most usages. I usually just use a smaller cambro for my usual two servings (it can fit up to 5 smaller servings for when I meal prep) and it has about half the footprint of a demi.

If I need more volume (for yoghurt for example) I grab my larger cambro.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

deimos posted:

The reason I prefer my Anova to the demi I got rid of is counter footprint for most usages. I usually just use a smaller cambro for my usual two servings (it can fit up to 5 smaller servings for when I meal prep) and it has about half the footprint of a demi.

What size is your "smaller" cambro? I've been using a 12 quart stockpot (with a plastic wrap / foil cover for longer cooks) and I think its time to step up my puddle game. Usually I am only cooking for 2 people, so I'd like to get the smallest thing practical.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sportman posted:

What size is your "smaller" cambro? I've been using a 12 quart stockpot (with a plastic wrap / foil cover for longer cooks) and I think its time to step up my puddle game. Usually I am only cooking for 2 people, so I'd like to get the smallest thing practical.

I really think i'm going to need a second cambro.

I have large square one for most of my coking but i think i'll need a longer flatter one for brisket and other flat (ribs) cuts.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sportman posted:

It's reads 7.3qt at the bottom so I guess it's an 8qt one. Honestly could be even smaller.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I'd take them out of the brine and rinse them then put them in ziplock. 3 hours of brine is different from a day in brine.

I would have only brined it right before cooking. The salt that got in will be in the salmon now for a whole day and may or may not cure the salmon more than the recipe intended. I can't say that's a bad thing, I just don't know.

The salmon turned out amazing last night. Just incredibly tender, almost custardy. It did turn out a bit salty so you were right, but a quick spritz of lemon added enough acidity to balance it out. Cooked the skin separately in the oven sandwiched between two baking sheets and that turned out so crisp I could snap the skin in half like a thin cracker.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Has anyone tried doing prime rib roast sous vide? I have a small (2 bone, 2kg-ish) piece of roast, still small enough to fit in vacuum bags and my cambro.

Every time I've done reverse sear prime rib in the past, it's been a very spergy thing cooking as low temp as possible then prodding the meat all over until it's ready to sear... Seems like sous vide would at least help with the low temperature part before searing it in the oven. But for some unfounded reason, I have the impression that a large piece of meat like that might not be optimal for sous vide.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, works great. Takes forever to sear after with a torch, obviously.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, works great. Takes forever to sear after with a torch, obviously.

Yeah, one of the things I love about reverse searing a big hunk of meat in the oven is that the constant exposure to the low level dry heat does an excellent job drying out the exterior, which makes it crisp up that much nicer when you blast it after it's come to temp and rested.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

Has anyone tried doing prime rib roast sous vide? I have a small (2 bone, 2kg-ish) piece of roast, still small enough to fit in vacuum bags and my cambro.

Every time I've done reverse sear prime rib in the past, it's been a very spergy thing cooking as low temp as possible then prodding the meat all over until it's ready to sear... Seems like sous vide would at least help with the low temperature part before searing it in the oven. But for some unfounded reason, I have the impression that a large piece of meat like that might not be optimal for sous vide.

It would probably work although it's likely to violate safety guidelines because of its thickness (depending on size of course). That's not to say it will make you sick (more than likely it will not) but strictly speaking it should not be done.

I just put it in the lowest my oven will go until it gets to temp, then take it out to rest it while the oven heats up to the hottest it will go. Back in for maybe 5 minutes and serve.

In a low oven, you can get it with every bit as consistent edge to edge doneness as sous vide will give you.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Still experimenting, I think so far salmon is my favourite thing to do sous vide. Even the garbage salmon we get in Germany turns delicious that way.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It would probably work although it's likely to violate safety guidelines because of its thickness (depending on size of course). That's not to say it will make you sick (more than likely it will not) but strictly speaking it should not be done.

I just put it in the lowest my oven will go until it gets to temp, then take it out to rest it while the oven heats up to the hottest it will go. Back in for maybe 5 minutes and serve.

In a low oven, you can get it with every bit as consistent edge to edge doneness as sous vide will give you.

Lowest my oven goes is 150F, but I don't really trust my oven's sensor at low temperatures, so I previously slow roasted at 175F. The results were good, mind you, I just wanted to see if I could do away the temperature probing by using sous vide. But 129F is pretty close to the danger zone, let alone for a 12 hour cook as I was planning. Maybe a quick dip in boiling water should sterilize the surface at least?

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, one of the things I love about reverse searing a big hunk of meat in the oven is that the constant exposure to the low level dry heat does an excellent job drying out the exterior, which makes it crisp up that much nicer when you blast it after it's come to temp and rested.

Yeah, good point. I'm drying it out a bit in the fridge after salting, but sous vide will just keep the juices in and prevent this drying out.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I seriously don't understand that safety objection. If it's thick enough to take a dangerously long time to come to temp in a water bath, why is it not thick enough to take a dangerously long time to come to temp in a low oven?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
One element is that the sous vide is at the target temp but the oven is above the target temp.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anne Whateley posted:

One element is that the sous vide is at the target temp but the oven is above the target temp.

Isn't it the temperature of the meat that matters? Why does the temperature of the surrounding medium make a difference?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

To heat through a large chunk of beef at cooking temp you're also exposing the large chunk of beef to unsafe temps for a longer period of time via SV than oven. Having the oven at 130 would not work well for a similar reason.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Subjunctive posted:

Isn't it the temperature of the meat that matters? Why does the temperature of the surrounding medium make a difference?
Which steak will hit 140° faster, one in a 140° environment or a 200° environment?

(For higher oven vs. lower sous vide, the heat transfer of air vs. water would counteract that, but I don't know to what degree.)

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Water has 4x the specific heat of air by weight. It's about 800 times denser too. My money's on the steak in water hitting (close to) 140 first.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assume part of the concern is regarding anaerobic bacteria, but beyond that I have no idea. Which is why I said you will probably be fine even though it against the food safety rules.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Water has 4x the specific heat of air by weight. It's about 800 times denser too. My money's on the steak in water hitting (close to) 140 first.
I don't think that matters as the water will only be responsible for the near surface of the roast, so as soon as your exterior + a few mm is >140 in the oven, heat transfer is more efficient there. I believe you are correct for thin cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anne Whateley posted:

(For higher oven vs. lower sous vide, the heat transfer of air vs. water would counteract that, but I don't know to what degree.)

Right, what matters is how quickly the meat is heated, which is about the energy transferred, not the temperature of the medium. That's why you can deep-fry a turkey much faster than you can roast it at a higher temperature.