Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eonwe posted:

gillian anderson

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

fuzzknot posted:

I lent him a book called Cooking for Geeks which mentioned that there's no such thing as a failure in the kitchen because you always learn something. And, if nothing else, there's pizza.

That's the one with instructions on how to make a homemade sous vide out of a crockpot, right?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Best stay out of the hockey players thread :o)

You're a meanie.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Tippis posted:

Yeah. I really can't point at anything that made the neurons fire.
But now I want an A-6 for DCS really badly.
Hope DCS has multicrew!

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Eonwe posted:

obviously some cooking styles are very different from others but the cool thin about cooking is once you learn how to prepare an ingredient, a lot of that knowledge carries over to even other styles of cooking!!!!!!

Yes. Certain ingredients or spice combinations show up together in completely different cultures, for instance. Every culture has a variant on a dumpling, chip, or bread.

aleksendr posted:

Sound like you have a gifted student. I agree you should spare him the challenge of beef wellington a litttle longer while you cover puff pastry, quiche and meat pies. You could also consider salmon wellington as a test since its more forgiving than the beef.

Dont feel bad for being stern in the kitchen. While not going full Ramsay on him proper safety precaution like the pan handle bit and correct knife handling are important.

It may take a while before he's comfortable using a rolling pin again. He smashed the poo poo out of his finger last time. :( I'll give it a couple of weeks, possibly with previously mentioned dance of the 36 space scarves.

I feel a little bad about the sternness because it reminds of my dad teaching me how to drive a stick shift. The yelling was extremely counterproductive.

LowellDND posted:

But it doesnt sound like hes ready to cook duck yet :confused:

CLEARLY I was talking about potluck. Jesus.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

You're a meanie.

It's for her own safety.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
fuzzknot you are a good poster, probably one of the better posts in this bad thread

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

fuzzknot posted:

He's resistant to deep frying, so poppadoms wouldn't be an option unless I either made them beforehand or made him try and probably start a grease fire. Perhaps I could encourage him by first doing the dance of the 36 space scarves.

As any starting cook should be. Boiling oIl is something you treat with respect and like a pressure cooker never completely trust.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hav posted:

There's a Smithsonian one, but the mongoose is 88 seconds in and timecodes don't work for the forums, but we can embed tweets. Yay.

Timecodes work fine. Just change the part of the url that is ?t= to #t=

As an example, here's a video starting 88 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8&t=88s

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I made tteok the other night, it's these weird Korean rice cakes that are sorta pasta-like. I mixed it in a spicy ground pork ragu with bok choy leaves and gochujang sauce. It was loving delicious, I can't even pronounce "tteok" but I'm totally gonna make it again someday.

CIG people reading the thread: Tteok would be a pretty good name for a vanduul, but you have to pay me JPEG royalties if you use it

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Ravane posted:

Or just papad. Those delicious crispy lentil chip things.

Dude, if you have cumin, garam masala, asafoetida and chili powder, just throw all that poo poo with some tomatoes into a pot with a little oil. Wait a minute for it to fry Then add 1.5 cups of water and wait for it to boil. Taste every two min. At about 10-15 min, you'll have Rasam, which you can drop into some rice.

Then grab a bag of frozen veggies, thaw them, toss'em into a pan with a little oil, cumin, garam masala, and asafoetida, and fry for five minutes.

Pour the Rasam into the rice with the fried veggie curry as a side. Drop a little plain yogurt onto the side as well.

Decently healthy meal for super cheap that doesn't taste like poo poo. Tastes amazeballs actually.

That sounds awesome and like a good idea for the slow cooker.

ShredsYouSay posted:

If he doesn't want to try poppadoms, there's always NaN bread. You just put 0 pieces of it on the grill for 0 minutes, then your oven becomes undefined.

That nearly happened the three times the smoke detector went off anyway.

I keep telling him that one of these days, we're going to make a day of visiting all the ethnic groceries in the area. We may leave without much, but it should be an educational experience.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Cooking as in "You wont starve or get sick when i'm out of town" or cooking as in " The poeled foi gras was perfect, the beef Wellington succulent and oh my god, that torte was just divine."

God drat I need to make Beef Wellington again. Maybe for valentine's day...

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

It's for her own safety.

I don't think you and Fuzzknot here have met yet, go to the Stars game on the 27th and come upstairs to the bar. Goon alcohol party.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

i never had the patience to sit trough the whole "Morrow tour" before but now that i did :

That thing is Horrendous!. I would be mashing at my skip key after only 2 minutes of that. Gosh ! Those accents !

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

God drat I need to make Beef Wellington again. Maybe for valentine's day...

Sigh.. If only beef filet was not at 83$ a pound around here... I guess i will have to go with a rack of lamb.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Sigh.. If only beef filet was not at 83$ a pound around here... I guess i will have to go with a rack of lamb.

I mean lamb isn't exactly gutter-food either. I had to put a limit on myself to only make a wellington on holidays, because my girlfriend won't ever stop me from making it and I won't ever stop myself either. I would probably spend every paycheck on beef if I could.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Dapper Dan posted:

George Lucas is also a huge troll with charity. He had this plot of land on his ranch where he wanted to build a film museum or something. However, his rich uptight neighbors kept putting a hold on it and blocking him at every turn.

Lucas basically gave up, but was not defeated. He asked himself, 'What do old, rich white people fear the most in their neighborhood?' The answer is low income housing. He plans to use that plot of land to build low income housing for seniors. I mean, that is a brilliant play

:cawg:

That's great. I've always had respect for the man, now I got yet another argument against the haters.

Btw, isn't it just pathetically comical how they have all these nerd-icons such as Mark Hamill and Gillian Andersson, and then NEXT to that, you have the wife of the company director.

How is that NOT the biggest joke in the industry? Anyone can see how that happened. There's no two ways about it.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Bootcha posted:

I don't think you and Fuzzknot here have met yet, go to the Stars game on the 27th and come upstairs to the bar. Goon alcohol party.

Oh dear God no.

I'm NOT driving that night.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

aleksendr posted:

i never had the patience to sit trough the whole "Morrow tour" before but now that i did :

That thing is Horrendous!. I would be mashing at my skip key after only 2 minutes of that. Gosh ! Those accents !
:laffo: this guy thinks there will be a 'skip' key :laffo:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

gently caress, now I'm hungry and I don't know what I want.

If only making pierogies wasn't so friggin tedious. I'm always in the mood for pierogies.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

If only making pierogies wasn't so friggin tedious. I'm always in the mood for pierogies.

do it man

do a pierorgy

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Eonwe posted:

fuzzknot you are a good poster, probably one of the better posts in this bad thread

Awwww. :swoon: I'm glad my terrible shitposts I make instead of working are entertaining.

aleksendr posted:

As any starting cook should be. Boiling oIl is something you treat with respect and like a pressure cooker never completely trust.

Yeah, I almost had a disaster involving overflowing grease onto my gas stove once (!). I'm not in any hurry to revisit that with a new cook. Bootcha, maybe you better check to make sure your fire extinguisher is up to date. :ohdear:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

do it man

do a pierorgy

Seconded.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh poo poo pierogies

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

that is so painfully awkward. the timing, the dialogue, the accents.

seriously it's like watching BSG translated into spanish, become Sweded by the Be Kind Rewind crew, then dubbed back into english again

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

My quick delicious light meal when its cold outside is egg dropping soup.

Get stock (vegetable, chicken, beef, mix, anything can fit but i recommend chicken) add a little water, slice a few green oignon, crack 2 eggs, beat, bring the stock to a boil, spin the stock in the pot and slowly drip in the eggs in a single, long strand.

Add green onion, let cool. eat.

Yes, do the pierogies, with borsch or solianka.

Dooo iiittt....

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 21, 2016

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

spacetoaster posted:

I made a thing.

33:05 of the latest AtV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96EV43rvI5Q

I made another thing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

do it man

do a pierorgy

fuzzknot posted:

Seconded.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

oh poo poo pierogies

Pierogies are go for tomorrow. I actually had to do work at work today (instead of spending the whole day shitposting here) and don't feel like folding dumplings all night. I'm gonna make a big batch of 'em tomorrow and freeze half of them. They're awesome for nights where the girlfriend and I both have class and just need something quick and delicious.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

The above gif is not a threat or a wish, just a joke (disclaimer), I love Ben and want him to get healthy, but this is what he wants to do when sitting with Sandi.

I recommend not sitting with Sandi as a cure.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ZenMaster posted:

I made another thing.

loving hell man :stare: also can someone tell me what in the good goddamn goondeyada is?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ZenMaster posted:

I made another thing.

yikes

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

loving hell man :stare: also can someone tell me what in the good goddamn goondeyada is?

This, but for goons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_f98qOGY0

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

welp reddit lurkers are gonna have a field day with that

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Man, you're making me feel like an amateur, I just buy the premade pierogies.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ZenMaster posted:

I made another thing.

woah :nope:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

It's a sing-a-long goons participated in for an upcoming Bootcha video, one which still awaits Dr. Smart's much-needed contribution.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

ZenMaster posted:

The above gif is not a threat or a wish, just a joke (disclaimer), I love Ben and want him to get healthy, but this is what he wants to do when sitting with Sandi.

I recommend not sitting with Sandi as a cure.

That's why I :yikes:ed away from posts involving me hypothetically curbstomping Karl. Of course I would if I HAD to, but it's not something I want to happen.

:golfclap: to that gif, though.

Bootcha's farewell video with each line sung by a goon. I apologize in advance for mine. I apologize even more so for the hidden track he's planning.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

BMan posted:

Man, you're making me feel like an amateur, I just buy the premade pierogies.

Mrs. T's? I used to buy the poo poo outta those things before I learned how to make them! God drat, I would go through a box of the potato and cheddar ones in like a day and a half.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
derek smart please dont make me shitpost constantly

wheres the GOON DE YADDA DEREK

WHERE IS IT

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I think it's everyone in this thread's dream to someday be a background head in a Bootcha video. It's probably why Seraph kept throwing down his :10bux: and coming back every time he got banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hasn't the pink elephant been in one? idk I think so tho

• Locked thread