Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Colbert's desk segments where it's basically just like the Report are usually great, and sometimes he'll have a good guest on that either works on their own or works because of the back and forth they have together. That's definitely not always the case, though.

That Jon Batiste teaches piano bit was pretty hilarious, but unfortunately bits like that seem to be too few and far between on this show.
I dunno, I feel like the writing for his jokes is pretty stale. Not Leno stale, but just in the way that makes everything feel very lazy about the show. I wonder why Colbert hasn't done more to retain his young brand instead of basically appealing to a Letterman demographic; no amount of sporadic Tolkien references is going to change the general tone of the show, and the tech CEOs are weird to youngs and olds alike.

I'll give him credit for being decent at grilling the more horrible people on the show, but even there the edge has been dulled a lot since the show's inception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Colbert should get someone like Jeff Ross or Dave Attel as his sidekick/announcer to crap on stuff that Colbert's afraid to touch because he's too nice

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

TJ Miller was great on Colbert. Just for how uncomfortable he was making Colbert look.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Stephen Colbert is not woke.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad that BLM guest snuck in a comment about Martin O'Malley being way more tone deaf on racial issues than Bernie and Hillary.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm glad that BLM guest snuck in a comment about Martin O'Malley being way more tone deaf on racial issues than Bernie and Hillary.

Of course he is, he's the inspiration for Mayor Carcetti from The Wire: literally the shining example of a white career politician in a predominantly black American city putting his personal aspirations ahead of the suffering of his populace.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
OH. poo poo. (Future taped segment for Conan.)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just my option, but Colbert won't be a real late night talk show host until he has had a small zoo of animals crawling over him at his desk.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DivisionPost posted:

OH. poo poo. (Future taped segment for Conan.)

If that's really Triumph, how the hell did they get into a Ted Cruz rally? And :lol: at the reporter possibly not recognizing him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh Jesus Christ, that Carol bit on Conan :cripes: hahahaha

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

OVER 468,000 PUPPIES ARE FLUSHED DOWN THE TOILET EVERY YEAR

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That Netflix bit... I have exactly one Facebook friend who keeps posting memes about breakups. Take a guess what her name is.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It's been months and I still keep expecting Colbert to start bits with "Nation, ..."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Colbert's bit on Palin was great. The part where he channeled her word-salad speaking style was straight out of the Report.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's been months and I still keep expecting Colbert to start bits with "Nation, ..."
Give it time.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Was there a Hungry for Power Games segment this week?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

imo the palin segment was an avant-garde hungry for power games :colbert:

oh right, that emote is named colbert. durr, no pun intended

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

SyRauk posted:

Was there a Hungry for Power Games segment this week?
Pataki and Graham were last week.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I really hate looking at Steven Tyler

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahaha, Conan getting taken down by military attack dogs in Qatar is awesome :allears:

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

On AntennaTV, Johnny Carson is talking to Doc Severinsen about his homegrown tomatoes. I think they had no material on this night in the mid-80s. I'm watching because Comedian John Mendoza is on and I haven't thought about that guy in decades.

Lead guest is a guy who kayaked from Monterey, CA to Maui.

The commercials are for catheters and psychic hotlines, which are apparently still a thing.

And John Mendoza has a crazy mullet.

EDIT: Holy poo poo... RUMSFELD is on Colbert? How disappointing is this going to be?

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 26, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Steve Vader posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo... RUMSFELD is on Colbert? How disappointing is this going to be?

"If they were facts, it wouldn't be called intelligence."
- a thing this motherfucker actually just said

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Steve Vader posted:

i'm sure it will be/was bad. rumsfeld is a skilled politician and you aren't going to get him to say anything interesting in a 5-10 minute interview. at least, that's what i remember from seeing him interviewed by stewart/colbert in the latter years of GW Bush and the early years of Obama administrations. dude always answers questions in ways that are simultaneously (a) bullshit, and (b) phrased in a way that would get him eviscerated if he were being interviewed by (say) a british journalist, but which american interviewers don't have the knowledge or constitution to BS back at him

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

raditts posted:

"If they were facts, it wouldn't be called intelligence."
- a thing this motherfucker actually just said

Colbert's response of "I think I just got my answer" was perfect to that. I can't believe he said that.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

If it were a fact, it wouldn't be called intelligence.

And I liked the look on his face when the crowd and Colbert reacted to that, and you could tell he knew he stepped in it, but tried to blow past it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember Rumsfield on NPR a few years ago plugging his book about "taking responsibility for your actions." He was legitimately taken aback and offended that all they wanted to talk about was Iraq in relation to taking responsibility for his actions. I'll probably watch this episode just to see what sort of clusterfuck he's gotten himself into now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I wonder if Conan is going to do anything for Abe Vigoda tonight

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Colbert got Rumsfeld to gently caress up bad in 15 minutes when Errol loving Morris of all people couldn't do it in an entire documentary. That doc is good though. The Unknown Known, I think it's still on Netflix.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Laurence Fishburne on Colbert was great. The silly 1990s graphics on the screen for the "FISH BURN" segment were great.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Fishburne sold the poo poo out of those Fish Burns.

And this paleontologist has to be related to Val Kilmer somehow.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 27, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really want to like him, but the newer "Have John Baptiste mutter comments under his breath during the monologue" is really annoying.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Agreed they really need to turn off John's mic when Colbert's doing the monologue. Everything he says is either an agreement with what Colbert just said, repeating word for word what Colbert just said, "yeah" followed by laughter, or completely unintelligible. It's pretty distracting.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Y'all are no fun. I thought the general consensus was that they need to develop more interplay between Colbert and the band. Gotta start somewhere, folks.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I don't really like the band at all, so the less of them is the better IMO.
Not nearly as much as I dislike anything regarding Reggie Watts and his crazed hobo schtick on the following show though.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I saw Reggie Watts open for Conan when he was doing his live tour in the post-Tonight Show debacle, and I was amazed at how he kind of managed to deconstruct everything in the world in the span of a handful of minutes.

I don't know what he's doing with James Corden besides collecting a paycheck. The Watts weirdness can't possibly mesh well with the Corden earnestness.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Colbert's monologues are pretty boring as it is, so it's not like it's Batiste's fault of they fall flat. It doesn't help, but it's not like he's the problem with the show.

Also, Colbert is so loving awkward when discussing racial issues on the show. His Deray and Fishburne interviews were so drat weird.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ufarn posted:

Colbert's monologues are pretty boring as it is, so it's not like it's Batiste's fault of they fall flat. It doesn't help, but it's not like he's the problem with the show.

Also, Colbert is so loving awkward when discussing racial issues on the show. His Deray and Fishburne interviews were so drat weird.

"I don't see color. People tell me I'm white, and I believe them because I'm hosting the Late Show."

ufarn
May 30, 2009

raditts posted:

"I don't see color. People tell me I'm white, and I believe them because I'm hosting the Late Show."
His problem is that he always had the benefit of the doubt with the persona on the Colbert Report, but now his awkwardness about it just seems like we're seeing the actualy him being kinda clueless.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

speshl guy posted:

Agreed they really need to turn off John's mic when Colbert's doing the monologue. Everything he says is either an agreement with what Colbert just said, repeating word for word what Colbert just said, "yeah" followed by laughter, or completely unintelligible. It's pretty distracting.

I agree that it's not paying off as much as I hoped it would, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than Paul Shaffer just parroting the punchline of every joke. It's still early, I'm glad they're at least making an effort. Time will tell if it will improve at all, though. As it stands, I'm not quite ready to switch back to watching Kimmel every night yet, but I am starting to agree with some of ya'll that Colbert is becoming a bit by the numbers. At least Kimmel is nowhere near this formulaic night after night.

As far as Reggie Watts, I think the writers have actually done a pretty good job at naturally evolving him into a humorous counterpart to Corden's embarrassing, vapid, millennial-pandering. There have actually been some funny attempts at bits between the two of them, but they are generally ruined by Corden's over acting and over selling the joke. The 12 days of Christmas bit from last month is an example of one of the better attempts. Anyway, Reggie is naturally goofy and funny in a unique way, at least the show lets him be himself. Corden's show suffers from being bipolar, but I've actually come to enjoy watching it more than Seth Meyers, which is still just a constant stream of bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
This week has been pretty great for Conan, he's the only host working today that could book Carol Burnett and Eric Andre in the same show and pull it off because he genuinely wants to speak with both of them. It's awesome when his bookers really pull their weight.