Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Part of me really hopes they'll start adding Thunders, but that's not super likely. They did just spend a good part of their Monday Night Wars special making GBS threads on Thunder as a concept.

but but but but but how will i ever found out the resolution to that week's nitro???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I need as much hilariously bad wrestling as possible. New Blood Rising 2000 can only be watched so often.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Thunder was great because they'd be like "TONIGHT!!! Glacier and Jerry Flynn team up to take on Villlano V and Silver King!!!" Hardcore Hak, Norman Smiley and Bam Bam Bigelow have a 3 way dance for the Hardcore title! And in our main event, Van Hammer faces Perry Saturn!!! NEXT ON THUNDERRRRRRRRR" and you'd be like "My God, what is this?"

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Pretty much the same as Saturday night after nitro came around. And an epic battle that could decide the future of wcw as buff bagwell and big bubba take on Alex wright and Chaco Guerrero.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What's the Raw episode where Shawn cut his "lost my smile" promo?

werty420
Mar 20, 2007
That was on the Thursday Raw Thursday show. Sadly it isn't on the network. That episode along with 2 episodes of Friday night's main event are missing from 1997. I can see why they did not put the Friday night's main event shows up as they had a totally different name but the Thursday Raw is an odd omission. It also had Rock vs Triple H for the IC title and was the last Raw before the final four PPV.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Glamorama26 posted:

Thunder was great because they'd be like "TONIGHT!!! Glacier and Jerry Flynn team up to take on Villlano V and Silver King!!!" Hardcore Hak, Norman Smiley and Bam Bam Bigelow have a 3 way dance for the Hardcore title! And in our main event, Van Hammer faces Perry Saturn!!! NEXT ON THUNDERRRRRRRRR" and you'd be like "My God, what is this?"

Thunder mate.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Jesus Vince, if you knew Heenan was leaving you needed something better than 'Just throw a wrestler in every week to commentate with me'. We've had The Quebecers one episode and loving Crush the next.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Jesus Vince, if you knew Heenan was leaving you needed something better than 'Just throw a wrestler in every week to commentate with me'. We've had The Quebecers one episode and loving Crush the next.

Yeah Vince was clearly adrift without Bobby. I think Rob Bartlett was clearly the plan until he actually got on the air and everyone realized their horrible mistake. (And still he was there for ~3 months).

Almost as bad is replacing Mean Gene in the PPV hype segments with Todd Pettingil.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think a lot of that was just filling time and trying to find something that works until Jerry Lawler was back. Bobby left in late 93, in the middle of Lawler taking time off because of that rape allegation.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I watched the first Raw again last night. I had a version of it off the best of Raw Dvd but that had a bunch of stuff cut out for various reasons and some redubbed commentary. So this was the first time I actually heard the Tyson impersonation.

Holy poo poo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

I think a lot of that was just filling time and trying to find something that works until Jerry Lawler was back. Bobby left in late 93, in the middle of Lawler taking time off because of that rape allegation.

Even then it was a while before Lawler was on commentary full time, no? In '94 he's still doing the King's Court and such.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah Vince was clearly adrift without Bobby. I think Rob Bartlett was clearly the plan until he actually got on the air and everyone realized their horrible mistake. (And still he was there for ~3 months).

Almost as bad is replacing Mean Gene in the PPV hype segments with Todd Pettingil.

Johnny Polo replacing Heenan on All American for a few months was really fun. It's a shame stuff like that will probably never be on the network.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They're adding more 99 Nitros :getin:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Slick Ric literally ripping up $100 bills on the nitro after Starcade, one week before the finger poke of doom. It's the blue boxer promo, one of his best of the nitro era.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Just noticed last night that they have every Raw (excluding Thursday and Friday episodes) right up until the end of 2001, which is incredible. I'm still working my way through mid-98 but it's cool to know I can just keep going for another few years and catch up on all the stuff I missed between PPVs.

The shame about going through the 1998 stuff is having to sit through Brawl For All, which has me gripped out of curiosity. Also I think Dan Severn has lost a lot of mystique since seeing him cut that promo where he explained why he left the competition.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Jim Crocket Promotions shows are amazing. Squash matches and amazing promo's from everyone. More of this.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The NWA shows are must-see just for the promos alone. You know you got something special when Superstar Billy Graham is like the fifth-best talker on your roster.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Well we have a new challenger. I thought Crush was going to be the worst, but Vince had to do a show with Bastion Booger. Do you like 45 minutes of "You promised me food McMahon/You're fat" jokes, because have I got the show for you. In fact I'd be hesitant to call them jokes. This was in fact after we had an episode with Vince and JR, though hilariously someone has clearly told JR to smile on camera at all times and he looks so goofy doing it. Incredibly white teeth though.

The 'Should Macho Man be allowed on TV' line that turned into 'Should Lex be allowed in the Rumble?' line has now turned into 'Who do you think won the Rumble?' line. Pentingill is getting a lot of money out of gullible kids.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So is the WWE Network part of T-Mobile's Binge On now? It's not counting towards my data cap anymore.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

magnum_valentino posted:

Also I think Dan Severn has lost a lot of mystique since seeing him cut that promo where he explained why he left the competition.

Is it because of his stupid baby voice because that was what ruined it for me

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They added the episode of WCW Nitro that has absolutely no wrestling within the entire first hour

http://network.wwe.com/video/v539775383

If you need a reminder

http://www.wrestlecrap.com/inductions/induction-the-nitro-with-no-wrestling-60-minutes-of-absolute-nothingness/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like that the description calls it an "exciting episode of Nitro"

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

titties posted:

Is it because of his stupid baby voice because that was what ruined it for me

It is indeed

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

DrVenkman posted:

Do you like 45 minutes of "You promised me food McMahon/You're fat" jokes, because have I got the show for you. In fact I'd be hesitant to call them jokes.

I like fat shaming, so this is OK with me.

Of the early Raw's, I always found the current date news and entertainment references odd. Like the product was so bad they had to talk about random news tidbits to maintain attention.

Also, the best phone in option has to be the one asking wrestling fans whether OJ was guilty or innocent of murder.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Watching a pre-Summerslam show in 1998 last night I was amused by the Clinton impersonator being credited onscreen simply as "The President".

But by nothing else he actually said or that was said to him.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I like you can tell the moment in which Wahoo discovered he was dropping the National title to Nikita as the show when the match is announced he is an absolute dickhead to a jobber. He just stiffs the poo poo out of him, doesn't protect him on anything and acts more heelish than anyone on the card.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

magnum_valentino posted:

Watching a pre-Summerslam show in 1998 last night I was amused by the Clinton impersonator being credited onscreen simply as "The President".

But by nothing else he actually said or that was said to him.

Why the gently caress did they ever bother with pretending the President was in the audience? Did anyone ever fall for it?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Vince thought it was hilarious. Also I think the impersonator was friends with Todd Pettengill which is how he got the gig. He got used like 4 or 5 times over the years.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If you can stand to be with Todd, you should get some sort of perk.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

Vince thought it was hilarious. Also I think the impersonator was friends with Todd Pettengill which is how he got the gig. He got used like 4 or 5 times over the years.

He was even at Wrestlemania X!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Xerzes posted:

He was even at Wrestlemania X!

Which I just watched last night. When they had him stand up it's like ok, I'm sure that at a distance it'll be enough to fool some people. But then later Petingill interviews him and I could probably do a better Clinton impression. And I'm Welsh.

CoolCat posted:

I like fat shaming, so this is OK with me.

Of the early Raw's, I always found the current date news and entertainment references odd. Like the product was so bad they had to talk about random news tidbits to maintain attention.

Also, the best phone in option has to be the one asking wrestling fans whether OJ was guilty or innocent of murder.

Recent mentions are someone potentially taking over a coaching position in Baseball. And two lottery winners. It's this weird peppering in of like Vince just giving you the news when there's a lull in the match.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

It was Vinces way of creating the illusion the shows were live and not tapped weeks before.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MassRafTer posted:

I'm laughing at everyone who is starting Nitro now instead of joining us in the glory of January '99.

You run Nitros at times when I'm at the gym :mad:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

When does Terry Funk start hitting people with chickens, that's when Nitro gets good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

You run Nitros at times when I'm at the gym :mad:

I re-arrange my work schedule for Nitro, the least you can do is re-schedule your work outs.

Nitro demands sacrifices.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

I re-arrange my work schedule for Nitro, the least you can do is re-schedule your work outs.

Nitro demands sacrifices.

Yeah, like watching it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/JoeyStyles/status/690892605912121344

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Sweet. I always wanted to see all of ECW from start to finish. Although I guess "start," would be Douglas' big throwing down on the NWA belt which won't be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I want to watch a post attitude era royal rumble, what is one of the better ones?