Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

A Neurotic Jew posted:

- A dude who just wants to play arena commander starts to fill in some blanks and gets dog-piled. His resiliance is pretty admirable imo:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...t-play-the-game

reading further this guy is a $1200 backer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Maybe someone who actually programs can give me some insight into this:

Why isn't the number of players per instance like their top loving priority? That seems like something that will never be able to change once you release the game minus maybe some miracle optimization trick that could double that number some point way, way down the line. Each system you layer on top of it is only going to give the system more data to process and lower the effective number of people. It would seem to me that's something you build your entire game around - 'Okay, we want X number of people per instance and no less. Any system that interferes with that either needs to be optimized or trashed'.

EDIT: I mean I suppose it would depend on why more players are unfeasible? Like if number 17 joins and the whole engine has a little vomit, that's a bigger problem than, '16 is the magic number. After that it starts to chug a bit.'

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm a little rusty, ahem.

Ooooooo-ooooo-ooooooh
Some posters think they're always right
Others are vocal and uptight
Others they seem so very nice nice nice nice, oh
In fact they might feel sad and wrong, oh no

Twenty-nine different bug reports
Only seven they might check, oh ohh
Twenty non-functioning doors, oh ohh
Two seperate ship decks, oh ohh

Oh don't, don't, don't get up, I can't see the gameplay
I'll be waiting for PU, baby 'cause I'll pay
Sit me down, boot me up
This don't look good, I'm locked on startup

Ooooooo-ooooo-ooooooh
Oh, she don't notice what I got
Wonder what she'd think of that
One thousand bucks to lease a van, oh ohh
Better to not mention that, I know

Countless odd spaceships too
It doesn't matter which you choose, oh no
One stubborn way to fall to debt, oh ohh
Is lie and buy behind her back, oh ohh

Oh don't, don't, don't get up, I can't see the gameplay
I'll be waiting for PU, baby 'cause I'll pay
Sit me down, boot me up

Boot me up, boot me up up up up up

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Young Freud posted:

gently caress that, Idris Elba for Derek Smart.

Idris Elba for everything. tbh. Especially for James Bond — I loved that rumour. :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mendrian posted:

Why isn't the number of players per instance like their top loving priority? That seems like something that will never be able to change once you release the game minus maybe some miracle optimization trick that could double that number some point way, way down the line. Each system you layer on top of it is only going to give the system more data to process and lower the effective number of people. It would seem to me that's something you build your entire game around - 'Okay, we want X number of people per instance and no less. Any system that interferes with that either needs to be optimized or trashed'.

EDIT: I mean I suppose it would depend on why more players are unfeasible? Like if number 17 joins and the whole engine has a little vomit, that's a bigger problem than, '16 is the magic number. After that it starts to chug a bit.'

Because they are stupid and used an engine that was incapable of reliably having more than 16 people play at a time in one "instance"

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Google Butt posted:

I still can't wrap my head around how an adult person can care so much about a video game that they write that many real mad words

Probably anger redirection from the remorse they have from spending more than $50 on a stupid non-videogame that they know they should be annoyed at, but refuse to be because that would make them wrong and tarnish their e-bushido.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Google Butt posted:

I still can't wrap my head around how an adult person can care so much about a video game that they write that many real mad words

But he's not mad XD :confused:

XD

XD

XD

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mendrian posted:

Because the single player is their number one priority. They need to get a product out to get more people into the game, increase cash flow, and satiate the whales.

The baby pu is essentially another arena commander. A stop gap that will give the whales something to do for a year and feel as if the game is progressing in a meaningful way (while ignoring the bigger problems, like player count or multiple systems).

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
A loving FPS weapon breaks the game, I still can't even.....

I can't stop laughing about this for some reason, it's so loving weird/bad/wtf dev.

I mean come on.

edit : star citizen : don't touch that shotgun

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lime Tonics posted:

A loving FPS weapon breaks the game, I still can't even.....

I can't stop laughing about this for some reason, it's so loving weird/bad/wtf dev.

I mean come on.

edit : star citizen : don't touch that shotgun

And this is in a game engine specifically designed for FPS. Imagine how badly broken everything has to be for the engine-specific components to crash the game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Tokamak posted:

Because the single player is their number one priority. They need to get a product out to get more people into the game, increase cash flow, and satiate the whales.

The baby pu is essentially another arena commander. A stop gap that will give the whales something to do for a year and feel as if the game is progressing in a meaningful way (while ignoring the bigger problems, like player count or multiple systems).

Well yes, this is the obvious answer. "It's all a scam so everything is just lies and illusions" explains away every problem.

As a thought exercise I like to approach the SC issue as if these are people who actually intend to do what they say and maybe are just really bad at it. Yes, I've seen all the 'evidence' that it's a big scam but I'm just not completely sold on the idea. If these people suck as much as they appear to I have no confidence they'd be able to pull of a scam of this scale. I think it's far more likely that they've stumbled onto a lightening rod of funding and suddenly wanted to make all of their dreams come true, instead of making the little space game that CRoberts probably had in mind way back when. Believing no more compromises were required considering the size of the budget, they went off the deep end.

With that in mind, is it actually possible to scale up the player size of the PU at this point, or would be an actual/logical/functional impossibility given the limitations of Cryengine? Would they have to in fact start over again to get anywhere at this point?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Mendrian posted:

Well yes, this is the obvious answer. "It's all a scam so everything is just lies and illusions" explains away every problem.

As a thought exercise I like to approach the SC issue as if these are people who actually intend to do what they say and maybe are just really bad at it. Yes, I've seen all the 'evidence' that it's a big scam but I'm just not completely sold on the idea. If these people suck as much as they appear to I have no confidence they'd be able to pull of a scam of this scale. I think it's far more likely that they've stumbled onto a lightening rod of funding and suddenly wanted to make all of their dreams come true, instead of making the little space game that CRoberts probably had in mind way back when. Believing no more compromises were required considering the size of the budget, they went off the deep end.

With that in mind, is it actually possible to scale up the player size of the PU at this point, or would be an actual/logical/functional impossibility given the limitations of Cryengine? Would they have to in fact start over again to get anywhere at this point?

With the engine choice they made, I'm personally convinced that they'll never have anything even resembling a persistent MMO. Even if they get the player count to, say, 32, it's still going to be a lovely experience, not too dissimilar from people just running their own private servers anyway (a feature which is now delayed indefinitely). Once the funding dries up, people will be stone cold hosed, since they won't even be able to play offline. It's going to be 10 kinds of awesome.

To add to this, I also believe that despite the name-recognition of Chris Roberts that led to the funding exploding like it did, he really is the reason everything will fail. A responsible game developer could have probably found a way to get all these elements into a single game for this kind of money, but wouldn't care about poo poo like unskippable animations, everything being in the same loving engine without loading screens, and things like "you're not controlling the ship, you're controlling your man controlling the ship." With intelligent compromises, this went from a game that couldn't fail, to a game that can't avoid failing. And we can all thank Chris's staggering ineptitude for that.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 22, 2016

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters
took my kid to a comic shop the day the rift went on preorder. The clerk was telling us how awesome SC was and that it would be great on the rift, so now i have to go back because i want to know if he vomits.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Mendrian posted:

Given they tried and gave up within a day, I'd say it's not looking too great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Valkyrie looks loving cool from that stream.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

With the engine choice they made, I'm personally convinced that they'll never have anything even resembling a persistent MMO. Even if they get the player count to, say, 32, it's still going to be a lovely experience, not too dissimilar from people just running their own private servers anyway (a feature which is now delayed indefinitely). Once the funding dries up, people will be stone cold hosed, since they won't even be able to play offline. It's going to be 10 kinds of awesome.

so the exact thing they vilified e:d for

cool

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
"I don't understand why the same bugs have existed for this long"

"You don't know anything about software development"

Repeat, every thread.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

That Works posted:

Valkyrie looks loving cool from that stream.

yah an ex employee pre-ordered 10 rifts with valkyrie for a sim arcade his building

im hyped to play it in a full motion rig with 9 friends, what i have seen so far looks fun as heck

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Because they are stupid and used an engine that was incapable of reliably having more than 16 people play at a time in one "instance"

crysis 1 and crysis warhead multiplayer could both do 16v16 including vehicles without any problems

so lol whatever the gently caress CIG is doing

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

crysis 1 and crysis warhead multiplayer could both do 16v16 including vehicles without any problems

Ships are people, remember?

Lol if that's actually true.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm still convinced it is. Particularly how when you're piloting a ship you see your hand movements etc, but anyone on the ship with you sees a perfectly inert spaceman model staring straight ahead and not moving an inch. And today's video showing the guy's helmet sliding around while he moved the camera around. As the camera was rotating, the space helmet stayed in the center of the screen. That spaceman model is linked to your camera view, but apparently they forgot that you can put the camera in third person, so when this guy did, the helmet kept following him around. It's really spectacular.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm still convinced it is. Particularly how when you're piloting a ship you see your hand movements etc, but anyone on the ship with you sees a perfectly inert spaceman model staring straight ahead and not moving an inch. And today's video showing the guy's helmet sliding around while he moved the camera around. As the camera was rotating, the space helmet stayed in the center of the screen. That spaceman model is linked to your camera view, but apparently they forgot that you can put the camera in third person, so when this guy did, the helmet kept following him around. It's really spectacular.

these are totally normal bugs and this alpha is among the best i've ever played, you must not know anything about game development

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

this sort of thing is actually a perfectly reasonable shortcut for making spaceships work in a videogame, it's just funny because their marketing guys like lando are trying to push snake oil by claiming it's more complicated and "realistic" than that

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It has to be true, it would be ridiculous if that wasn't how it was handled. The funniest part is they're lying and saying that's not how it's handled and your joystick movement is actually mapped to your character's hands moving a virtual joystick.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Vehicles were veeeeeeeeery janky though. Honestly Cryengine is pretty irredeemable, it's one of the biggest bullet points about SC's failure. They would have been better off canning production once they saw how much money they were raking in and spending the time to make a proprietary engine. And as we all know, they wouldn't have lost any time anyway because all they loving did for the first year and a half was make ships and experiment with that illum test map. It was pretty clear that they weren't very far along with the actual "game" part of the game once people found out how to run that map with their flight systems.

That said, MW:LL's devs pulled a hail mary getting those mechs to work as well as they did in MP.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 22, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"you're not controlling a spaceship, you're controlling a pilot controlling a spaceship"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It has to be true, it would be ridiculous if that wasn't how it was handled. The funniest part is they're lying and saying that's not how it's handled and your joystick movement is actually mapped to your character's hands moving a joystick.

Exactly. By trying to hide a perfectly intelligent and normal thing to do in a video game, because they lied about it, they're making it infinitely worse. The code to maintain the illusion that they're not doing what they're doing is interfering with what they're doing. It's like setting your house on fire to hide the surprise party waiting inside.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Justin Tyme posted:

Vehicles were veeeeeeeeery janky though. Honestly Cryengine is pretty irredeemable, it's one of the biggest bullet points about SC's failure. They would have been better off canning production once they saw how much money they were raking in and spending the time to make a proprietary engine.

That said, MW:LL's devs pulled a hail mary getting those mechs to work as well as they did in MP.

What engine did they start with? They should have stuck to that one, honestly. Shittier graphics but good gameplay would have still made an excellent game.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ravane posted:

What engine did they start with? They should have stuck to that one, honestly. Shittier graphics but good gameplay would have still made an excellent game.

Cryengine, because Crobbers got Crytek to make him a tech demo to present for funding since they cut him a deal or something. He probably wanted to use it since it "looked the best" with no regards to playability, although that's probably not too relevant since the game's original scope was much, much more contained. I honestly believe he paid them some money to make something that looked how he wanted (with the articulated thrusters and poo poo) without really coding anything himself.

Once the stupid promises he couldn't keep starting rolling out as the millions came in, Cryengine became an increasingly stupid choice.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
"there are rumors that CIG has made a ton more progress than we actually can see"

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41tzs9/a_bit_concerned_after_finally_coming_back_as_an/

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Mirificus posted:

"there are rumors that CIG has made a ton more progress than we actually can see"

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/41tzs9/a_bit_concerned_after_finally_coming_back_as_an/

How can people seriously hold the two thoughts that SC has a huge amount of open development, far greater than any game before it, whilst also holding that huge swathes of progress are being hidden? I just don't get it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Not even close. The closest I came to back when I ran it through imaging tools, was the UNISA logo. But she never went there.

You zoomed, but did you enhance? Huh? Run that cutting edge algorithm?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Mirificus posted:

They hired "tons of staff" but that didn't stop development from grinding to a complete halt with a single programmer fell off his bike and broke his wrists.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mirificus posted:

opendevelopment.txt

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Justin Tyme posted:

Vehicles were veeeeeeeeery janky though. Honestly Cryengine is pretty irredeemable, it's one of the biggest bullet points about SC's failure. They would have been better off canning production once they saw how much money they were raking in and spending the time to make a proprietary engine. And as we all know, they wouldn't have lost any time anyway because all they loving did for the first year and a half was make ships and experiment with that illum test map. It was pretty clear that they weren't very far along with the actual "game" part of the game once people found out how to run that map with their flight systems.

Yeah I found MW:LL to be pretty badass but that's also a very limited server / map environment so no idea if it would scale at all.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Which of you did this?

I can't believe they bought it. And are excited about it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

They hired "tons of staff" but that didn't stop development from grinding to a complete halt with a single programmer fell off his bike and broke his wrists.

They hired “tons of staff” but it's a good thing that they're slimming down their development team and focusing on the core elements but they're obviously not laying staff off or cutting down on outsourcing but (etc. ad nauseam).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How can people seriously hold the two thoughts that SC has a huge amount of open development, far greater than any game before it, whilst also holding that huge swathes of progress are being hidden? I just don't get it.

Star Citizen backers are infamous for holding contradictory thoughts simultaneously. My favorite is that "you can't get refunds and don't expect anything special because the money you gave CIG is a donation and your ship is just a thank you gift", but also, "I paid a lot for this expensive ship so I want to make sure nobody else can get one with this kind of power without a lot of in-game grinding, if ever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Citizen backers are infamous for holding contradictory thoughts simultaneously. My favorite is that "you can't get refunds and don't expect anything special because the money you gave CIG is a donation and your ship is just a thank you gift", but also, "I paid a lot for this expensive ship so I want to make sure nobody else can get one with this kind of power without a lot of in-game grinding, if ever."

I don't understand how they can seriously call it a "donation" with a straight face given all CIG's language is "sale" "buy" etc and the fact you have to pay VAT on everything.

• Locked thread