Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, bricklink has a pretty good price history interface. Which isn't that big a deal, but they also mark how many sales actually completed and when you take that into account it's obvious making money off Lego is a massive chore. The community of buyers is actually painfully small.

I know I bring this set up a lot but I think it's a pretty good example:

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=10187-1&name=Volkswagen%20Beetle%20(VW%20Beetle)&category=%5BSculptures%5D#T=P

I own one of these, and the original price was $120 (which feels low to me, but that's what google turned up). Even without the box the sale price is four times that, but there's only five sales per year at that price.

Good loving luck liquidating a closet full of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Apollodorus posted:

So from watching last night's The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, I have learned that LEGO is a better investment than gold, with a 12% increase in value annually. But that's only for "pristine condition" sets, it seems:

http://time.com/money/4162059/lego-investment-compare-gold-return/

gently caress if I'm going to buy LEGO and not assemble it.

Apollodorus posted:

Oh I would never do that. It sounds like a total forfeiture of the experience to me.
oh you innocent, naive child :allears:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
One funny side effect of the massive price inflation some resellers are trying to push, I'm now seeing every once in a while ads being posted on Kijiji calling out resellers and providing alternate links to more affordable sources.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just learned the new Lego Marvel's Avengers has... a season pass :negative:
The Lego games were once a bastion of fun playtime for kids and man children alike. First they introduced voices, then they put in costume DLCs and now a Season pass? God dammit.

The trailer emphasizes New York city and open world so much, you'd think they forgot that Lego Marvel Super Heroes basically had all that already.

Plus insanely stupid flight controls for Iron man and other flying minifigs that made flight challenges super annoying. I hope they fixed those.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lego is sort of the beanie babies of 201x
I bet their collectability will wane over time .

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
What's really going to happen is the stuff that's actually kinda rare will retain some of its value but most of it will sit collecting dust as people refuse to admit that their investment isn't going to pay out.

Same as with comic books, other toys, coins and anything else 'collectable'.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nothing is sadder than that one guy at the flea market trying to sell his stack of mint in package Spawn comics and action figures he wasted thousands of dollars on in the first half of the 90s.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some day that Ninja Turtle comic I have stuffed in a box somewhere is going to pay for my retirement, I just know it!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My mint condition #1 Simpsons Comics Germany signed by Bill Morrison says hello....

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
LOL out of curiosity I googled that. Third link was to ebay and the third auction there has this gem of a title with a $100 opening big: Simpsons Comics INVESTMENT Lot of 70 comics Radioactive Man Bartman 1 ++

EDIT :siren:INVESTMENT:siren:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NESguerilla posted:

Lego is sort of the beanie babies of 201x
I bet their collectability will wane over time .
Not really

You can actually do something with legos, beanie babies are loving useless

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

LOL out of curiosity I googled that. Third link was to ebay and the third auction there has this gem of a title with a $100 opening big: Simpsons Comics INVESTMENT Lot of 70 comics Radioactive Man Bartman 1 ++

EDIT :siren:INVESTMENT:siren:

Luckily all I paid for it was 12 € whenever (early 2ks I guess)

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

xzzy posted:

Yeah, bricklink has a pretty good price history interface. Which isn't that big a deal, but they also mark how many sales actually completed and when you take that into account it's obvious making money off Lego is a massive chore. The community of buyers is actually painfully small.

I know I bring this set up a lot but I think it's a pretty good example:

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=10187-1&name=Volkswagen%20Beetle%20(VW%20Beetle)&category=%5BSculptures%5D#T=P

I own one of these, and the original price was $120 (which feels low to me, but that's what google turned up). Even without the box the sale price is four times that, but there's only five sales per year at that price.

Good loving luck liquidating a closet full of them.

I count at least 20+ sold on ebay in the past 2 months.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Speaking of investments, I heard someone say the newly retired Death Star is worth £500-ish sealed? Are they talking bollocks?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Some day that Ninja Turtle comic I have stuffed in a box somewhere is going to pay for my retirement, I just know it!

Well I mean, it depends on which one it is!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Well I mean, it depends on which one it is!

Not one of the rare ones, I guarantee that.

I haven't looked at it in years, but if I remember right there's a crease or a tear on the cover too. Which means it's basically kindling.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The small creator jet is awesome, so swooshable and it has tomcat style folding wings.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I just got the big blue Creator jet, super psyched to put it together over the weekend.

But I still really miss my old LEGOs. :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Speaking of investments, I heard someone say the newly retired Death Star is worth £500-ish sealed? Are they talking bollocks?

The super huge sets tend to go up in price because not many were made or sold, and they're often great centerpieces for a display if someone is buying to build it. It being out of production now is probably causing a temporary spike before it starts rising steadily.

The ucs b-wing is 200-300 after a couple years of being OOP, the ucs red 5 has like doubled in price already and it's only been OOP for what, half a year? And the death star is like, THE star wars thing, outside of the millenium falcon, star destroyer, tie fighter, and x wing, so it will of course go up. Same reason the ucs death star is like 800-1200 now.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Captain Invictus posted:

The super huge sets tend to go up in price because not many were made or sold, and they're often great centerpieces for a display if someone is buying to build it. It being out of production now is probably causing a temporary spike before it starts rising steadily.

The ucs b-wing is 200-300 after a couple years of being OOP, the ucs red 5 has like doubled in price already and it's only been OOP for what, half a year? And the death star is like, THE star wars thing, outside of the millenium falcon, star destroyer, tie fighter, and x wing, so it will of course go up. Same reason the ucs death star is like 800-1200 now.

Yeah, was just shocked to see it go up so quick! Will it rapidly drop in price if a NEW Death Star comes out? Or will there still be above-RRP demand for old sets? Basically I'm asking do I shift it now and make a couple hundred quid off it, or do I keep it and hope it goes up more?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That UCS B-Wing is also a special case since Lego sold a bunch at half off which depressed the price for a long time. And it was never a very beloved set.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Yeah, was just shocked to see it go up so quick! Will it rapidly drop in price if a NEW Death Star comes out? Or will there still be above-RRP demand for old sets? Basically I'm asking do I shift it now and make a couple hundred quid off it, or do I keep it and hope it goes up more?
If a new Death Star comes out that is way better than the old one, it could hurt the price of the original, yeah. I'd hold onto it, it's only been OOP for a little while, give it a year before moving it. If it skyrockets in a year, maybe hold onto it a little longer, but sell it within two tops.

Stuff like the UCS Red Five and such are why I tell people to grab Combiner Wars Transformers Devastator if they find him on sale/clearance. Devastator is among the most well-known transformers ever, alongside Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Soundwave, and the toy they made for him recently is so drat good, and so drat HUGE, that he's going to absolutely appreciate in value once he's out of production. Same thing happened with Metroplex, the biggest Transformer ever made, last year. He's over twice what he retailed for now. Similar situation with Legos, if there's a line of recognizable things, if you're going to invest in some, go for the most iconic set, or failing that, the biggest. UCS Tumbler is no doubt going to go up quite a bit, especially since it is also the only set that includes The Dark Knight Joker minifig.

Investing in Lego isn't necessarily difficult, but it does take a good, rational eye for what will appreciate in value.

Take the Exo-Suit, for example. It is the only set, still, that contains green-colored Classic Space minfigs. Now that it's OOP as well, that will cause it to go up in value alone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Not really

You can actually do something with legos, beanie babies are loving useless

I'm not actually comparing them to beanie babies, I just mean they are hot right now and the market is all over the place and it's bound to cool down sooner than later. I'm sure they will remain popular and certain sets will be worth a ton, but the reseller price gouging will go away to some degree.

The thing I don't get is that most sets are readily available for at least a year or two. Who are these people too lazy to buy the Red Five for 2 years, that also want it so bad they will play 2x the price for it a month after it goes out of stock/production?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There are a lot of people who do not follow Legos and find out about the sets long after they're out of production. A lot of said people probably have quite a lot of money to burn and want to relive their childhood/favorite franchise.

And I more meant just that because Legos have an actual use, that that gives them an extra reason to retain value, as opposed to beanie babies, which is literally nothing but speculation that caused their value, and so when people realized that, it collapsed completely overnight.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
All the LotR stuff came out during my dark age and now I want to get a lot it, which is unfortunate because it's often 20-30% more expensive. Also, it's a huge bummer there isn't more of it. No Witch King set? Really?

And yeah, LEGO aren't like collectible plates or anything (of which my grandparents have many). When you buy the LEGO Ferrari you aren't buying a model Ferrari, you're buying a bunch of bricks that can be anything and conveniently come with an instruction manual on how to build a Ferrari. Or something.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wait that Exo suit is already oop?!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 22, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

And I more meant just that because Legos have an actual use, that that gives them an extra reason to retain value, as opposed to beanie babies, which is literally nothing but speculation that caused their value, and so when people realized that, it collapsed completely overnight.

Yeah I don't mean they will become literally worthless like BB. they have always had a good resale value even when I was a kid. There's just a lot of stuff that is, or is at least perceived as more valuable than it should be at the moment.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Zodack posted:

And yeah, LEGO aren't like collectible plates or anything (of which my grandparents have many).

My wife bought a bunch in a garage sale a few years ago for some reason and they have been sitting in my garage. I pulled them out, and each one has hand written on the cardboard box the price they paid. "$16 in 1982". Going for 99 cents plus shipping now.

I pretty much always pick up any lego for 50% off that I see. I kick myself over some of the ones I passed on, I'm looking at you $35 lego 7785 Arkham Asylum that I didn't get more than one.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The thing about LEGO versus plates is that there's only one company that makes LEGO and I don't know how many that make collectible plates?

I mean don't get me wrong my grandparents have cool Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind plates all over their house, and it's a really neat grandparent-thing. Maybe if I ever have grandkids they'll be on some kind of inter-dimensional reality portal telling other cool kids about how their stupid idiot grandpa had a giant collection of plastic brick models.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Plates don't do anything. Lego are a toy, can be used to build things, and also used as a display piece you put on a shelf and never touch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The sucky part about of Lego is when Lego changes the color, I hate finding an old light grey brick and putting it next to the newer bluish grey.. it makes it look filthy. Which does have some uses for certain thematic effects, but I'm usually not doing that sort of build.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Zodack posted:

All the LotR stuff came out during my dark age and now I want to get a lot it, which is unfortunate because it's often 20-30% more expensive. Also, it's a huge bummer there isn't more of it. No Witch King set? Really?

And yeah, LEGO aren't like collectible plates or anything (of which my grandparents have many). When you buy the LEGO Ferrari you aren't buying a model Ferrari, you're buying a bunch of bricks that can be anything and conveniently come with an instruction manual on how to build a Ferrari. Or something.

There is a Witch King set from the hobbit but it probably isn't what you are hoping for, but it's cheap and has the only Galadriel so far as I know.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Dogen posted:

There is a Witch King set from the hobbit but it probably isn't what you are hoping for, but it's cheap and has the only Galadriel so far as I know.

Yeah, I've actually got both Galadriel and Elrond from that set on display. I really wanted an actual Witch King and Eowyn. Would have been a nice excuse to make a second Theoden, too, but I can understand why they kept him rare.

Really, Eowyn and a Witch King with a good helmet mold would have been great. I mean, they did the Mouth of Sauron and he's not even in the regular cut of the movie.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Plates don't do anything. Lego are a toy, can be used to build things, and also used as a display piece you put on a shelf and never touch.

actually even notes on the plates saying "do not use these as plates".

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Zodack posted:

Yeah, I've actually got both Galadriel and Elrond from that set on display. I really wanted an actual Witch King and Eowyn. Would have been a nice excuse to make a second Theoden, too, but I can understand why they kept him rare.

Really, Eowyn and a Witch King with a good helmet mold would have been great. I mean, they did the Mouth of Sauron and he's not even in the regular cut of the movie.

I have a bunch of LotR sets that I'm probably never going to open, if you've got any Star Wars sets for trade PM me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zodack posted:

I feel you man. I missed most of the Indiana Jones and Harry Potter stuff.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

By that logic, a Lego Mona Lisa is more valuable than the real Mona Lisa, and I completely agree. :colbert:

Zodack posted:

I have all the minifigs from the 79003 Hobit Hole set and I would be wiling to sell them cheap. I simply have no attachment to LotR or The Hobbit, I've never read the books or watched any of the movies.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Well if the market is that nuts that explains why I'm having trouble trying to price things sensibly that I want to get rid of. Though I suspect no one actually wants the Research Institute set or yet more random batman minifigs.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Does anyone have some tips for building a good, stable, easily removable roof? I'm working on a cabin right now and my roof falls apart just by looking at it. I'm trying layers of the 3x4 slopes, like the ones that come in the mountain hut and lakeside cabin, but the second layer won't come together and stay together. God forbid I try to attach the drat thing to the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Look up the instructions for 5766 and see how they did their roof. A super common technique Lego does these days is to put a layer of plates to smooth it out, leaving only one or two studs for the roof to stick to. This makes it super easy to install and remove.

They have some cross bracing in there too to firm it up.