Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AlphaKretin posted:

I played like half an hour of 8 waiting for my recent purchase of 13 to download (yes, that means PC 8. A good day for decisions all around :v:) before realising it would take too long and am I missing something or do people overstate how easy it is to just get Card and Card-RF? Abilities take like 50 AP to learn, it's not like 5, 9 or TA where you can use it while mastering it, and enemies give like 1 or 2 AP early game when I'm supposed to be avoiding encounters anyway.
IIRC if you aren't going for a perfect no experience ever run there's birds or something on the beach that give a decent amount of AP per and come in decent sized groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

The only thing about completely min-maxing your level is that you have to be <10(?) for the Grendels around Dollet to drop Dragon Fangs to do first-disc Lionheart.

Oh and if you're gonna do any drawing off bosses, iirc draw strength is based on your magic attack vs the target's magic resistance (or spirit or whatever the game loving calls it)

Levels below 20, actually. And they can still drop them between 20-29, it's just 20% chance rather than the 80% chance below level 20.

AlphaKretin posted:

I played like half an hour of 8 waiting for my recent purchase of 13 to download (yes, that means PC 8. A good day for decisions all around :v:) before realising it would take too long and am I missing something or do people overstate how easy it is to just get Card and Card-RF? Abilities take like 50 AP to learn, it's not like 5, 9 or TA where you can use it while mastering it, and enemies give like 1 or 2 AP early game when I'm supposed to be avoiding encounters anyway.

Most bosses give around 20 AP. You need 120 total for Card Mod, so if you only fight bosses and do Diablos/Brothers as soon as possible you'll probably get it around mid-late Disc 1.

I think Ifrit-Diablos-Gerogero-Brothers will get you 120, and that's not even taking into account the odd AP given by Biggs/Wedge, Elvoret, Granaldo/Raldos and if you decide to crush X-ATM092.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 22, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The After Years already showed everything was connected

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
A general newbie guide to ff8 or poo poo I wished I knew back when I first started:

1. Summons are bad. When I first played ff8 I just spammed summons because I didn't know how anything worked. This was really tedious because all of the summon animations take forever.
2. Junctioning a spell to a stat boosts the stat. How much it boosts it buy is affected by the number of that spell you own. So you want to get 100 of any spell you've got junctioned.
3. Limit breaks are incredibly powerful and incredibly abusable. Basically several factors interact to determine if you can get a limit break on any given turn. The easiest factor is being in yellow health. If you are in yellow health then you've got about a 10-20% chance to trigger limit break instead of fight when your turn comes up. Pro-tip, hitting triangle to cycle between party members gives another dice roll for this so you can pretty much do limit breaks on demand by just hitting triangle until it pops up. And yes, it still rerolls when the low health party member is the only one who can act.
4. Triple Triad is the path to victory. Card refine can save you a lot of time spent drawing nonsense or trying to farm rare things. Be sure to read a guide about rules spreading though because it can get out of hand and turn into a nightmare if you aren't careful.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AlphaKretin posted:

It's that slow to start, you just use Ifrit to learn Card and then grind 80 AP on the fish on the beach, who can give up to 3 per encounter if you're lucky.

Though the preferred method I think is Card -> grind T-Mag and Mid Mag-RF, then use Ifrit's default Str-J with Blizzara or something and Elem Atk-J with Thundara to cheese the spider robot and get as much AP as you need.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Barudak posted:

Do we count the people of the Grimoire as alive in FF Tactics? If so Marche is taking home the gold.

The people in FFTA's Ivalice are simply transformed people from the "Real World" town of St. Ivalice. :eng101:

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
Alternatively, you can ignore any advice about forcing a low-level run since it's completely pointless.

FF8 is already one of the easiest games in the series. Enemy scaling only fucks people who never bother to learn how to play the game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

2. Junctioning a spell to a stat boosts the stat. How much it boosts it buy is affected by the number of that spell you own. So you want to get 100 of any spell you've got junctioned.

there is literally no universe where i will waste my time grinding junctions, and if i need to do that to beat it, im never playing this game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tonberrykng posted:

FF8 is already one of the easiest games in the series. Enemy scaling only fucks people who never bother to learn how to play the game.

Except if you gain too many levels, high-tier enemies will gently caress you no matter how high your stats are. Red Dragons are the standout, and there are a couple points in the game where enc-none can't save you from forced encounters.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"need" is a very interesting word. You "need" to grab Setzer in a normal, non glitched run of FF6 to beat the game, or even to progress at all. You dont "need" to grind junctions in FF8 to progress.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Except if you gain too many levels, high-tier enemies will gently caress you no matter how high your stats are. Red Dragons are the standout, and there are a couple points in the game where enc-none can't save you from forced encounters.
Eh, not really. Ruby dragons can at most do a few thousand hp of damage to the party, which you should be able to keep up with if you're taking advantage of regen or Leviathan's recovery ability. It wouldn't surprise me if players forget to actually use magic though, since most want to horde it for junctioning. Like, I'm not sure many realize that meltdown breaks the second half of the game in half by virture of it reducing enemy defenses down to 0 and working on pretty much everything. Even with some of the higher tier enemies having tens of thousands of hp, cast meltdown on it and see how quickly hp-sponge types fall like chumps.

Enc-none does make the optional dungeon infinitely less tedious, however.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

FFX-2 question. How can I kill the Cactuars? Those things keep owning me on the Grand Cup: Hard finals and my cute flan can't use Flare. :(

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Barudak posted:

I always found this extremely inaccurate, is there a formula for this I'm missing?

I remember this trick from all the hours I wasted on FFVIII in middle school: Go to the beach outside of Balamb Garden and get into random encounters. It will always be Fastifalchion-Fs, and always (I think) in a group of 2, which means 6 AP per battle. Summon Quetzalcoatl once, which will do just enough damage to make them both pop out of the sand and become cardable with a high success rate, but not enough damage to risk accidentally killing them.

You can get 20 AP from the Ifrit boss battle, and then you just need to get 20 more from killing the Fastifalchions to unlock Card, which lets you just barely avoid leveling up, iirc. After that you can just abuse the Summon -> Card combo to unlock anything you want without ever gaining XP. You can grind Card Mod out pretty quickly and then just run away from battles until you get the lamp and fight Diablos. Then unlock Enc-None and you have everything you need to break the rest of the game over your knee without ever gaining a single level.

Honestly it is a little tedious, but it's 100% worth not having to deal with random encounters for the rest of the game, especially in areas like the desert prison or the sewers. And later on if you want to powerlevel you can just go to the Island Closest to Hell with Quistis at low health and instakill every enemy with Degenerator, which will get you to level 99 in like 5 minutes.

Christ I wish I didn't remember all of this so well.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm playing XIII and I got Kelger's Cup doing Cieth Stones on my first visit to Pulse. Am I overdoing it or right on track?

Why are the hunt achievements named after the Dawn Warriors anyway? Not complaining, FFV is awesome, but it's neither particularly relevant nor the only or most notable group of 4 people in the series by far.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The way kid me broke FF8 (aside converting tents to Curaga and have like 3000 HP as Lv 10 or whatever) was to refine a monster card that made Quistis learn Degenerator. It worked on every single non-boss enemy. Oh, Ruby Dragons? Degenerate. Garbage fliers? Degenerate. Soldiers? Degenerate. No discrimination here, just keep Quistis on her knees at all times (:quagmire:).

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 22, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Actually I might have overly rushed it because none of the stones in the Mahabara (gently caress your apostrophes) are active. That's gonna make post game clean up a pain.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You can get 20 AP from the Ifrit boss battle, and then you just need to get 20 more from killing the Fastifalchions to unlock Card, which lets you just barely avoid leveling up, iirc.

The other way to do this is to keep going until the Dollet mission. Equip all GFs on Seifer and kill off the rest of the party - any EXP gained on Seifer will be lost once he leaves, so you can level up your GFs while keeping your core party at starting levels.

This is especially helpful for Ifrit, as he needs to be level 10 to be able to learn Ammo Refine (which you can't get without gaining EXP for somebody at the same time).

Edit:

Barudak posted:

I always found this extremely inaccurate, is there a formula for this I'm missing?

You will usually gain EXP for any damage done to an enemy (even when running away or petrifying them before landing the killing blow), but carding enemies cancels this - a carded enemy always gains you 0 EXP, but full AP, so you can still level your GFs (except for those GF abilities with level requirements).

The most difficult part about carding is getting enemies health down far enough for a decent success rate, with the biggest issue being critical hits randomly murdering low-health mobs. The most important thing to know here is that Squall will never do critical hits on his own, but his gunblade trigger is a controllable 50% damage boost - so he can reduce enemy HP in a very safe way if you don't go overboard on his STR junctions.

fezball fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 22, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Just play FFVIII like a normal human being good lord

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FFXIV appears to be half price on Steam, for anyone looking for an excuse to jump in.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Help Im Alive posted:

That's how all of us olds played it back in the day and it's a lot more fun playing it that way. Yes, it's completely beatable at level 100, even if you don't have massive internet knowledge of how to do it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Ruby Dragons are really the only one that get threatening at high levels, and their worst attack is safer once you get VIT over 100. Malboros are always dangerous. T-Rexaurs are still crippled by every status except Silence.

Even then Ruby Dragons are never forced outside of the flashback one (which is capped below level 30). Most forced encounters down the road are pathetically easy (G-Soldiers). Only exception is Deep Sea Research Center.

Help Im Alive posted:

I've always done this and almost never mod rare cards. It's just more effort trying to make an already easy game easier.

Making the game harder actually makes it more fun considering how abusive some of the stuff in VIII is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How's final fantasy explorers

<----- guy who sunk 400ish hours into mh4u

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can someone please make the new thread title

"Final Fantasy Explorers is actually the worst game in the series"

Since no one likes it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

Can someone please make the new thread title

"Final Fantasy Explorers is actually the worst game in the series"

Since no one likes it

We don't know that no one likes. The only thing I've heard people say is 'Is this game any good, I've heard nothing about it.' and getting no answer

Maybe it doesn't really exist

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The most incorporeal game in the series

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Actually I might have overly rushed it because none of the stones in the Mahabara (gently caress your apostrophes) are active. That's gonna make post game clean up a pain.

Before progressing the game and having to fight the hardest enemy in the entire game in the next dungeon (phalanxes) you should make sure you complete enough quests to have the teleporting Cieth stones active and gotten the Chocobo mount. I believe this is missions 1-14. You'll want teleporters available as its the only back-tracking allowed in the game, and if you miss the games one and only sidequest in the game in Oerba its much, much better to not have to walk back there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Quick reminder that Dirge of Cerberus was never purged from our timeline.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Augus posted:

Quick reminder that Dirge of Cerberus was never purged from our timeline.

I mean, it's the farthest in the timeline so there's never been a reason to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reminder Dirge of Cerberus had Mouse and Keyboard controls.

Like sure, there are tons of other things I could point out that were garbage decisions like the invisible walls + jumping but the mouse and keyboard always sticks out to me in a game that is very, very obviously designed for 3rd person and auto-lock on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who the hell does Dirge of Cerberus even hurt? Besides giant babies who play it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tae posted:

I mean, it's the farthest in the timeline so there's never been a reason to.

I'm talking about the real world timeline. It still exists in our reality.

Baal posted:

Who the hell does Dirge of Cerberus even hurt? Besides giant babies who play it?

I dunno, probably more people than Explorers? :shrug:

Just saying it is probably worse, although the we might never know for sure because nobody will ever play Explorers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That makes it better than a game no one can say literally anything about

"It is a bad game that has lovely new characters and a garbage aiming and camera"

Is more than

"I dunno, no one seems to be talking about it."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Reminder Dirge of Cerberus had Mouse and Keyboard controls.

Like sure, there are tons of other things I could point out that were garbage decisions like the invisible walls + jumping but the mouse and keyboard always sticks out to me in a game that is very, very obviously designed for 3rd person and auto-lock on.

The thing to remember here:

In Japan, Dirge of Cerberus had different mechanics. A big part of this was that it had online multiplayer. The game was actually designed around the online multiplayer mechanics and the mouse/keyboard was part of that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The double-jump added that didn't actually add anything to the gameplay still gets to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

The double-jump added that didn't actually add anything to the gameplay still gets to me.

I love that thing. Nothing can take advantage of this, invisible walls are rife everywhere, platforming is entirely built around you not having this, have fun. Also I liked the completely naff upgrade system and the ammunition tracker and godawful melee and man I could just go on.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing to remember here:

In Japan, Dirge of Cerberus had different mechanics. A big part of this was that it had online multiplayer. The game was actually designed around the online multiplayer mechanics and the mouse/keyboard was part of that.

I get that, and never having played the Japanese Original I can't say how much/important/useful it was to those modes, but in single player given how levels are designed it just seems like raw futility to include that feature.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't Dirge of Cerberus the one with two sisters, one a scientist who dressed like a hooker with a eye patch, and her other sister who trapped in the body of a six year old?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rirse posted:

Wasn't Dirge of Cerberus the one with two sisters, one a scientist who dressed like a hooker with a eye patch, and her other sister who trapped in the body of a six year old?

Something like that. At least Hojo remained bug-gently caress crazy and, if I remember correctly, Vincent got even more pathetic than he was in FFVII in terms of his backstory with Lucrecia.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yah, that's the one. It also had stupid loving names like Rosso the Crimson and Azul the Cerulean

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
blue the blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jockstrap man that became a spider called Arachnero