Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

I mean it sounds like you basically answered the important question: can CryEngine ever really be scaled up to meet the requirements of their MMO idea? And the answer seems like, no, of course loving not, because it would require hardware and software engineering feats that even major companies don't like to make.

It can be scaled up but it is not a simple task at all. The real question the developers have to ask themselves is: can this thing currently handle our requirements? No? Then what will be actually smarter, to modify it, to switch to something else, or to start from zero?

Managing to poach some of the cryengine team to work for them helped a bit but, in the end, a lot more expertize is required because the cryengine team most likely doesn't have the people with the knowledge to handle MMO interaction requirements.

Like, originally, these fucktards were planning to transmit the physics data of each player so that every computer would be able to properly calculate acceleration, position, speed, etc. So instead of sending a message that says "ship A is moving at 250 m/s on direction x and accelerating at..." they wanted to send "thruster #1 on ship A has a net thrust of x in direction y, while thruster #2....". loving insane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Anybody posting with the assumption that they're bad at making Star Citizen the game is, I feel, missing the point - making that game is not their intention. Making enough progress (on stuff they mostly need for their Space Movie anyway) to keep the money coming for the actual projects that will pay off (they hope) in future and secure them a place back at the table. That seems to be the plan here, as none of the evidence or decision-making observed thus far support any other conclusion.

It's not a scam at all. It's just a gaggle of neck-beards being expertly fleeced to satisfy the Roberts' vanity project and vanity, in that order.

Not saying it's not delightfully dishonest though. And certainly not saying that it's not really - really - funny.

E: And who knows? Maybe if the game movie does really well and makes them a lot of money Chris has the nebulous intention of going back and paying somebody to sort out some sort of MMO thing eventually. There're lots of overseas companies who are great at that!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Star Citizen, by Nexon

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Good Spaceship design for space barbarians:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

mrking posted:

Pirate rape threads are more my speed honestly

Forgot about that. The RSI forums - the gift that keeps on giving.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Moogle posted:

Anybody posting with the assumption that they're bad at making Star Citizen the game is, I feel, missing the point - making that game is not their intention. Making enough progress (on stuff they mostly need for their Space Movie anyway) to keep the money coming for the actual projects that will pay off (they hope) in future and secure them a place back at the table. That seems to be the plan here, as none of the evidence or decision-making observed thus far support any other conclusion.

It's not a scam at all. It's just a gaggle of neck-beards being expertly fleeced to satisfy the Roberts' vanity project and vanity, in that order.

Not saying it's not delightfully dishonest though. And certainly not saying that it's not really - really - funny.

E: And who knows? Maybe if the game movie does really well and makes them a lot of money Chris has the nebulous intention of going back and paying somebody to sort out some sort of MMO thing eventually. There're lots of overseas companies who are great at that!

That's a scam. You're describing a scam. Making 'just enough' progress to keep making money for a product they never intend to deliver is a scam. I'm okay with thinking that CIG is mostly poo poo but I just don't see enough evidence that they're actively being dishonest yet. I really think CR is just this big delightful manchild that believes if he wishes hard enough all of these things will magically appear. He is a textbook example of what happens when you surround yourself with yesmen.

EDIT: My endgame prediction is that in a couple years CIG runs out of money and they sell the whole thing to a Korean MMO company.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

T.G. Xarbala posted:

this looks british, yes

The recipe is easily adapted to colonial cooking methods, simply add a cup of sugar and a stick of butter for each lentil.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

No way that's not a troll

...or is it? My troll detector is useless when it comes to Star Citizen

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

No way that's not a troll

...or is it? My troll detector is useless when it comes to Star Citizen

use the force you must

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mendrian posted:

That's a scam. You're describing a scam. Making 'just enough' progress to keep making money for a product they never intend to deliver is a scam. I'm okay with thinking that CIG is mostly poo poo but I just don't see enough evidence that they're actively being dishonest yet. I really think CR is just this big delightful manchild that believes if he wishes hard enough all of these things will magically appear. He is a textbook example of what happens when you surround yourself with yesmen.

Several game devs, that have known CR from since ever, have quite succinctly stated that: "He never knows if he really wants to make a game or a movie."

And I think that's the whole trick to all this. He genuinely believes, that if he makes a game all movie-style, with horribly outdated ideas of cutscenes and his verbal diharrea, that surely it will translate somehow into an incredibly IMMERSIVE game too! After all, he spent so much money! After all, he's coding all these physics and graphics himself! If it looks cool...how could it be a bad game?

I don't think he is intentionally scamming anyone. In fact, the person he is scamming the most is himself, kidding himself that he wants to make a game at all when what he really wants is any kind of way by which he gets back at being outcast from Hollywood and is willing to chuck over 100 million dollars into a massive dumpster fire over it lol. Really loving sad, if you think about it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mendrian posted:

EDIT: My endgame prediction is that in a couple years CIG runs out of money and they sell the whole thing to a Korean MMO company.

No sane company on this planet would touch this with a 10 foot pole. Not because of the insane expectations of backers, not because of their incredibly toxic community. Simply because whoever buys this poo poo is inherit a lot of development debt in terms of things promised and not kept and little to no new customers to be had after this shithow has been around for X years and a large amount of better games are readily available.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Hopper posted:

No sane company on this planet would touch this with a 10 foot pole. Not because of the insane expectations of backers, not because of their incredibly toxic community. Simply because whoever buys this poo poo is inherit a lot of development debt in terms of things promised and not kept and little to no new customers to be had after this shithow has been around for X years and a large amount of better games are readily available.

After about a year in Chris was offered ludicrous amounts of money by at least two global companies (We are talking $150 mill plus) Croberts turned them down . There isn't anyone knocking on the door any more. Any compnay would do a risk assessment and an Audit before taking on this cluster gently caress and I'm guessing they would run a mile based on those findings.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EightAce posted:

After about a year in Chris was offered ludicrous amounts of money by at least two global companies (We are talking $150 mill plus) Croberts turned them down . There isn't anyone knocking on the door any more. Any compnay would do a risk assessment and an Audit before taking on this cluster gently caress and I'm guessing they would run a mile based on those findings.

You cannot just type that without giving some sort of source. Was it Chris? If so then ahahhahaah you're a loving moron.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

CIG has more money than everyone thinks and will definitely see out 2016. SQ42 will not come out in its promised form but you will be getting between 3 - 9 missions that are embarrassingly basic. The real showpiece will be the shockingly bad cut scene nonsense showing shiny A lister's reading Chris appalling script .
There is some sort of rally being held by the Fuehrer in LA next week and the final plans will be put into place as to how they will drip feed the news that most of what has been promised is now to be dropped or pushed back indefinitely. Those not in the Cult will have seen this happening these past couple of weeks as I said it would. The odd Whale will kick off and that will be that .

I read this in Paul mooney voice from that Negrodamus skit and it was amazing.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

You cannot just type that without giving some sort of source. Was it Chris? If so then ahahhahaah you're a loving moron.

His source, along with other posters in this thread and Derek Smarts sources likely still work there, so we can't get confirmation on if it's true or not.

But seriously, it sounds more likely to happen than not considering how thing are going.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

EightAce posted:

and an Audit

I know a guy

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

trucutru posted:

It wasn't Chris that told me but its true. One company makes popular if buggy software that's not called 'doors' and was founded by a man called Bill Portals. The other company has made a fortune from the exact same sports games year in year out and they update the box art. Both outfits made noises to Chris and he dismissed them .

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hahaha croberts you are stupid as gently caress

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

EightAce posted:

It wasn't Chris that told me but its true. One company makes popular if buggy software that's not called 'doors' and was founded by a man called Bill Portals. The other company has made a fortune from the exact same sports games year in year out and they update the box art. Both outfits made noises to Chris and he dismissed them .
Why would two companies that have already had business with Chris want to see him again?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

SelenicMartian posted:

Why would two companies that have already had business with Chris want to see him again?

He made more money off of no game than most games make. If you can't see the appeal something is wrong.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

CrazyLoon posted:

Several game devs, that have known CR from since ever, have quite succinctly stated that: "He never knows if he really wants to make a game or a movie."

And I think that's the whole trick to all this. He genuinely believes, that if he makes a game all movie-style, with horribly outdated ideas of cutscenes and his verbal diharrea, that surely it will translate somehow into an incredibly IMMERSIVE game too! After all, he spent so much money! After all, he's coding all these physics and graphics himself! If it looks cool...how could it be a bad game?

I don't think he is intentionally scamming anyone. In fact, the person he is scamming the most is himself, kidding himself that he wants to make a game at all when what he really wants is any kind of way by which he gets back at being outcast from Hollywood and is willing to chuck over 100 million dollars into a massive dumpster fire over it lol. Really loving sad, if you think about it.

Yeah, this is what I was driving at. I don't think his intention is to scam anybody.

Also it's not like we're seeing the actions of one actor here; Chris doesn't seem to be interested in anything that isn't covered with ping pong balls or comes on a thousand pages of hardcopy, and the money is being extracted with a finesse that I find hard to attribute to anyone who needs you to know they formerly qualified as a little girl.

But who really knows. It's just speculation until this whole shebang winds up in court (it won't wind up in court, because courts don't prosecute for not providing users with a spacebourne rapecloset and the residual money will always be in another castle).

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Marching Powder posted:

He made more money off of no game than most games make. If you can't see the appeal something is wrong.

^ This

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marching Powder posted:

He's truly found a source of free money in space spergs that will throw cash at him for having a dream.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EightAce posted:

You're always posting stuff like this but you never say how you know it so I have no idea whether you're just making poo poo up.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Chalks posted:

You're always posting stuff like this but you never say how you know it so I have no idea whether you're just making poo poo up.

You can assume that if you like and I wouldn't blame you at all. Some of what I have said is already coming to pass and without sounding like a cop out , if I was to say on here that xxxx told me this or xxx told me that it wouldn't take long for people to figure stuff out and then you are looking at peoples jobs in jeopardy which is a big no no. I suggest that you just read what I post and then watch what happens , you will soon be able to tell if its bullshit or not.
Please remember that even among the dev staff there are some very unhappy campers and they cannot simply come on these forums and tell all.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Chalks posted:

time will tell. as an alternative i suggest you look to information from the most open game development ever.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

EightAce posted:

You can assume that if you like and I wouldn't blame you at all. Some of what I have said is already coming to pass and without sounding like a cop out , if I was to say on here that xxxx told me this or xxx told me that it wouldn't take long for people to figure stuff out and then you are looking at peoples jobs in jeopardy which is a big no no. I suggest that you just read what I post and then watch what happens , you will soon be able to tell if its bullshit or not.
Please remember that even among the dev staff there are some very unhappy campers and they cannot simply come on these forums and tell all.

I believe you EightAce

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EightAce posted:

TBH for me it's enough for you to say that you've got someone on the inside telling you stuff 'cause even that's not clear from your claims! I wouldn't expect you to out them, not to mention that it would ruin the fun for the rest of us. (It's Sandi isn't it?)

So, you got a prediction about something that's going to happen soon to prove your credibility? That last thing isn't really something that'll come to light any time soon. Not that I'm demanding this of you or anything, I more than believe there are unhappy people at CIG!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

EightAce posted:

I don't know why people do this? You have this super secret info that you can't share, but will give hints that only a retard can't figure out. Way to protect your 'source'.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Could somebody do the same but much better?

I am struggling to comprehend that they have hired a bunch of famous actors to wear mocap gear so they can digitally recreate a likeness of the real person. Mocap is a great tool for the kind of poo poo Andy Serkis does, but why would you give yourself that extra work when all you're doing is cloning them in CG. They could at least have done stuff like make Gary "boring nickname" Oldman a bitter war hero who is all replacement body parts (like they've said the game is going to have), but no it's just creepy uncanny valley Oldman doing a terrible speech while sounding like he badly needs to take a dump.

We have some posters here who know a bit about this kind of thing don't we. What sort of work is involved in taking mocap footage and turning it into something like the Oldman speech? How long is this going to take if they've got 10 hours of script?

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Gameplay
The max player count for Crusader has been returned to 16.
We gathered a ton of great data during the time it was increased, thanks to everyone who jumped into for testing!

loving clownshoes. They never said in the last patch notes that it was just temporary to test did they. So what happened was they figured out it doesn't work and have had to pretend that it was all planned like this. Can't wait to have exciting adventures in the 'verse with 15 other people. I'm the one with brain damage in the space news van because gun cameras aren't a thing in the future.

It is good they are spending time on important things like removing errant shotguns and tweaking ship balance rather than building the other 99 systems, countless ships and billion and one features Crobber has said the game will have.

Eonwe posted:

I made a Dr pepper cake and it owns

Try Guiness/stout chocolate cake. It's loving decadent.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 22, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Tokamak posted:

I don't know why people do this? You have this super secret info that you can't share, but will give hints that only a retard can't figure out. Way to protect your 'source'.

Ah. You gave info on the companies interested in getting some of that free hundreds of millions, why can't you give the name, position and home address of your source?!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

I am struggling to comprehend that they have hired a bunch of famous actors to wear mocap gear so they can digitally recreate a likeness of the real person. Mocap is a great tool for the kind of poo poo Andy Serkis does, but why would you give yourself that extra work when all you're doing is cloning them in CG. They could at least have done stuff like make Gary "boring nickname" Oldman a bitter war hero who is all replacement body parts (like they've said the game is going to have), but no it's just creepy uncanny valley Oldman doing a terrible speech while sounding like he badly needs to take a dump.

We have some posters here who know a bit about this kind of thing don't we. What sort of work is involved in taking mocap footage and turning it into something like the Oldman speech? How long is this going to take if they've got 10 hours of script?

I don't understand why the hell they needed to mocap the actual famous people at all. I see why they'd need to take those big stretched 360 photos of them and map their faces into the game, but why the gently caress do you need mocapped data of Gillian Anderson literally pointing? Are you expecting people to watch it and say "wow that's a Gillian Anderson point, I'd recognise it anywhere!".

Obviously you get random people who know how to do basic things like walk and point to do the actual mocap stuff then put the famous person's head + voice onto it. What the hell is the point of paying Garry loving Oldman to walk down a loving corridor? He's walking! Other people can do that! You don't need him for that!!!

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Who says its one source? Also if I sit here and read this just for the comedy then what sort of person would I be? Whats going on here is very very wrong. Joking aside there are a lot of jobs on the line in an industry that's really hard to break into and maintain. A lot of the sperg horde see the likes of Lando and Ben etc as the open face of CIG and they get comfort and Solace when one of these rear end clowns says x or y. The truth is lando and Ben are not game dev and neither are 99.9% of the backers so its like the blind leading the blind. The REAL key personnel are a different ball game and if you look outside of utterly un important Community mangers etc that have left and only focus on the likes of actual game developers that are leaving or that are posting their resume's up on Art station etc then you will get a much clearer picture as to the reality.
The fact that Chris could have done what he set out to do but has let greed blind him , the fact that ...lets face it ...mentally challenged people are being sold dreams for vast amounts of money to fund a Hollywood lifestyle for two people is not something I am just going sit and laugh at although I will do that as well . If there is solid info that i am aware of I will post it. I am not Derek smart and I don't have vast resources to throw at this , also my interest is nothing like as all consuming as some BUT if I know something and I can post it without causing problems for the sources then I will.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tokamak posted:

Yeah like Chris would be really cagey about when he told the evil publishers to gently caress off

I'm betting it took a nice long talk to convince him not to shout it out online

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EightAce posted:

Who says its one source? Also if I sit here and read this just for the comedy then what sort of person would I be? Whats going on here is very very wrong. Joking aside there are a lot of jobs on the line in an industry that's really hard to break into and maintain. A lot of the sperg horde see the likes of Lando and Ben etc as the open face of CIG and they get comfort and Solace when one of these rear end clowns says x or y. The truth is lando and Ben are not game dev and neither are 99.9% of the backers so its like the blind leading the blind. The REAL key personnel are a different ball game and if you look outside of utterly un important Community mangers etc that have left and only focus on the likes of actual game developers that are leaving or that are posting their resume's up on Art station etc then you will get a much clearer picture as to the reality.
The fact that Chris could have done what he set out to do but has let greed blind him , the fact that ...lets face it ...mentally challenged people are being sold dreams for vast amounts of money to fund a Hollywood lifestyle for two people is not something I am just going sit and laugh at although I will do that as well . If there is solid info that i am aware of I will post it. I am not Derek smart and I don't have vast resources to throw at this , also my interest is nothing like as all consuming as some BUT if I know something and I can post it without causing problems for the sources then I will.

I hope you're for real, this thread needs more moles.

Also it's ok you can tell us it's Sandi we already guessed it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

CIG has more money than everyone thinks and will definitely see out 2016. SQ42 will not come out in its promised form but you will be getting between 3 - 9 missions that are embarrassingly basic. The real showpiece will be the shockingly bad cut scene nonsense showing shiny A lister's reading Chris appalling script .
There is some sort of rally being held by the Fuehrer in LA next week and the final plans will be put into place as to how they will drip feed the news that most of what has been promised is now to be dropped or pushed back indefinitely. Those not in the Cult will have seen this happening these past couple of weeks as I said it would. The odd Whale will kick off and that will be that .

It will be interesting to see how the community grows even more toxic once reality comes knocking

Not much hope of them turning on CIG though, Ben's just gonna make some "yeah that will absolutely get done as soon as possible" poo poo like usual

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Man, I would murderate to have a good sitdown with MS Games. Ah, well.

Note: Making a patcher better than Star Citizen's is easy. Making one that works for Mac, PC, Linux - not that hard.

Making an auth setup that works right - surprisingly hard.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I people want to buy that game (Hard Reset) you can currently get it in this bundle for $3 along with some other games.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There are two questions I still can't find answers for:

1. Where the gently caress did all these people come from? How did they manage to hold on to tens of thousands of dollars of cash if they were willing to blow all of it on the vision of a man who quit the video game industry almost a decade prior after nearly driving his last project into the loving ground? What are their jobs? Tech yuppie slime? Is the collapse of this game going to cause a spike of jumpers from the Golden Gate Bridge? Are the big spenders just a visible minority and it's really a sea of <$100 backers? Or has the way this has been dragged out caused contributors to keep throwing money at it like morons?

2. Why Star Citizen? What is so compelling about a universe this lackluster that drew so loving many people and so much money to it? Even if it promises the ability to do goddamn anything in it, like Star Wars Galaxies if it had been run by a competent studio, at the end of the day your fantasy life is in a generic "gritty" space opera universe with lame aliens and few if any mysteries to explore or discover. The way people treat this thing, you'd think Cloud Industry Games was working on a functioning holodeck! Is it Chris Roberts, "The man who made Wing Commander"? Is it the idea that they're "sticking it to the big studios and making the BDSSE"? Are so many people that goddamn desperate to pretend they live in space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

EightAce posted:

Keep posting, I know I appreciate it!

• Locked thread