Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Happy Sisyphus posted:

There's a snowstorm coming to my area and the power is bound to be out for a while, what should I do to simulate shitposting in this thread during the blizzard?

Do some bad Stimpire sketches and post them when power returns

Or print the entire thread and take notes when reading it, post said notes here when finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Major toms videos have the best commenters defending this shitshow, observe.

Thanks for your vids major tom.

I love them all, all of them

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Do some bad Stimpire sketches and post them when power returns

Or print the entire thread and take notes when reading it, post said notes here when finished

speaking of that whatever happened to that poor sap who offered to read the whole thread and post nightly updates in return for an avatar? He sold his soul cheap, but I still want it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Someone has been murdered near my house, like at the side of my house near my garden, it's all very odd

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Is there a stimpire wiki somewhere? I don't want to make an RSI forums account just to read that thread

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

peter gabriel posted:

Someone has been murdered near my house, like at the side of my house near my garden, it's all very odd

stay safe pgabz if you get murdered this thread is history and the citizens win

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

EightAce posted:

It wasn't Chris that told me but its true. One company makes popular if buggy software that's not called 'doors' and was founded by a man called Bill Portals. The other company has made a fortune from the exact same sports games year in year out and they update the box art. Both outfits made noises to Chris and he dismissed them .

cause if he stole their money they would destroy him... backers via kickstarter are simply easier to fleece

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Can anyone tell me if you backed the project do you have a game you can play right now? And if you do have a game you can play, what is the gameplay exactly? Everyone talks about how the game a buggy mess but I have yet to see a video of a backer playing the game. This whole project confuses me.

Like, when you buy a spaceship do you get a 3D model of it, and that's it? Like I know it's suppose to be a FPS/MMO/Whatever but do any of those things have a game that someone could right now play with other people?

Or is this an example of gamers caring more about 3D models and thinking the game has to be good because of the graphics?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao...I had to hit the 3rd paragraph before I realized the mastery of your work. Or maybe you are working for CIG now and that was real.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Happy Sisyphus posted:

stay safe pgabz if you get murdered this thread is history and the citizens win

The press have been phoning and stuff, I have no clue wtf is happening really, I was asleep all day having a lazy day.
They are searching for something now

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

When are they going to upload their most recent video of this to youtube? I want to link you all to the part where I made the fattie in the upper left so mad with a couple of comments that he actually screamed into the mike while furiously trying to hit the ban button.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

alphabettitouretti posted:

How the bloody gently caress are they making $70k a day. Who is giving them that sort of money on a daily basis.

When it all falls apart we're going to find out those figures are total horseshit. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity".

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

peter gabriel posted:

Did u kill a man

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AP posted:

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity".

I've witnessed stupidity in all its many forms thanks to Star Citizen but I don't want to believe that there enough dumb people out there still willing to fund CIG to the tune of $70k a day.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's been said before but this is actually one of the few GOOD design decisions they've made. Reusing assets makes the process faster, cheaper and keeps the design continuity you'd expect, since it's the same company making both shits in lore.

My Infiniti has a ton of Nissan 370Z parts in it, my old Chevelle was a mishmash of GTO, Malibu and Nova parts. It's just part of making good business decisions in the design/engineering process

My Focus ST is made out of parts from pretty much the entire Ford range. This just makes it better.

I'm okay with them reusing parts as long as the ships are distinct - which they are, you're not going to confuse a Retaliator and a Vanguard any time soon - and it results in enhanced unity of design like maybe not redesigning the cockpit EVERY drat TIME.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

TubeStank posted:

Did u kill a man

Put a gun against his head?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nude posted:

Can anyone tell me if you backed the project do you have a game you can play right now? And if you do have a game you can play, what is the gameplay exactly? Everyone talks about how the game a buggy mess but I have yet to see a video of a backer playing the game. This whole project confuses me.

Like, when you buy a spaceship do you get a 3D model of it, and that's it? Like I know it's suppose to be a FPS/MMO/Whatever but do any of those things have a game that someone could right now play with other people?

Or is this an example of gamers caring more about 3D models and thinking the game has to be good because of the graphics?

There's one system that you can fly a few ships in with like three missions and some FPS mechanics. There's no persistence, a 16 player cap and everything's grey.

Also if you see a shotgun in the asteroid belt the game crashes

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I've witnessed stupidity in all its many forms thanks to Star Citizen but I don't want to believe that there enough dumb people out there still willing to fund CIG to the tune of $70k a day.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/25/7888125/dayz-total-game-sales-3-million

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

The press have been phoning and stuff, I have no clue wtf is happening really, I was asleep all day having a lazy day.
They are searching for something now

You should just say you think they were probably killed by a Star Citizen fan because they're pretty crazy and would do a thing like that.

Also don't get killed peter that would be a sad day for this thread.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

Put a gun against his head?

Pulled my trigger now he's dead?

Momma?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sandi is trying to silence the online bullies, but missed her mark.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

MeLKoR posted:

The Ugly: he loathes Derek Smart and at this point I think that plays as much a part in his current stance as does his love of The Vision.

CIG creating a 'villain' only opened the wallets wider it seems...

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Hav posted:

Pulled my trigger now he's dead?

Momma?

Life had just begun!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

it makes me sad that the stimpire guy hasn't been very active recently.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It's only 70 people giving them 1k each… once you scale it down to the individual level and remember that the individuals in question are Citizens, it makes a frightening amount of sense.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

peter gabriel posted:

Oh, dude. I feel for you. A rapper was murdered opposite my work, and it made things weird for weeks.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

spacetoaster posted:

When are they going to upload their most recent video of this to youtube? I want to link you all to the part where I made the fattie in the upper left so mad with a couple of comments that he actually screamed into the mike while furiously trying to hit the ban button.

That twink in the top left is in for the night of his life,

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TubeStank posted:

Did u kill a man

Just to watch him die

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce...

*Citizens scream, pissing themselves with excitement*

THE SHEEPLES

*everyone faints, piss evreywhere, in nostrils, everywhere*

"Can't buy me looooove"

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i will provide you with an alibi if necessary pgabz you only have to ask

:pgabz:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lack of Gravitas posted:

i will provide you with an alibi if necessary pgabz you only have to ask

:pgabz:

If I say I was in the 'Universe do you think that will do?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's been said before but this is actually one of the few GOOD design decisions they've made. Reusing assets makes the process faster, cheaper and keeps the design continuity you'd expect, since it's the same company making both shits in lore.

My Infiniti has a ton of Nissan 370Z parts in it, my old Chevelle was a mishmash of GTO, Malibu and Nova parts. It's just part of making good business decisions in the design/engineering process

I have to agree. The design has a similar elements but that doesn't make it a bad design, it just means it has a common ancestory.

It's like Homeworld, which most of us will agree is a better-designed game. The Kushan ships all have a common design elements for each of their ship classes, since a lot of their technology is built of iterations of that common design. Take the frigates for example, all of them use a standardized hull design with a flying bridge and a big 'ol engine at the end but are configured to fulfill their role: the Support Frigate has it's landing bays and repair beam antenna, the Assault Frigate has a bunch of guns and launchers, the Ion Beam Frigate is strips flush of the Assault Frigates guns and put a giant fuckoff gun in that runs along the length of the hull; and the Drone Frigate has a bunch of drone launchers on the top side and a giant radome at it's bow. You can tell they're the same family tree but each has it's own distinct silhouette.

My biggest issue with those designs isn't that they share parts, it's that they look better if they had no swing wings or wings at all. The Vanguard has a more interesting silhouette with it's wings folded than it does with it's wings extended. The Retaliator, if it needed wings, would be better off with YF-23 or F-22 trapezoid/diamond wings than the complexity of the swing wings from a B-1 or a F-14 Tomcat.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

He could start a Stimpire thread

In like A/T or D&D

Not sure I'd read it

Just post the Stimpire is literally the USA for d&d stardom

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nude posted:

Can anyone tell me if you backed the project do you have a game you can play right now?

I'm distracted with a bunch of finished games, but I converted my account to PTU, and managed to patch up the client, but right now I'm facing a bit of a climb with setting up the HOTAS.

Trouble is that I've been into the hanger a couple of times before this, and that effectively killed any enthusiasm for actually playing what they have. You clump around like your boots owe you money, there's a headbob that is entirely sickening and you have to hit a button to 'use' things in the correct location. I kinda assumed that I could just walk into my ship, but no, I have to wait for an animation. Trying to climb the ladder gets you stuck in the geometry. Even better, trackIR would clip you out of the back of your own head with z-translation, so I believe it's currently patched out.

One of my distractions is Evochron Legacy, a one-person indie space shooter. The latest iteration involves a flight model that is close to Elite's, but tends to promote the inertial system as part of the flight model. The very long and involved tutorial (voiced/interactive) leads into making offset approaches past the target and rotating the guns to fire. The 'spaceplane' controls under damped flight are specifically called out for overturning - you can rotate faster than you can change vector with thrusters, so you have to maintain actual speed or you become a slow target.

Weirdly, I think it's giving me decent pointers on flying in Elite, too, but they tend to make the 'blue zone' a specific thing for efficient turns.

The game itself is a sandbox in terms that there are activities (missions, trading, mining, etc), but there's no plot or story.

Here's a brief list of the capabilities ingame, though;

* seamless planetary landings
* player built structures - stations and deployables
* different ships
* four opposing factions
* 'multicrew' - multiplayer allows you to invite another player onboard to man a turret
* multiplayer
* TrackIR and HOTAS support

The most hilarious thing is that it clocks in at under a Gb download. Downsides are that it's fugly.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 22, 2016

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

If I say I was in the 'Universe do you think that will do?

maybe but usually you are stealing other peoples ships and i'm not sure buti think piracy is probably also frowned upon by HMG

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lack of Gravitas posted:

maybe but usually you are stealing other peoples ships and i'm not sure buti think piracy is probably also frowned upon by HMG

OK I will go into hiding or something later on

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce...

*Citizens scream, pissing themselves with excitement*

THE SHEEPLES

*everyone faints, piss evreywhere, in nostrils, everywhere*

"Can't buy me looooove"

It was almost perfect, until you included the “'t” bit on the last line. Soooo close.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Dayz is a monstrous piece of poo poo but thats normal for survival games. Also afaik it doesn't have any 15k DLC or promise the mentally ill a replacement life in the zombie apocalypse. Fart shitizen really is in a league of it's own for this stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:argh:

• Locked thread