Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Kind of a brilliant, subtle satire of Criminal Minds and its ilk. There's a good character-based reason for the word replacement, but it also underlines how absurd our fascination with serial murder is.

Also, LOVED hearing the "Ding!" once again when we saw Brian at his Headquarters!

Kind of funny that after the episode ended but before the credits there was an ad for this week's Criminal Minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Honestly when I read the description I kinda wished it was a Criminal Minds crossover, but this worked so much better.

Not that I would have minded seeing that cast operate under the language substitutions we got in this episode.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

raditts posted:

Yeah, but look at how Community ended up. You shouldn't wish that on anybody.

Counterpoint: Psych had 8 solid good seasons

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

Yeah, but look at how Community ended up. You shouldn't wish that on anybody.

Why shouldn't I? If this show's going to decline the way most shows do, I'd rather it decline by going up its own rear end and reminding defiantly itself the whole way through instead of settle into mediocrity like Castle.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
This show is so good and fun it feels out of place on CBS.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So what's a unicorn, then?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

odiv posted:

So what's a unicorn, then?

I know the victims were cuddled with their own unicorn. "hug” = rape, “cuddle” = strangle, “sodapop” = blood, and “cool dinosaur toys” = fingers. Unicorn has to be something these women possess, but something that the killer may also possess. Since it's strangulation, I was thinking hands maybe?

Like maybe he forced the victims to strangle themselves? I don't really know, haha.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, Boyle was cut off before he could say it at the very beginning.

Was thinking bedsheets, clothing, phone cord, something like that.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

odiv posted:

Yeah, Boyle was cut off before he could say it at the very beginning.

Was thinking bedsheets, clothing, phone cord, something like that.

Hair?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ravane posted:

I know the victims were cuddled with their own unicorn. "hug” = rape, “cuddle” = strangle, “sodapop” = blood, and “cool dinosaur toys” = fingers. Unicorn has to be something these women possess, but something that the killer may also possess. Since it's strangulation, I was thinking hands maybe?

Like maybe he forced the victims to strangle themselves? I don't really know, haha.

"Hug" was "murder."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is what was annoying, it could of been anything. Very boring episode. Grown man on smart pills cant handle people talking about murder while working with the FBI to solve crimes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Ravane posted:

I was thinking it was intestines.

I mean it's something weird and gross, she was stabbed 40 times, probably some of that was hanging out by that time.

But that whole gimmick was just amazing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guys a unicorn is a dildo/vibrator.

Come onnnnn.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Feenix posted:

Guys a unicorn is a dildo/vibrator.

Come onnnnn.

If hugs was murder, then this makes a great deal of sense.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
'playing cowboys and indians' was rape btw. Hug was kill/murder depending on the context.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

This is what was annoying, it could of been anything. Very boring episode. Grown man on smart pills cant handle people talking about murder while working with the FBI to solve crimes.

I didn't like it but it made sense in the context of the story though.

Like the guy with perfect recall and the ability to make connections and see patterns everywhere probably isn't going to want to think too hard about a brutal rape and murder.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Tenzarin posted:

The way I understood it is that NZT Brian can handle gore, he handled a guy being shot right next to him. NZT Brian is immune to violence and gore.

Normal Brian is not. Normal Brian is the one who first came onto the crime scene and saw and felt disgusted by that violent display. I work in the medical field, it doesn't bother me much, but I can see how it would bother normal people. So brian walks in and tries to forget it with some difficulty, after popping a pill, NZT Brian just censors everything for normal Brian so he doesn't suffer from nightmares when the pill wears off.

Seems reasonable.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

So I'm trying to think how #10 is illegal. Is it considered sexual harassment if you send someone a dildo in the mail without them being cool with it? Cause that makes sense to me but I'd be surprised if there was an actual law on the books about it. Can any lawyer goons educate me here?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

13 is kosher, court case recently ruled Happy Birthday to be in the public domain

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Typo in the last one, FOR SHAME

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DarklyDreaming posted:

So I'm trying to think how #10 is illegal. Is it considered sexual harassment if you send someone a dildo in the mail without them being cool with it? Cause that makes sense to me but I'd be surprised if there was an actual law on the books about it. Can any lawyer goons educate me here?

It's a joke.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

raditts posted:

It's a joke.

I know it's a joke, but if I can also learn something new about the American legal system that would be alright

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Some sex toys are illegal in certain states.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Maybe a reference to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsANAd1GY2E

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My wife thinks that unicorn would be panties or bra as that would be a decent metaphor for Brian's view of them.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Why is it old today fuuuuuuuuck

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
The way CBS is scheduling this show is borderline criminal.

11/24, 12/15, 1/5, 1/19, next episode 2/9

Just take a 3 month break and get it out of the way. 2-3 weeks between episodes is a real easy way to lose an audience.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Finch said loving "N-Zed-T" at one point. :lol: Guess his actor's Canadian.

Or does he always said it like that?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

XboxPants posted:

Finch said loving "N-Zed-T" at one point. :lol: Guess his actor's Canadian.

Or does he always said it like that?

He was making fun of Sands who says it like that because he's British.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

muscles like this? posted:

He was making fun of Sands who says it like that because he's British.

Huh, strangely I never noticed that.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Just take a 3 month break and get it out of the way. 2-3 weeks between episodes is a real easy way to lose an audience.

Sweeps man, sweeps.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Now you know how Person of Interest fans feel. :emo:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Doing this poo poo to modern family as well :/.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I've binged through this series during the last week, and I'm really loving it so far.
The first episode was kind of weak, especially when re-treading stories similar to some of the movie, but it has been fun and interesting since.

I know that the basic format is not something knew... but at least it feels like it's well implemented in this iteration. It also has some strong early-Chuck vibe going for it, which is good in my book.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Holyshoot posted:

Doing this poo poo to modern family as well :/.

It's less painful with sitcoms. Their basic plots don't change too much, but with a drama you can lose momentum and forget/stop caring about what is going on.

Don't get me wrong, though. I miss new eps of Modern Family, too.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

hangedman1984 posted:

13 is kosher, court case recently ruled Happy Birthday to be in the public domain

A thing I've noticed in the improv podcast Spontaneanation, hosted by Paul F. Tompkins, is that he basically went out of his way to sing half of happy birthday a few times when that passed (I think it was lyrics but not quite the same melody, or vice versa), and since the copyright's been outright voided he's worked it into most, if not all, of the recent episodes. I kind of get the feeling that he got stung by that copyright once in some way, even if it was as minor as not being able to use it sensibly in an improv situation, and just relishes being able to sing it now. Or maybe he just thought it was a goofy situation, who knows. All I know is it's fun and I want happy birthday in every episode from now on.

Oh and yeah, Limitless is still a drat fine show, drat fine!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Just watched American Sniper today and there were some scenes with Jake McDorman and Bradley Cooper. Pretty cool recognizing actors in other stuff together.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The AV Club did a good interview with Craig Sweeny about adapting the movie property to a TV show.

http://www.avclub.com/article/how-do-you-turn-suspense-thriller-one-tvs-most-pla-231258

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tortolia posted:

The AV Club did a good interview with Craig Sweeny about adapting the movie property to a TV show.

http://www.avclub.com/article/how-do-you-turn-suspense-thriller-one-tvs-most-pla-231258

Interesting bit from there is that he states that he wants each season to be it's own "thing." So this season is Brian vs Eddie Morra and in season 2 that whole dynamic is planned to be very different (without getting rid of Eddie because c'mon, you get Bradley Cooper on your show you keep him.)

• Locked thread