Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Here, look at this:

Looks like everything's on schedule!

Can I still buy awesome space planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Inverness posted:

I played Evochron Mercenary for a bit. My problem with it was the same as with Elite: a shallow game experience.

I suppose that's why I want something like Star Citizen to actually happen. The concept offers more depth.

Though at this point there is little hope of that concept actually coming to fruition with Star Citizen.

In what way is the SC experience "deeper". Assuming we get the game it seems like the same game loop as all the others

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Khanstant posted:

Oh come on, who the gently caress wants to be on a spaceship with two dozen people? Who is even going to get that many people together to agree to man the windshield wipers for an hour?

In their fantasy world the only people with space ships will be the people who bought in early. All the other plebs are going to have to work for them at slave wages for 100s if not 1000s of hours before they can afford a ship of their own. Since this will be the best drat space sim ever, and the last game anyone will ever want to play, the corporate elite of star citizen will have no shortage of workers to man their windshield wipers.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Elite is a mile wide and an inch deep :smug:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm sure the RTV this week will alleviate all of our concerns in regards to the future of this project.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Have these people who want 25 people on a ship never done a raid in an MMO?
They are in for a shock

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm sure the RTV this week will alleviate all of our concerns in regards to future of this project.

They better give me more info about clothing because that is a potential comedy goldmine

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

They are in for a shock

Hopefully Leroy is around.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

hhhat posted:

Can I still buy awesome space planes

Yeah, but you can't play with them.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

MOO was my favorite game
So I know exactly how to play this one

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

fuzzknot posted:

Yeah, but you can't play with them.

so like when I buy Star Wars planes

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Rhubarb94 posted:

I think they've already gone full blown pay2win. Look at the limited ship sales, they have money thrown at them by slavering buyers every time and they can add more of the "limited stock"at any time by changing some numbers on a spreadsheet.

They may be wearing clownshoes on the space flight/game front but they'll never get tired of cashflow and would be stupid if they did.

It will all depend on what happens after the game is out. If they keep their promise from early on during the campaign then all pledge ships will be kind of meh. If not - well screw them.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

They are in for a shock

To be fair usually you don't get to RP as a stewardess in an MMO raid.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chalks posted:

To be fair usually you don't get to RP as a stewardess in an MMO raid.

I'm the guy changing the in-flight movie.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

They are in for a shock

Dunno, 25 people on a ship plus the graffiti system that was proposed a few pages ago should make for some harmless fun.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Holy oops police are here

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhubarb94 posted:

I think they've already gone full blown pay2win. Look at the limited ship sales, they have money thrown at them by slavering buyers every time and they can add more of the "limited stock"at any time by changing some numbers on a spreadsheet.

They may be wearing clownshoes on the space flight/game front but they'll never get tired of cashflow and would be stupid if they did.

um it costs them money to change numbers on a spreadsheet. thats why they have to add a charge for it

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Elite is a mile wide and an inch deep :smug:

Better than 5mm in every direction and with random rounding errors that make it confuse mm for µm every now and then…

peter gabriel posted:

They are in for a shock

Again, everything points to them simply not playing games all that much. So the answer is probably no.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

They are in for a shock

Exactly. The thresh-hold for enjoyable cooperative multiplayer is like ten or twelve people max. Any more than that and it just becomes a clusterfuck. Also, that number drops severely if each player isn't in control of something substantial (like their own ship, character, mech, etc)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm the guy changing the in-flight movie.

Can you flip it on to the live starship news vans channels for me?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Iglocska posted:

It will all depend on what happens after the game is out. If they keep their promise from early on during the campaign then all pledge ships will be kind of meh. If not - well screw them.

Whoa there buddy! slow down. The thing that it actually depends on is that game existing at some point in the future.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

They are in for a shock

25 man raids are something that I wish I could erase from my memory.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can you flip it on to the live starship news vans channels for me?

You bet your rear end I can. We just got in episode #53 of "Space Rock Haulers".

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gonna name my ship "Stanford Prison Experiment"

25 person crew is gonna rule.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

peter gabriel posted:

If they tell you to freeze your dancing cat, you never let them coppers take it alive, ya hear?!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

peter gabriel posted:

:rip:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In their fantasy world the only people with space ships will be the people who bought in early. All the other plebs are going to have to work for them at slave wages for 100s if not 1000s of hours before they can afford a ship of their own. Since this will be the best drat space sim ever, and the last game anyone will ever want to play, the corporate elite of star citizen will have no shortage of workers to man their windshield wipers.

naw, the hilarious thing about people paying thousands for these ships is that it won't take 100s and 1000s of hours of playing. They were never meant to! So imagine how amazing it is going to be when these dorks are raging because some pubbie noob is driving around in a space Cadillac or whatever after a week of casual play.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

-I was shitposting all night officer! Here, look at this "the sheeples" thing I did!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

Whoa there buddy! slow down. The thing that it actually depends on is that game existing at some point in the future.

That's a given of course.

Not that it will be made, that's definitely not a given, but that it's a requirement for my statement to even make sense.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That Works posted:

Gonna name my ship "Stanford Prison Experiment"

25 person crew is gonna rule.

"Guys could you please unlock the doors so my spaceman can go to the space bathroom?"

"No, you're here because you're a space criminal. Keep shoveling coal, you animal! The Captain wants maximum speed!"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just watched their original pitch video for the first time in ages, and laughed throughout.

http://i.imgur.com/XaNg0L0.gifv

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 22, 2016

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Iglocska posted:

25 man raids are something that I wish I could erase from my memory.

Only 25?? The Last thing I ever did in WoW they ear it was released was finally get into one of these "raids," and they stuck you in with freaking 40 people!!! Trying to have a thoughtful philosophical debate standing in the auction house seemed like a more manageable and worthwhile venture than the raiding mechanic.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Iglocska posted:

The ship sale side of the business is a well oiled machine, I think it'll keep going after release. They'll just switch to saying it's not pay to win because you can get all those ships by earning in game credits.

You can also simply buy enough space money from the store to buy the ships in game, they've never said they'd stop doing that AFAIK so stopping ship sales wouldn't effect paying real money for ships.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

"Guys could you please unlock the doors so my spaceman can go to the space bathroom?"

"No, you're here because you're a space criminal. Keep shoveling coal, you animal! The Captain wants maximum speed!"

A 25-goon LP of SS13 in the SC universe.

Tha-

That would actually probably be loving awesome. And disgusting. But probably awesome.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Exactly. The thresh-hold for enjoyable cooperative multiplayer is like ten or twelve people max. Any more than that and it just becomes a clusterfuck. Also, that number drops severely if each player isn't in control of something substantial (like their own ship, character, mech, etc)

Yeah. First of all, most people have real lives. You know, certain schedules you keep to. So perhaps your 'org' can organize a once a week gig. Granted, this is assuming they actually develop a lobby system for your pals.

There you all are. On your Javelin. Now what the gently caress, there is nothing to loving to do but fly around and your best friend Tom operates the wipers. Out of boredom your group takes turns with the immersive getting in and out of bed animation.

Now if they up the instance count to 24, you may run across something to shoot at. Eh, another day in the Verse.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That Works posted:

A 25-goon LP of SS13 in the SC universe.

Tha-

That would actually probably be loving awesome. And disgusting. But probably awesome.

I volunteer to be a prisoner. I'll be smearing the walls with my feces inside of an hour. I'm assuming the level of fidelity will allow for that. It is a SIM after all.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah. First of all, most people have real lives. You know, certain schedules you keep to. So perhaps your 'org' can organize a once a week gig. Granted, this is assuming they actually develop a lobby system for your pals.

There you all are. On your Javelin. Now what the gently caress, there is nothing to loving to do but fly around and your best friend Tom operates the wipers. Out of boredom your group takes turns with the immersive getting in and out of bed animation.

Now if they up the instance count to 24, you may run across something to shoot at. Eh, another day in the Verse.

You know the wulge will just hire some corner workers to work on his ship and call him captain. (Some of them will actively try to bribe people to do this, you know it to be true)

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Colostomy Bag posted:

Be nice guys, they are ramping up to 53 different clothing brands. Hopefully they have scarves and bowties to round out your battle armor.

Holy crap, and I thought the dance of the 36 space scarves was ambitious.

:sigh: Time to scratch the whole thing and start over. I'll be back in two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

You're forgetting about the NPC crewmembers you can hire! And all the AI ships!

• Locked thread