Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

immediately went to youtub history and deleted it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I keep hoping gabz is just doing a bit. :ohdear:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Cryengine has been used for MMOs before.

(Not saying they were good ones, but they exist and they didn't explode if more than 16 people were in a city at the same time).
Weren't those games all developed by studios that had made MMO games in the past? They probably completely ditched CryEngine's existing netcode and hooked it up to their pre-existing infrastructures.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Disco Lando needs to stop appropriating a proud black man's hard work as his personal brand imo

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Rhubarb94 posted:

I think they've already gone full blown pay2win. Look at the limited ship sales, they have money thrown at them by slavering buyers every time and they can add more of the "limited stock"at any time by changing some numbers on a spreadsheet.

They may be wearing clownshoes on the space flight/game front but they'll never get tired of cashflow and would be stupid if they did.

Yes, but for it to be "pay2Win" and survive you have to have somethign to win. All the big "Pay2Win" title are based on constant conflict between players at every levels, be it for drops, control of territory, bragging rights, shop space, leaderboard titles ect.

Look at Age of Wushu (a poo poo game, i know, but they did P2W and open world PvP half decently). Nearly every activity outside the very basic progression has you in competition with other players.

Market & Crafting ? Shop spots are sold at auctions. You can fight over ressources spot.
PVE raidings ? Other players can come in as "Assasins" to help the boss and if they win they reduce your drop quality and rate.
Territory control (self explanatory)
World boss monsters only give rewards to the group landing the last blow, turning the last 5% of the boss healthbar into a full blown PVP free for all where you want to kill the other group to ensure you get the loot.
Extra or new Skills ? Fight other players for a chance to learn them.
Tournaments every evening, cross server fights, ect.

For everything worth a dam, your choices are always 1)pay or 2)fight other players and grind.

SC has nothing worth fighting for right now and by all account wont have more by 2017.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

Cryengine has been used for MMOs before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games

Archeage is the only one that springs out at me. But a previous poster pointed out that you need to write coherent extension to the engine to allow more people to connect, and that requires solid netcode and veterens with the engine, something that CiG didn't manage.

Given long enough they should amass the experience required, but that might not intersect with player expectation.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Disco Lando needs to stop appropriating a proud black man's hard work as his personal brand imo

Does Billy Dee Williams qualify as "proud" anymore?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games

Archeage is the only one that springs out at me. But a previous poster pointed out that you need to write coherent extension to the engine to allow more people to connect, and that requires solid netcode and veterens with the engine, something that CiG didn't manage.

Given long enough they should amass the experience required, but that might not intersect with player expectation.

Also Archeage was hot rear end in a top hat that basically trusted the client for everything

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Kins posted:

Weren't those games all developed by studios that had made MMO games in the past? They probably completely ditched CryEngine's existing netcode and hooked it up to their pre-existing infrastructures.

It's a mix bag. On the one hand, we have stuff like Aion, which was made by NCSoft, which has some experience (mainly in making bad games). On the other, we have Entropia, which was mainly made by insane people. It becomes more a question of what you think qualifies as an MMO, really.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

Also Archeage was hot rear end in a top hat that basically trusted the client for everything

trap sprung. What level was your underage catgirl?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Inverness posted:

I played Evochron Mercenary for a bit. My problem with it was the same as with Elite: a shallow game experience.

I suppose that's why I want something like Star Citizen to actually happen. The concept offers more depth.

Though at this point there is little hope of that concept actually coming to fruition with Star Citizen.

The best thing comming out of SC abd CIG is showing all the other talented folk out there that there still is a public and demand for space games and not only FPS and 3rd person half filled sandboxes.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Booblord Zagats posted:

The idea of these spergs melting down while some 13 year old just starts mag dumping on a news caster at the space aquarium honestly fills me with some Grinch-seeing-whoville-sing type joy

Yeah, me too. Or people strapping explosives to themselves and jihading the space aquarium.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does the newscaster have loving shields and poo poo to defend himself and his camera?

I mean I could interview people but hell I want a Gauss gun to defend myself in the process. I have integrity as a newscaster. Once word spreads across the 16 player instance my whole career is finished.

I hope not. But even if it does you could just ram into it. I also imagine a space reporter interviewing someone on a space dock about space loading (these people are just that boring) while a ship kamikazes into the interviewer and interviewee in a massive fireball. And then the game crashes.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

aleksendr posted:

The best thing comming out of SC abd CIG is showing all the other talented folk out there that there still is a public and demand for space games and not only FPS and 3rd person half filled sandboxes.

I'm not sure if the community is a selling point, dealing with them probably isn't worth the 105 million.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, me too. Or people strapping explosives to themselves and jihading the space aquarium.

I hope not. But even if it does you could just ram into it. I also imagine a space reporter interviewing someone on a space dock about space loading (these people are just that boring) while a ship kamikazes into the interviewer and interviewee in a massive fireball. And then the game crashes.

Of for gods sake, you are forgetting there is another newscaster filming the demise of the original newscaster. One just needs to tune into a sub-channel to get alternate feeds.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

GetWellGamers posted:

To be fair, there are a lot of reasons why a weapon firing could crash the game that aren't pants-on-head retarded. If you have a custom particle effect that's been attached to the bullets but the effect has been moved or deleted, if you have a unique sound effect called that isn't there, if you have a projectile speed that missed a decimal point and breaks physics, any one of those things could cause the game cycle to just go "FUUUUUUUUU :supaburn:" and hit a fatal error.

Now, you could put in error handling for this sort of thing, but at the point you add that in it's cheaper to just fix the drat thing, unless you're already using global error handling (Like WoW's infamous "Shane-Cubes") but that means CIG planning ahead which means no.

So, while it is a stupid crash to have, it's not by any means a stupidity unique to Star Citizen. I bet most FPSes at one point or another have a weapon that crashes the game when it's used.

So yeah, this game taught me something about client/server mismatching and how it can cause breaks. Basically the shotgun exists on the server spawns and when the client "sees" it, a mismatch ID happens or something I have read. So I guess if you went to that certain area the server would spawn the loot or whatnot in that instance and cause the game to eat itself.

I wonder if that's why they had troubles with the elevators too? Wrong asset used and it mismatched?

The ways this game breaks itself makes me laugh though, cause it's weird from left field poo poo.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Eonwe posted:

Also Archeage was hot rear end in a top hat

"Oh, indeed."

-- Omar Little

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Another Open House is in session. Will pop in later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcPT0HZD83A&feature=youtu.be

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Of for gods sake, you are forgetting there is another newscaster filming the demise of the original newscaster. One just needs to tune into a sub-channel to get alternate feeds.

Oh god how many of them want to do this stupid poo poo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
what the gently caress is a stimpire?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Gorn fanfiction.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I want to say its fantasizing about cutting up women's vaginas, but I honestly don't know.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

trucutru posted:

This is my area of research and there are plenty of ways to deal with this specific issue, just like Eve or any other competently programmed multiplayer game shows. Of course, each one has its own compromises but they tend to be reasonable using the proper techniques. They could even directly implement a simple interest management algorithm they find in some published paper and immediately improve their performance (The fact that players received updates from Vanduul ships thousands of kilometers away show that they are not doing any interest matching worth a crap, they probably just extended the range on the default values in cryengine). Doing that is feasible but your replication engine has to be built around it, so they are hosed unless they get a couple of capable people in there and give them the time and resources to address the issue.

So, hire me CIG, I do know about that poo poo.

If SC wasn't poo poo it would still have to make compromises that any similar type of game has to make. Doesn't Eve basically just slow down time once there is too much going on in one area and the server can no longer keep up? Fundamentally the only way to make such a game that plays in real time is to limit the maximum number of players that can interact with each other at once. Yes you can do clever things to exclude players from the calculations if it is impossible for them to interact but that isn't going to save you if they all the players decide to occupy the same area of space.

I suspect this is partially why space games fell out of favour for so long. With something like battlefield there are a lot of tricks you can use with level design and things like vehicle availability to spread the players in a manageable distribution and still keep the game fun. For a space game where the environment is mostly empty, good luck.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dapper Dan posted:

You guys are missing the big picture.

A whole instance of space reporters trying desperately to report on one another.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Mendrian posted:

A whole instance of space reporters trying desperately to report on one another.

Id watch a livestream of that.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

Dayz is a monstrous piece of poo poo but thats normal for survival games. Also afaik it doesn't have any 15k DLC or promise the mentally ill a replacement life in the zombie apocalypse. Fart shitizen really is in a league of it's own for this stuff

Yes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

fanfic around a large scale organisation that likes to multilate it's people because *reasons*. Actually there were multiple versions of degrees of WTF.

We did float the idea of a Stimpire that was utopian, but you don't want to get too close to the poop.

stinch posted:

Doesn't Eve basically just slow down time once there is too much going on in one area and the server can no longer keep up?

Time dilation is a relatively new thing, but yes. One of the other things that you used to do was *inform* CCP of an upcoming POS Shot, and they would reinforce the node - IE shunt the 'system' to it's own blade rather than have the constellation on one.

They went from supporting 400 in a system, to 800, to around 1200. I have no idea what Dilation's upper limit currently is, but the biggest problem have always been and always be the scaling out of positional information. Once your bandwidth is _full_, you can only adjust other metrics and time is one.

The vast differences between this and SC are that in Eve, you hit a gun, that gun registers against the target and then it's evaluated. In SC, you're going to do that with multiple shots. In the former, the shot has no positional data, in the latter, they're phsyically in the universe and require positional updates.

I've mangled this, but there's food nearby and I must eat...

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 22, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mendrian posted:

Space reporter recursion. Another day in the Verse.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

D_Smart posted:

Another Open House is in session. Will pop in later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcPT0HZD83A&feature=youtu.be

Awwww yiss...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I mentioned it back when that guy was all "SC could be used to cure cancer!"

CCP put out a dev blog recently about their ~real science gamification thing with some university/institute - http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/project-discovery-needs-you/

quote:

Together with Swiss startup company Massively Multiplayer Online Science and Reykjavík University, CCP has been working on bringing real world scientific research into the EVE game experience. For the launch of Project Discovery we are collaborating with The Human Protein Atlas (HPA), a swedish research group that builds and provides a public database of human proteins that gets used by thousands of medical research groups. By participating in Project Discovery you will be helping HPA to analyze new protein images to expand their database and in turn contributing to the wellbeing of future patients being treated around the world.

So basically even if SC tries to do it, it'll be funny pointing out to the Citizens that EVE was doing it before them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Booblord Zagats posted:

I honestly thought this was just building up to be a fun gimmick about SC nerds killing your acquaintances or some poo poo

Seriously? I had zero idea. Which ones?

Aion is the one that comes to mind most readily. I think it was 2009? ish. It was a typically korean grindfest style MMO, but it was pretty at least. Also, yea, NCSoft does have experience in the MMO area in the first place, too.

You could tell it was cryengine based because the movement always felt not quite right :v:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 22, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dapper Dan posted:

The space ship factory on Globlox 7 was attacked today during the filming of popular children's space show "Everyone's Glorbglax" when a suspected pirate known as "Sep1r0th_KillA" opened fire on the filming crew taking the lives of 22 NPCs and 4 PCs before he was IP banned by CIG Corps. Fortunately, all the ships had 6X shields equipped and they never turn off so no spaceships were damaged.

In related news, you can now buy the spaceships in question with LTI for $500

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Booblord Zagats posted:

The space ship factory on Globlox 7 was attacked today during the filming of popular children's space show "Everyone's Glorbglax" when a suspected pirate known as "Sep1r0th_KillA" opened fire on the filming crew taking the lives of 22 NPCs and 4 PCs before he was IP banned by CIG Corps. Fortunately, all the ships had 6X shields equipped and they never turn off so no spaceships were damaged.

An obvious government attempt to take our guns, this event never happened.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man someone posted a picture of erriss or whatever wearing a bowtie and a fez cap somewhere in the past 10 pages and that got me irrationally mad,

edited out something I feel bad about saying

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hav posted:

An obvious government attempt to take our guns, this event never happened.

Guns which can be purchased on the Voyager Direct for the low price of 220 Imperial Credits!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

So I mentioned it back when that guy was all "SC could be used to cure cancer!"

CCP put out a dev blog recently about their ~real science gamification thing with some university/institute - http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/project-discovery-needs-you/

So basically even if SC tries to do it, it'll be funny pointing out to the Citizens that EVE was doing it before them.

That's pretty cool but knowing CCP you'll have to actually cure cancer to get any worthwhile in-game reward out of it

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Berious posted:

That's pretty cool but knowing CCP you'll have to actually cure cancer to get any worthwhile in-game reward out of it

knowing how spergs care about maxing their poo poo that might be the breakthrough we need

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Berious posted:

True. I'm gonna try it out on the test server when it goes live and see how it is.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Based on what Roberts and his PR team have been doing so far, in-game news reporters will be primarily focused on producing ads to sell more ships

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

trap sprung. What level was your underage catgirl?

lol

you joke, but the Goons had a literal pedo in the guild that the officers tried to sweep under the rug and sneak back into the guild after he was finally kicked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

peter gabriel posted:

Have these people who want 25 people on a ship never done a raid in an MMO?
They are in for a shock
I know MMO people here are making raids out to be a clusterfuck, but in Planetside 2, Goons used to organize two full platoons (32 people per platoon) for alerts without much of a problem. And that is in a game with combined arms air, armor, and infantry combat. So 25 people isn't a problem if you have your voice comms worked out.

• Locked thread