Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

This is a crazy awkward stream...are they all like this? Holy poo poo, they were calling Ben fat and insulting Sandi to her face and Lando had to acknowledge that he's ignoring questions about their failed promises. Great job, community team :thumbsup:

e: for the new page: http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Jonny Nox posted:

In what way is the SC experience "deeper". Assuming we get the game it seems like the same game loop as all the others
Having not just the spaceship elements but FPS and EVA elements in such a game too dramatically increases the amount of experiences that can be offered.

A hypothetical scenario would be you being a mercenary and having to steal a large ship from a hangar on a planet. You and your crew start a firefight with security when stealth fails but manage to hack it and get away anyways. You and your friends have to fight the security fighters tailing you. At some point you find out you have a tracking device on your hull and poo poo isn't going to end until its removed so someone has to EVA outside to remove it and hope you don't get ambushed again in the process.

Just something I thought off of of the top of my head that would be fun to play but won't happen because CIG isn't going to make it and nobody else seems to be interested in a spaceship game beyond the spaceship part. It's pretty understandable because it takes a lot of resources.

Perhaps the advent of VR will make a stronger argument for that kind of thing.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

fuzzknot posted:

Aww. :( I'm sorry to hear that.

We're not just shitposters here, you know; PM any one of us if you need anything.

I am sad too. Can your rich boyfriend buy me a Javelin or alternatively send some expensive hooker?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BeefThief posted:

This is a crazy awkward stream...are they all like this? Holy poo poo, they were calling Ben fat and insulting Sandi to her face and Lando had to acknowledge that he's ignoring questions about their failed promises. Great job, community team :thumbsup:

HAAAA! BANNED!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ezekeel posted:

I am sad too. Can your rich boyfriend buy me a Javelin or alternatively send some expensive hooker?

Need referral code.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The flash stream video won't play for me but I can read the chat...

"AZMODIUZ: OMFG THE BANGING"

Must make sure the stream never loads.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

BeefThief posted:

Cant watch atm, do they archive this crap after the event?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i watched like 12 seconds of that livestream, it was the first time i had done so. It just stunned me how big lesnick is man he's a loving ogre jesus christ

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

Thus causing guild, thread and fun to implode on itself (for very valid reasons). This was the greatest goon fuckups i ever witnessed.

I downloaded the game, hit the character generator and was. :stare:

Then I got in and found that there was a thriving economy of people loving each other over for farming spots. :catstare:

Inverness posted:

Just something I thought off of of the top of my head that would be fun to play but won't happen because CIG isn't going to make it and nobody else seems to be interested in a spaceship game beyond the spaceship part. It's pretty understandable because it takes a lot of resources.

No, no it doesn't, it takes lot of _systems_. Resources don't really matter once you have the systems down, but in your brief example:

You have to have a mechanism for ownership of assets that allows for said assets to be 'stolen'. Easy enough, you make a transponder that can be recoded, so you need to have a method of recoding transponders. But how do you make this difficult or at least skill-based to mean that everyone isn't just stealing anything locked down?

Stealth. You're going to have to lever in three different systems for stealth, starting at spaceflight and concluding at 'sneaking around on foot'. You want a button, or should it be skill-based? If skill based, how do you make it something that requires skill while being procedural?

Relatively simple things become trees or graphs when you start to explore the concepts, but the first thing you do with any of the systems is break them. So what happens if you steal your own ship? Is it a viable method of monetizing insurance? Can you steal a ship to get around bounties? Who reports the ship stolen? If I report a ship stolen, and it isn't, what happens?

These are the things that we've been talking about since the kickstarter passed 8 million, how does he actually supply all the things mentioned, let alone promised without locking down some of the most basic things. Like how insurance actually works.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
"can we spacerape?"

"are birds implemented?"

*BANNED FOREVER*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Berious posted:

Yeah, you can watch it here http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/35616376

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Berious posted:

It'll show up on their youtube a few days later for downloading and gifing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

And now for something completely different...

I'm writing this on behalf of a mythical "moderate backer", he didn't ask me to but after speaking with him in the last couple of days I feel like it might be worth a shot especially because he has been trolling this thread pretty hilariously during the last week, which is how we ended up talking.

The Good: he is heavily displeased with the way CIG handles poo poo, the moderators in the RSI forums and reddit and the Star Citizen community in general which he agrees are complete nutters. He claims to have tried to speak against the current but realized that if he kept up he was going to be ostracized and lumped in with the goons so he has been keeping his doubts and complaints to himself. He has also revealed to be a pretty competent troll and if it wasn't for the fact that we're on different sides of the trenches I get the feeling he would fit right in.

The Bad: although he is not as deluded as the rest and is fully aware that something is rotten in the state of Denmark he is still largely a believer but the fact that he has no one to talk to probably doesn't help in that department.

The Ugly: he loathes Derek Smart and at this point I think that plays as much a part in his current stance as does his love of The Vision.

He keeps up with the thread more or less but the main reason he hasn't joined SA yet is that he gets the feeling that our moderation is the same as reddit but in reverse, that he would get "the Seraph treatment" or that we would chase him away just because he isn't 100% making GBS threads on CIG and still wishes the project to succeed. He didn't ask me to do this but since some of you once in a while talk about being willing to pay for some redditor or other to join I thought he'd be a great candidate. I'd pay for it myself but I'm just a poor war orphan slaving away in a coltan mine, if any of you deep pocket whales is willing to stretch a helping hand to a proto-goon speak up and I'll put you in touch.

On the other hand maybe he's an even bigger troll than I give him credit for and he just managed to subliminary sweet talk me into this and once he joins he'll make me look like a fool. :shrug:

e: this is a different person from that "appeal to goons" guy I posted a couple of weeks ago

Considering that we don't poo poo on SC supporters here, like they do non-believers over at Reddit, his concerns are unfounded. I mean, for example, Loush (?) ran himself off when it came time for him to follow-up on promises to get a refund if 2.x didn't live up to expectations. I miss that guy though. His posts were great.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Inverness posted:

Perhaps the advent of VR will make a stronger argument for that kind of thing.

You can do a lot of that in Space Engineers (and to a lesser extent in other games like Empyrion: Galactic Survival). In theory they could make some sort of thrilling FPS out of it like you mentioned (SE is definitely not that), but citizens keep pointing at people flying around in ships and then getting out of them to jetpack around and saying that nobody has done it before when it's just not true.

Also, VR will be amazing for flying around in spaceships but I still don't see how it won't be incredibly awkward as some kind of FPS experience.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 22, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Hav posted:

No, no it doesn't, it takes lot of _systems_. Resources don't really matter once you have the systems down,
I meant resources as in funds and people to develop the game.

quote:

but in your brief example:

You have to have a mechanism for ownership of assets that allows for said assets to be 'stolen'. Easy enough, you make a transponder that can be recoded, so you need to have a method of recoding transponders. But how do you make this difficult or at least skill-based to mean that everyone isn't just stealing anything locked down?

Stealth. You're going to have to lever in three different systems for stealth, starting at spaceflight and concluding at 'sneaking around on foot'. You want a button, or should it be skill-based? If skill based, how do you make it something that requires skill while being procedural?

Relatively simple things become trees or graphs when you start to explore the concepts, but the first thing you do with any of the systems is break them. So what happens if you steal your own ship? Is it a viable method of monetizing insurance? Can you steal a ship to get around bounties? Who reports the ship stolen? If I report a ship stolen, and it isn't, what happens?

These are the things that we've been talking about since the kickstarter passed 8 million, how does he actually supply all the things mentioned, let alone promised without locking down some of the most basic things. Like how insurance actually works.
That's a lot to think about, yeah.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eonwe posted:

lol

you joke, but the Goons had a literal pedo in the guild that the officers tried to sweep under the rug and sneak back into the guild after he was finally kicked

Where those officers goons? Anyone that still posts?

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

ZenMaster posted:

My sister last year had a man shoot himself in his garage right behind her house.

Your sister sounds pretty mean and is also a murderer!

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Ezekeel posted:

Sorry. His refund money already went towards both. :shepspends:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

Well the police won't confirm anything yet, they told us her first name and it's her for sure.
Really sad news, we are really upset about it - they will update us later.

Also this just in:

What an odd day

Neat, have fun with it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuzzknot posted:

Most of it has been catpix, recipes, and general shitposting. There has been hardly any real discussion. See the thread title: We'll discuss the game when there is one.

So we're not discussing the game.

Speaking of which, I'd like to humbly submit my girlfriend's catte for inclusion into the goon-de-yada video, if it ever gets made:

Or, if Bootcha can be talked into using not a catte, my dog comes with a hat preinstalled:

Mostly I'm just sick of updating the style sheet for /r/Squadron42 and want to show off my dumb animals.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Let's be fair, I "like" DSmart but he is an enormous rear end in a top hat and it's not like it bothers him people think that. He goes out of his way to apear a complete bastard at times. If all you have been getting for months is the coolaid hating DS will come naturally.

Yup, pretty much.

Thing is, these assholes think that I go out of my way to get people to like me. I don't. People who know me either like or hate me. People who know me, work for me etc, have no reason to hate me because I am a completely different person when it comes to how I regard people. If you're an arsehole to me, well you deserve all that you get. No exceptions.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I know :)
It's just a bit weird at the moment, she was awesome, and also no details on how it happened so that's on my mind.

I'm sorry to hear about this development, friend.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Guys, Redditor "Roadbeer" told me that CIG broke up with me and moved on to another sperg. Apparently he wants me to stop posting. Which is why he replied to a post I made five days ago, in a thread I hadn't posted in the last three days.

That's his go to line, he's been clinging to it for months.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

none of the officers involved with sweeping it under the rug seem to post anymore

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuzzknot posted:

Sorry. His refund money already went towards both. :shepspends:

lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Yup, pretty much.

Thing is, these assholes think that I go out of my way to get people to like me. I don't. People who know me either like or hate me. People who know me, work for me etc, have no reason to hate me because I am a completely different person when it comes to how I regard people. If you're an arsehole to me, well you deserve all that you get. No exceptions.

I like you as a person, I think you go too far in going after random internet dickheads

I've said that before, and you've never flown off the handle at me like redditors imply you do to anyone who criticizes you

also why do we not have a goon-de-yadda yet derek

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if I had skill programming id work for Derek

he seems like the kind of guy who sticks up for his employees when they get treated badly

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MeLKoR posted:

The Ugly: he loathes Derek Smart and at this point I think that plays as much a part in his current stance as does his love of The Vision.

I mean I think Derek is a dummy a lot of the time, and his games are pretty terrible, but that doesn't stop me from posting here or laughing at some of the things Derek says/does.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Well?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Unfunny Poster posted:

I mean I think Derek is a dummy a lot of the time, and his games are pretty terrible, but that doesn't stop me from posting here or laughing at some of the things Derek says/does.

Yes, but I think this guy is the perfect example of the bonanza CIG turned DSmart into. He came off as frustrated with the way they handle things and the guys in the community that hand wave every failure and I think he might have ended up channeling some of that frustration to the only target he was allowed to attack. It's funny that of everything CIG did related to this project the demonization of Derek Smart ended up being by far the most effective measure they ever took.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

Speaking of which, I'd like to humbly submit my girlfriend's catte for inclusion into the goon-de-yada video, if it ever gets made:

Or, if Bootcha can be talked into using not a catte, my dog comes with a hat preinstalled:

Mostly I'm just sick of updating the style sheet for /r/Squadron42 and want to show off my dumb animals.

those are some pretty great cattes

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eonwe posted:

if I had skill programming id work for Derek

he seems like the kind of guy who sticks up for his employees when they get treated badly

What happened to the dude with the Samus avatars? I seem to remember somebody like that.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

Don't remember who they were but i do know we ran that pedo out of the eve space guild soon as we found out. Being worse than eve goons is extra shameful. It was some hosed up poo poo

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Inverness posted:

I meant resources as in funds and people to develop the game.

That's a lot to think about, yeah.

What you want is Battlefield, but with spaceships. It just isn't going to work as a massively multiplayer game. So you want to hijack a particular ship? Why is it in the space-port in the first place? Did another factions PCs fly it there? Why would any sane player be playing a game where they are just waiting around a ship for an attack that they aren't supposed to know is coming? Why can you predict that the ship is going to be there? What happens if you get your guild together to make this raid and half your party decides not to show? What happens if the rival faction gets the flu and the ship isn't there?

It would be cool if you could steal the ship and then evade pursuit until you get the ship to a safe haven, but who's going to be persuing you? Even if your game can handle that many players with that kind of fidelity, what if the pursuing fighter pilots were just not logged in?

NOW,

Set the scenario up as a raid instead. Local Crime Magnate has contacted you to relieve Very Legitimate Businessman of his nice fast freighter. He tells you that it's going to be docking on deck 4 which can only be accessed by elevator X. In gameplay terms you and your crew get together to take down this freighter and gather in elevator X. Pressing the "Deck 4" button transports you to the instance where the arrival of the ship is set for a predetermined range of time after you begin. Meanwhile your crew is interfacing with systems, NPC, and PCs (hired to defend the ship, matchmaking happening behind the scenes, they also arrived by elevator) and you steal the ship. Yaay! The pilot you physically haul out of the pilot's seat is just a dummy and acts as another kind locational damage for the ship by the way, but it feels good so whatever. The remainder of your Crew piles into the ship and mans the turrets while your pilot specialist takes off. You are still in the instance so the mission has been written up such that you race outside of the station you are in and land at a "private" hanger. NPC, or maybe warped-in PC pilots chase you around the station until you reach your destination, get a cutscene of Local Crime Underboss thanking you for your service and paying you off, then you leave through a main entrance that drops you in a discrete area of the station in the actual main server where you can interface with shopkeepers, quest-givers, and PCs again like any MMO.

Then you climb into your Gladius and do the same gameplay loop that you do in Elite.

It would be really cool, but it's not the game that CIG is pitching anymore. And really if the part of the gameplay you like is the instance (and you should it's really cool) maybe the way forward is a Co-op FPS with flyable vehicles and awesomely large levels with a good matchmaking system to dump you into a match.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

Your pets look very cute and characterful, good job goon

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

How the bloody gently caress are they making $70k a day. Who is giving them that sort of money on a daily basis.

When it all falls apart we're going to find out those figures are total horseshit. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

We have long thought it to be bullshit. And Dec snafu once again lent some credence to that claim. And yes, once it all falls apart, stuff like this is going to come out.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
I don't understand why Loiosh is remembered so fondly.

Despite his friendly demeanor he was first and foremost a massive equivocator. More often than not if someone had a reasonable point that conflicted with his reality he'd just dance around or outright ignore it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Amarcarts posted:

Yes but so far nobody has said Star Blumpkin

But, I mean, in theory, you WANT a blumpkin, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm gonna stream some of that EVE Online "protein solver" thing on https://www.twitch.tv/tallardar if anyone is interested.

• Locked thread