Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.

mortal posted:

I think he's asking if he should extract and retry for a serration drop (20 more minutes for one ~5% chance) or, now that enemy level is high enough for scorpions to spawn, kill scorpions to get serration (<1% chance).

Another answer is get a serration from a goon if you don't have one and use cores to level it up. Or progress through the star chart until scorpions are everywhere.

Yeah, that's right. I'll probably try a few more times as I have a few things I want ranked up first, then just move on to other planets. I hadn't realised that was the drop rate, so I won't bust a gut trying to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Anything you want has a low drop rate. That's why you want it.

Although there's nothing like the worst excesses of MMOs here. Nothing's a .01% drop off a superboss that can only be attempted by one squad globally once a week.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Clan chat has a 100% drop rate. Ask the clan, we've got duplicates of almost all the Good Mods.
And if we don't, we'll probably help you grind for it.

Edit: also the new Trinity Skin has the Z.O.E Orbital Frame super-tiny-feet thing goin' on.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 23, 2016

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Clan chat has a 100% drop rate. Ask the clan, we've got duplicates of almost all the Good Mods.
And if we don't, we'll probably help you grind for it.

Edit: also the new Trinity Skin has the Z.O.E Orbital Frame super-tiny-feet thing goin' on.

I was about to ask how long before we start seeing Z.O.E. style "cockpits" and then your avatar started thrusting in my face and I realized. We've had them for years.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Sheldon tweeted something today about making Baro's table offer more 'evergreen' content, so I'm guessing that's potatoes and boosters. Probably still a fair number of people accumulating ducks faster than they can spend them, even after they slowed down his rotation.

Didn't get to do a dev stream summary since the city of Atlanta is preparing to turn into an ice cube again. Will later tonight if nobody else has.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
So I have a couple of potatoes now, but no Primed frames or gear. Is it worth using these things on like, my Carrier or something? Or should I just accumulate them until I have something "endgame"?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There are plenty of frames and weapons without special variants that are competitive at high levels, and remember that you can always get more potatoes; it's worth using them on weapons you're using now even if that weapon won't hold up at t4 or in sorties.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dessert Rose posted:

So I have a couple of potatoes now, but no Primed frames or gear. Is it worth using these things on like, my Carrier or something? Or should I just accumulate them until I have something "endgame"?

Don't use them on companions unless you have really specific thing you want to do or have run out of other things to potato. A frame doesn't have to be prime to be worth putting a potato in them. Ember and Frost are nearly identical to the prime variants except for an additional polarity slot. Frames like Banshee and Valkyr don't have prime versions, but are great and well worth a potato if you like their style of play.

For weapons I do really suggest getting a good solid workhorse assault rifle to put a catalyst in. Soma Prime and Boltor Prime are the go to choices, just ask in clan chat if you want to run the void missions to get them. Keys are hard to get in large numbers when you are just starting out, but most vets have more than they can use.

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

Dessert Rose posted:

Potatoes come around, I'd say you'll come into one from DE about once a week or so, usually Invasions or Gifts from the Lotus. Even then, you can sell prime pieces you don't want for plat and buy potatoes. I put them on whatever feels right at the time. My Rhino and Rhino Prime, Mag and Mag Prime, Carrier and Carrier Prime are instances where both versions have one. Of course I'd never use the non-Prime versions, but I never feel like I've wasted them. Forma? Different story for me.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
If you have fun with it, starch it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Coldbird posted:

Sheldon tweeted something today about making Baro's table offer more 'evergreen' content, so I'm guessing that's potatoes and boosters. Probably still a fair number of people accumulating ducks faster than they can spend them, even after they slowed down his rotation.

Didn't get to do a dev stream summary since the city of Atlanta is preparing to turn into an ice cube again. Will later tonight if nobody else has.

I didn't see enough to do a proper summary but I will say these images from the devstream suggest the Operation on Monday is gonna be fairly interesting.

http://imgur.com/a/Stlwd

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
STREAM THE 67th - not tons this round

• New event begins soon, named 'Shadow Debt', as early as Monday for PC master race. It will have some kind of tie-in to the Second Dream plot. While they didn't give much more than that, Steve mentioned that (like many previous headline events) it's actually a field test of a future game feature - some kind of communal goal thing where you fight 'VIP enemies' (I assume bosses).
  • When discussing people wanting to know more about Umbra stuff, they acknowledged January has been kind of light for updates, which they said was mainly because they kind of went nuts to cram as much into December as possible despite vacations, etc.
  • Next Prime Access is probably first week of Feb, maybe second. They blamed the holidays for the delay, but they did at least acknowledge up front that it's taking longer than usual. Some goober asked if every frame will eventually have a prime, I guess not realizing that they add new frames faster than they add new Prime Access...
  • Deadline for the current wave of TennoGen skin submissions is 'probably mid-February', so yeah not much of a deadline - but this likely means the winners would be ingame by mid-March.
  • Baro Ki'Teer is probably going away, though they wouldn't 100% commit on that. They said he's 'become a routine' and isn't really contributing much anymore, and they don't like the idea of very important mods like Primed Flow and Primed Continuity only being available in certain narrow windows. I'm guessing that they're planning to move all that to the planned sortie currency vendor, but it's unclear. They may re-purpose ducats into the proposed sortie currency.
  • When asked about syndicate melee weapons, they said that 'Gary said yes'. I guess this is important for the people that still believe that melee is an idea that exists in Warframe, and those unfortunate Tenno may now go on a quest to find out who the gently caress Gary is, and fail because all four of them only brought melee weapons.
  • They're talking about weird options for improving drop rates on rare stances - one idea mentioned was that killing mobs any mobs) with the melee weapon itself would simply cause those mobs to possibly drop stance mods, and another is a placeholder stance mod from syndicates which goes in the same slot but hugely ups the drop rate on other stances. This sounds like some needlessly convoluted bullshit for which there is a dramatically simpler solution - so obviously it will go live as-is.
  • Mesh for Zephyr deluxe skin was previewed, and is... really something.

• The Focus gain changes are still being tested - they are still working on the same solution as before (radial/shared xp back in, occasional rare drops of a 'booster' item from any mob which gives a temporary, huge buff to Focus gain rate). They showed a video with a placeholder for the powerup item drop itself, and mentioned that the drop chance for the thing will get higher and higher based on how long the mission goes.
  • New Corpus weapon mentioned - something new, like two halves of a pipe which you wear on each of your fists and bring them together to fire. Would be a custom animation set. Also new Corpus cosmetic armor which looks decent. It's hard to see here, but the shoulders are sort of these metal circle things mounted in a bracket, and the chest armor is another metal circle but it has some kind of black hole energy effect going inside it. From what was described, it will probably all be in a set for plat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Coldbird posted:

[*]Mesh for Zephyr deluxe skin was previewed, and is... really something.

'Set the anime to 11'

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I think that melee kills giving higher odds of stances dropping makes sense

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Does Attica have innate punchthrough?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tallgeese posted:

Does Attica have innate punchthrough?

I would assume not because it'd interfere with the wall-pinning thing, but hosed if I know for sure.

Also I love the Attica so be sure to share whatever you're planning if it works.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that melee kills giving higher odds of stances dropping makes sense

I dunno, stanceless weapons are kind of a pain in the rear end to use. Like the Destreza is not nearly as good without Vulpine Mask.
It's an odd idea to be sure. I'd have to see how it pans out.

quote:

I guess this is important for the people that still believe that melee is an idea that exists in Warframe, and those unfortunate Tenno may now go on a quest to find out who the gently caress Gary is, and fail because all four of them only brought melee weapons.

Melee is good and cool actually

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Valkyr and Excal want a word with you.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Jat kittag anything would like a word, too.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Coldbird posted:

They showed a video with a placeholder for the powerup item drop itself, and mentioned that the drop chance for the thing will get higher and higher based on how long the mission goes.
Continue hanging out by the Galleon console, got it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SSNeoman posted:

Agreed. An Ash that doesn't mix in copious amounts of normal melee with Bladestorm is a boring, not stylish, and terrible Ash :colbert:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SSNeoman posted:

Dunno how anyone can think it's bad after Naramon became a thing.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

SynthOrange posted:

Valkyr and Excal want a word with you.

Excalibur is not a melee frame. Shooting laser beams from your sword is not actually melee.

And lets face it Valkyr is only good because her ult is ridiculously op.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

randombattle posted:

Excalibur is not a melee frame. Shooting laser beams from your sword is not actually melee.

Admittedly I haven't used Excalibur for a while, but I remember his ultimate ability of summoning a sword and beating people up with it being pretty effective.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

If becoming a whirling, punching tornado of death with my Berserker-crit build Tekko is wrong, I don't want to be right.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If becoming a whirling, punching tornado of death with my Berserker-crit build Obex is wrong, I don't want to be right.

The Tekko are cool too, I'm sure, just I'm emptyquoting and don't want to be wrong about which weapon I use. :goonsay:

E: VVV Oh, I don't mean wrong as in gameplay just I changed your quote which is normally a passive-aggressive correction. :)

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 23, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Any weapon that you enjoy using is a good weapon*. Warframe isn't a game where you have to be super optimal at all times, you can use what you like :unsmith:

*Except the Sheev. That dagger is an unrepentant turd.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I feel like saying melee isn't a thing when you can reliably do the sortie by hitting guys in the face is kind of a non sequitur. Might as well say guns aren't a thing.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's probably a holdover from when melee did suck super hard, and then later when having any melee but the Dual Zoren or Tipedo wasn't worth sacrificing coptering so even if melee was usable new weapons weren't.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bite me, I have a space dragon weeablade, and it wrecks.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I currently run a Braton Vandal, Lato Prime and Skana Prime. T4 missions are a bit harder with that setup but still doable. Use whatever you feel like as long as you have fun and it fits the look of your frame, cause looking super cool is more important in a space ninja game than sustained DPS or burst damage.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Baro K'Teer this round, :wtc: Literally poo poo.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Feindfeuer posted:

Use whatever you feel like as long as you have fun and it fits the look of your frame, cause looking super cool is more important in a space ninja game than sustained DPS or burst damage.
Listen to this wisdom. When in doubt, Tenno: Form is more important than Function! :kamina:

E: I suddenly want a drill frame/weapon. Just for the endless TTGL references. We have not yet achieved Maximum Anime. I'll settle for Kamina-doggles.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 23, 2016

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

*Except the Sheev. That dagger is an unrepentant turd.

I'm gonna shank you in the Dojo Showers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's an unrepentant turd. I'm sorry you can't make it past denial.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It looks cool and pubies get mad because they can't have it.

In other news, DE hosed excavation missions.

curious
Mar 14, 2007

"Hey, I got one of my paperwork guys complaining about DEMON PILES."

Sandweed posted:

In other news, DE hosed excavation missions.

What happened?

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

They lowed excavator starting energy to 20 and seem to have made them spawn further apart from each other now to make it harder to have more then one up at a time.

Also hosed with the spawn rates of the battery guys to be higher to compensate but I really haven't noticed it.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
it's almost impossible to have three up at once. No more than two spawn reliably, and two will almost never spawn in the same tile.

In order to get the old rates you need two Frosts and two groups, meaning half or less shared affinity, so running a good excav is pretty lovely for affinity gains now.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

Denzine posted:

it's almost impossible to have three up at once. No more than two spawn reliably, and two will almost never spawn in the same tile.

In order to get the old rates you need two Frosts and two groups, meaning half or less shared affinity, so running a good excav is pretty lovely for affinity gains now.

Seems to me they really want to slow the R5 core and void key farming, but why? Why make the game have MORE grind for items like that?