Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mu Zeta posted:

Check out Judd Apatow's new Netflix show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym3LoSj9Xj8

I did not spot a single black person in the trailer. Even when they are on public transport it's all whites.

So it's not the local?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

blue squares posted:

So I have never seen any of Gilmore Girls except when I used to mock my sister for binge-watching it back before binge-watching was a term. Anyway, I just watched the opening scene and I was grinning and even laughed out loud twice. I'm looking forward to watching something I always wrote off as a YA girls show.

One of us...

Just ignore season 7. It doesn't exist. And look forward to the netflix followup series coming soon!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shadowhunters is the most CW show ever made.

Redhead babe and a Latina with fake tits... i'm in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

hope and vaseline posted:

One of us...

Just ignore season 7. It doesn't exist. And look forward to the netflix followup series coming soon!

Krysten Ritter was in season 7. This was back when she always played the same ditzy character in everything though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Season 7 had its ups and downs but as a general rule ignore any ridiculous black and white TVIV poster "x thing i didn't think was perfect in every way doesn't exist don't watch it" and decide for yourself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

She was in more than s7 I'm sure. It's not dreadful but the show definitely loses something without ASP at the helm.

Gilmore girls is like Aaron Sorkin started having a midlife crisis during his best West Wing years and started writing about small town America, and it's absolutely wonderful and one of my all time favourite shows.

E: also watch Bunheads, equally off putting name and so almost as close. Probably actually more infuriating when it was cancelled because goddamn how could ABCF do that in hindsight.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 23, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I started skipping past the long conversations about nothing because they got pretty boring around season 6. I feel bad because I think Lauren Graham and the other one probably worked really hard memorizing them.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Gilmore girls is like Aaron Sorkin started having a midlife crisis during his best West Wing years and started writing about small town America, and it's absolutely wonderful and one of my all time favourite shows.

They actually filmed West Wing right next to the Gilmore Girls studio at the same time. The actors said they used to compare the amount of lines they had that week.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

Season 7 had its ups and downs but as a general rule ignore any ridiculous black and white TVIV poster "x thing i didn't think was perfect in every way doesn't exist don't watch it" and decide for yourself.

I usually say this but the showrunner herself acknowledges that she hasn't even watched that season and that none of the character development there will likely be referred to in the revival. The writing took a huge nosedive when it turned into a fast-talking parody of itself without any of the charm.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gilmore Girls is great, and although Season 7 is largely very bad it also has one of my favorite moments in the show (karaoke) and the ending itself is pretty good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Well season 7 is 130 45-min episodes away, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (in 2017). I also decided to give Alias and Buffy a shot, another pair of shows I have never seen.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

blue squares posted:

Well season 7 is 130 45-min episodes away, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (in 2017). I also decided to give Alias and Buffy a shot, another pair of shows I have never seen.

Buffy is legit my favorite show of all time (though I don't consider it to be the best show of all time), so I hope you enjoy that one. Alias is pretty good too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

blue squares posted:

So I have never seen any of Gilmore Girls except when I used to mock my sister for binge-watching it back before binge-watching was a term. Anyway, I just watched the opening scene and I was grinning and even laughed out loud twice. I'm looking forward to watching something I always wrote off as a YA girls show.

Is that the one where everyone talks very quickly? My mom and I used to joke that it was the only show on TV that had conversations as fast and disjointed as ones in real life.

Alias is one of those that gets pretty kooky. It's a fun ride if you're willing to buy into the things they throw out, but that can be a hard sell for some people.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 23, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Buffy's video quality on Netflix makes it look like it was filmed in the 70s. And the audio sounds like it was all done in a recording studio and dubbed in. What is it about older shows that the audio never seems to fit? Like they never adjusted the volume for distance for the camera, or something.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 23, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

blue squares posted:

Buffy's video quality on Netflix makes it look like it was filmed in the 70s. And the audio sounds like it was all done in a recording studio and dubbed in. What is it about older shows that the audio never seems to fit? Like they never adjusted the volume for distance for the camera, or something.

The production quality on S1 is terrible on almost every level (though bear in mind it was made for the proto-CW 20 years ago). Thankfully it's a short season and the improvement in S2 is massive and across-the-board.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bruceski posted:

Is that the one where everyone talks very quickly? My mom and I used to joke that it was the only show on TV that had conversations as fast and disjointed as ones in real life.

That's the one, it's essentially it's calling card. They used to joke just how huge the scripts were compared to most dramas, as there's like 2-3x the amount of dialogue to learn in the same amount of time.

The conversations aren't realistic, but they are glorious. And Paris is the best character ever, and the poster watching through for first time is about to discover that. And Kirk. Kirk rules. I think GG has more amazing and well utilised side characters than any other show ever written.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Kurtofan posted:

So that Shadow Hunter Netflix Original show is pretty bad right? Couldn't it make through the first episode, it's like a hipster Buffy the Vampire.

edit: correction, it apparently is a Netflix exclusive show in these parts, but in America it's from a channel called Freeform?

I checked this out and it's horrible. I don't know anything about the books but the story is like someone gave a computer all the genre tropes and then made it generate a book. Family secrets, old safe boy vs shiny new dangerous boy, unknown father (if you guessed that it's the main antagonist you'd be right ), etc.
However, I really enjoy looking at the lead actress so I might just suffer through it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So, the 100 season two is really good, except for the mount weather/blood storyline. Please tell me they do sometime interesting with it? I'm on episode 6 and so far it's predictable nonsense that I want to skip passed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Everyone should be warned that any show that comes from Freeform is really just ABC Family, which is a sign of it not being any good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

So, the 100 season two is really good, except for the mount weather/blood storyline. Please tell me they do sometime interesting with it? I'm on episode 6 and so far it's predictable nonsense that I want to skip passed.

Yes. It is only second to Jaha and his plot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jaha's plot is actually boring and terrible. But yes, poo poo gets real in the mountain.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Jaha's plot is actually boring and terrible. But yes, poo poo gets real in the mountain.

You are the first one getting pushed out of the Jaha boat :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Seriously. It's like, kind of amusing sometimes, but mostly it's just loving terrible. The worst parts of season one are (s1 finale spoilers) the scenes on the ark. When the ark finally goes away, I thought "yay, we're free!" but then they made Jaha side-story the new lovely ark scenes. The payoff later is worth it though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Gilmore Girls is really good

EL BROMANCE posted:

And Paris is the best character ever, and the poster watching through for first time is about to discover that.

You must be trolling me.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 24, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZr7gMG13wQ

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

blue squares posted:

Gilmore Girls' dialogue is what Buffy dialogue wants to be when it grows up, but it never will be. Gilmore Girls is fuckin' great. Watch it, watch it all.

Also, EL BROMANCE is right about Paris being the best. But it takes most of season 1 to get that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So, it's the Beverly Hillbillies?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Snak posted:

Seriously. It's like, kind of amusing sometimes, but mostly it's just loving terrible. The worst parts of season one are (s1 finale spoilers) the scenes on the ark. When the ark finally goes away, I thought "yay, we're free!" but then they made Jaha side-story the new lovely ark scenes. The payoff later is worth it though.

The thing about the Jaha storyline is that it has both the worst character and the best character in the show.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

X-O posted:

Everyone should be warned that any show that comes from Freeform is really just ABC Family, which is a sign of it not being any good.

Counterpoint: Bunheads

Counter-counterpoint: they cancelled Bunheads after one season

qed; gently caress Freeform

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a thread for Angie Tribeca? Just watched the first two episodes. Uhh. I admit the only reason I'll continue watching is that Quincy Jones-Twin Peaks spawn looks kinda cute.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

mike12345 posted:

Is there a thread for Angie Tribeca?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760581

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Lycus posted:

The thing about the Jaha storyline is that it has both the worst character and the best character in the show.

Jaha and Marcus, respectively right? Because I love Marcus, and it's odd that the show doesn't recognize how good he is.

Jaha should've been left to die on the Ark.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

blue squares posted:

Gilmore Girls is really good

You must be trolling me.

I'm really not, I forget it takes a while to warm to her though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm really enjoying MAD DOGS so far. It's enjoyably twisty and escalating. And a lot more enjoyable than the British one was.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PriorMarcus posted:

Jaha and Marcus, respectively right? Because I love Marcus, and it's odd that the show doesn't recognize how good he is.

Marcus is not in the Jaha storyline. You mean Murphy?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Murphy. And when Murphy is the voice of reason, you know you done hosed up. I hope that trend continues as a running gag throughout the show.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I hate the kid that plays Murphy so much :(

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

raditts posted:

Marcus is not in the Jaha storyline. You mean Murphy?

I've just seen Finn get killed. So I thought we would've been seeing Jaha and Marcus together a lot more going forward. Murphy is cool though. Him and Bellamy are probably the best of the kids. Don't really care about Clarke.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 24, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Murphy is the guy with the ultimate resting bitch face, right? I feel sorry for that actor because he is also evil in everything else.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Fix your tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

I hate the kid that plays Murphy so much :(

Why?

• Locked thread