Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Eonwe posted:

I'm guilty of making some hurr hurr bem fat jokes but I feel bad about it because honestly he seems like a good guy who gets to work for his hero and believes everything croberts says

When Ben figuratively is taking a dump in the mouths of star citizens, you have to remember croberts probably took a dump in his

No one on this project deserves a break imo. They're making bank off mentally ill people with poor impulse control. They encourage addictive spending with limited jpegs a hierarchy of backers entirely based on spending. Not even Money's hands are clean. gently caress that whole company.

Ben fat :lesnick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You know what, Logante is right! Non-combat ships SHOULD have lovely visibility, because its not like they need...

...it

gently caress.

Those aren't ships numbnuts. Look at the horrible visibility from a container ship for instance! It's…

…>180° waist-to-ceiling glass? drat.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You know what, Logante is right! Non-combat ships SHOULD have lovely visibility, because its not like they need...

...it

Excuse me sir, but I think you'll find Christopher Roberts knows more about space bulldozers than you ever will. :colbert:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Mirificus posted:

Notably Logante is a moderator.

*USER WAS PROBATED FOR THIS POST*

No, it totally has nothing to do with you making my opinion look idiotic. You were just being mean and trolling, and you know it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Those aren't ships numbnuts. Look at the horrible visibility from a container ship for instance! It's…

Good visibility is no match against crafty pirates :smuggo:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tippis posted:

Clearly not being able to see anything is both immersive and realistic. It's a shame though that the restrictive view makes it harder to see Chris Roberts' beautiful universe.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kakarot posted:

Lool only make fun of fat MEN. Doing it to gals gets you probed by white knight mods
You're a loving moron, holy moly!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously though I shouldn't have to watch this thread closely to make sure you idiots aren't cyberstalking some woman and being total creeps. I'm just going to hand out harsher punishments from here.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mr_jolly posted:

Why has the first ship got cooling fans in the nose? Are they supposed to be for sucking in the vacuum of space and blowing it over hot parts to keep them cool? I don't even....

They're not cooling fans. They're HYDROGEN INTAKES. God you idiots don't know the first thing about starship design.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
FAU what happened to the grinch? :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TTerrible posted:

FAU what happened to the grinch? :(
It's my Christmas avatar. If I left it up year round it wouldn't be special!

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's my Christmas avatar. If I left it up year round it wouldn't be special!
your regular avatar is you walking around irl, being the material manifestation of the concept of being a Bitch. ahaha. high five anyone

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Xaerael posted:

Ben's wife's job can be summed up in one word.

Nepotism.

Crobert's wife's job can be summed up in one word.

Nepotism.

See a pattern forming?

To speak more generally about this:

Is it nepotism? I don't mean that rhetorically, I'm honestly not sure.

If you're in charge of R&D at Microsoft and you hire your husband to do 'research' and you invent a title for him and give him a salary commensurate with upper-executive level pay - yeah, that's nepotism.

If you're a penniless programmer and you want to make the new, I don't know, Castlevania, and you Kickstart it - and your wife gets super excited and wants to be your art director - is that nepotism? When it's the two of you in a garage eating hotdogs trying to burn off the meager Kickstarter?

I think this illustrates why this kind of Kickstarter success is really weird and should be looked at very closely in the future, because decisions that small 'mom & pop' businesses make are radically different from an ethical perspective than those of a multi-million dollar company.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Mendrian posted:

If you're in charge of R&D at Microsoft and you hire your husband to do 'research' and you invent a title for him and give him a salary commensurate with upper-executive level pay - yeah, that's nepotism.

If you're a penniless programmer and you want to make the new, I don't know, Castlevania, and you Kickstart it - and your wife gets super excited and wants to be your art director - is that nepotism? When it's the two of you in a garage eating hotdogs trying to burn off the meager Kickstarter?

I think this illustrates why this kind of Kickstarter success is really weird and should be looked at very closely in the future, because decisions that small 'mom & pop' businesses make are radically different from an ethical perspective than those of a multi-million dollar company.

What matters is whether they can do their job. If so, and it's a private company then yeah, whatever. I've had summer jobs at the family firm, I did some fairly straightforward and unremarkable jobs as well as anyone else would have done, everyone was happy. It's when someone *incompetent* stays in a job they're clearly not suited to, usually a high level management position, that it becomes an issue of nepotism.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mendrian posted:

yes, its nepotism

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's pretty natural that a kickstarter would have some of the people closest to the founder working on it, because who the gently caress else would take the job at that point?

And that's pretty much all they had to say in response to Derek's accusations of nepotism. Instead they went where they went, and the rest is history.

They probably shouldn't be driving limited edition Porsches on the company dime though...

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

What matters is whether they can do their job. If so, and it's a private company then yeah, whatever. I've had summer jobs at the family firm, I did some fairly straightforward and unremarkable jobs as well as anyone else would have done, everyone was happy. It's when someone *incompetent* stays in a job they're clearly not suited to, usually a high level management position, that it becomes an issue of nepotism.

This is precisely what I'm driving at though. I'm not sure you can really say, before the millions of dollars started rolling in, that any management positions existed at CIG, because you need a team of a certain size to even really qualitatively say anybody is managing anyone. Now that they have hundreds of employees and people who had feelgood titles before are now *actual* executives, it kind of changes things, which is not something that happens in most businesses.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Mendrian posted:

Umm, Christ Roberts even said he was a rich man before SC came along(in the letter he wrote about Escapist). They didnt eat Doobies dogs ffs

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kakarot posted:

Umm, Christ Roberts even said he was a rich man before SC came along(in the letter he wrote about Escapist). They didnt eat Doobies dogs ffs

I'm not saying Chris was ever actually eating hotdogs and soup in the garage with his wife, I'm contrasting the difference between small/not-real companies founded by individuals versus 'real' companies with huge budgets. Shifting from the one to the other changes the bar for professional behavior, including nepotism. Hiring your kid to do your bookkeeping is acceptable when you're selling produce at the county fair, and not acceptable when you're the CEO of Amazon. I'm trying to highlight how weird it is when one company becomes the other, and trying to pin down where that line lives.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

FactsAreUseless posted:

Seriously though I shouldn't have to watch this thread closely to make sure you idiots aren't cyberstalking some woman and being total creeps. I'm just going to hand out harsher punishments from here.

thank you.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Didn't someone do the math and the speed you would need to go to be able to reliably intake enough hydrogen from space given the average density being like a few atoms per square meter is so fast that the hydrogen atoms would pretty much just ablate your ship to pieces?

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Kakarot posted:

Utter bullshit.
He even asked his bro for cash he was so potlesss

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Thread needs more cats

and I don't mean the :catstare: type

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Chris Roberts also said the game would have birds on planets you could land on

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dear Chris,

My love for you is like my degree, questionable and probably fake.

Love,

Sandi

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

Didn't someone do the math and the speed you would need to go to be able to reliably intake enough hydrogen from space given the average density being like a few atoms per square meter is so fast that the hydrogen atoms would pretty much just ablate your ship to pieces?
Someone did.

BeefThief posted:

Landing on birds confirmed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

BeefThief posted:

Is landing on birds a stretch goal?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wowzers

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

That's him in the cockles of my heart

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
There are some really, really stupid fundraisers on gofundme

I got a bit internet mad, but then I thought literally all of them are better than star citizen

o7

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

There are some really, really stupid fundraisers on gofundme

I got a bit internet mad, but then I thought literally all of them are better than star citizen

o7

What was the dumbest gofundme project you saw?

"Fund this project so I can clean the dryer lint trap"?

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

:stare:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/314651/interdiction-tech-being-worked-on-what-about-the-pvp-slider

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Justin Tyme posted:

On face value it's absolutely stupid. Like Nebulae, what SC fans think of as full of "space gas", are so thin that they make the best vacuums on earth look like molasses.

In relation to the window visibility thing, like why the gently caress aren't there view-screens or whatever poo poo. A game where players wear fancy 3D goggles to fully immerse themselves in a fantasy that in the future pilots would sit in a cockpit with even less visibility than what we have available now. Like just plaster the loving cabin with view-screens, have external cameras to create a model of where the ship is in relation to its surroundings (http://rydeenmobile.com/parking-assist/ you know poo poo that modern cars can do), whatever just make use of the fact that modern technology is actually better than this lovely future people are envisioning.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have a customer service story of my own. I bought Naval Action last week. For whatever reason something isn't working and I can't play it. So I posted something on their forums and then also sent a CS e-mail. Within 24 hours a moderator (staff member) has already gone through the basic issues on the forum, the CS guys had responded, and we had ironed out the initial issues. A week later I've had multiple back and forths with multiple developers even though they're in Russia. It's at the point now where I'm directly e-mailing a developer some logs. Meanwhile their game not only has a tool to report crashes but also a tool to check server connectivity. In both cases all I have to do is run the report and tell them the report number and they have all the data they need. The problem isn't solved but I absolutely feel like they're on top of things.

Meanwhile nearly four months later I still don't know I was banned. I'm starting to think CIG is ignoring me.

Ignored but never forgotten.

Daztek posted:

lol, spot the changes.

http://imgur.com/a/CRLrg

How can you control your spaceman controlling your spaceship if you cut even see the controls. :psyduck:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

EightAce posted:

Utter bullshit.
He even asked his bro for cash he was so potlesss

well hes got enough money now to lie to at least 1, maybe 2 oscar winners before hes back in the poor house again

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What was the dumbest gofundme project you saw?

"Fund this project so I can clean the dryer lint trap"?

GBS linked to some gal who wanted to remove her forehead tattoo

guess she needs the space

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
thinkin' of doing a SQ42 logo forehead tattoo

I could be the first result on a GIS for "star citizen forehead tattoo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

thinkin' of doing a SQ42 logo forehead tattoo

I could be the first result on a GIS for "star citizen forehead tattoo"

Get in touch with Sandi and see if she'll pay you ad money for it.

• Locked thread