Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Pivo posted:

the correct case is no case at all, the saddle brown people are the same kind who wear cargo shorts because "you can carry all your stuff" and wear socks with sandals "because i dont want to expose my feet"

putting a case on a high-end phone is like putting a car bra on your maserati. if you can't deal with a rock chip or both can't deal and can't afford to fix it, don't buy the drat thing

This should be stickied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Croc Monster posted:

This should be stickied.

this post sponsored by dbrand

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pivo posted:

the correct case is no case at all, the saddle brown people are the same kind who wear cargo shorts because "you can carry all your stuff" and wear socks with sandals "because i dont want to expose my feet"

putting a case on a high-end phone is like putting a car bra on your maserati. if you can't deal with a rock chip or both can't deal and can't afford to fix it, don't buy the drat thing

How dare you. Confusing the superior Saddle Brown leather case with (whatever Otterbox's most obnoxiously huge case is).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pertplus posted:

This is the correct iPhone case

this is the "i'm allergic to everything except organic grass and water" of iphone cases

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I don't wear condoms because I can afford tons of kids and/or HIV meds.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

bobfather posted:

I don't wear condoms because I can afford tons of kids and/or HIV meds.

i don't wear condoms either, i only put them on when i need them, you sick gently caress

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Seriously what is it with phones and cases and/or screen protectors. Do you guys put screen protectors on your cars? Do you put cases on your wedding rings? On your washing machines? On your laptops? Do you wrap your kids in styrofoam?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

bronin posted:

Seriously what is it with phones and cases and/or screen protectors. Do you guys put screen protectors on your cars? Do you put cases on your wedding rings? On your washing machines? On your laptops? Do you wrap your kids in styrofoam?

We have to buy insurance for car, we have many cases for rings, washing machine does not move. laptop bags are owned by 99.9 of laptop owners, and kids have insurance+specialized clothing for dangerous situations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
kids just have band aids and heal. if my phone automatically healed after being dinged up from concrete, then hell yeah i'd take this leather off

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bobfather posted:

You're wrong, especially when the phone is engineered to be slippery as hell and without any hard edges to hold onto.

This is how Tim steals your money.

Am I imagining things or did there use to be s way to post Facebook updates directly from the notification pull down. I don't see it anymore.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
People tend to look at you funny if you clad your kids in saddle brown leather.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Froist posted:

I was at the Genius Bar for an appointment today and, welp..

I'd better get laid this week.

Doesn't even protect the bottom of the phone. Useless.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

td4guy posted:

Doesn't even protect the bottom of the phone. Useless.

I have one of those Ringke cases that has little tabs over the 3.5mm Jack and lighting port. It's pretty neat.

Ugh I hate contributing to case chat.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is how Tim steals your money.

Am I imagining things or did there use to be s way to post Facebook updates directly from the notification pull down. I don't see it anymore.

It went away in like iOS 8 or maybe even earlier. RIP easily spamming FB and Twitter.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not anymore, but there are third party widgets like TapToShare.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I went caseless on my iPhone 5, and it was dinged to hell after two years.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
Babies are slippery and have no hard edges to hold on to and they shatter easily.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Rexim posted:

Babies are slippery and have no hard edges to hold on to and they shatter easily.

Yeah but that doesn't mean you need to protect them I just replace mine every time they're dropped. also as a bonus you'll never need to buy new clothes as long as you drop them often

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It went away in like iOS 8 or maybe even earlier. RIP easily spamming FB and Twitter.

Pretty sure that went away with iOS 7.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

my shitposting about cases was mostly for comedy reasons but if you guys are gonna get serious about it

Like, look, yeah after 3 years my iPhone 5 looked pretty busted up. I had scratches on the back and front, nothing that interfered with its use though and nothing you'd notice unless you were looking for it. The metal band around the edge certainly did have dents and chips taken out of it. It looked worn-in, dependable, like your precious saddle brown case. I totally shattered the screen once, which was a relatively inexpensive repair later in its life, and I also replaced the battery before selling it. I was completely honest about its condition, priced it reasonably, and still sold it for nearly $300 (I don't remember the exact price) nearly 3 years after I bought it.

I've had my 6S since launch and I've only seriously dropped it once, and it came out completely unscathed. It doesn't feel terribly slippery to me. There's a tiny scratch on the screen that I got within the first week of owning it, I have no idea how that happened, but I don't care since you can't see it anyway. Could I insure it and worry about resale value, or could I just use it like a depreciating asset that I treat with some level of care and repair as I go along? In all my decade+ of experience buying, selling used hardware, minor cosmetic damage has never hurt resale value enough to justify the up-front cost of insurance, nor has a case ever prevented the minor cosmetic damage I'm talking about. If we're talking about total destruction of the device, I think you'll find few scenarios where a case would have prevented it. You're usually just talking about a busted screen or some cosmetic damage.

Look, the phone is expensive BECAUSE it's thin and light. If it were twice the thickness it'd be less than half the cost. Why would you put a case and cover up the expensive industrial design you've paid for, only to hope to retain some few dollars more in resale value or to prevent minor cosmetic damage?

Rock out with your cock out, dudes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Well if we're realtalking, people should do what they want with their phones and not worry about the "goon consensus" on cases, screen protectors, etc.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I've had great luck with the magnetic vent mounts. for $5. I put the metal plate in my saddle brown case and it sticks very well.
I like the idea of a magnetic mount but I can't see how a big metal plate being pressed against my phone 24/7 wouldn't leave a mark. Does it?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rexim posted:

This man has a point. It would be really dumb to expand on what GOD GRANTED with some form of protection. No one would do this.
Or

Yeah maybe there are things these analogies fall down on.
I was anti-case up until the 6, which is so drat slippery the peace of mind granted by a little extra grip is worth it not being the thinnest phone around.

I use iPhones for iOS anyway, not to stare at their design.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pertplus posted:

I like the idea of a magnetic mount but I can't see how a big metal plate being pressed against my phone 24/7 wouldn't leave a mark. Does it?

I'm also staying away from a strong magnet millimetres away from my $800 thingy that depends on magnetic storage and stuff to work. I don't care how many reviews or "scientists" tell me it's safe, I refuse to believe!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flash memory has nothing magnetic in it, it can't do jack poo poo to your phone.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

xzzy posted:

Flash memory has nothing magnetic in it, it can't do jack poo poo to your phone.

Yes, but your phone does have a compass that senses magnetic North, so certain things related to Navigation may get messed up, especially if you lose GPS and data for some strange reason.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I drove a 900 mile trip back in September using my phone for navigation with it on a magnetic mount and I didn't get lost or die.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also that compass is pretty lovely in general so I'm not sure I would notice it being screwed up.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Gotta say that the official Apple PRODUCT(RED) silicone case is a really nice shade of red. It has a hint of orange that doesn't show on the pictures online.

I would absolutely get the iPad Air case in the same colour if it didn't cost a loving fortune.

Hopefully the silicone doesn't wear away too badly over time.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 24, 2016

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I drove a 900 mile trip back in September using my phone for navigation with it on a magnetic mount and I didn't get lost or die.

Your phone pretty much disregards the magnetometer if it has access to GPS or cell-tower triangulation data.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Well hey, I thought it used magnets to write and read binary somehow, now I've learned about electron tunnelling and I just understand that flash memory is, instead, magic. :psyduck:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

Well hey, I thought it used magnets to write and read binary somehow, now I've learned about electron tunnelling and I just understand that flash memory is, instead, magic. :psyduck:

The principle of HDDs is simple: storing data in the magnetization direction of magnetic material.
The principle of flash is simple: storing data in the presence or absence of charge in a semiconductor.
You could probably build a 1-bit version of each with a bit of research and some commonly available parts.

The problem is getting them fast, reliable, and crazy-dense. Leave that part to the boffins and trust that it works.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

Pivo posted:

Look, the phone is expensive BECAUSE it's thin and light. If it were twice the thickness it'd be less than half the cost. Why would you put a case and cover up the expensive industrial design you've paid for, only to hope to retain some few dollars more in resale value or to prevent minor cosmetic damage?

Mostly agree with everything you say. I particularly don't like the resale value argument people make. I should baby my phone because I'm worried about pleasing a stranger in the future? gently caress that.

you gloss over the consequences of a shattered screen though. Isn't that like a $130 repair?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bobfather posted:

Your phone pretty much disregards the magnetometer if it has access to GPS or cell-tower triangulation data.

It always does if you have a vector that's formed of two points whose possible error doesn't overlap. In clear outside conditions this is usually about 4-6mph. The compass bearing really isn't a thing with navigation, outside of a few apps that for some reason use it to orient your map.

Magnets can harm an iPhone, but only if they're strong enough to be pulling at ferrous components and breaking them by physical force.
Even with a regular HDD, the magnets needed to wipe the platters will destroy the drive physically before any data loss occurs.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rexim posted:

you gloss over the consequences of a shattered screen though. Isn't that like a $130 repair?

Depends on what model and how late in its life, which determines the availability of parts and their cost. AppleCare+ costs, what, $130? Each 'accidental damage surcharge' is $129? So you're paying $130 up front to extend your warranty and to have access to up to two $129 "I hosed up" replacements, whereas an out-of-warranty replacement is something like $300 from Apple themselves? I mean, that's an expensive insurance policy. It is exactly that: insurance. They wouldn't be offering it if most people didn't lose, or it wouldn't be profitable.

The cost of the screen on the 5 for me, IIRC, was about 60 CAD, through a third-party. Compared to like, 260 USD with AppleCare+? It's not even a question.

Get a credit card with nice rewards that warranties your stuff and funnel your purchases through that, make sure your home or renter insurance covers electronics, don't buy these additional warranty things... If you break your screen, get a new screen, that's your bad. Insurance for relatively inexpensive things like this (I mean, it's not a home or a vehicle or some ~30k piece of gear you use to run your business) is usually a losing proposition. But that's just my experience as a 'person who buys poo poo and worked in insurance at one point', I'm no expert. For me it doesn't make sense and my opinion is that it doesn't make sense for most. If you are a business and 130 bucks may as well be a rounding error and you don't want to deal with potentially non-OEM parts and all that, it makes sense. For an individual? I dunno. I'd rather buy a new screen than pre-pay for the privilege of swapping out my phone for a surcharge.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
GTFO with your common sense!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
how do people write more than 2 sentences in a post and expect people to read it

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

how do people write more than 2 sentences in a post and expect people to read it

I type fast. As for the expect people to read it part - I'm arrogant.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

Depends on what model and how late in its life, which determines the availability of parts and their cost. AppleCare+ costs, what, $130? Each 'accidental damage surcharge' is $129? So you're paying $130 up front to extend your warranty and to have access to up to two $129 "I hosed up" replacements, whereas an out-of-warranty replacement is something like $300 from Apple themselves? I mean, that's an expensive insurance policy. It is exactly that: insurance. They wouldn't be offering it if most people didn't lose, or it wouldn't be profitable.

The cost of the screen on the 5 for me, IIRC, was about 60 CAD, through a third-party. Compared to like, 260 USD with AppleCare+? It's not even a question.

Get a credit card with nice rewards that warranties your stuff and funnel your purchases through that, make sure your home or renter insurance covers electronics, don't buy these additional warranty things... If you break your screen, get a new screen, that's your bad. Insurance for relatively inexpensive things like this (I mean, it's not a home or a vehicle or some ~30k piece of gear you use to run your business) is usually a losing proposition. But that's just my experience as a 'person who buys poo poo and worked in insurance at one point', I'm no expert. For me it doesn't make sense and my opinion is that it doesn't make sense for most. If you are a business and 130 bucks may as well be a rounding error and you don't want to deal with potentially non-OEM parts and all that, it makes sense. For an individual? I dunno. I'd rather buy a new screen than pre-pay for the privilege of swapping out my phone for a surcharge.

Yeah I agree. You also pay a significant opportunity cost when you buy this poo poo for your tv, laptop, vacuum, and so on altogether. If you just saved up the repair costs then you'd have the ability to actually use the money at some point, and carry it forward to your next purchase when your obsolete poo poo doesn't break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holy poo poo no one cares if you want to use a case or not. Just that if you do, orange silicone is the only acceptable choice.