Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I had an '02 Focus and the reverse light sensor was also more or less in the transmission. What a loving pain in the rear end that was.
I should have just wired it to a switch that was connected to the shifter reverse pull ring thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's a fair price to replace the PCV valve and Upper Timing Cover Gasket on a 2010 GTI? It's at the dealership since I hit a massive pothole/went through insurance, and they noted some slight oil leakage from the gasket and wanted to replace it/the PCV valve which is also apparently on its way out for $500.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

NoWake posted:

In the story you're wondering about, it sounds like Nissan/Infiniti has placed the switch responsible for activating the auto-adjusting side mirrors (and possibly the reversing lights, camera system?) inside the transmission itself instead of somewhere more sensible.

I'd ask what kind of moron would design a system like that when you have to have a mechanical device outside the housing anyway (gear selector)...but then I what the answer is 'a car designer' and it is a rhetorical question.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The PCV valve is stupid easy to change on a MKV (like 20 minutes), no idea how hard it is to get to on the MKVI. The OEM part itself is $135 on ECS Tuning.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/ES2707418/

The Upper Timing Cover Gasket is :10bux: Again, not sure how hard it is to get to.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/ES2707418/

Seems like you're paying for about 3.5-4 hours of labor. If they're hard to reach, that's probably an okay price. If they're right up front, looks like an easy DIY.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

What's a fair price to replace the PCV valve and Upper Timing Cover Gasket on a 2010 GTI? It's at the dealership since I hit a massive pothole/went through insurance, and they noted some slight oil leakage from the gasket and wanted to replace it/the PCV valve which is also apparently on its way out for $500.

I can't help you with prices but you should have them check your timing chain tensioner and if it's not the most current have them replace that too. The tensioners are known to break without warning.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

spog posted:

I'd ask what kind of moron would design a system like that when you have to have a mechanical device outside the housing anyway (gear selector)...but then I what the answer is 'a car designer' and it is a rhetorical question.

The real problem is everyone assume drive train transmission when they are more than likely referring to the linkage of arms that is like a wiper transmission.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

NoWake posted:

Drawing parallels to a story I'd heard a while back:

Customer has a drive train warranty on a Nissan, and the slave cylinder goes out.
Slave cylinder is located inside the bell housing of the transmission, so the transmission needs to come out.
Nissan dealer won't honor the drive train warranty, as it only covers internal transmission components and not accessories.
Customer pitches a fit because how is an integral part of the transmission, located inside the body of the transmission, which requires removal of the transmission to service, not considered part of the drive train?
Nissan dealer eventually relents, I recall.

I had the exact same thing happen to me, but Infiniti never budged. I was five months outside of warranty but still 8k miles under the mileage restriction.

gently caress Infiniti. I'll never own one of their cars again.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Nissan: the Chrysler of Japan

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

kimcicle posted:

I had the exact same thing happen to me, but Infiniti never budged. I was five months outside of warranty but still 8k miles under the mileage restriction.

gently caress Infiniti. I'll never own one of their cars again.
Why did you expect them to repair it under warranty when your warranty had expired 5 months ago?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bizwank posted:

Why did you expect them to repair it under warranty when your warranty had expired 5 months ago?

Yeah, it's whichever comes first. I mean I'm all for good will but 8k out of warranty I wouldn't expect anything.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like the PCV is easy to replace on the MK6 but the Gasket is a PITA and after calling a few other places, it's not significantly cheaper. Parts cost for OEM stuff is $200 for the PCV and $15 for the gasket and since my car's in anyways for insurance work related to a pothole, they're going to do it for $400. I guess that's a win?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Is there any litmus test to determine whether an oil catch can is a good idea or waste of money?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

scuz posted:

Is there any litmus test to determine whether an oil catch can is a good idea or waste of money?

On what year ?

The e888 hasn't really been around long enough to tell if it's going to have issues or not. If only there was a way to keep it from happening. Say some sort of multiport injection system.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

On what year ?

The e888 hasn't really been around long enough to tell if it's going to have issues or not. If only there was a way to keep it from happening. Say some sort of multiport injection system.
Sorry, a 2002 Golf 2.0L. Been battling oil consumption issues and it passed a compression test, so I'm thinking either valve stem seals or some other thing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Audi RS Q5 is supposedly coming in 2017. Hopefully this bodes well for North America to get a RS4 sedan.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/new-audi-q5-rs-on-track-for-2017.html

quote:

New Audi Q5 RS On Track For 2017

A new addition to the Audi RS performance lineup is just around the corner: the Q5.

The high-performance SUV is apparently being developed by the company's Quattro performance division along with another powerful vehicle, the new generation of the RS4.

Sharing the same development space with the fourth-gen RS4 is not by accident, as the two should use the same 3.0-liter V6 twin-turbo engine, with a similar output to the newly-announced BMW M3 and M4 Competition Package models, at more than 450PS (444hp). The powertrain will replace the current 4.2-liter naturally aspirated V8 and will be adopted by the second-gen RS5 too.

Audi's officials are confident when it comes to sales of the upcoming Q5 RS and compare it to its smaller brother, the RS Q3: "We've identified increasing demand for performance-based SUVs in all of our key global markets. When we launched the RS Q3 we expected it to do well, but sales have topped our expectations. We think we can build on this with a larger and more powerful model", said chairman Rupert Stadler, quoted by Autocar.

Production of the new Audi Q5 RS is believed to start at the company's new facility in San Jose Chiapa, Mexico, joining other Q5 models, right after its introduction scheduled for the second half of 2017.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

scuz posted:

Sorry, a 2002 Golf 2.0L. Been battling oil consumption issues and it passed a compression test, so I'm thinking either valve stem seals or some other thing.

If I recall, the mk4 just had oil consumption issues. The rings themselves had a good bit of blow by, so I don't think a catchcan would be good for much.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?574779

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

If I recall, the mk4 just had oil consumption issues. The rings themselves had a good bit of blow by, so I don't think a catchcan would be good for much.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?574779

Yeah, but this is pretty extreme. We're talking "this is what the spark plugs look like after 1,200 miles":

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

bizwank posted:

Erk, I guess I wasn't 100% clear. I was still under powertrain warranty (70k miles / 6 years), but the "peace of mind" warranty they gave (4-year) had expired by 5 months. I fought to have it fixed under the powertrain warranty, but they insisted the slave clutch cylinder was only covered under the general warranty.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I'm having a weird issue with my mkIV Golf TDI (91,XXX miles) that just started today. It seems to be having odd shifting issues with the DSG 5 speed auto transmission, but only under certain scenarios. In particular, if I accelerate from a dead stop, it will get into 2nd and then not wanna shift for a while, even if I let off the accelerator. It sat at around 3k RPM before eventually shifting into 3rd and continuing along. The other issue is downshifting from 5th to 4th if I'm trying to overtake, but only when it's above ~1800 RPM or +60mph. When I start to lay into it, it will kind of shudder and bump at around 2 or 3 Hz and not downshift for a few seconds (or I usually just let off the accelerator because I'm afaid my transmission is gonna blow up.) Other any other condition, it shifts fine and feels smooth. I haven't tried to see if it gets wacky if I shift it manually.

Is my transmission gonna blow up? Or is it likely some consumable/fluid that needs replaced?

e. fixed

shabbat goy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 23, 2016

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

shabbat goy posted:

I'm having a weird issue with my mkIV Golf TDI (91,XXX miles) that just started today. It seems to be having odd shifting issues with the DSG transmission, but only under certain scenarios. In particular, if I accelerate from a dead stop, it will get into 2nd and then not wanna shift for a while, even if I let off the accelerator. It sat at around 3k RPM before eventually shifting into 3rd and continuing along. The other issue is downshifting from 5th to 4th if I'm trying to overtake, but only when it's above ~1800 RPM or +60mph. When I start to lay into it, it will kind of shudder and bump at around 2 or 3 Hz and not downshift for a few seconds (or I usually just let off the accelerator because I'm afaid my transmission is gonna blow up.) Other any other condition, it shifts fine and feels smooth. I haven't tried to see if it gets wacky if I shift it manually.

Is my transmission gonna blow up? Or is it likely some consumable/fluid that needs replaced?

Did you get the fluid and filter changed at 80k miles?

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Did you get the fluid and filter changed at 80k miles?

I bought it used at ~80k miles, so I will check the service records. I was under the impression that it had the 80k service, but maybe this didn't get done.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A mark IV TDI has a DSG?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

shabbat goy posted:

I'm having a weird issue with my mkIV Golf TDI (91,XXX miles) that just started today. It seems to be having odd shifting issues with the DSG transmission, but only under certain scenarios. In particular, if I accelerate from a dead stop, it will get into 2nd and then not wanna shift for a while, even if I let off the accelerator. It sat at around 3k RPM before eventually shifting into 3rd and continuing along. The other issue is downshifting from 5th to 4th if I'm trying to overtake, but only when it's above ~1800 RPM or +60mph. When I start to lay into it, it will kind of shudder and bump at around 2 or 3 Hz and not downshift for a few seconds (or I usually just let off the accelerator because I'm afaid my transmission is gonna blow up.) Other any other condition, it shifts fine and feels smooth. I haven't tried to see if it gets wacky if I shift it manually.

Your transmission is proper hosed. The mkiv doesn't use the DSG it uses the 01M which is a gigantic pile of poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

VW nerds up in here, obviously there was a typo/mistake... It's probably a MKV with DSG. Get the fluid changed and pray.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I'm confused (and probably dumb) because it's definitely a MKIV, but the 01M is listed as a 4 speed and I have a 5-speed tiptronic. Is it possible that I have the 09A? I will probably just need to check...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

shabbat goy posted:

I'm confused (and probably dumb) because it's definitely a MKIV, but the 01M is listed as a 4 speed and I have a 5-speed tiptronic. Is it possible that I have the 09A? I will probably just need to check...

Are you in the US? I didn't think any of the US mk4's came with that trans but I've been wrong before

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Are you in the US? I didn't think any of the US mk4's came with that trans but I've been wrong before

Yeah, I'm in the US and it does appear that US MK4s got them. After looking around, this seems to be a common problem with the 09A tiptronic around 100k miles and typically the solution is to replace the N92 solenoid. That said, I do have a friend nearby who's selling a 2002 MK4 TDI with the 5-sp manual for less than the cost of a rebuilt transmission...

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
So I've started looking at A 4 with the 1.8t and other than the trans issues which apparently all of the autos had. Is there any other major detail or flaw I should keep an eye out for? And most of the listings I have seen have a trans sensor out causing trans issues. Is this Craigslist bullshit or is there a common sensor failure for these cars?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

shabbat goy posted:

I have a 5-speed tiptronic

I think the confusing is coming from the tiptronic not meaning it's a DSG. Tiptronic just refers to being able to manually shift your automatic transmission (with paddles or via the gear select lever). You can have "tiptronic" on a car with a DSG, but it's also on cars with regular automatic transmissions.

(Let's not get into an argument over if a DSG is an "automatic".)

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Uthor posted:

I think the confusing is coming from the tiptronic not meaning it's a DSG. Tiptronic just refers to being able to manually shift your automatic transmission (with paddles or via the gear select lever). You can have "tiptronic" on a car with a DSG, but it's also on cars with regular automatic transmissions.

(Let's not get into an argument over if a DSG is an "automatic".)

I get the difference between the two, I was just trying to specify in case there were multiple variants of a 5sp auto (with or without tiptronic controls) and because I don't think the 01M had tiptronic control (but I am clearly not super clear on this.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

shabbat goy posted:

I get the difference between the two, I was just trying to specify in case there were multiple variants of a 5sp auto (with or without tiptronic controls) and because I don't think the 01M had tiptronic control (but I am clearly not super clear on this.)

But everyone read this and got confused.

shabbat goy posted:

It seems to be having odd shifting issues with the DSG transmission

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Uthor posted:

But everyone read this and got confused.

Fair point, my bad. Fixed. Interestingly enough, there were MKIV's that came with the DSG, but only New Beetles.

Checked the transmission code in the owner's manual and it's GPC, which means it's the 5sp variant of the 09A. Easier to service than the 01M, but still a pile. Please say a prayer for my stupid, lovely car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

While on the topic -- do people generally like the DSG? I've driven my brothers MKV, my mom's old A3 and her current Fender Beetle and they all have DSGs. They seem fine when you're on the road, but in slow-speed stuff (driveway / parking lots / etc.), they seem to be like you have a retarded manual driver, clunking back and forth with lovely clutch engagement practices. If it were just one car, I'd think there's a problem with it, but since it's the same in all three, I think it's just the feel of the transmission itself.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meatpimp posted:

While on the topic -- do people generally like the DSG? I've driven my brothers MKV, my mom's old A3 and her current Fender Beetle and they all have DSGs. They seem fine when you're on the road, but in slow-speed stuff (driveway / parking lots / etc.), they seem to be like you have a retarded manual driver, clunking back and forth with lovely clutch engagement practices. If it were just one car, I'd think there's a problem with it, but since it's the same in all three, I think it's just the feel of the transmission itself.

You've described my experience exactly. And as someone who is stuck in traffic (often) this is why I won't own one.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I only experience that in a fairly narrow rpm/speed range, like when I'm creeping along in Sport mode (which doesn't happen often). It's fairly unnerving when it does happen but it's also easy enough to avoid without impacting my normal driving habits.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

meatpimp posted:

Goober Peas posted:

You've described my experience exactly. And as someone who is stuck in traffic (often) this is why I won't own one.

Mine was pretty much like this factory, i got the malone dsg flash and its much smoother now. It also allows me to hold a gear up to the red line . I would highly recommend the flash.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Goober Peas posted:

That's the six speed in the more powerful cars too which is far and away better than the seven speed used in low power models outside of the USA.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

SouthsideSaint posted:

So I've started looking at A 4 with the 1.8t and other than the trans issues which apparently all of the autos had. Is there any other major detail or flaw I should keep an eye out for? And most of the listings I have seen have a trans sensor out causing trans issues. Is this Craigslist bullshit or is there a common sensor failure for these cars?

I assume this means B5 or B5.5. Control arms (4 per side) and window regulators are wear items and the 1.8t can have sludge issues. I did control arms at 115k km and regulators before 150k km. There was a dude at an autocross this summer that was doing control arms every 50k km. There are probably more but that's what I ran into on my 2000.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Hey guys, I have a problem with my new-to-me '99 TT where the interior lights don't come on when I open the doors. The car can tell when the doors are open as it shows up on the central display and the windows drop the half inch they are supposed to, and I can turn the lights on manually. Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas on where I should start to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

via
Dec 14, 2013

meatpimp posted:

I love my Mk.6 DSG but I have definitely come to associate it with slow and steady driving. My stickshift Saab felt like it was freewheeling in comparison, but I am definitely a much safer and controlled driver in the VW.