Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

Canadiens gently caress you. (From the nhl thread.)
But yeah. I keep trying to get my fiancé to read the WoT but can't do it. I'm rereading it for the first time since 14 came out and its pretty cool knowing where Demandred was this time through. Also Mat is amazing always and Faile, and Elayne are the worst. Egwene just upsets me because everything is handed to her forever and she's always looking down on Rand who is struggling to walk to his own death to save the world its just infuriating. Not a thank you for anything ever.

Which is all so much horseshit because in the end Egwene dies and Rand lives. With his harem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

broken clock opsec posted:

Which is all so much horseshit because in the end Egwene dies and Rand lives. With his harem.
Well I'm glad of that part. gently caress Egwene.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It was a pretty cool death though and she was basically the only major character to die.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
it felt unnecessary and forced in that respect though.

I wonder if it was Jordan or Sanderson who made the decision.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was a pretty cool death though and she was basically the only major character to die.

How dare you call Bela not a major character :mad:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BigHead posted:

How dare you call Bela not a major character :mad:

Stop triggering me!

Real talk: I was legit much more upset by Rhuarc's death than anyone else's. That was painful.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JawKnee posted:

it felt unnecessary and forced in that respect though.

I wonder if it was Jordan or Sanderson who made the decision.

It was Jordan's editor making that decision, I do believe.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Stop triggering me!

Real talk: I was legit much more upset by Rhuarc's death than anyone else's. That was painful.

Same. If they killed Mat I would been p mad though

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Siuan and Bryne, and then Bashere were the saddest for me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's also Gawyn. But my reaction to his death was more like "good riddance" or "about time!".

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Torrannor posted:

There's also Gawyn. But my reaction to his death was more like "good riddance" or "about time!".

Same.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So how much blame for crappy plot bits and characterization to we currently ascribe to Harriet?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Siuan's death hit me like a tonne of bricks. There are few people who had a job as tough as hers in the series and she gets literally no thanks for it from anyone apart from Bryne and Egwene. I really really thought she'd get out alive.

subpage posted:

I remember this as her being more of a "I'll put him in his place" thing. She points out a bunch of super obvious poo poo that anybody would know being raised in a castle, then uses it to try an take the lead with Matt. Once again looking down her nose at her "subjects".

Ugh, I hated that woman.

I'm pretty sure that someone needing a boil to be lanced or a soldier hiding away a shittonne of booze isn't usually behaviour you'd expect a Princess to be educated in.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

So how much blame for crappy plot bits and characterization to we currently ascribe to Harriet?

If your talking about the Sanderson books, I don't think it's that bad. Brandon was pretty good about blogging and answering in interviews about how most of it came from Jordan's notes. If you wanna see what Harriet has hosed up, go to a book store and leaf through the new encyclopedia book she just released. It's pure rear end.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Siuan's death hit me like a tonne of bricks. There are few people who had a job as tough as hers in the series and she gets literally no thanks for it from anyone apart from Bryne and Egwene. I really really thought she'd get out alive.

I'm pretty sure that someone needing a boil to be lanced or a soldier hiding away a shittonne of booze isn't usually behaviour you'd expect a Princess to be educated in.

And Mat and his band lieutenants were just letting that poo poo fester. It's very obviously a thing where you're meant to experience dissonance over what Mat's narrative is vs. what's really going on, like with Rand, and less obviously so with Perrin.

Of course, some people just resolve that dissonance by awarding all points to the POV character's narrative.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 18, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

And Mat and his band lieutenants were just letting that poo poo fester. It's very obviously a thing where you're meant to experience dissonance over what Mat's narrative is vs. what's really going on, like with Rand, and less obviously so with Perrin.

Of course, some people just resolve that dissonance by awarding all points to the POV character's narrative.

The next chapter is from nynaeve's perspective and she talks about how Elyane is purposefully pointing poo poo out that Mat was going to do already to piss him off so he'd do what she wanted him to do aka look at his foxhead

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

The next chapter is from nynaeve's perspective and she talks about how Elyane is purposefully pointing poo poo out that Mat was going to do already to piss him off so he'd do what she wanted him to do aka look at his foxhead

No, that's a Mat thought, and even then he had to mix in there some of the stuff that he and the redbands didn't find out (and this being like day 3-4 into a week-long ride). When Elayne's bunch are finally in their rooms this is Nynaeve's POV:

quote:

She claimed that by only telling him to do what he had to do anyway

which is a different thing altogether.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 18, 2016

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

They found both of those things with the One Power. Elyane expected to be able to call Mat out on a ton of poo poo but only was able to find things with the One Power that would have been hidden from any competent battle commander. Mats response was to shrug, lance the boil, and toss the booze. What really got under Mat's skin was how gaga his troops went over Princess Elyane.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Blind Melon posted:

They found both of those things with the One Power.

where was this stated?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

JawKnee posted:

where was this stated?

It wasn't.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RC Cola posted:

It wasn't.

I'm not sure where the Aes Sedai got a booze detection weave, but I want it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Delving could get the boils but lol if you think Elayne went around doing that, too.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

So ol' Terez did some digging and found out funny things about Taim and his -mandred involvement with Asmodean's demise:

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8767

I mean, it was obvious :colbert:

(:haw:)

Some good bits in there too about how flexible Robert Jordan was with ideas that seem so well foreshadowed, and a little more on how he structured his notes for those interested.

I always find it fun to find out "how the sausage is made" when it comes to media.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 19, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It finally makes sense what Demandred means at the end of LoC when he says to the Dark One: "Have I not done well, Great Lord?" I have never been able to find out what he was supposed to have done, but if he was Taim... it all becomes clear.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Torrannor posted:

It finally makes sense what Demandred means at the end of LoC when he says to the Dark One: "Have I not done well, Great Lord?" I have never been able to find out what he was supposed to have done, but if he was Taim... it all becomes clear.

I think that still makes sense absent the connection. He's just referring to getting Taim into position instead.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

There's some other spots that makes more sense too, but there's some argument over in Theoryland when exactly RJ changed his mind - could have been pre-release of the book or even several books later (or just when he could work in other "changes" to explain away some issues with the change that crops up in LoC).

Raises all kinds of interesting questions regarding Shara for example, RJ was kinda upfront early on about Shara not being an important plot locale (seems probable that this was one of the areas Sanderson had a freer hand).

The funny part is that *none* of this actually interesting stuff like these notes are in the companion :wtc:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 19, 2016

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The One Power enhances senses. She smelled it. Just like Perrin was able to in his camp. Two people with enhanced senses finding a soldiers hidden booze should be an obvious parallel.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hadn't come across this RJ quote before, interesting (mirrors certain characterization in the books too I think):

quote:

Originally Posted by RobertJodan
The next day in the orderly room an officer with a literary bent announced my entrance with "Behold, the Iceman cometh." For those of you unfamiliar with Eugene O'Neil, the Iceman was Death. I hated that name, but I couldn't shake it. And, to tell you the truth, by that time maybe it fit.
I have, or used to have, a photo of a young man sitting on a log eating C-rations with a pair of chopsticks. There are three dead NVA laid out in a line just beside him. He didn't kill them. He didn't choose to sit there because of the bodies. It was just the most convenient place to sit. The bodies don't bother him. He doesn't care. They're just part of the landscape. The young man is glancing at the camera, and you know in one look that you aren't going to take this guy home to meet your parents. Back in the world, you wouldn't want him in your neighborhood, because he is cold, cold, cold. I strangled that SOB, drove a stake through his heart, and buried him face down under a crossroad outside Saigon before coming home, because I knew that guy wasn't made to survive in a civilian environment.
I think he's gone. All of him. I hope so. I much prefer being remembered as Ganesha, the Remover of Obstacles.

subpage
May 27, 2003

Alea iacta est

Pretty sure it's stated over and over that Mat is probably the most competent military commander and officer the world has ever seen. I doubt he was letting anything fester. She just goes and points it out in front of his men so that she can show off and look good in front of his men. She was one of the most unlikable characters in the series really. Great at the game of houses, but a lovely person.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

subpage posted:

Pretty sure it's stated over and over that Mat is probably the most competent military commander and officer the world has ever seen. I doubt he was letting anything fester. She just goes and points it out in front of his men so that she can show off and look good in front of his men. She was one of the most unlikable characters in the series really. Great at the game of houses, but a lovely person.

Actually, Mat goes through the same process as Perrin does: he wins battles but doesn't run a competent organization until circa book 10.

He attracts the survivors of the Shaido siege of Cairhien to him because he was fighting winning battles (saving them and then killing Couladin didn't hurt), but never really accepts full responsibility and command of them in his head. He let his well-intentioned but rigid-in-their-ways subcommanders (the former nobles who started following him instead) lead their subgroups in his Band until those guys nearly all get killed by the gholam (with Talmanes safely aside assisting Egwene at Salidar). He took marching orders from Rand and then Egwene to go to Salidar and then Ebou Dar, but doesn't really start leading his men for himself until he finds the Daughter of the Nine Moons.

Then, without his noblemen subcommanders gumming up his organization he leads his men more directly, and wages a hit-run-fade campaign across Altara/etc to keep Tuon ahead of the Darkfriend traitors, and comes into his own as a modern era Great Captain.

Perrin's journey mirrors his, though takes longer--and does not conclude until his dealings with the Whitecloaks in Towers of Midnight.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Siege of Cairhien is probably the most underrated sequence in the entire series and every time I reread book 5 I'm blown away by just how great it is. I agree with the above that Mat doesn't really reach his full potential until books 10-11. Before that he's winning battles partly on accident (Siege of Cairhien) or doing it strictly to survive. The memories in his head aren't actually coherent. They're bits and pieces filling in gaps of his own memories and making a confused jumble from which he can extract great ideas, and later develop unique strategies based on the memories. But he was still fundamentally Mat and Mat found organizing an army and marching from place to place to be pretty boring and also the kind of thing a dirty noble would do. He wasn't super interested in making sure the camp was well run. He could win a battle despite that and his good for nothing nobles could oversee the day to day while he ran off on his own personal adventures. The camp only needed to be good enough and that's basically how Elayne found it.

Also, is Talmanes the greatest tertiary character in the series?

How do we even define primary, secondary, and tertiary in this series? I'd go with something like:

Primary - Anyone with a substantial number of POV chapters (Rand, Mat, Perrin, Super Girls, etc)
Secondary - Anyone with POV chapters in multiple books or is always right there in the action (Lan, Thom)
Tertiary - Has a POV chapter somewhere in the series, but most likely only in a Prologue and is present in multiple chapters across the series
Minor - Never has a POV and is relevant only in a handful of chapters or less or confined to a single book

Or is the series just too dense to even bother trying to label characters that way?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Siege of Cairhien is probably the most underrated sequence in the entire series and every time I reread book 5 I'm blown away by just how great it is. I agree with the above that Mat doesn't really reach his full potential until books 10-11. Before that he's winning battles partly on accident (Siege of Cairhien) or doing it strictly to survive. The memories in his head aren't actually coherent. They're bits and pieces filling in gaps of his own memories and making a confused jumble from which he can extract great ideas, and later develop unique strategies based on the memories. But he was still fundamentally Mat and Mat found organizing an army and marching from place to place to be pretty boring and also the kind of thing a dirty noble would do. He wasn't super interested in making sure the camp was well run. He could win a battle despite that and his good for nothing nobles could oversee the day to day while he ran off on his own personal adventures. The camp only needed to be good enough and that's basically how Elayne found it.

Also, is Talmanes the greatest tertiary character in the series?

How do we even define primary, secondary, and tertiary in this series? I'd go with something like:

Primary - Anyone with a substantial number of POV chapters (Rand, Mat, Perrin, Super Girls, etc)
Secondary - Anyone with POV chapters in multiple books or is always right there in the action (Lan, Thom)
Tertiary - Has a POV chapter somewhere in the series, but most likely only in a Prologue and is present in multiple chapters across the series
Minor - Never has a POV and is relevant only in a handful of chapters or less or confined to a single book

Or is the series just too dense to even bother trying to label characters that way?

I don't recall talmanes ever having a POV section.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

He fucks up a couple of Myrddraal and rescues Aludra and her Dragons when Caemlyn is overrun, right?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Lord Bude posted:

He does and it rules.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The band of the red shirts getting cut to ribbons during the search for the bowl was a huge bummer. :(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Atlas Hugged posted:

I agree with the above that Mat doesn't really reach his full potential until books 10-11.

The "lion on the high plains" type passages own so much, when he's finally together with most of the rest of the Band and organizing for the last stand with the Deathwatch against the Seanchan darkfriends legion.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 23, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I forgot that Elayne and Nynaeve spend the whole series thinking he's an incompetent moron. Also that Tylin literally rapes him

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

RC Cola posted:

Also that Tylin literally rapes him

Worst scene in the whole series right there.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

RC Cola posted:

I forgot that Elayne and Nynaeve spend the whole series thinking he's an incompetent moron. Also that Tylin literally rapes him

Dunno as a horny teenager I thought a woman going after you like that would be pretty hot

Once those teenage hormones wear off and the concept of not wanting sex every second of every day becomes reality, yeah, being forced to strip at knife point and forced into sex is very hosed up, especially with the 'you enjoyed that as much as I did' line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Two Finger posted:

Dunno as a horny teenager I thought a woman going after you like that would be pretty hot

Once those teenage hormones wear off and the concept of not wanting sex every second of every day becomes reality, yeah, being forced to strip at knife point and forced into sex is very hosed up, especially with the 'you enjoyed that as much as I did' line.

Pretty sure we have statutory rape laws for a reason.

• Locked thread