Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
This mighty bug is undoubtedly gonna mighty murder Enkidel, but I vote J anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
D + J

Smile. Pick up a rock and crush it in one fist. Say "May our differences and difficulties be crushed like this rock! Follow me to my soldiers, we will take you safely to our worker's carts where we keep a treasure fitting for your queen. Have you heard of the rarest of treasures, "amber"? We have a precious store of it, and would like to offer it in apology for our trespass. Tell me, what is the proper protocol for crossing your land? Your Queen is truly powerful to keep the demons of the wilderness at bay, but our fastest route home lies directly across her domain. How can we cross your territory in peace?"

Then continue to Tomn the insect good-naturedly. "I am thankful you speak our language. How do you know it? I tried my best to answer you using dance, but you are much more skilled than I! Was it a warning? Can you show me how to dance "I come in peace" once we have settled this tribute business? Have you seen our kind before? I confess I have never met an insect of your size, intelligence, and beauty. We use precious substances like our amber to decorate our bodies, so will your Queen realise how precious a treasure it is we are giving to her? Your weapons are interesting, do you craft them or do you grow them? Would you be interested in comparing your weapons to ours? In our society we have different classes such as farmer, worker, and soldier. Do you have similar classes? What do you do when you are allowed rest? During our resting period, we often talk with friends and drink a kind of fiery water. It has a strong taste to those not used to it, but if we still have some, would you like to try it? Do you mind these questions or do you prefer quiet?

Imperialist Dog fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 25, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Imperialist Dog posted:

D + J

Smile. Pick up a rock and crush it in one fist. Say "May our differences and difficulties be crushed like this rock! Follow me to my soldiers, we will take you safely to our worker's carts where we keep a treasure fitting for your queen. Have you heard of the rarest of treasures, "amber"? We have a precious store of it, and would like to offer it in apology for our trespass. Tell me, what is the proper protocol for crossing your land? Your Queen is truly powerful to keep the demons of the wilderness at bay, but our fastest route home lies directly across her domain. How can we cross your territory in peace."

I like this part, sure. Plan Imperialist Dog.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Tsyni posted:

Yeah hopefully they value amber as the giants do. I vote this as well

AlanFrost
Nov 16, 2012
J

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
To be clear, I do not advocate turning over all our amber, but a few pounds of it and act like it's the rarest thing on earth ...

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Tsyni posted:

Yeah I'm happy to go with this also.

We have no idea about the differences in cultural mores and what they might value. They may want to take two donkeys or five sheep as tribute. In which case, fine, no drama. Or they might demand twenty children, in which case we'll have to have another conversation.

We've been repeatedly told that we're undertaking an incredibly dangerous venture trying to get people home. We've been told we can't fight all the way home, pretty unequivocally. If this gives us some time without fighting, at a cost that doesn't compromise our core values, it's a pretty sweet deal. Which is why it won't be that easy, I'm sure.

El also told us pretty unequivocally to never bow to anyone else claiming godhood again, and that really doesn't seem to be something where the end would justify the means, but I think that's a separate question. If it's just a matter of giving up some of our personal wealth for safe passage for a bunch of new believers, that seems like something El would approve of?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Switching to plan Imperialist Dog

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
This sure looks like a plan. Plan Imperialist Dog.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
Plan Imperialist Dog

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Plan Imperialist Dog

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Plan Imperialist Dog

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
Changing to Imperialist Dog

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

I like plan Imperialist Dog

mostly because he uses Tomn as a verb

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Plan Imperialist Dog

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Plan Imperialist Dog

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Not gonna lie, I honestly expect amber to offend them.

"Where did you acquire our fecal material!? And why do you try to offer it back to us!?"

They probably crap amber, or something remarkably similar, is what I'm saying.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tsyni posted:

This

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Nah... not sure what to vote for... Don't want them to check our whole group out, because I don't want them to scare the villagers. Someone could easily get freaked out.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 25, 2016

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Looking at what they say about paying in blood otherwise and how we have a swarm, I think they are probably not going to claim people?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

+1

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I. Haggle like the silver tongued son of a king who spent his childhood in the market and resolves merchant disputes in his own village

Haggling stipulations: "I meant no offense with my dance. It is difficult to speak as you do with only two arms. I also know you surely meant no offense by calling my people a "swarm", for you unfamiliar with our words. I wish to give a gift, to show we mean you no harm. I also wish to give more gifts in exchange for food, water, and safe passage to the end of the Great Queen's lands. You may inspect our belongings, but my caravan has many young, and I cannot allow warriors to walk among them. I will move my people and leave the baggage so we may find good gifts among them."

If poo poo goes well maybe we can even ask them for directions (big bad things we should avoid, etc.)

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 25, 2016

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I. Haggle like the silver tongued son of a king who spent his childhood in the market and resolves merchant disputes in his own village

Haggling stipulations: "I wish to give a gift, to show we mean you no harm. I also wish to give more gifts in exchange for food and water. You may inspect our belongings, but my... swarm... has many young, and I cannot allow warriors to walk among them. I will move my people and leave the baggage so we may find good gifts among them."

this

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Imperialist Dog knows where its at.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Haggling stipulations: "I meant no offense with my dance. It is difficult to speak as you do with only two arms. I also know you surely meant no offense by calling my people a "swarm", for you unfamiliar with our words. I wish to give a gift, to show we mean you no harm. I also wish to give more gifts in exchange for food, water, and safe passage to the end of the Great Queen's lands. You may inspect our belongings, but my caravan has many young, and I cannot allow warriors to walk among them. I will move my people and leave the baggage so we may find good gifts among them."

If poo poo goes well maybe we can even ask them for directions (big bad things we should avoid, etc.)

This is a Good Post. Also, ask it precisely what offence we gave.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Slightly Lions posted:

This is a Good Post. Also, ask it precisely what offence we gave.

Trespassing in its/its Queen's territory, and mimicking it's dance, as the dance was likely some sort of warning.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
So, we arrive in a strange land where we don't know the language. First steps on foreign soil we proceed to mock the welcoming party. Welcoming party proceeds to tell us in our own language that we're an idiot.

Good start!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I was going to vote F + J but I will

Plan Imperialist Dog

Bandwagon instead

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Good Plan.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Deadly Ham Plan sounds good.

Lets put our decades of experience in dealing with petty disputes to use.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, I'll bandwagon onto the imperialist dog as well. Coming across as someone who is strong and potentially dangerous, and doesn't even realize that he comes across as dangerous is a good thing. Also coming across as someone who is respectful and interested in you/your culture but not particularly threatened by it is also very good. Coming across as someone who wants to be friendly and provide a benefit to you is good again. Dangerous, respectful and friendly are three great adjectives of someone you want to ally with.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Let's save the haggling for after we find out what tribute it wants. Haggling is a good plan.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
C C C C C . Maybe shoot *him* while we're at it. gently caress bugs.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

More or less this, yep.

I'd rather not make offers until we know what they want, and I'd like to establish that we *can* trade. I'd also like to casually crush a rock anyway.

If we're going to trade, we also need to establish that trading, and not just taking all our poo poo, is he smart thing to do, because the latter is going to cost them dearly.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Changing from J to This.

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
Plan Deadly Ham Sandwich

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Plan Deadly Ham Sandwich

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Important Tactical Information here..

quote:

Your Presence sense tingles and the Creature closes its eyes for a moment, then opens them and looks at you. It raises one of its claws and holds its claw against its mandible and moves it back and forth very, very rapidly, producing a strange buzzing sound. Which takes the form of a high pitched... voice?

He's not speaking a universal language, he's trying (pretty drat well!) to emulate ours. But how does he know it? We didn't smell lemons, so it wasn't mindfucked from us, and he didn't know it initially. Something happened there, and it didn't happen to us.

I think he just got knowledge uploaded from the brood. He's mindlinked with the swarm, which explains why a bunch of insects sent three guys to intercept rather than 300.

Pretty sure that a vote for outright violence is a vote for getting jumped by lots and lots of burrowing backup. Even if it's not in place now, our group is so drat slow that it'll be all over us before we escape.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

UppaTree posted:

Pretty sure that a vote for outright violence is a vote for getting jumped by lots and lots of burrowing backup. Even if it's not in place now, our group is so drat slow that it'll be all over us before we escape.

I agree with this belief, it's why I'm all in favor of taking a few more swings at that dead horse we call Diplomacy.
In No-Man's Land, we're getting picked off by some Jedi Demon. Do we also need hordes of warrior bugs chasing us as well and ambushing us from beneath?
Even if Enkidel and Snarls can perceive them coming somehow, we're the only one who can understand Snarls and we only have one mouth to shout warnings with.
Nothing short of Ball Trance would even have a shadow of a chance at effectively dodging dozens of attacks from below, and that's assuming we even still CAN Ball Trance, not counting the 80% vote to even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Imperialist Dog posted:

D + J

Smile. Pick up a rock and crush it in one fist. Say "May our differences and difficulties be crushed like this rock! Follow me to my soldiers, we will take you safely to our worker's carts where we keep a treasure fitting for your queen. Have you heard of the rarest of treasures, "amber"? We have a precious store of it, and would like to offer it in apology for our trespass. Tell me, what is the proper protocol for crossing your land? Your Queen is truly powerful to keep the demons of the wilderness at bay, but our fastest route home lies directly across her domain. How can we cross your territory in peace?"

Then continue to Tomn the insect good-naturedly. "I am thankful you speak our language. How do you know it? I tried my best to answer you using dance, but you are much more skilled than I! Was it a warning? Can you show me how to dance "I come in peace" once we have settled this tribute business? Have you seen our kind before? I confess I have never met an insect of your size, intelligence, and beauty. We use precious substances like our amber to decorate our bodies, so will your Queen realise how precious a treasure it is we are giving to her? Your weapons are interesting, do you craft them or do you grow them? Would you be interested in comparing your weapons to ours? In our society we have different classes such as farmer, worker, and soldier. Do you have similar classes? What do you do when you are allowed rest? During our resting period, we often talk with friends and drink a kind of fiery water. It has a strong taste to those not used to it, but if we still have some, would you like to try it? Do you mind these questions or do you prefer quiet?

Yes, this is just what I meant.

switching to plan Imperialist Dog