Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

jeeves posted:

I think the minifigures finally broke me, and I am going to no longer try to be a completionist. I'll just get the 2-4 best ones I like most each time.

I missed all of S14 already, bah.

That's about where I'm at. Especially with them being 4$ now, that's ~70$ for a full set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Maybe I'm a boring person, but despite my interest in LEGO having recently been reignited I'm not very interested in the original themes and find the more mundane stuff like City and Creator to be more my tastes. Also Star Wars of course.

I kind of burned out on City. I like the vehicles, but they get pretty samey after a couple of years, and they are obviously aimed at a lower age bracket so not much complexity.

I wish Lego would make more stuff that fit in with the Modular end of Creator, but at a lower price point. Like a $50 one story building. But they don't seem very interested in that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just focus on the must-haves then. There's only 2 or 3 in each batch that are really noteworthy.

I mean they're all cool and unique on their own way, but try to think which ones in 10 years you'll appreciate the most and whittle the list down that way. Like the guy with crutches, or the samurai guy? I barely give a poo poo about them right now. :v:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

smackfu posted:

I kind of burned out on City. I like the vehicles, but they get pretty samey after a couple of years, and they are obviously aimed at a lower age bracket so not much complexity.

I wish Lego would make more stuff that fit in with the Modular end of Creator, but at a lower price point. Like a $50 one story building. But they don't seem very interested in that.

OTOH, Technic looks as complex and interesting as it's ever been, even if the paneling pieces make them look a little more toy-like and obstruct the view of some of the workings. I really like how the Star Wars sets make use of Technic functionality to create cool moving parts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Glad to hear they are going to do a gray/blue x wing. I love the new build but hate the orange and black. It doesn't even look bad in the movie but it looks terrible in Lego.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is one able to purchase or otherwise obtain the black base plate pieces that come with the series mini figures?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Is one able to purchase or otherwise obtain the black base plate pieces that come with the series mini figures?

They're Part # 88646, you can get them $0.04 a pop on Bricklink.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I keep telling myself that I'll stop buying blind bags and just pony up a small premium for each complete set on Bricklink since they're the only Lego I'm actively buying right now, but then I just go back to grabbing bags at random.

I've started putting my duplicates in my office though, so at least they serve a purpose.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

NESguerilla posted:

Glad to hear they are going to do a gray/blue x wing. I love the new build but hate the orange and black. It doesn't even look bad in the movie but it looks terrible in Lego.

Stare at the black/orange one long enough and then blink, you can get an idea of what it'll look like.

I actually do like the black/orange one, but I might get the white/blue too just so they can team up and PEWPEWPEW the bad guys. Because I'm totally an adult you guys.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think I just nabbed the Farmer leaving me only needing Native America woman.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Maybe I'm a boring person, but despite my interest in LEGO having recently been reignited I'm not very interested in the original themes and find the more mundane stuff like City and Creator to be more my tastes. Also Star Wars of course.

OTOH the Temple of Airjitzu looks awesome; maybe I can find a way to get it without minifigs for a discount, since while I don't care for the Ninjago theme I think the buildings are cool.

Perfectly normal to be drawn to certain types of themes than others. A lot of AFOLs think that Ninjago and Chima and Nexo Knights are too weird, extreme, and gimmicky. Some people don't give a gently caress about anything but Star Wars. Some people only care about Technic. Some are crazy train people. You just like the city stuff--any Lego convention is going to have a large cityscape with Lego City, modulars, and custom buildings throughout.
My big problem with city is that while they do something new occasionally (like the recent Arctic stuff), a lot of it is police/fire. Over and over and over. Sometimes in a new setting. You almost have to go to Lego Friends to get a wider variety of City sets.

I went to Bricks & Wheels in Kent for the first time today, and walked out with a few 1980s Space sets that had just come in that day, including one I just missed getting on eBay yesterday. $120 for 6842, 6870, 6880, 452, 462, and 6929. Rough prices on bricklink: $15, 18, $20, $50, $35, and ~$50, so I actually made out pretty well. Whoever brought those in has more, and the store owner is gonna text me when they bring in the rest.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Glad you had a good time at B&W, I'm really bummed it took me so long to get down there, place is fantastic.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

These don't actually fit my criteria for collecting Lego Batmobiles (minifig scale), but gently caress it. They're the only other Batmobiles other than a McDonalds one which isn't actually a kit, and the Comicon exclusive set.

And they're kind of cool either way.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Feenix posted:

I've come to assume we all have a mountain of these things by now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Red posted:

I've come to assume we all have a mountain of these things by now.

I mean...I have as many as I have series figures, I just wanted to display some other minifigs alongside.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Spotted a chap in the Manchester Lego Store with a cane, top hat, waxed mustache and leather trenchcoat who appeared to be seriously enamored with Nexo Knights. Is there a steampunk equivilent of Jorts?

Third time I've been in three weeks and every time I come close to picking up Ghostbusters HQ, but resist because I know I don't have room for it. I ended up grabbing the little Star Wars Carbon Freezing set. I'm not a big fan of Star Wars stuff, especially non-vehicle sets, but this can be a nice little display piece. I'd love it if they did two or three more little Cloud City vignette sets that could be displayed next to each other. I want me a Lando, Cloud City Leia and Lobot to go with my Carbon Han and Boba Fett.

I'm not one for speculation and buying for investment, but my gut feeling is that this is a reasonably priced, small set that will really go up in value at some point because of the figures included.

Apollodorus posted:

OTOH, Technic looks as complex and interesting as it's ever been, even if the paneling pieces make them look a little more toy-like and obstruct the view of some of the workings. I really like how the Star Wars sets make use of Technic functionality to create cool moving parts.

The recent Agents line (which I have nothing for praise for and genuinely think set a new standard in design and stability) used a lot of Technic in ways that got me interested in it. If I had room I'd get that big Cargo Plane, but I'm also considering the Drag Racer as well.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 26, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gravy Jones posted:

Is there a steampunk equivilent of Jorts?

All of it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

Third time I've been in three weeks and every time I come close to picking up Ghostbusters HQ, but resist because I know I don't have room for it.

Just buy it and worry about displaying it later. I had to drastically rearrange my sets to fit this in but it's so worth it, the Firehouse is an absolute monster, it stands out so well and just catches every bodies eye. Kind of crazy how much this thing absolutely drawfs your standard modulars.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My firehouse is still sitting on the dining table. I've yet to decide where it's going, but the traffic light has already gone awol. :argh:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Feenix posted:

I mean...I have as many as I have series figures, I just wanted to display some other minifigs alongside.

Oh, good call.

You might also consider building https://www.flickr.com/photos/40949197@N00/14561067175

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

My firehouse is still sitting on the dining table. I've yet to decide where it's going, but the traffic light has already gone awol. :argh:

If I left mine out my daughter would be using it as her personal doll house. I have already seen her put the ghost to bed and help Slimer go to the bathroom as I was building it.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Spotted a chap in the Manchester Lego Store with a cane, top hat, waxed mustache and leather trenchcoat who appeared to be seriously enamored with Nexo Knights. Is there a steampunk equivilent of Jorts?

Third time I've been in three weeks and every time I come close to picking up Ghostbusters HQ, but resist because I know I don't have room for it. I ended up grabbing the little Star Wars Carbon Freezing set. I'm not a big fan of Star Wars stuff, especially non-vehicle sets, but this can be a nice little display piece. I'd love it if they did two or three more little Cloud City vignette sets that could be displayed next to each other. I want me a Lando, Cloud City Leia and Lobot to go with my Carbon Han and Boba Fett.

I'm not one for speculation and buying for investment, but my gut feeling is that this is a reasonably priced, small set that will really go up in value at some point because of the figures included.

The recent Agents line (which I have nothing for praise for and genuinely think set a new standard in design and stability) used a lot of Technic in ways that got me interested in it. If I had room I'd get that big Cargo Plane, but I'm also considering the Drag Racer as well.

What set is this? Because I'm not finding it on shop.lego

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The Carbon Freezing one? 75137 (http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Carbon-Freezing-Chamber-75137)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Is that not available in the US yet?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whelp I know what I want this year.

http://imgur.com/a/wRTGM

Reddit thread had someone suggest a price of ~300 euros.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody interested in set 31012, Creator Family House? I picked it up a year ago and never built it, I simply don't have the room for it and I would like to off load it.

It is NIB, I can send pics if you would like, PM me if interested please.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Apparently not. Didn't even consider that.

Here's the Brickset Link: http://brickset.com/sets/75137-1/Carbon-Freezing-Chamber

When this wave was released here it was the best selling toy on Amazon.co.uk for a few days.

There are two others at the same pricepoint released at the same time, still not available in the US

http://brickset.com/sets/75136-1/Droid-Escape-Pod
http://brickset.com/sets/75138-1/Hoth-Attack

I think they're pretty smart little sets. Can be either play or display and just nice little vignette's from the original trilogy with well known minifigures (as opposed to generic "battle pack" troops). Although the Hoth set really should have Chewbacca.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Droid Escape Pod is pretty great too. I think it looks better in person than in most of the pictures I've seen of it though.

Also holy poo poo Technic is impressive these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vulXB0TylBg

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

xzzy posted:

Whelp I know what I want this year.

Reddit thread had someone suggest a price of ~300 euros.

Porsche 911GT, looks like. I assume the stickers are not representative of the final version.

What I want to know is whether it'll have a functional gearshift like the old 8880 Super Car set I always coveted as a kid.

edit: wow, Bucket-Wheel Excavator...just as awesome as I'd hoped. And it looks like it's minifig-scale, too, at least to judge by the ladders and the control cabin. Similar price to the Mercedes truck?

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 26, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Porsche stickers are intentional, it mimics the camouflage makers use when test driving pre production vehicles.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I wish there was a big bucket of technic bits you could get like regular Lego offers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bricklink.com. :v:

As long as you don't care about color you can beef up your technic selection for a pretty good price.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

McDragon posted:

The Droid Escape Pod is pretty great too. I think it looks better in person than in most of the pictures I've seen of it though.

Also holy poo poo Technic is impressive these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vulXB0TylBg

Why is the video all wobbly like it's underwater? :barf:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Apparently not. Didn't even consider that.

Here's the Brickset Link: http://brickset.com/sets/75137-1/Carbon-Freezing-Chamber

When this wave was released here it was the best selling toy on Amazon.co.uk for a few days.

There are two others at the same pricepoint released at the same time, still not available in the US

http://brickset.com/sets/75136-1/Droid-Escape-Pod
http://brickset.com/sets/75138-1/Hoth-Attack

I think they're pretty smart little sets. Can be either play or display and just nice little vignette's from the original trilogy with well known minifigures (as opposed to generic "battle pack" troops). Although the Hoth set really should have Chewbacca.

Theses are glorious, I wonder when they release in the US

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Why is the video all wobbly like it's underwater? :barf:

Some kind of crappy auto stabilization software did that.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

The Rage posted:

Theses are glorious, I wonder when they release in the US

Word on the street or whatever is around March. Probably.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

drat this is going to be an expensive year, I mainly get technic sets and they fall ones all look awesome, unlike the spring wave where I am only going to get the mine thingy and the helicopter.

Ika fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 26, 2016

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
This Silver Centurion figure is amazing

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Those new Technic sets blow the current 2016 Technic sets out of the water. Holy crap.

I'm still waffling on getting the late 2015 sets which may or may not be out of print now. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

w00tazn posted:

Those new Technic sets blow the current 2016 Technic sets out of the water. Holy crap.

I'm still waffling on getting the late 2015 sets which may or may not be out of print now. :(

Crawler crane is awesome, and just gigantic for its price. (I have mine set up so it is dangling the TARDIS)
Arocs is nice, but I consider the crane to be a bit better
Haven't built the 24h race car, nor fireplane yet.
Arctic truck is cool
I have the original release of the race truck, so I passed on that.
The formula off roader just seems weird, never bought it and I don't think it sold well. Now its probably too late. I also skipped the motorcycle, more of the same old and worse colors than the last one.