Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Use plenty of lip and tongue action! :wiggle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

John Murdoch posted:

Use plenty of lip and tongue action! :wiggle:

Don't do this during your speech!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Today was a good day, introduced a friend to the short Using Your Voice.

You must be heard, you must be understood, and you must be pleasing!

Do I please you? Do you find me pleasing?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
This is where my tongue lives.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

G-guys, I had a horrible nightmare last night: I dreamt....I was Arch Hall Jr.! :cry:

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Jet Jaguar posted:

Today was a good day, introduced a friend to the short Using Your Voice.

You must be heard, you must be understood, and you must be pleasing!

I will not make the knee test!

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Extruded plastic dingus

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SirPhoebos posted:

G-guys, I had a horrible nightmare last night: I dreamt....I was Arch Hall Jr.! :cry:

AHHHHHH!

(I sincerely hope that the revival has another Arch Hall Jr movie. The guy's IMDB is loaded. )

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Hogama posted:

Oh, and you must have a wire rack!

People say "rack" to me a lot.

Dave, you is a warwilf. :downs:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I let Mr Boods pick out the experiments any more without any prompting (although I'm in a mood to see Fugitive Alien again.)

This week, he says he's found one about 'an incredibly melting man,' and would it be ok if we looked at that one.

Fortunately, I'd just had my breasts lowered and my hips pulled out at odd angles, so I pulled on my go go boots, made sure we have crackers, and told him, 'You've not seen anything til you've seen the sun through the rings of Saturn.'

We know a Steve (who doesn't), so the idea of a monster called Steve pleased him.

Melting Man is seriously one of my top 10. I remember when it was in the cinema, and my mom wouldn't let me go see it (to be fair I'm about the same age as the little girl in the film, and just the ads for the film on TV freaked me out).

ATCHKA!

PS I'd be all for more Arch Hall, Jr, films, as well -- weren't they planning to do Wild Guitar in the original series?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I wonder if we'll see more 80's-90's cheese fests over the 50's B movie style films. That seemed like the direction the last few seasons were going.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Cheesy groaners are almost always better. The problem with a lot of the 50s and 60s movies is that they were just so incomprehensible that you couldn't follow them and they just became boring.

Also, each passing generation is significantly less likely to watch a black and white film than the previous. No matter what it is or how good/bad it is, progressively younger people don't want it if it's not in color.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

holttho posted:

Cheesy groaners are almost always better. The problem with a lot of the 50s and 60s movies is that they were just so incomprehensible that you couldn't follow them and they just became boring.

Also, each passing generation is significantly less likely to watch a black and white film than the previous. No matter what it is or how good/bad it is, progressively younger people don't want it if it's not in color.

It's a shame, because the :psyduck: episodes are among my favorite.

As for the black-and-white issue, Rifftrax has done colorized versions at some of their live shows, which has even produced riffable moments on their own (such as in Plan 9 when one of the alien's face turns green for no reason).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
After they release the riff for the last Harry Potter movie, will that be the end of that part of their business? I enjoy making my own riffed version of big budget crap.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

holttho posted:

I firmly believe that no one can follow the plot of Red Zone Cuba. I've seen a lot of bad films, but that takes the cake.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brennanite posted:

I firmly believe that no one can follow the plot of Red Zone Cuba. I've seen a lot of bad films, but that takes the cake.

Let's see. I can't remember the names but Colman Francis escapes from jail. On the run he meets up with two migrant workers/ex-cons. They decide to join up (mostly at the threat of Colman but also knowing what it's like to be in prison.) One guy has heard that you can get some money ($1000?) by fighting against Castro in Cuba. They figure, once they join up and get the cash they'll split. It seems like easy money. They trade their truck to Cherokee Jack for a flight to Cuba. Unfortunately when they get there it turns out that the guy financing the whole thing (Chastain?) is only paying by check and after they win back his parents land.

They are forced to stay and train as a force to set up the Bay of Pigs. The operation is a failure and they get captured. They share a 'cell' (more like a stable) with a badly wounded Chastain. They find out that he lives up in the States and has a mine on his land [Goddamn it, I can't remember what it mined. Something unusual.] They are able to escape leaving Chastain behind. They steal a plane and head back to the US. It's a bit hazy for me here but their plan is to find the mine and I'm not sure. Rob it? Take it over? Along the way they rob and kill a diner owner (and in the uncut version, Colman Francis rapes the man's blind daughter). They hop a train and end up at the mine and meet Chastain's wife and tell her the bad news about her husband. They join with her to work on the mine. Somehow the police track them down. Colman guns down the wife and is shot dead from a helicopter. The other two are captured. At the same time Chastain arrives home from Cuba, alive (and of normal size) and finds his dead wife. -fin-

Edit: Tungsten. It was a Tungsten mine.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Ape of Naples posted:

Let's see. I can't remember the names but Colman Francis escapes from jail. On the run he meets up with two migrant workers/ex-cons. They decide to join up (mostly at the threat of Colman but also knowing what it's like to be in prison.) One guy has heard that you can get some money ($1000?) by fighting against Castro in Cuba. They figure, once they join up and get the cash they'll split. It seems like easy money. They trade their truck to Cherokee Jack for a flight to Cuba. Unfortunately when they get there it turns out that the guy financing the whole thing (Chastain?) is only paying by check and after they win back his parents land.

They are forced to stay and train as a force to set up the Bay of Pigs. The operation is a failure and they get captured. They share a 'cell' (more like a stable) with a badly wounded Chastain. They find out that he lives up in the States and has a mine on his land [Goddamn it, I can't remember what it mined. Something unusual.] They are able to escape leaving Chastain behind. They steal a plane and head back to the US. It's a bit hazy for me here but their plan is to find the mine and I'm not sure. Rob it? Take it over? Along the way they rob and kill a diner owner (and in the uncut version, Colman Francis rapes the man's blind daughter). They hop a train and end up at the mine and meet Chastain's wife and tell her the bad news about her husband. They join with her to work on the mine. Somehow the police track them down. Colman guns down the wife and is shot dead from a helicopter. The other two are captured. At the same time Chastain arrives home from Cuba, alive (and of normal size) and finds his dead wife. -fin-

Edit: Tungsten. It was a Tungsten mine.

But what about the game of dice and Coleman forcing a guy to smell his crotch? That was the emotional center of the movie!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

But what about the game of dice and Coleman forcing a guy to smell his crotch? That was the emotional center of the movie!

If I listed every emotional center we'd be here all night.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One little correction is that Cherokee Jack doesn't fly them to Cuba, they just go to some indeterminate place in the desert to train.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

One little correction is that Cherokee Jack doesn't fly them to Cuba, they just go to some indeterminate place in the desert to train.

I'm pretty sure he does. They trade their truck to get the flight from him. Along the way Colman ADRs a line about how one of the other guys is a pilot as well. That was so when the escape from Cuba they can steal a plane to fly home.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OldTennisCourt posted:

I wonder if we'll see more 80's-90's cheese fests over the 50's B movie style films. That seemed like the direction the last few seasons were going.

The best of the black and white films are things like Daddy-O, a lot of the 50s monster movies are just incredibly tedious.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

(and in the uncut version, Colman Francis rapes the man's blind daughter)
That's also Coleman raping and killing the woman in the opening of Beast of Yucca Flats, which has nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

I wish I could remember who said it, but my favorite Coleman Francis quote is "Coleman made films like other people cut themselves".

fake edit: also all three of his movies end with people getting gunned down.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

The best of the black and white films are things like Daddy-O, a lot of the 50s monster movies are just incredibly tedious.

Deadly Mantis was suitably fun.

Honestly a GOOD 50s monster movie is perfect fodder for MST3K, because they're slower paced but tend to have really weird poo poo go down that's easy to mock.

The best monster movies though are from the 60s and 70s. What I'm trying to say is, I really want them to finish the old school Gamera movies. They got all but two of them, and the last two might possibly be the worst of all.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Burkion posted:

The best monster movies though are from the 60s and 70s. What I'm trying to say is, I really want them to finish the old school Gamera movies. They got all but two of them, and the last two might possibly be the worst of all.

I don't think those were part of the Sandy Frank package, so it might not have the same charm.

I'm pretty sure he does. They trade their truck to get the flight from him. Along the way Colman ADRs a line about how one of the other guys is a pilot as well. That was so when the escape from Cuba they can steal a plane to fly home.

Mike, are we still in a plane in Cuba?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Look, man, you touch a button, things happen, okay?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Didn't know there were that many land mines left in Narnia.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The movie that dares to ask the question: Will he find the dwarf?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Frodo gets drunk and screws with his neighbors.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SirPhoebos posted:

I don't think those were part of the Sandy Frank package, so it might not have the same charm.

Trust me.

They're no better.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's also Coleman raping and killing the woman in the opening of Beast of Yucca Flats, which has nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

I wish I could remember who said it, but my favorite Coleman Francis quote is "Coleman made films like other people cut themselves".

I like to believe that Francis thought up this line as the perfect ending to his movie, "Griffin ran all the way to hell... with a penny, and a broken cigarette", then worked the plot out backwards just to get to that point.

holttho
May 21, 2007

There certainly are plenty of the black and white films that are fun and charming, just that in the general scheme of things for every Prince of Space, there are 50 Monster-A-Go-Go's. Probably more.

Unfortunately, they'll never be able to get any more of the Japanese monster movies. They only got the rights to them in the first place because the Gamera people had never heard of this little podunk puppet show, let alone "Minnesota"; whatever that was. But once the show grew in popularity, and they actually bothered to figure out what said puppet show does with their property, they got upset and started yanking the rights away. Maybe someday there will be new management that will be more congenial, but the outlook is bleak on that front.

Davros1 posted:

I like to believe that Francis thought up this line as the perfect ending to his movie, "Griffin ran all the way to hell... with a penny, and a broken cigarette", then worked the plot out backwards just to get to that point.

You could probably fill a book with movies made just like that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Frodo gets drunk and screws with his neighbors.

So Mike, this is a Magical Land....

I hate Magical Lands!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

holttho posted:

You could probably fill a book with movies made just like that.
That's apparently how Warrior of the Lost World got made; they put the poster together first and wrote the movie second.

holttho
May 21, 2007

It is pretty rad, to be honest

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Oh, I don't know...

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I found something on Youtube that's kinda cool. Someone uploaded footage they took back in 1996 of the second MST3k convention. Highlights include what looks like a DOOM tournament or something as well as a live screening of a short that was meant to be on a CD-ROM the guys were working on but never came into being.

The CD-ROM apparantly was meant to have a little flight sim on it as well as two exclusive shorts: Assignment:Venezuela (which is the one shown at the convention) and a short about Mylar that apparantly got lost when Best Brains moved offices and is now considered lost forever.

The footage isn't awesome and the sounds sucks (it's pretty much impossible to hear the riffs during the short but you can find it in perfect condition on youtube) but it's fun to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVIDfUe1fDE The rest of the footage is in the links on the side of the page.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

This appeared in my Twitter feed today:

Look, just come here!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This appeared in my Twitter feed today:

Look, just come here!

You mean Progress Island, USA?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

You mean Progress Island, USA?

Indeed! Even aliens from Mars are here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's apparently how Warrior of the Lost World got made; they put the poster together first and wrote the movie second.

According to the "Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films" thats how most of Cannon films were made.

• Locked thread