Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Norns posted:

I'll deal with a lot of poo poo. But saying the dead ghost of nando has autism is loving unacceptable.

Learningcurve will be the judge of that thank you very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

With formula 1 cars the argument against closed cockpit is that no one has found a solution to them trapping drivers with a car on fire.

Problem solved.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I really want F1 to go back to crazy invention time, when a team developed something crazy and they got a huge advantage because of it and other teams tried to get it banned if they couldn't develop their own, that's what F1 is for me.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MustardFacial posted:

Problem solved.

Yes, the addition of explosives on a F1 car is a really good idea.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yes, the addition of explosives on a F1 car is a really good idea.

not any worse than a deathly electric field that runs through the cars bodywork that can kill anyone who touches the car anyways

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
F1 would be vastly improved if it became more like The Running Man.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

El Hefe posted:

not any worse than a deathly electric field that runs through the cars bodywork that can kill anyone who touches the car anyways

Yes, worse. Relatively easy to isolate with rubber gloves/boots. With this you would need marshalls in full bomb-disposal suits.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Yes, worse. Relatively easy to isolate with rubber gloves/boots. With this you would need marshalls in full bomb-disposal suits.

not really

the explosives would only need to be strong enough to break the hinges or bolts or whatever is holding the canopy, rockets that send the canopy flying like in jets are not necessary.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

If they can figure it out with hydroplane boats which not only catch fire but also risk sinking at the same time, they can figure it out with F1 cars.

they should get rid of all the safety equipment on those boats. they should be prepared to die. safety is dumb and bad.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You may mock but this is just another thing that will be quietly dropped when no one will agree on anything that is another team's idea just in case it gives them some sort of secret advantage.

Just watched the FIA 2007 season review and it's like a magical story of a marriage that quickly turns to poo poo with bitterness and recrimination, cheating, snitching, the loss of £150,000.000, more bitterness, more cheating, and then suddenly Kimi.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love to poo poo my pants.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

they should get rid of all the safety equipment on those boats. they should be prepared to die. safety is dumb and bad.

They need to think of more ways to kill the drivers faster.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

El Hefe posted:

not really

the explosives would only need to be strong enough to break the hinges or bolts or whatever is holding the canopy, rockets that send the canopy flying like in jets are not necessary.

the explosives in exploding bolts are only a little more powerful than a firecracker, they're just shaped so they cut through the steel. Really, all you need is those and the driver can pop the rest of the canopy off themselves.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

El Hefe posted:

not really

And a flying bolt is safe how? Also, the crash structure would have to be strong enough that it can still be opened after a severe crash. I'm not sure how many G's a regular road car is exposed to in crash tests, but probably not as much as a F1 car and you still end up with doors that cannot be opened after a crash.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

And a flying bolt is safe how? Also, the crash structure would have to be strong enough that it can still be opened after a severe crash. I'm not sure how many G's a regular road car is exposed to in crash tests, but probably not as much as a F1 car and you still end up with doors that cannot be opened after a crash.

Let's get rid of seatbelts because I had this dream once where the person wearing a belt drove into a wall and was cut in half by the belt.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Just ban auto racing and hold the championship on iRacing.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

El Hefe posted:

not really

Exactly! Every car you drive today that has an air bag has a bomb directed toward your loving face FFS

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Just get a bunch of safety experts, give them a max amount of money their proposals can cost and do whatever they say. Don't let the teams have a say, there's more than enough boring gridlock politics already

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

You may mock but this is just another thing that will be quietly dropped when no one will agree on anything that is another team's idea just in case it gives them some sort of secret advantage.

Just watched the FIA 2007 season review and it's like a magical story of a marriage that quickly turns to poo poo with bitterness and recrimination, cheating, snitching, the loss of £150,000.000, more bitterness, more cheating, and then suddenly Kimi.

seriously shut the gently caress up

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Preseason testing can't come fast enough then you idiots can shut up about all this theoretical horseshit and get onto analyzing the glorious 2016 McLaren Honda car and how quickly it'll wrap up both championships

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

be nice wicka posted:

seriously shut the gently caress up

:troll:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

El Hefe posted:

I really want F1 to go back to crazy invention time, when a team developed something crazy and they got a huge advantage because of it and other teams tried to get it banned if they couldn't develop their own, that's what F1 is for me.

This is a good opinion

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Günther Steiner has to be up to something, watch Haas pull a Brawn and then Ferrari call shenanigans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Günther Steiner has to be up to something, watch Haas pull a Brawn and then Ferrari call shenanigans.

probably plotting how to more efficiently kill his drivers

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

And a flying bolt is safe how?

The bolts aren't going to be pointing at the drivers face you jerkass. They'll likely be housed in a carbon fibre channel to prevent the sheared bolts from bouncing around inside the cockpit. But go ahead and keep freaking out about easily solvable problems.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
gently caress this thread is even worse then usual atm.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

The bolts aren't going to be pointing at the drivers face you jerkass. They'll likely be housed in a carbon fibre channel to prevent the sheared bolts from bouncing around inside the cockpit. But go ahead and keep freaking out about easily solvable problems.

tbf i think literally everyone involved has decided that exploding bolts would be an added danger and are not the solution to being trapped in a canopy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I haven't seen a Claire Williams post in pages so this thread is indeed quite bad right now.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

This is a good opinion

Hell, it might be the best garbage he has posted in the thread

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Mercedes already has the technology to blow doors open https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMNVVHI2ZNg

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

F1 would be vastly improved if it became more like The Running Man.

quote:

Nico Rosberg: [to Lewis Hamilton] You cold-blooded bastard! I'll tell you what I think of it: I live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-drat spine!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

geeves posted:

Running Man quote

Hamilton to Nico after a Hamilton race win: "What's the matter now bitch, why aren't you laughing?"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wait so is Lewis killian or dynamo

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Farmland Park posted:

Mercedes already has the technology to blow doors open https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMNVVHI2ZNg

there you go they even have the tech and all

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I haven't seen a Claire Williams post in pages so this thread is indeed quite bad right now.

I'd explode Claire Williams' bolts, if you know what I mean fellas?

That work?

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
Hey does anyone else remember the 191? Man what a great looking car, amirite guys?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Somewhat F1 related... apparently EX F1 driver Robert Doornbos sells sex toys now....

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motors...2b0b11509fbb6e9

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Dudley posted:

I'd explode Claire Williams' bolts, if you know what I mean fellas?

That work?

Surely it would be your bolt that would explode?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

tbf i think literally everyone involved has decided that exploding bolts would be an added danger and are not the solution to being trapped in a canopy

Because that hasn't worked in fighter jets for the last 60-odd years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Barnsy posted:

Because that hasn't worked in fighter jets for the last 60-odd years...

you have to be some kind of retard to think that the standards for what's considered acceptably "safe" in a fighter jet are comparable to racing cars.

• Locked thread