Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Drop the loving hammer. Rachel Bloom won Golden Globe for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

Best actress in a television comedy/musical.

We very likely gettin a second season :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GOLDEN GLOBE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

sorry I'm really excited

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Two pretty great links:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAX5jVwHlHt/
The Sexy Golden Globey song.

Casting Spoiler

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Best performance by an actress in a television series, musical or comedy

Rachel Bloom, "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"

Jamie Lee Curtis, "Scream Queens"

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep"

Gina Rodriguez, "Jane the Virgin"

Lily Tomlin, "Grace and Frankie"

She beat out Emmy award winners for this. CW is going to back a dump-truck full of money up to her house. Sometime at Showtime is probably nervously awaiting a call from their boss asking why they passed on this.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Senerio posted:

Some shows have a policy of only having the last five episodes on streaming sites. :(

CW has a big money streaming deal with Netflix, so there is no way the whole shows are going to be available anywhere else.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Wow

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't seen anywhere reporting on Santino winning the world's most wonderful man award. Very concerning

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

pentyne posted:

She beat out Emmy award winners for this. CW is going to back a dump-truck full of money up to her house. Sometime at Showtime is probably nervously awaiting a call from their boss asking why they passed on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgj0hq7NavY

Six rejections in one day and once again Mark Pedowitz comes through to give a show a chance that no one sees a future for.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CeeJee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgj0hq7NavY

Six rejections in one day and once again Mark Pedowitz comes through to give a show a chance that no one sees a future for.
boobs.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Critic's Choice Award winner!

To celebrate people can now get into the show!

https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/688921820318150657

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I want this show back now. Why is that still another week away? I have forgotten if it's good now. Also I wonder if the ratings will improve now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

I want this show back now. Why is that still another week away? I have forgotten if it's good now. Also I wonder if the ratings will improve now.

Sadly critical acclaim doesn't neccessarily lead to improved ratings. Look at The Wire for example. Though hopefully The CW will do what HBO did and keep making it because the general public don't know good television so gently caress them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah. To be honest, I don't really care about critical acclaim at all and thought that The Wire was kinda dull, so there...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Looks like someone came to their senses. Hulu's showing all the episodes now.

So far so good. This show has a unique atmosphere between realism and Tina Fey-ian cartooniness. Hopefully the jokes continue to be of the same caliber as Hussle apoligizing to bitches

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Hulu'd it. Show's funny.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Stuck at home during the blizzard and started watching.

Holy crap this show is incredible. I haven't seen anything this good in years.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Something will arive soon...
https://zippy.gfycat.com/EvilGroundedIvorybilledwoodpecker.webm
It's a new episode!
A new episode is coming out today.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Five episodes in and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I really hope the low ratings don't doom the show :ohdear:

But the show is so good that Netflix would probably buy the rights to it.

Also the scene with Josh and Father Brah has to be a network TV first. A scene consisting only of two Asian-American (Filipino even) characters in conversation in a show not explicitly about Asians.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

gandlethorpe posted:

Also the scene with Josh and Father Brah has to be a network TV first. A scene consisting only of two Asian-American (Filipino even) characters in conversation in a show not explicitly about Asians.

There was an interview with Rachel Bloom where she talked about how much she wanted Diversity in the show.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/crazy-ex-girlfriend-rachel-bloom-tv-diversity.html

They'd always intended to make Josh Asian-American, but he was only Filipino after they cast Vincent Rodriguez III.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I won't get to watch it till around this time tomorrow, life is pain. Rebecca needs to stop trying to steal this likable retard's dull boyfriend and ride into the sunset with Greg.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 25, 2016

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I read this as:

EmmyOk posted:

Rebecca needs to steal this likable retard's dull boyfriend AND ride into the sunset with Greg.
Which sent me into a momentary spin trying to figure out what Rebecca Bunch's "The Threesome Song" would sound like.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Thank you cancer :)

I'm uncomfortable on behalf of Greg.

Brock Samson fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 26, 2016

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I think I saw inside of her :gonk:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Following American shows as they air is the worst, it's Hannibal all over again! Are the songs good this week?

e: Basically does Greg sing?

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 26, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

EmmyOk posted:

Following American shows as they air is the worst, it's Hannibal all over again! Are the songs good this week?

e: Basically does Greg sing?

Valencia and Josh this week.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Wow, that episode was so uncomfortable in so many different ways. And not just from Rebeccas perspective. Every character had several good resons to be irritated, especially Greg. I loved the part where Rebeca listed the non-Josh people she hunted.

But when Daryl came on board and it turns out that he idolizes White Josh it slayed me. I'm glad that he made a friend. :unsmith:
"I'm Greg. I read books and listen to talking radio stations." Roudrigez delivered that line well.

I still like this show.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 26, 2016

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
West Covina Reprise :woop::woop::woop::woop:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
This show just keeps getting better. The premise of coming back from hiatus and having Rebecca's whole house of cards fall like that was so effective and brutal with just that one little sliver of underlying sweetness this show does so well. Also that second musical number :wow:

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 26, 2016

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Air is lava! posted:

But when Daryl came on board and it turns out that he idolizes White Josh it slayed me. I'm glad that he made a friend. :unsmith:
"I'm Greg. I read books and listen to talking radio stations." Roudrigez delivered that line well.

Their interactions were great! I liked when Valencia was bringing up how one person was the cause of all the drama, and Daryl thinks she might be talking about him, and White Josh kind of shushes him and motions for him to lay low.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not a fan of uncomfortable humor and this episode was that on 11 so it just wasn't my favorite. But the resolution of Rebecca coming clean and explaining that she simply wasn't happy and needing a change, Josh understanding that and not judging her, and she finally admitting that she's been lying to herself was all really sweet and satisfying enough to make it worthwhile.

I really did like how they did that. Like, I laugh every time i see the show opening and hear the "Crazy Ex Girlfriend" song but I like that Rebecca/Josh just sort of realized that it wasn't REALLY about Josh, it was just about being unhappy and doing something to change that. Josh just happened to be the excuse that came along at the right time.

Rebecca having a moment of healthiness made me happy.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm glad they got that out of the way this soon. There was a real sense of catharsis to balance out how sad and awkward that ep was. 10/10

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Actually, the beginning was also quite nice. A low tune version of" I have friends" to kick it off.

"You didn't feel any connection to the vain yoga instructor?"
"She was fat." :geno:
Valencia is so clearly written as the person you are supposed to dislike. She's like an old timely Disney villain. But she pulls it off so well. Right now, she might be the only sane person on that show.
Heather still doesn't do anything for me. She was pretty much just a way to keep Greg busy this episode.

EDIT:
I am really excited to see what changes from now on.
Rebeccas character is really complex. The way I see it, she wasn't ever really in love with Josh. She was in love with the idea to find the concept of love to get her out of her misery. Josh was basically a convenient excuse. And saying that she left New York to get out of her misery was probably more honest, and reched deeper than claiming she did it for a guy. Admitting to throw aways your life for a person you love might be weird, but admitting to do it for a person who actually isn't all that important is even weirder. Basically there were several layers of self deception in her poor brain.
So far, Paula misinterpreted all of that and just kept pushing her in his direction. But now that he showed his kind side after everyone pretty much abbandoned her, Rebecca actually seems to have real feelings for him.

Of course all that interpretation might be wrong and it's actually just "Women can be so obsessed, amirite?" But Bloom seems like a smart and feminist person who thought things through.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 26, 2016

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Air is lava! posted:

Heather still doesn't do anything for me. She was pretty much just a way to keep Greg busy this episode.

Heather hasn't gotten much screentime yet.
Has she even had a solo or duet? All I can remember from her is a single phrase in the Christmas song and that was pretty atrocious. (both song and her part)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Air is lava! posted:

Actually, the beginning was also quite nice. A low tune version of" I have friends" to kick it off.

"You didn't feel any connection to the vain yoga instructor?"
"She was fat." :geno:
Valencia is so clearly written as the person you are supposed to dislike. She's like an old timely Disney villain. But she pulls it off so well. Right now, she might be the only sane person on that show.

I am really excited to see what changes from now on.
Rebeccas character is really complex. The way I see it, she wasn't ever really in love with Josh. She was in love with the idea to find the concept of love to get her out of her misery. Josh was basically a convenient excuse. And saying that she left New York to get out of her misery was probably more honest, and reched deeper than claiming she did it for a guy. Admitting to throw aways your life for a person you love might be weird, but admitting to do it for a person who actually isn't all that important is even weirder. Basically there were several layers of self deception in her poor brain.
So far, Paula misinterpreted all of that and just kept pushing her in his direction. But now that he showed his kind side after everyone pretty much abbandoned her, Rebecca actually seems to have real feelings for him.

Of course all that interpretation might be wrong and it's actually just "Women can be so obsessed, amirite?" But Bloom seems like a smart and feminist person who thought things through.

Yeah, Josh has been an idealized fantasy for Rebecca most of the season. A lot of his tv time has been about him being shown to be kind of an idiot and manchild. Rebecca just always had this idealized vision of him because he was this big excuse that fell into her lap right at a pivotal moment when she was having a personal crisis about what to do with her life.

A healthier person would have taken the random encounter with Josh as a fortuitous "sign", put out feelers for a new job, and just moved wherever it made sense after some smart soul searching. Rebecca isn't healthy so she quit and ran to West Covina to try and get back together with Josh. But it was always the idealized version of Josh. This episode her whole unhealthy bubble of expectations and delusions burst but Josh ended up being a really good guy who understood the deeper idea of what she did. So now she's able to not only admit that she loves Josh but that she actually loves him instead of just this idea of him.

And Valencia is unquestionably a terrible person and the villain of the show. I think she can be rehabilitated since its been shown she's insecure and she was genuinely bonding with Rebecca before all the Josh stuff came out. It will be interesting to see what the show does with her when she and Josh inevitably break up. They could write her off, keep her as a villain, or have her hit a low and need growth the same way Rebecca did.

That's an interesting thing about the rest of the cast. They're all pretty broken in their own right and reflect a lot of Rebecca's issues. In trying to help/deal with Rebecca both Greg and Paula have seen some personal growth and you can see the same thing happening to Josh and even Valencia. Or Daryl and Heather, even. Heather after all abandoned her "study" of Rebecca and instead decided to just be her friend.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This episode was such a disappointment because Rebecca still lied and the full truth didn't come to light. Josh and her are a terrible match so I really hope the show's aim is to help her get by that even though this episode ran very counter to that :smith:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

She was honest about the most important part though - her absolute misery in New York.

I loved the whole scene with Greg's seinfeld monologue about sand, its something other shows might play up as an annoying habit and it was nice to have everyone genuinely enjoying it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It wasn't cathartic for me because that reasoning is understandable so it makes it hard to believe people wouldn't sympathise with her. Josh being the catalyst and how in love with him Rebecca is is a pretty huge bombshell.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not a fan of uncomfortable humor and this episode was that on 11 so it just wasn't my favorite. But the resolution of Rebecca coming clean and explaining that she simply wasn't happy and needing a change, Josh understanding that and not judging her, and she finally admitting that she's been lying to herself was all really sweet and satisfying enough to make it worthwhile.

I really did like how they did that. Like, I laugh every time i see the show opening and hear the "Crazy Ex Girlfriend" song but I like that Rebecca/Josh just sort of realized that it wasn't REALLY about Josh, it was just about being unhappy and doing something to change that. Josh just happened to be the excuse that came along at the right time.

Rebecca having a moment of healthiness made me happy.

I"m not a fan on uncomfortable humour either which is why this might be my least favorite episode of the show.

It would have been a better come clean moment if she had just said "I hated my life and need to get out and Josh was just so happy about his home town and I love it"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sbaldrick posted:

I"m not a fan on uncomfortable humour either which is why this might be my least favorite episode of the show.

It would have been a better come clean moment if she had just said "I hated my life and need to get out and Josh was just so happy about his home town and I love it"

Yeah, but Rebecca's really not self aware enough to really sum it up like that. She doesn't have the clarity to say "I was unhappy with my life and Josh just stumbled in at the exact moment to seem like I had a way to escape."

I thought what she confessed/what came out was a good personal revelation for her. She ditched the orchestrated reasoning that she had been giving when her boss exposed it as a lie and instead said "You know what? I just wasn't happy. I was depressed and now I'm not." That's not just a confession to the group, its also to herself since she's been deluding herself all along (hence Paula being sick of it).

I honestly feel like the Josh part of it is less important because I don't think she was REALLY in love with him. She doesn't really know him. She was just infatuated with the idea of him, and more broadly with the idea of being happy with him.

EmmyOk posted:

It wasn't cathartic for me because that reasoning is understandable so it makes it hard to believe people wouldn't sympathise with her. Josh being the catalyst and how in love with him Rebecca is is a pretty huge bombshell.

Eh, they didn't really hate her or lash out at her or anything. Greg was clearly a little bothered by the whole thing but wasn't mean about it. Her boss just said "next time tell me, I'm good with secrets." Heather seemed her usually aloof indifferent. I think its reasonable to expect that given some time to process it all Greg will say "I get it. You weren't happy. I can sympathize with that." But at that moment he's not only dealing with Rebecca's lies but also the fight with the Josh and weird love triangle between them. It was just a crazy bus ride.

Plus everyone else being iffy about Rebecca allowed Josh to be completely understanding and stand out.

And Valencia's just mean and hates Rebecca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
What'd you all think of Vaseline's song? It's rough, because it's so damned mean, but it's also pretty on the nose, and not just about her.

• Locked thread