Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Oberleutnant posted:

Very little. Some of his prison writings, but not enough of anything to be able to discuss him with any confidence. I have a big gramsci reader at home and I'm tempted to make it the next thing on my list, but every time I look at it I wanna die for some reason. Is there anything that you particularly recommend?

I love Gramsci and I would totally recommend not even bothering with his stuff directly to begin with. Read up on the basic concepts (you can easily find online guides) and then go for some of the later Italian thinkers, like Hardt & Negri, Paolo Virno, or Mario Tronti. I'd recommend Hardt & Negri to start with. You might also like Maurizio Lazzarato's "The Making of the Indebted Man", it posits how the debtor-creditor relationship has replaced the worker-employer relationship as the primary method of proletariat exploitation (I addressed this in my dissertation which I think you've read?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

My unimpeachable reputation be damned: Planetes is the mythical Good Anime.

I'll allow it

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Starting that thread is my greatest regret.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I dunno, giving the forums a honeypot for all the nazis and attempted nazis is pretty useful.

Only shame is the Finnish swamp nazis won't stop leaking out of their own boggy ghetto.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's depressing that the UK is not the most nazi place in europe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is one of my worries about the EU. They've already shown that they're far more worried about far-left parties than they are about far-right parties, and as much of Europe moves further to the right there might come a point where the EU is a force that stops the UK government getting better rather than one that stops it getting worse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

there might come a point where the EU is a force that stops the UK government getting better rather than one that stops it getting worse.

I hate to tell you but 2006 was a decade ago

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Both those places are swimming with guns, old Soviet military hardware, and people with extensive military experience and a habit of fighting foreigners who invade their country. Here? Not so much. What are you going to do if a Challenger 2 rolls down the street, attack it with a kitchen knife?

Eh, I own a copy of Marighella's Minimanual of the Urban Guerilla, we'll (probably) be fine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

I hate to tell you but 2006 was a decade ago
What's this referring to? Data retention? RoHS? Eurovision?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's depressing that the UK is not the most nazi place in europe.

It makes me happy that we're not the worst

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

It makes me happy that we're not the worst

Yeah but we're kind of bad, that means there's a lot of places where it's much worse.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Well, yes.

Not sure where you'd consider 'good' to be honest.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Anime is mostly bad but sometimes compelling so you should watch it and then feel bad after. Akira is the exception to this.

feedmegin posted:

What are you going to do if a Challenger 2 rolls down the street, attack it with a kitchen knife?

Wait for it to stop on a corner for too long, laugh when the roadwheels turn up for scrap in cash converters. Alternatively, wait for it to fall into a pothole and never emerge.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Eh, I own a copy of Marighella's Minimanual of the Urban Guerilla, we'll (probably) be fine.

Same, it's a good'un.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

What's this referring to? Data retention? RoHS? Eurovision?

2006 Eurovision was pretty fantastic now you make me think of it. That was probably the high point. Everything since then has been freefall.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oberleutnant posted:

The plot looked interesting until I got to this bit

quote:

But in an example of a non-scientific idea, one character, born on the Moon, grew to be abnormally tall due to the lesser lunar gravity, looking like an adult at the age of 12.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I recall that exists purely for a joke and isn't referenced otherwise.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Oberleutnant posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but we're kind of bad, that means there's a lot of places where it's much worse.

I mean, we're not really that bad, comparatively.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

I mean, we're not really that bad, comparatively.

Well no, that's sort of the point.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Or even objectively.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The UK is, objectively, the third best country in the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe if you have low standards?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the UK is P. decent. as much as you guys like to think that the sky is going to fall down tomorrow, a lot of places are a lot, lot worse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose that depends on whether you believe the means of a state dictates the degree of its obligation to provide for its people, in which case we're pretty poo poo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
not compared to a lot of places, in fact not just a lot of places, but the vast majority of places

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pissflaps posted:

The UK is, objectively, the third best country in the world.

I'm intrigued why which two you think are better Flaps.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

LemonDrizzle posted:

There's quite a bit of coverage on Der Spiegel's English language site: http://www.spiegel.de/international/

Alternatively, come join the fun in EuroPol: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3624340 :unsmigghh:

Thanks

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm intrigued why which two you think are better Flaps.

It's not my list

http://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Categories include Cultural Influence, Entrepreneurship, Open for Business, and Power.

I suspect this is a list of "best countries to immigrate to if you are already pretty well off and want to be more well off" or something, in which case I can't really argue with them thinking that the UK is one of the best.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think the focus is on immigration is it?

It's just an objective measure of a variety of parameters.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think the focus is on immigration is it?

It's just an objective measure of a variety of parameters.

It's not immigration, it's worse than that, it's capital.

Methodology posted:

The 2016 Best Countries report and rankings are based on how global perceptions define countries in terms of a number of qualitative characteristics, impressions that have the potential to drive trade, travel and investment and directly affect national economies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I guess we'd better pack it in lads, we're objectively unsexy.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

'Cultural Influence' and 'Entrepreneurship' sure do sound like some completely objective parameters.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Well maybe we should come up with our own parameters and create a better list?

Come on gang, it could be a fun project.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Full communism? Yes/No. If no, get in the bin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It certainly comes off as a list of countries that are best for cosmopolitan types to swan around in and maybe get some business interests so they can lunch in London, rather than those that are best for the people than live there and have little say in the matter.

It'd be nice if, using all of those stats they collected, you could weight them for how important they are to you and it'd generate a list. Like say if 'income inequality' was far more important to you than 'favorable tax environment' or 'has a rich history'. Or 'sexy'.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Tesseraction posted:

As I recall that exists purely for a joke and isn't referenced otherwise.

Actually it means she can't endure Earth gravity so is basically trapped on the Moon (basically a cross between a slum and an international airport), iirc. :smith:

Planetes is legit awesome hard-ish scifi and actually somewhat topical given the increased concern over space debris cluttering satellite orbits.

I also believe Cowboy Bebop to be a valid alternative answer. Yes, in spite of that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Actually it means she can't endure Earth gravity so is basically trapped on the Moon (basically a cross between a slum and an international airport), iirc. :smith:

Oh, HER. Right yeah now I remember. Man it's been ages since I watched it.

Also if you like Cowboy Bebop but also like mondo baps then Space Dandy works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
this is what anime leads to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLmD_69pXpk

• Locked thread