Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Probably more like CIG called them up and said "Hey you guys already sell overpriced garbage to morons, right? Wanna double down and make some real money?"

That is precisely what happened except you forgot to mention the part where CIG gets probably 40% for promoting it and giving madcatz access to their mailing-list-o-retards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol these people have brain problems

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That twitter meltdown is amazing.

So if I read it right, this guy is a community manager? Is he actually employed, or white-knighting for free?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

fuctifino posted:

That twitter meltdown is amazing.

So if I read it right, this guy is a community manager? Is he actually employed, or white-knighting for free?

Prolly just one of the mods. Even so, wonder which one lol.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

That is precisely what happened except you forgot to mention the part where CIG gets probably 40% for promoting it and giving madcatz access to their mailing-list-o-retards.

That's true I did forget that part.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there more to today's news than a major dev leaving the project? i missed a lot of posts.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who is the dude that's being talked about?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This looks to be the guy. He appears to be just a regular user :( https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/12858/real_lethality

e: I can't post on the forums, but I can apparently leave comments on people's profiles. hhhmmmm

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 27, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

G0RF posted:

Alright gents, this is a bloody long Effort Post that remains, despite considerable time spent, incomplete. But I figured it would be worth putting some of the key Star Marine dates into a single hyperlinked timeline. Forgive me in advance for minor errors. I know most of this isn't news to the Regulars here; my hope is to enlighten the casual visitors, particularly those who are skeptical of our skepticism. I may be overestimating the power of deductive reasoning here.

If so, drat you hopelessly irrational nerds! :argh:

Okay, here we go!

---

This is the end of my incomplete timeline. Sorry for the wall of words. I hope to redeem myself with this video I've been working on forever. Two weeks.

GORF out!

Great summary :)

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

fuctifino posted:

This looks to be the guy. He appears to be just a regular user :( https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/12858/real_lethality

e: I can't post on the forums, but I can apparently leave comments on people's profiles. hhhmmmm

wife aggro man

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Some of the animals were disturbed when they heard that they already owned Squadron 42.

Boxer passed it o ff as usual with `Chris is always right!', but Clover, who thought she remembered a de finite promise went to the end of the barn and tried to puzzle out some previous statements from the Chairman.

Finding herself unable to understand little more than waving hands, she fetched Muriel.

`Muriel,' she said, `Did Chris not say "Where Star Marine differs from Arena Commander is that we’re not launching it in its most basic game. Instead, we’re trying for something more. It includes animation fidelity and attention to detail that you wouldn’t normally expect in an “alpha” gameplay module. There’s even an entire sci-fi sports game with zero-G movement fully simulated and animated in there!"?

Muriel spelt it out. `It says, "So, with the Alpha 2.0 onwards, you have basically what we were planning to do with Star Citizen from the very very very beginning.".

Clover tried but could not reconcile the two statements.

'Clover' Muriel said, 'They ARE making good progress, but it's only really visible to those of us who are willing to forget their words from before and focus on their current words.'

This got quoted once, but it deserves more love.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuctifino posted:

http://resumes.actorsaccess.com/sandigardiner

Sandi has a new thing listed on her resume site called 'Lagos 2035'. There is nothing on IMDB, and hardly any mention of it on google. The most detailed description I got was from the site of one of the other actors: http://www.dinawilson.com/

Wasn't that the time when Sandi 'I never take a day off' Gardiner was sporting that fake tattoo on her neck? Wasn't November a busy time for CIG? Weren't there months worth of CS tickets to respond to, and JPG ships to market?
She's had the fake tattoos on at least three occasions-- the first in that Reverse the Verse from awhile ago where she arrived to work at noon sporting tattoos and Ben helpfully explained to the curious viewers that she was auditioning and often did so. Sandi talked about the role she was born to play (as a 'feral viper'), then told a story about her past career as a science teacher.

She was also tatted up for the holiday livestream (in December) but she dressed heavy to cover it up since she realized she's be corroborating the Escapist story and providing fodder for the anonymous hate campaign. There was at least one other before that time I think but I can't remember if it was November.

I had assumed the tattoos were for her part in 'The Eighth House' but who knows. It's weird that it seems like she's been Type cast as a tattoo lady. She needs to get a better agent so she can land a part in higher quality programming...

Oh wait- she's in Squadron 42 acting alongside some real pros-- so her agent must be GREAT!

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

:prepop:

Glory to the Stimpire!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fuctifino posted:

Lethality you say? MMmmm, where have I heard that name? (don't read the next quoute, it's poo poo, the point is that the dude is deep down the rabbit hole).

quote:

Lethality_High Admiral -2 points an hour ago

I felt compelled to write an open reply here.

The concerns stated are from the point of view of a relatively new backer and from someone without a lot of insight into game development. And that’s not his fault, most people don’t. But it’s very important to consider what’s in (and what’s missing from) that post due to this.

First, it’s important to understand that Star Citizen is only just now passing the 3-year mark for development. This is where other triple-A games from a traditional publisher would possibly begin to just be announced to the public. And none of them come out of the gate with a public Alpha with the scale and scope of what CIG has released so far with Alpha 2.1. Given that, CIG is further ahead of the curve than a triple-A development project - and they’re developing two triple-A games during the same time period.

During these 3+ years of triple-A design and development of other games - which is done behind closed doors - many things happen. Designs are built. Designs are thrown away. Employees leave. New designs are implemented. Employees are hired. Schedules change as timelines are affected. The entire time, the developers are working to find the basis of the game - but it has to be an iterative process. That’s why they don’t talk about it or show anything publicly until years into development. With Star Citizen, we got to see all of that out in the wide-open.

Getting back to Star Marine, it’s clearly been one of the things that has been shifted around on the roadmap. It hasn’t been cancelled, and anyone putting those words into CIG’s mouth is being disingenuous - you’re basically calling them liars.

The Star Marine game mode is clearly less critical to the overall project now than it once was. Originally, the plan for Star Marine was to have an FPS test bed for mechanics and balance, similar to Arena Commander. As a side effect of, players could have some fun, claw their way up the leader boards and bide some time until more proper Star Citizen systems were available.

All the while, development of those more proper Star Citizen systems was continuing. Not only was core technology being developed, like the Large World maps tech, but other gameplay features such as missions, grouping, landing, social spaces and more were being prepped for release with ArcCorp and — much to everyone’s surprise — delivery of the Baby PU late last year. Going back to Chris’ original announcement presentation at GDC 2012, that is precisely when he predicted an Alpha of the Star Citizen PU would be available.

Since core development had continued in the primary development stream, FPS made it’s debut in the Baby PU instead of Star Marine. There was no reason to hold it up when CIG could integrate it and get the data they were originally going to get from Star Marine. In the end, why would any backer at all prefer to see resources diverted to Star Marine when the Persistent Universe is the place those mechanics will ultimately serve?

CIG is still working on Star Marine and still intends to release it at the right time when it’s ready - for them, and for players. Again, anything else you read is false.

I’ve already gone on longer than planned, so I just want to close with this.

We’re all intelligent people. We all know there are risks with crowdfunded projects. Heck there are risks with publisher-funded triple-A projects too! See Blizzard’s cancelled MMO for one example. So we’re smart enough to know what we’re getting into before we plunk down that money. And once we do, we are agreeing to shoulder the risk. We don’t need some self-aggrandizing megalomanic or anyone else to tell us.

This is new ground… we’ve never been here before. Ask questions. Pay attention. Be skeptical even. But don’t be a jackass. They are making a game that has never been made before, and we’re seeing it happen like we never have before either. As for me, I am backing a vision, and putting faith in leadership to build a team and studio to bring that vision to life. I am not merely buying a video game ahead of release.

He made a new thread to "reply" to the points made in the most posted thread currently at reddit.

quote:

We’re all intelligent people. We all know there are risks with crowdfunded projects. Heck there are risks with publisher-funded triple-A projects too! See Blizzard’s cancelled MMO for one example. So we’re smart enough to know what we’re getting into before we plunk down that money. And once we do, we are agreeing to shoulder the risk. We don’t need some self-aggrandizing megalomanic or anyone else to tell us.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 27, 2016

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

I missed it :smith:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

spacetoaster posted:

Somebody should do this gif with a star marine helmet, or something.

I really laughed at that!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Are you stating that CR that is building his dream space sim is wrong ?

PVP by consent only or refund

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

I had assumed the tattoos were for her part in 'The Eighth House' but who knows.

I thought so as well. I hadn't head of LAGOS 2035 before, and a 'feral viper' sounds far more suited to futuristic-dystopian bladerunner copy than a character in Eighth House (after reading the plot).

Who knew that she had enough spare time to work on two movies while also doing 7 jobs at CIG?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 27, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol these people think the "pvp slider" is gonna make the cut

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Lmao the pvp slider is such a great idea, is it a feature they've said they'd add?

"I want to fight other players, but only when it's completely optimal for me"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kakarot posted:

:prepop:

Glory to the Stimpire!!

:chanpop:

good god it looks disturbing all blown up like that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

padijun posted:

Lmao the pvp slider is such a great idea, is it a feature they've said they'd add?

"I want to fight other players, but only when it's completely optimal for me"

It's a slider. It's more like "I want to fight a few players, not too many tho, 17.67% on the slider should be ok.".

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

trucutru posted:

It's a slider. It's more like "I want to fight a few players, not too many tho, 17.67% on the slider should be ok.".

Ya that's the part I don't get. Like PvP isn't some magical new concept. MMOs have had PVP before. It's either allowed where you are, or it's not. So what the hell is the point of a slider?

VV. Fidelity

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

satanball is in fuckers

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

caught up finally. wow, two key resignations in the last 24 hours? poo poo its really happening isnt it. i cant look away.

hey Big Games Media how does it feel knowing derek loving smart king of all cosmos beat you to the punch

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

SquirrelGrip posted:

satanball is in fuckers

Ha ha ha ha. Holy poo poo. Chris Roberts is a genius. How does he keep slipping these hidden gems in.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

El Spamo posted:

I was going to send my kid to college but now that the thread is 1509 i think i should invest in star citizen. Turret gunner is a good career amirite?

Within a few short years, Star Citizen will become the career of the future for the children of our nation. You see, Christ Croberts has told us that you can earn a Constellation in as little as 40 hours of gameplay. He has also told us that a Constellation is worth $250. That's already $6.25 an hour, which isn't too shabby, but that's starting from scratch. Considering a typical MMO has an experienced, well equipped, high end player earning at least 50 to 100x what a newbie shithead in the worst and most horrible ship could earn (consider that the Hull Type E has 1,280,000 times the cargo capacity of some ships, this 50 to 100x seems almost naive), this means that once your children spend a few weeks becoming established in the 'Verse, they should easily be able to earn 300-600 dollars an hour flying missions in SC and selling their EUC to those without enough time to "grind" on their own.

Rest assured, friend: your children's future is secure, with Star Citizen.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Not to prolong offtopic chat too much, but if I haven't found anything to enjoy in the first four missions of DoWII is that likely to change? The production quality is through the roof and I really want to enjoy it but marching angry, stocky white dudes around the map as they shout about how mad they are about angry, stocky green dudes gets old pretty quick

This is my first real warhams experience, I know a bunch about it from watching goons play bloodbowl and just general internet osmosis but I was really expecting it to be way more tongue in cheek about all the battle brother exterminate the xeno stuff :smith:

Play DoWII: Retribution and play the Ork campaign as Captain Bluddflag. It owns.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

SquirrelGrip posted:

satanball is in fuckers
I'm pretty sure those are a couple dozen procedurally generated Crysis planets in the distance.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This post will contain content.
Price $2500.
Expected delivery 2 weeks.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

I love how he casually mentions that the game crashed. Because of course it did!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
reading the reddit thread on star marine is so delicious. What's particularly great is that on top of the news about the cancellation, Chris Roberts' contempt for the backers was openly exposed, and people who don't even care about Star Marine are weirded out by it. And the posts discussing how disconcerting it is are being massively upvoted.

Is Chris Roberts going to let popular criticism of his attitude go by without a response? I really, really doubt it. :fap:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

trucutru posted:

The only way I could figure the slider to work was to make it distance from the nearest station.

I don't know how else you put "PvP'ness" on a scale.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

*Derek spins wildly into space and explodes*

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Note how he only says they're adding stuff to Crusader, which is just one system out of 100 or whatever that SC is supposed to have. Combine that with "iterating" and you have the 2015 gameplan for SC: the least amount of effort possible to make it look like SC's development is not at a standstill. Patching = progress, you see!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Not sure it's really necessary to do this, but I'm going to find it therapeutic, so I'm going to pick this apart.

I'm a stealthy, solo player. - There is no stealth in this game.
I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. - There are no wrecked ships in this game. Where will you find this? And how will you know scavengers will be around soon?
I find a crate and put myself in it. - There are no crates. In fact there are no enterable objects at all, except the lovely ships.
I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. - So you're going to stare at a texture for ... how long? How will you know what's happening outside the crate? How will you know when you're "in their ship"?
When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. - No crates, no scavengers, but I suspect if they ever add it you'll be enjoying a 15-second unskippable animation at about this time.
Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... - Sorry - there is no stealth, and there are no goodies, and there is no inventory system even if there were. This is painful.
now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride - OK there are airlocks you can jump out of, or you can just wait for the game to randomly eject you. Your call, really.
B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship - No engine room, no self-destruct, and btw, were you planning to jump out of the airlock after this rather than get blown up? If so, why murder the occupants at all, you psycho?
C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship - There's no stealth, so you'll be doing it loudly. You're a pussy, so you'll lose. And you can't shoot the pilot at any rate anyway.
Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it.... - This game does not have, nor will it ever have, scanners that will detect the presence of player entities inside of crates. And just because you kill innocent people doesn't mean everyone does. Freak.

This loving game exists ENTIRELY in people's minds.

This is a good post.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

G0RF posted:

As CIG employees play D&D, it looks like there's another girl to add to Sandi's magic mirror...

Why do they have 3 huge flatscreens??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Chin posted:

I'm pretty sure those are a couple dozen procedurally generated Crysis planets in the distance.

im pretty sure my dreams are more important than yours, citizen

• Locked thread