Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

goatface posted:

Which San Jose is that they're near?

Without looking at the map or anything, probably this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

American History education somehow conveniently left out the fact that America was by, for, and still is entirely for white,landed, rich people. The Civil War is nicely boiled down to EVIL SLAVERY LOVERS vs GOOD UNION DUDES. Pearl Harbor is where the EVIL JAPANESE ASSAULTED OUR HONOR. Oh, and COMMUNISM IS EVIL, which we got way less of.

Honestly, had I not bothered to do any historical research of my own, my historical understand would be woefully misinformed. The education I got in high school was laughably bad. I remember sitting in Government class and realizing that our textbook was full of half-truths and outright bullshit about how the system of government functioned. Or, how in my sophmore year History class, our right-wing fundie nutjob history teacher tried to convince us all that the South was really just asserting its right as a nation and how the Union was really the bad ones.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

We made it two pages w/o the derail. This is a thread for grogs following an aspie level game. Please keep that poo poo somewhere else, or allow that sea lion nerd back in here to plug his terrible book

this is a four year discussion thread, dude

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Historyschool being dumb is totally in keeping with the game.

Our history here in Aus, for instance, goes on (and on) about how the Gallipoli landings were a total clusterfuck. Without bothering to mention some of the other significant facts about the War from an Australian standpoint, let alone going into anything in depth.

Then I think WW2 is like KOKODA IS WHERE WE TURNED BACK THE JAPS. and maybe something about Normandy, I can't really recall.

Even the societies other than english and other south east asia related subjects don't really cover much of what happened to make them who they are.

It is kinda gross.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

We didn't really get to WWII in my (Czech) high school, trump that. Although it was probably due to our slowish teacher - WWII was supposed to be in the final year and we didn't manage to get all the way there, we got bogged down somewhere near the Russian revolution. Nothing newer was covered, the reasoning we were told in the early 2000s (which no doubt survived from the communist era) was that "it's not history of it's not at least 70 years old".

Although for some reason I do recall "the Munich betrayal" got mentioned a lot.

So thank god for films and games. I'm learning about the Pacific war solely via this, and the previous LP.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Years back I watched some Doctor Who episode having had the show recommended to me by a friend (I did not end up liking it), set during the blitz in WW2 and the doctor held some speech about how incredible it was that as Europe was burning and being conquered by Hitler one tiny Island nation stood up and said "no". Is that the type of poo poo that British people are taught to belive about WW2 because thinking Britain only a "tiny island" (or whatever it was he said that was close to that) in 1940 is so incredibly disingenious it boggles the mind.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pimpmust posted:

Basic history education in any country seems to lack any sort of reflection on the "why" part. It's mostly just a snapshot of whatever period of history happened to be considered "important" for the nation in question (30-year war in Swedens case) but not a whole lot on the "why" part. If I remember correctly it was "Look at this MAP, look at HOW loving HUGE SWEDEN USED TO BE, HOLY poo poo and man we were NECK DEEP IN GERMANY WHEN SUDDENLY: FOG! THE KING GOT SHOT, poo poo And then the Great Power time was over :( suddenly: RUSSIANS, OH GOD THEY ARE CRAWLING ALL OVER OUR BALLSFINLAND how about we give peace a chance aye? Good thing HITLER only wanted our precious steel and EXCELLENT TRAIN SERVICES (also Russians all over our god drat balls again)".
Nevermind getting anything on the pacific.

Feels like I've gotten 90% of my history education from Games like this, Paradox stuff and whatever books/indepth documentaries I've found online. Just spending a few days with a CK2 or EUIV game on "observe" mode would probably give you a better grasp of history than years of public schooling.

Dan Carlin talked about how history should be about the skill or the desire to learn about history, because it lets you frame things in context - how did things get this way? What lead up to these events? What was the background?

And going off of that, it's somewhat wrong to begin history from the beginning and work your way forwards, because there's nothing to grab a person's interest when your reference point is a thing that's hundreds if not thousands of years in the past.

Rather, history should probably start from the now and work backwards. A topic like the minimum age requirement for political office is going to reach all the way to Sulla if you keep pulling that thread.

But because history is being taught as the raw assimilation of Things That Happened, rather than as a tool, it starts lacking purpose, unless you start using the List of Things That Happened as a means for pushing certain agenda or political viewpoints, which is how you get into the tangled mess that is history being biased to provide particular viewpoints.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dan Carlin talked about how history should be about the skill or the desire to learn about history, because it lets you frame things in context - how did things get this way? What lead up to these events? What was the background?

And going off of that, it's somewhat wrong to begin history from the beginning and work your way forwards, because there's nothing to grab a person's interest when your reference point is a thing that's hundreds if not thousands of years in the past.

Rather, history should probably start from the now and work backwards. A topic like the minimum age requirement for political office is going to reach all the way to Sulla if you keep pulling that thread.

But because history is being taught as the raw assimilation of Things That Happened, rather than as a tool, it starts lacking purpose, unless you start using the List of Things That Happened as a means for pushing certain agenda or political viewpoints, which is how you get into the tangled mess that is history being biased to provide particular viewpoints.

Yeah, but Dan Carlin can be a hack, and down that path lies lovely teleological history and historiography. I'd argue that going back ("Now we are X, and we are here because... Y!") is way worse than an approach that begins: here are my documents, here are my facts, what do they tell me? Would you start a stats class and say "okay, I need to prove that there are more women than men in America, let's go prove it!"

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

James Garfield posted:

Or this one. Well, shouldn't be too difficult with the map coordinates and all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jose_de_Buenavista,_Antique

Both places were used as staging fields for P-40's (and others) commuting between Bataan and Mindanao before Bataan fell.

fredleander fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 27, 2016

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

lenoon posted:

WW2 aged 7-14: The Home Front, for several years. The Blitz. The spirit of the blitz. Mysteriously the blitz ended but the war carried on????????????????

Don't tell me you didn't get a solid dose of .....the miracle at Dunkirk.....

fredleander fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 27, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

James Garfield posted:

fredleander posted:

Or this one. Well, shouldn't be too difficult with the map coordinates and all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique_(province)

As the thread's resident Filipino, you're both correct. Antique is the province, and San Jose is the provincial capitol.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 27, 2016

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

As the thread's resident Filipino, you're both correct. Antique is the province, and San Jose is the provincial capitol.

It was also quite close to Iloilo, a USN base on Panay.

Where in the Philippines do you live? My grandson is from Tacloban.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

We take out another ship.

Is there any chance the US AI would ever react to the Japanese submarine missions south of the Torres Strait? There are a few Aussie ships with ASW capabilities in the various ports on the Australian east coast.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

They are probably about, but finding subs early on is tricky business at the best of times.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

We actually didn't learn about Dunkirk, and my whole understanding of that is shaped by a bit in Spike Milligan's first war memoir:

What was it like?
A cock up, lad. A bloody cock-up

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Will you add the Shoho to the Kido Butai, or keep it on its own? I saw in one thread the suggestion to pool all the japanese CVE into a mini kido butai, so they can be an effective force that doesn't slow down the main fleet.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Grumio posted:

Will you add the Shoho to the Kido Butai, or keep it on its own? I saw in one thread the suggestion to pool all the japanese CVE into a mini kido butai, so they can be an effective force that doesn't slow down the main fleet.

At the moment I have them in the KB, but I am considering splitting them out, but having them operate in close proximity.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grumio posted:

a mini kido butai

I support this if, and only if, we name this new task force the Kawaii Butai. :nyoron:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

At the moment I have them in the KB, but I am considering splitting them out, but having them operate in close proximity.

I think that's the correct way to handle your KB as it still stacks CAP and restricts the amount of damage a single attack flight can do to them. It also makes them more vulnerable to surface attacks but that's not a concern unless there's a hilariously large storm going on.

Of course I'm probably wrong.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Good morning Bataan!

This is your wakeup call!

This is the problem here, they have a good number of guns and vehicles. So they can hurt us hard even when we bombard. We need to use up their supplies. The new bombing campaign should help with that.

That's a nice number of squads destroyed.

Ho hum, its one of those phases – most major actions are waiting for troops to move up, and its still two weeks before the Kido Butai finishes its repairs. Well, I could send them out without the Kaga, but that feels like a really stupid idea.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You really need to start capturing some populated airfields. Get those plane numbers up and running properly.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

A White Guy posted:

American History education somehow conveniently left out the fact that America was by, for, and still is entirely for white,landed, rich people. The Civil War is nicely boiled down to EVIL SLAVERY LOVERS vs GOOD UNION DUDES. Pearl Harbor is where the EVIL JAPANESE ASSAULTED OUR HONOR. Oh, and COMMUNISM IS EVIL, which we got way less of.

Honestly, had I not bothered to do any historical research of my own, my historical understand would be woefully misinformed. The education I got in high school was laughably bad. I remember sitting in Government class and realizing that our textbook was full of half-truths and outright bullshit about how the system of government functioned. Or, how in my sophmore year History class, our right-wing fundie nutjob history teacher tried to convince us all that the South was really just asserting its right as a nation and how the Union was really the bad ones.

lenoon posted:

Every nation has it's ridiculous conceptions of what the war meant, what they did and who won it. Britain's national myth is of the plucky bravery of John Bull standing up against the menace of the mighty Europeans Hitler, with no help from anyone thank you very much, until the USA finally decided to get involved (though their contribution wasn't that great really was it? special relationship and all that, but they couldn't have done much without us you know, yes, yes) and the beastly communists rampaged through the East, and then also something happened in the pacific but the important thing is that we won that one too and possibly some americans might have been involved?

Hahahahahaha so true.

In Spain it's funny because on top of the whole "Spain had an empire, ho ha!" we get another layer of it: The narratives are different from region to region.

To sum it up:

Right at the end of the XV century the different kingdoms of the peninsula finish kicking out the arabs, and columbus sets sail.

In my neck of the woods in the Spanish "bible belt"we were taught that the Aragonese and Castillian kingdoms formed an alliance. From that point on they teach only Castillian foreign policy. Admittedly important things, we got into quite some detail on the colonization of america and it was fairly bloody. But we never heard of Aragon again, from that point on Spain was on for us. 1495 is the date Spain starts for us. (The national day celebrates, btw, the 12th of October of that exact year)

I went to college in Barcelona and discovered that kids there had heard a lot about the kingdom of Aragon, and for them Spain starts when the kingdom of Aragon is submitted by force in 1714. (The Catalan national day conmemorates the surrender of Barcelona that year).

So yeah even inside Spain it's all a smatering, lots of worldview propaganda with very little analisys.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 27, 2016

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Not sure how effective that bombing will be since Bataan is the rugged jungle terrain type, but I suppose it's worth a try.

Just keep up the bombardment attacks. You will take some losses but it will pay off in the end when they run out of bullets.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

pthighs posted:

Not sure how effective that bombing will be since Bataan is the rugged jungle terrain type, but I suppose it's worth a try.

Just keep up the bombardment attacks. You will take some losses but it will pay off in the end when they run out of bullets.

It's just to keep the US troops disrupted for a month while the rest of the IJA troops march over from Manilla. And maybe to train pilots on what is relatively a milk run.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

A White Guy posted:

I went to school in coastal California and got a fairly liberal view of history. Most of our classes tended to include a reflection on the fact that life was still pretty lovely for anyone not in the extreme upper classes, regardless of whatever faction/party was in power.

This thread is pretty much my first introduction to the "full grognard" genre, moving from the Paradox games. Definitely interested in pursuing it further but beyond GH's other AAR on the LP archive (which I'm currently working through), are there any seminal works that I need to take a look at to understand the community?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tunapirate posted:

This thread is pretty much my first introduction to the "full grognard" genre, moving from the Paradox games. Definitely interested in pursuing it further but beyond GH's other AAR on the LP archive (which I'm currently working through), are there any seminal works that I need to take a look at to understand the community?

Grey's War in the East LP and I think uPen's Soviet War in the East LP are good reads.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Comrade Koba posted:

I support this if, and only if, we name this new task force the Kawaii Butai. :nyoron:

no, I've got it- we put all the baby carriers in the Kiddo butai

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Careful now, lets not start mixing warships, anime, and children. there lie dangerous waters.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
How about Pedo Butai, have I gone to far now

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Ragaman posted:

How about Pedo Butai, have I gone to far now
:catstare:

Reposting my favorite Mk. 14 thing ever:

:allears:

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

tunapirate posted:

Have you looked in on the AAR's on the Matrix Forum?

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

AceRimmer posted:

:catstare:

Reposting my favorite Mk. 14 thing ever:

:allears:

At least, he got the depth-setting right. Was this perhaps a case of "too good" hits - breaking the pistons?

fredleander fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 28, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That last line is amazing, you can feel the irritation at the fishes there.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

What's the story about the one Sub crew/commander that dropped a live Mk14 from a crane next to an admiral or something like that?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

TehKeen posted:

What's the story about the one Sub crew/commander that dropped a live Mk14 from a crane next to an admiral or something like that?
That seems vaguely familiar but I was only able to find this story:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Clunk! mwah ha ha!

Its amazing how much better this is when you are on the other side. Shame it won't last.

Fuel cargo burning. That's a dead ship there.

I'm going to come in lower tomorrow to see if I can improve accuracy – or at least get some hits reported.

This was never going to work.

Another town falls to our ever advancing forces.

The RAF come in to hit our shipping.

That was a little more interesting at least.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Chinese air raid on Taipei? A little forward thinking than most.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

A White Guy posted:

Chinese air raid on Taipei? A little forward thinking than most.

Hardly.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Not really. Actually, Chinese bomber forces did bomb Taiwan on a couple of occasions, with Tupolev SB'2's. But, that was in the period when the Soviet Union was heavily engaged in support of the Chinese. One attack consisted of more than 20 SB-2's, crewed by both Soviet and Chinese personell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_SB

I didn't know the Chinese operated the A-29 Hudson but it is mentioned in this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Chinese_Nationalist_air_force_(1937%E2%80%9345)

fredleander fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How many times do you need to shill your product? Didn't you already get probated for that once?

Edit: nice editing it out.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 29, 2016