Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am a butthurt special snowflake entirely made of saltfungus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jon Do posted:

Alarm bells went off in my head the FIRST time I heard about Star Citizen. "So...people can pay thousands of dollars to have an advantage that will eventually never be sold again?"

gently caress that. Alarms went off for me the very first time I heard about SC, the scope it had and that they were still asking for funding.

I just decided to ignore it until now. I wish I hadn't.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am a butthurt special snowflake entirely made of salt.

i thought you were a fungus

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Friendly Tumour posted:

i thought you were a fungus

The fungus is very salty.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Scruffpuff posted:

I stand by my prediction - EVERYTHING except SQ42 is going to be scrapped, and Chris will tell everyone that SQ42 is the new foundation for the PU. Except it won't get that far.

They are absolutely going to dump out SQ42, with a focus on the cutscenes over all else, and then run. Partially because that's where their interest lies, and solidly forced by not having the money left to do anything but that.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No, it's all Chris's fault. Every bit of it. It's his program, his dream, his vision, his failure. He's the face of this monstrosity and I sincerely hope that his failures hound him for the rest of his life. Everything else, from Ben's incredible incompetence to Sandi's predatory marketing "genius", stems from him and his constant inability to deliver. The man does not care. Even now, with his community royally pissed off because he was dumb enough to admit how little he gives a poo poo about them, he's sitting in his reality distortion field assuming everything is fine. It's the Hitler bunker video all over again. I spent years contributing in an honest and earnest manner, providing thoughtful feedback on everything from the toxicity of the community to level design of ships. None of it matters because Chris Roberts is a fraud, a self-entitled embarrassment of a human being who surrounds himself with sycophants and culls anyone who dares question his nonexistent talents. He took the greatest opportunity ever given to a game developer, a blank check to build the game of his dreams, and squandered it. He has ruined lives, tarnished careers, uprooted families, wasted millions, and years later hasn't learned a single loving thing. I hope he spends the rest of his life as a punch line.

Anyone who works at Cloud Imperium Games and is reading this: Get Out Now. Please. You are quickly nearing the point where your affiliation with this clusterfuck is going to harm your career. The people who have left before you talk about how they are treated as refugees within the greater game dev community. That may not happen for much longer. This company will not fail gracefully. Look at 38 Studios and how those workers simply stop getting paid one day. That is your future, if CIG doesn't lay you off first. Look at your game. Really, truly, honestly look at the entirety of your project and what you are really delivering compared to what was promised. Is this a project that's on track? Is this a company that's well managed and has a viable delivery strategy? You know it's not. Get out.

These are the truest words. Chris Roberts is a piece of poo poo. Nobody will have sympathy for him, he will be a pariah for what he did, which is basically the dream of nearly every creative type. I don't even think he cares, because this loving idiot has delusions that Squadron 42 will get him back into Hollywood. He is done there, just like he is done in gaming. Roberts had one good thing three decades ago. That's it. Ever since then, people treated him like a visionary and he ate it up, but really, he just got lucky. Ever since then, he's been a failure. Microsoft had to bail him out and nobody wants to admit that a publisher is responsible for how good Freelancer was, not Chris Roberts. He's a parasite, plain and simple, sucking money out of people and just using it on whatever he wants. I also don't expect him to learn a lesson from this, because people never do. He'll assume the world wasn't ready for his 'vision'. But nobody but maybe Ben Lesnick will believe that loving poo poo. The only thing to look forward to is that he's done. He blew 100 million and you simply do not come back from that in the gaming world,

And yeah, its time to get on the lifeboats. This is one ship where that you don't want to go down with.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The fungus is very salty.

*punches some nunbers into a Texas Instruments TI-84 Graphical Calculator* ...holy gently caress the man is right!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This changes everything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Needs more salt.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

https://redd.it/425coh

LTI limited ships going for below cost considering he's paying paypal fees.

quote:

To celebrate the birth of my newest family member I'm selling the following full melt value LTI ships @ cost price AND covering the PayPal fees:
Read: Real life has caught up and i need to get money to feed my kid. Please buy this poo poo, i beg of you!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Needs more salt.

That water they're standing in isn't fresh

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skellybones posted:

That water they're standing in isn't fresh

Eww.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well I for one am a very happy backer and I feel that I have already gotten more than I could ever have dreamed of :D

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Read: Real life has caught up and i need to get money to feed my kid. Please buy this poo poo, i beg of you!
CIG should pay attention. they're going to need advice on asset liquidation pretty soon

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

Well I for one am a very happy backer and I feel that I have already gotten more than I could ever have dreamed of :D

what, they finally granted your refund?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Needs more salt.

:emo:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No, it's all Chris's fault. Every bit of it. It's his program, his dream, his vision, his failure. He's the face of this monstrosity and I sincerely hope that his failures hound him for the rest of his life. Everything else, from Ben's incredible incompetence to Sandi's predatory marketing "genius", stems from him and his constant inability to deliver. The man does not care. Even now, with his community royally pissed off because he was dumb enough to admit how little he gives a poo poo about them, he's sitting in his reality distortion field assuming everything is fine. It's the Hitler bunker video all over again. I spent years contributing in an honest and earnest manner, providing thoughtful feedback on everything from the toxicity of the community to level design of ships. None of it matters because Chris Roberts is a fraud, a self-entitled embarrassment of a human being who surrounds himself with sycophants and culls anyone who dares question his nonexistent talents. He took the greatest opportunity ever given to a game developer, a blank check to build the game of his dreams, and squandered it. He has ruined lives, tarnished careers, uprooted families, wasted millions, and years later hasn't learned a single loving thing. I hope he spends the rest of his life as a punch line.

Anyone who works at Cloud Imperium Games and is reading this: Get Out Now. Please. You are quickly nearing the point where your affiliation with this clusterfuck is going to harm your career. The people who have left before you talk about how they are treated as refugees within the greater game dev community. That may not happen for much longer. This company will not fail gracefully. Look at 38 Studios and how those workers simply stop getting paid one day. That is your future, if CIG doesn't lay you off first. Look at your game. Really, truly, honestly look at the entirety of your project and what you are really delivering compared to what was promised. Is this a project that's on track? Is this a company that's well managed and has a viable delivery strategy? You know it's not. Get out.

:thurman:

But seriously, that credit to unmelt ships - it's the last dying gasp of trying to make as much money as possible. It's a free license to gently caress around with all of the existing ships and make them 'better' or 'worse' in order to get these sperglords to melt and unmelt the same drat ship over and over again and pay for the 'privilege' every time.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Dear CIG employees,

Do not drink anything that Chris or Sandi offers you after Feb 3

Kind Regards

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Looks about right.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

what, they finally granted your refund?

No they Star Marined my request ha ha
I am happier owning the game for the monent because it is so unintentionally brilliant

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

all that salt's gonna melt the butthurt snowflakes

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

quote:

BEST PRICE GUARANTEE
I offer the best prices this side of Vega and Elysium. If you find a better price on these ships I'll beat it by 5%.

Did you see that? Over $2k he's selling, eating paypal fee and offered to knock another 5% off and he's far from the only one, lots of upgraded LTI P-72 ships, so basically people were buying the lti p72 for $20 or whatever it was sold for, then melting their account locked ships and upgrading them so they had giftable/LTI ships to sell for less than cost.

Paying $20 in chunks each time they want to get their money out, just to be able to get most of it out.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Sarsapariller posted:

Can I just say- I appreciate that you're dissatisfied, and if you want to go public that's cool, but if it's putting other people's jobs (or your own) at risk you really should go softly. Nobody needs to fall on their sword to help this thread make fun of Star Citizen.

If they are stealing money at this point knowing they can't deliver, I don't care either way.

I mean if you work for widget international and promise a solid gold widget and you are the guy on the factory floor and you are spray painting lead widgets with gold paint, SPEAK UP. Everyone who now knows it is a scam is involved in the scam.

AceEight, you are doing the right thing, and I do agree with Sarsapariller in the fact that CIG may legally release the bare minimum and thus can't be held liable, but anything you give that stops one person from giving more is great.

But, you have to eat. I don't know what to do, whatever you know to be right, it's your situation.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Every night when before I go to bed I say a little prayer to Christo and ask him for this thread to be even better when I wake up. I have to admit that I don't always believe it will happen - how can a thread get exponentially better every day forever? Can God make a rock so heavy even he couldn't lift it? - but then I wake up in the morning and run downstairs to my computer and just like that, there's posts everywhere under the tree, all shiny and wrapped up and beautiful, and this thread is the best it has ever been.

:five:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

It's from a couple of days ago, but made me lol

This. loving. Moron.

He used the word "leavers" and right there, confirmed it.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

Did you see that? Over $2k he's selling, eating paypal fee and offered to knock another 5% off and he's far from the only one, lots of upgraded LTI P-72 ships, so basically people were buying the lti p72 for $20 or whatever it was sold for, then melting their account locked ships and upgrading them so they had giftable/LTI ships to sell for less than cost.

Paying $20 in chunks each time they want to get their money out, just to be able to get most of it out.

Wait, you can turn money tied up in something non-giftable giftable if you upgrade a giftable LTI ship?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Damage control.
The only thing left right now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jon Do posted:

I also can't see how anyone is like 'don't fault the whales or large, almost-whale backers'... hell even just the regular backers contributed to this mess.

The reason I don't fault them is because they're victims of an extended scam. Let's be clear, here: Chris Roberts was not selling watches out of an overcoat in an alleyway. He was a (former) game developer that still held a modicum of respect for his previous work, and he was using a relatively new and untested format (Kickstarter) to try and produce a video game. People hadn't really had a lot of exposure yet to Kickstarters that went belly-up.* It had a professional-looking presentation and was designed to hit all the right triggers for the type of people who would want to see this sort of game made (many of whom were, presumably, older and who had made a good bundle back during the dot-com days). Even Derek Smart, who's got a hell of a lot more experience with building spaceship games than I do, believed it was on an even keel and purchased a bundle of JPEGs and promises.

It's easy for people to get carried away when someone's offering them their hopes and dreams on a platter, especially when, on its surface, the thing doesn't look particularly scuzzy. I mean, I highly suspected the thing was bullshit given the huge volume of promises that were on the table for a budget that barely gets them into AA territory, but I also at least expected to see some kind of game at some point. Even if it was a chopped-down hackneyed version of what was initially promised, the idea that Chris Roberts could faff around with $100 million buckaroos and produce nothing of substance seemed absurd at the start of the project.

I guess my basic point here is that people are different, and they all have different levels of competency when it comes to sniffing out scams or seeing when someone's clearly overreaching in their vision. I'm relatively analytical (and a massive nerd), so I could tell once Star Citizen started to take off that something was up; the pieces just weren't fitting together. Not everyone can do this, and even if they can, a strong desire (playing an open-world spaceship MMO that they've always dreamed about) can override their better judgment. In the end, what matters is that they're victims, here. I reserve all ire solely for the management at CIG that knowingly perpetrated this banditry, and I'd have nothing but the happiest of grins if all of them were shut away and their assets seized to recoup even a small percentage of what they misused.

*Weirdly, I suspect the amount of money raised had a part to play in it as well. It's easy to imagine, say, a $50,000 Kickstarter failing: they ran out of money, or it was a bunch of new developers who couldn't handle a budget, etc. Once you start cresting even a few million, people start assuming the game has to succeed, because it's a staggering amount of money to a regular person. They idea that someone would risk pissing off that many people with that amount of money doesn't enter the frame.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 28, 2016

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

I stand by my prediction - EVERYTHING except SQ42 is going to be scrapped, and Chris will tell everyone that SQ42 is the new foundation for the PU. Except it won't get that far.

I've have no insider knowledge or anything, but I've speculated before that Roberts whole "Squadron 42 is now an open-world game" from last year's CitCon was code for "we couldn't even get a mission-based space combat sim working," and that SQ42 will look a lot like the current baby PU build, only with some vanduul enemies folded in from Arena Commander, punctuated by a dozen hours of interminable cutscenes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Romes128 posted:

Derek how much do you think cr and other higher ups are making GBS threads their pants right now? Are they aware that all this is happening?

They are, I've been told.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

No they Star Marined my request ha ha
I am happier owning the game for the monent because it is so unintentionally brilliant

I think I'm going to update my when I get home from work today and try to experience the madness, based on how awesome your videos are.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

That's loving tragic.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

Wait, you can turn money tied up in something non-giftable giftable if you upgrade a giftable LTI ship?

Any ship you buy with cash is giftable, if you have melted something rare/limited that's the best thing to consider like a LTI cheap ship. Once you have a giftable ship you can upgrade it using RSI credits, which means that's a trick to sell RSI credits. CIG don't care obviously because you're basically paying to be able to move something around in a database and they like that.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This is a master class in "how CMs and support should NOT reply to emails from users"

If only beer knew he was aiding in 'corporate espionage'

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

The reason I don't fault them is because they're victims of an extended scam. Let's be clear, here: Chris Roberts was not selling watches out of an overcoat in an alleyway. He was a (former) game developer that still held a modicum of respect for his previous work, and he was using a relatively new and untested format (Kickstarter) to try and produce a video game. People hadn't really had a lot of exposure yet to Kickstarters that went belly-up.* It had a professional-looking presentation and was designed to hit all the right triggers for the type of people who would want to see this sort of game made (many of whom were, presumably, older and who had made a good bundle back during the dot-com days). Even Derek Smart, who's got a hell of a lot more experience with building spaceship games than I do, believed it was on an even keel and purchased a bundle of JPEGs and promises.

It's easy for people to get carried away when someone's offering them their hopes and dreams on a platter, especially when, on its surface, the thing doesn't look particularly scuzzy. I mean, I highly suspected the thing was bullshit given the huge volume of promises that were on the table for a budget that barely gets them into AA territory, but I also at least expected to see some kind of game at some point. Even if it was a chopped-down hackneyed version of what was initially promised, the idea that Chris Roberts could faff around with $100 million buckaroos and produce nothing of substance seemed absurd at the start of the project.

I guess my basic point here is that people are different, and they all have different levels of competency when it comes to sniffing out scams or seeing when someone's clearly overreaching in their vision. I'm relatively analytical (and a massive nerd), so I could tell once Star Citizen started to take off that something was up; the pieces just weren't fitting together. Not everyone can do this, and even if they can, a strong desire (playing an open-world spaceship MMO that they've always dreamed about) can override their better judgment. In the end, what matters is that they're victims, here. I reserve all ire solely for the management at CIG that knowingly perpetrated this banditry, and I'd have nothing but the happiest of grins if all of them were shut away and their assets seized to recoup even a small percentage of what they misused.

*Weirdly, I suspect the amount of money raised had a part to play in it as well. It's easy to imagine, say, a $50,000 Kickstarter failing: they ran out of money, or it was a bunch of new developers who couldn't handle a budget, etc. Once you start cresting even a few million, people start assuming the game has to succeed, because it's a staggering amount of money to a regular person. They idea that someone would risk pissing off that many people with that amount of money doesn't enter the frame.

He was selling snake oil from the top of his coach through a megaphone.
And people threw buckets of money at his general direction.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Good.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
Just a reminder that in a few days it will be February 2016.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

This is a master class in "how CMs and support should NOT reply to emails from users"

If only beer knew he was aiding in 'corporate espionage'

I'm wondering which is going to happen first; CIG going bankrupt or Sandi finding out why I was banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

Any idea about what goes on in their meetings? Are they actually having discussions about how they're going to get this loving thing into something even resembling a game or just ignoring the mounting problems? There's gotta be a point where even crobbers and his court have to stop and think "oh god what have we done".

• Locked thread