Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sunning posted:

It was Hiroshi Minagawa who was brought in to split director duties with Hiroyuki Ito. Akitoshi Kawazu was the producer of the game. According to interviews by FFXII staff, Kawazu was the one who turned the game into a shippable product. The major problems with the game's development, such as miscommunication between teams or feature creep, were a structural issue than the fault of any one individual. Kawazu basically spent the last six months of development getting the teams working together and axing content/features that weren't working out.

That does explain even more, but it's less of a satisfying answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ImpAtom posted:

Your complaints are sort of odd in a game where God is the loving villain. I'm not even spoiling that it's absurdly obvious from the start and half the game is dedicated to Lightning going "Hm, well, God is a poo poo but I DO want to see my sister again."

Like you're getting Internet Atheist here on a game where people frantically embracing religion is unambiguously painted as a bad thing. It ends with Lightning literally killing God while shouting God is dead and that they're freeing humanity from the chains of religion.

Oh. Well... huh. Should have picked up on that from the first trip into Lightning's head.

But yeah, I will be honest. I get that there's heavy handed religion-based plots in other JRPGs but... I guess here it just rubs off as getting close to edgy status? I dunno. Probably just me.

NikkolasKing posted:

You've played the previous two games, right? Well just know that, Destiny was 2-0 against our heroes but after LR it will be 2=1.

I believed I skipped to the end for gameplay/HDD reasons. Plus a goon ITT suggested I go right to it anyway some pages ago.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

you can abuse the hell out of chronostasis to extend your time, if you want. note that if you do run out of time you can start the cycle over again and keep all your equips and stuff (though it resets your quests). so you can just rush the main questlines on your second cycle and sleep til the final day and the boss will dutifully appear.

unless you were shooting for a really high completion rate (basically, to open up the bonus dungeon) you're not gonna miss out on anything by doing this.

Oh I thought you only got to start over like that if you beat the game. I assumed if you ran out of time you'd just get a game over or something.

I really am enjoying it quite a lot though, much more than what little I played of XIII. Not taking itself as seriously seems to help. I liked when I was searching for someone's dead dad and the guy I found was telling me about how he died tragically while also wearing these ridiculous huge pink glasses. I definitely wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been talked up so much here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I want Matsuno's Final Fantasy, dammit! Or at least Fortress!

XII fans REALLY got the poo poo end of it. Some cute RTS spinoff and that trainwreck XIII gets two full sequels.

Because 13 was good and cool and had fun gameplay. 12 was none of that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wonder if there is any sort of consensus on XII vs. XIII. XII is weird in that no one really cares about it while XIII still has a ton of haters. Whether this means one is generally more acclaimed than the other, I dunno.

XIII's hallways might put people to sleep but so can XII's combat. Both games have awful pacing but for different reasons. XIII has better music but XII has better voice-acting.

Its a tricky one alright.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's never any consensus on FF in general because outside of a few references, they are widely different jrpgs under the FF name branch. It's not like Dragon Quest that's stayed the same for 11+ games or Breath of Fire which literally had the same named main characters for the franchise.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
ff12 is so boring that the game lets you create ways for the game to play itself so you can go do something else

General Morden fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 28, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Because 13 was good and cool and had fun gameplay. 12 was none of that.

I respectfully disagree.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Memory is sketchy but I remember people making GBS threads on 12 in a big way in the day though that seems to have retrospectively shifted to appreciation. Similar ire to what 13 gets anyway

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure XII got amazing reviews at the time

It'd be interesting to see what kind of scores it would get today though

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shaquin posted:

Memory is sketchy but I remember people making GBS threads on 12 in a big way in the day though that seems to have retrospectively shifted to appreciation. Similar ire to what 13 gets anyway

FF12 was one of the highest rated games on the PS2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF12 got great reviews but a lot of negativity at launch, a lot of which tended to get foisted off on Square-Enix for driving the director nuts/similar claims. It just ended up not really being hated but kind of forgotten instead. It has some strong fans but people just don't seem to bring it up much compared to really really hating it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think it either clicks with you or it doesn't.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Similar to FF8!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

FF12 got great reviews but a lot of negativity at launch, a lot of which tended to get foisted off on Square-Enix for driving the director nuts/similar claims. It just ended up not really being hated but kind of forgotten instead. It has some strong fans but people just don't seem to bring it up much compared to really really hating it.

I definitely remember the anger over the game "playing itself" being something discussed back when it was new, as well.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Srice posted:

I definitely remember the anger over the game "playing itself" being something discussed back when it was new, as well.

It's never been true at all. The gambit system largely just lets you streamline attack patterns so you can freely micromanage your party and pick what spells and buffs you want to be putting up. I thought the whole thing made combat much more seamless and fluid without losing any of the charm or basic rhythm of the classic turn-based systems.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pretty much. But you know what would click, regardless of that? Gilgamesh with guns. :v:

But really, though. Sometimes ya gotta say "Nah, I'll skip this installment". Helps ease stress on poo poo, y'know.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I saw FF12 in a store once a few years ago and I had never played it so later I asked a friend "Hey should I buy FF12 for 10 bucks" and she said "sure whatever" so I did and a few days later I met her again and said "Hey I bought FF12 for 10 bucks" and she just looked at me for a few seconds, then said "why the gently caress would you do that"

I didn't really get far at all. I remember fighting a Judge in an airship or something and that's as far as I got.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Help Im Alive posted:

Any big Square game got amazing reviews back then. Even FF8 and Chrono Cross, games with some pretty huge objective flaws yet still got near perfect scores.

I'm playing FF12 for the first time. This Sandsea part really sucks. I remember someone mentioning that to me a few ages ago.

Even though the game plays itself mostly, I think back to some other FFs like FF9 where the regular battles are just as mindless. At least in this one, I can read the forums on my laptop while the battle is going on. So it's not as annoying as FF9's battles.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

widespread posted:

Pretty much. But you know what would click, regardless of that? Gilgamesh with guns. :v:

But really, though. Sometimes ya gotta say "Nah, I'll skip this installment". Helps ease stress on poo poo, y'know.

I was never able to get high level enough to even fight Gilgamesh with guns. Even after the game was beaten, I was also beaten, by him.

I didn't want to play any more after that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's never been true at all. The gambit system largely just lets you streamline attack patterns so you can freely micromanage your party and pick what spells and buffs you want to be putting up. I thought the whole thing made combat much more seamless and fluid without losing any of the charm or basic rhythm of the classic turn-based systems.

Yeah that's correct. That was just the rhetoric going around back in those days.

Newest FF game is always the worst, etc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't even care about the combat in ff12. The huge empty areas are what made me hate it. loving ogir yensa sandsea

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Help Im Alive posted:

How would a semi-open world RPG with large environments, hunting quests selected off a notice board, MMO style combat, programmable AI for party members, and a politically charged plot about a civil war started by a kingslayer score in today's AAA RPG market? If they port it to modern platforms, we'll find out. The FFX HD Remaster got an 85 on metacritic.

For an apples to oranges comparison, Dragon Age Inquisition got a 86-89 on metacritic and won the most number of GoTY awards for that year.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sunning posted:

For an apples to oranges comparison, Dragon Age Inquisition got a 86-89 on metacritic and won the most number of GoTY awards for that year.

That was a really sad year for games if DAI was anywhere near any GOTYs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I literally played through most of the game with an automatic AI and they added a speed-up button to the game in the International edition because it was so slow. It is absolutely true. The only thing that actually slowed things down was how slow it took you to get certain gambits in the original version, not that the system didn't support them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like FF12 but it really was obnoxiously slow at the default speed. Without the speed-up option in the international edition I would never have completed it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I was never able to get high level enough to even fight Gilgamesh with guns. Even after the game was beaten, I was also beaten, by him.

I didn't want to play any more after that.

Same thing here. I had this whole big plan to beat all the Colosseum bosses but there came a time when I was just like "eh, I've had enough" and turned XIII-2 off. It wasn't like I hated it or anything... I had the same thing happen with Skyrim, another game I was addicted to. I just reached some unconscious limit.

As it is, I only managed to beat Omega and Lightning/Amodar. I couldn't even beat Jihl. I think I needed more preparation for thatone, like status resisting items.

Why wasn't Amodar in Lightning Returns? Well I mean, I guess he's kinda dead....but still. I am grateful they brought back this character who was in one cutscene in XIII back to XIII-2 as both a boss and a game show-hosting replicant.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF12 gets the honor of also being the worst game in the series because it is simultaneously bad for playing itself, while also being bad because it doesn't have enough options of gambits to actually play itself.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why you'd want to make it play itself when you have every option to make it play how you want to make it play.

I just set a few basic time-saving gambits up and then I'd use my own judgment on selecting skills and swapping characters and it was good fun. Like, you can adjust it to play how you like. That's what is cool about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't know why you'd want to make it play itself when you have every option to make it play how you want to make it play.

I just set a few basic time-saving gambits up and then I'd use my own judgment on selecting skills and swapping characters and it was good fun. Like, you can adjust it to play how you like. That's what is cool about it.

Because the game interface is really bad because it's designed around using gambits to automate as much as possible and there's no actual benefit to picking Fire myself instead of automating the game to do it.

That is also why I don't not use Gambits at all because the menu interface is really bad and all not using gambits does is slow everything down and make it more awkward.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Exactly. I set up Gambits for healing and basic attacking but that was it. I controlled everything else myself. I always had full control of one character too.

I can tell you, having control over your party is a nice thing. XIII's AI made me recognize that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sometimes I have to wonder if people forget what series they are talking about when they gripe about the post-2000 games.
I've been spamming the poo poo out of the fast forward button in FF7 by the way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

corn in the bible posted:

I don't even care about the combat in ff12. The huge empty areas are what made me hate it. loving ogir yensa sandsea

This and the fact that the antagonists and their plans were largely disconnected to anything you were doing for the fires 35 of 40 hours of the games main story really drag it down.

FF12 and 13 share a lot of problems, weirdly enough. 12 just doesn't have gameplay I'd ever call fun or engaging like other 13 had.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Because the games menu and action design are built heavily around you setting up a lot of gambits to automate it as much as you can. It's why a decent percentage of any version of the Licenses Board is filled with nothing but "Get another Gambit slot!".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

Sometimes I have to wonder if people forget what series they are talking about when they gripe about the post-2000 games.
I've been spamming the poo poo out of the fast forward button in FF7 by the way.

I would probably be annoyed about the older games being slow too but it's been such a long time since I played them that I can't remember.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I probably would've liked FFXII more if the voices weren't compressed to the point of sounding incredibly tinny. Also because the game tried to have a grand sweeping plot but then was forced to wrap it up so it just kind of ends suddenly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder if there is any sort of consensus on XII vs. XIII. XII is weird in that no one really cares about it while XIII still has a ton of haters. Whether this means one is generally more acclaimed than the other, I dunno.

XIII's hallways might put people to sleep but so can XII's combat. Both games have awful pacing but for different reasons. XIII has better music but XII has better voice-acting.

Its a tricky one alright.

12 is boring

13 is bad

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I feel like the past page of discussion can be summed up as "Hey yo read the thread title".

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the most damning thing you can say about 12 is that it's boring

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This and the fact that the antagonists and their plans were largely disconnected to anything you were doing for the fires 35 of 40 hours of the games main story really drag it down.

FF12 and 13 share a lot of problems, weirdly enough. 12 just doesn't have gameplay I'd ever call fun or engaging like other 13 had.

Because the games menu and action design are built heavily around you setting up a lot of gambits to automate it as much as you can. It's why a decent percentage of any version of the Licenses Board is filled with nothing but "Get another Gambit slot!".

Yeah the License Board was kind of meh. A shame, but it's not a big deal. But to set up characters who fight enemies entirely devoid of player input takes a lot of active effort, so I don't feel the game should be blamed for that aspect of its design. And again, in the harder boss battles and mob rushes, the automated attack system allowed me to basically coordinate six-man groups on my own, swapping people out and doing things three-at-a-time of course. It just eliminates the need to repetetively press attack and instead gives me more strategic opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That's basically the most damning thing for a video game period though