Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

Tortolia posted:

My wife still thinks I am bullshitting her about the 15K spaceship package despite showing her the store page.

She asked me once why I keep reading a thread for a game that isn't out and I have no interest in playing. There really is no way to properly verbally capture the essence of SC without sounding like you had a mental break, so I just explain it as a thread with cat pictures and funny videos.

Tell her it's like when you touch something smelly. It's disgusting but you can't stop yourself from taking another sniff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Chris has the most impressive lack of imagination in gaming

He's got to have read and watched a lot of sci fi. It's like he did a lowest common denominator search and scrapped anything that's not grey and unimaginative

There's no compromises in his quest for the perfect boredom

it's seriously dumb. currency says a lot in fiction using the least possible words. I mean you could have the UEE (the UEE is a stupid and cliched thing as well but let that slide for now) using Renminbi or Roubles and in no time and zero effort you've worked something interesting into the background there, whether or not you choose to expand on it. Although an empire should have currency with the emperor's dumb face stamped all over it because that's an expression of his power and it causes people to associate him with wealth and every day transactions - the emperor literally becomes the lifeblood of every day life. Literally anything though is better than loving credits.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxNpfbRPEqE

:chanpop:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Space darts!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Sorry if it's been mentioned in the tens of thousands of posts, but doesn't "leavers" strike anyone as a very effective (for the true believers) and carefully considered term used to obfuscate whether a person/people quit or was fired?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Those two ships weigh the same.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I just realised where I had seen this type of “physics” before.

Driver 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYrXjgRFC6c

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gilganixon posted:

it's seriously dumb. currency says a lot in fiction using the least possible words. I mean you could have the UEE (the UEE is a stupid and cliched thing as well but let that slide for now) using Renminbi or Roubles and in no time and zero effort you've worked something interesting into the background there, whether or not you choose to expand on it. Although an empire should have currency with the emperor's dumb face stamped all over it because that's an expression of his power and it causes people to associate him with wealth and every day transactions - the emperor literally becomes the lifeblood of every day life. Literally anything though is better than loving credits.

Citcoin

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Seriously, even if the game as promised were to be released I wouldn't be impressed. I've looked at the Star Citizen wikia, and everything is poo poo

He's got poo poo aliens, poo poo humans, poo poo space physics, poo poo lore. The only impressing thing about it is the amount of poo poo promised.

Just look at the bits of Sq42 we've seen - the Bishop speech, Morrow tour, Steve "Old Man" Colton. Everything is exclusively generic, unimaginative poo poo. Chris is such a poo poo writer he couldn't hold a candle to the loving Stimperor

10 hours of mocapped cut scenes in a game with a really, really good story would still be a bad idea. 10 hours of Chris is a loving death sentence

If star citizen ever came out I'd make it my mission to torment that "I will feel grief" guy and his friends.

But since we're talking wild hypothetical if I won the lottery...

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Breetai posted:

Sorry if it's been mentioned in the tens of thousands of posts, but doesn't "leavers" strike anyone as a very effective (for the true believers) and carefully considered term used to obfuscate whether a person/people quit or was fired?

Strangely ben and sandi refuse to reply to my tweets about these very things, I guess they're busy? :shrug:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/434yor/i_know_you_guys_will_downvote_this_but_the_video/

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

These are so good. Just think one day shitizens expect to put jpegs inside other jpegs and to fly around. I love the little pauses while the game figures out WTF just happened/to do.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tindahbawx posted:

Just....wow. Is there anything about Star citizen or its head employees that isn't a trainwreck or a non-stop stream of cringeworthy comedy?
The late Roger Ebert described the script of that movie as "submoronic". Ben is the biggest fan.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Chris has the most impressive lack of imagination in gaming

He's got to have read and watched a lot of sci fi. It's like he did a lowest common denominator search and scrapped anything that's not grey and unimaginative

There's no compromises in his quest for the perfect boredom

I missed the space-ship design talk last time (I looked away for 10 minutes and 1 million posts were made), but CRs lack of imagination really shows in that as well. He has hired some, by all accounts, amazing concept artists, then proceed to only approve of the most generic looking "space-fighter-jet" type ships.

It shows in a ton of places. The completely generic human empire, the incredible trite overall story. Even the names put me right to sleep; Star Citizen? Arena Commander? Star Marine? It's like a 14 year old who really likes the idea of sci-fi, but has never actually read or seen anything, made this up.

There are a few of the ships which look cool, the space-station looks nice and I kinda like the Vanduul concepts (more the concepts than the ones they've modeled), but overall it's bland on top of bland on top of bland.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

The late Roger Ebert described the script of that movie as "submoronic". Ben is the biggest fan.

I've never watched the Wing Commander movie. I'll have to go and find a copy later on and give it a good watch to see what passes as a good plot and acting in Chris Roberts mind.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tindahbawx posted:

I've never watched the Wing Commander movie. I'll have to go and find a copy later on and give it a good watch to see what passes as a good plot and acting in Chris Roberts mind.

Don't.
It's not worth it.

It's a bad, bad movie. Not “so bad it's good”, just bad all over. If you're really that curious, there are plenty of riffs, reviews, and highlight reels on youtube that give you the facepalms without the constant pain of actually watching the whole thing.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 29, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tippis posted:

Don't.
It's not worth it.

It's a bad, bad movie. Not “so bad it's good”, just bad all over.

Don't listen to this person. Watch it, it's hilariously terrible when viewed from the perspective of how many people that are expecting Croberts to make a good thing now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tindahbawx posted:

A few people did it in the thread and discovered it's aggressively bland and meh.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

but overall it's bland on top of bland on top of bland.
A wise Japanese businessman once told Chris about brand recognition, but he had a heavy accent and it backfired.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Tindahbawx posted:

its on netflix

it's... poor. it will negatively impact your feelings about several quite competent actors, and in fact the previously quite good series of games that inspired it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

A wise Japanese businessman once told Chris about brand recognition, but he had a heavy accent and it backfired.

:vince:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Iridium posted:

it's... poor. it will negatively impact your feelings about several quite competent actors, and in fact the previously quite good series of games that inspired it.

Are you talking about Wing Commander or Star Citizen?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

His entire channel is loving amazing

:pgabz:'s French cousin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb_RkUBYUnA

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

alphabettitouretti posted:

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JamesCoote/20160125/264204/An_OUYA_Story.php

This an example of the kind of thing we can expect to see when CIG collapses. It's a post-mortem of the hilariously crappy Ouya microconsole written by one of its most outspoken supporters. He almost completely fails to identify any of the reasons this junkbox was a disaster, and places much of the blame on external forces. Of particular note is the entire section talking about haters and trolls.

Ouya had just a fraction of the rabid support Star Citizen receives. There will absolutely be some die-hards who try to keep the dream alive for years to come and who will blame Derek Smart and goons for ruining their dreams. That is good, it should keep the comedy train rolling for a good long while.

When CIG goes belly up people will be posting on reddit frantically trying to find out how they can mail all their money directly to Chris Roberts to keep it all going, in spite of the fact it will be at that point where nothing they do can stop it.

They won't get that money they send off back but someone will do it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

40-Degree Day posted:

Don't investors get a return though in actual money and not just jpegs?

If people can trade buttcoins I can trade jpegs. :colbert:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

alphabettitouretti posted:

That would be better than the reality, which is that it is a bauble called the Pilgrim's cross from the critically acclaimed hit movie Wing Commander. I think he even wore it on his wedding day.

Also I'd like to add that I love it when a new person joins the thread and expresses disbelief at the state of things. It's easy to forget how utterly ludicrous this thing sounds when you've been following it for years and each stupid event is followed by something even more mind boggling.

Imagine dedicating your life to a poo poo-level Larry Holland rip-off. Having to argue the objextivly wrong opinion that any Wing Commander game is even half as good as TIE Fighter, much less better

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

That Works posted:

Are you talking about Wing Commander or Star Citizen?

yes

funny how history repeats itself

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Someone complimented their explosions a few pages back. And while they look good in some cases, they lack the same thought and detail as most other aspects of shart shitizen.

For instance:

The other ship flies in from the left side so you'd expect the flames and debris from the explosion to follow the same path and be directed to the right. Instead we see the engine pause for a second as it works out what to do next and decides to play "shipexplosion_01" animation and the blast pattern is circular, like the ship blew up sitting on the pad instead of being hammered in a collision. Where is your fidelity now, citizens?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Tindahbawx posted:

Someone post that bulldozer gif with Crobbers cameo edited in.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Whats the point in banning people on Reddit? You just make another account in 2 seconds and get right back to your shitposting.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Huddled together in the dark massive amphitheater that was CIG Santa Monica’s pressroom, the assembled journalists were growing anxious. Despite the cool weather outside, thanks to the ClimaDome that enveloped the seaside metropolis since 2044, many were sweating profusely in the strangely hot and humid air that seemed to emanate from the almost flesh coloured walls. A few of the reporters also bore fresh scrapes and bruises sustained in the mad scramble to get inside through the throngs of Star Citizen fans that had now been almost permanently camped outside the building for years. Their dishevelled appearances, wide bulk and eyes tinged with the touch of insanity as they threw themselves again and again against the electric fence shouting “Smart begone!” had disturbed even quite a few of the hardened games journalists.

They did not have to wait much longer. Hidden speakers around the room blared an impotent electronic fanfare as lights flooded the stage and Chris Roberts was wheeled out on stage by a gaggle of whimpering malformed eunuchs. Their completely shaven bodies glistened in the harsh phosphorus light as they swayed back and forth as if afraid of their towering master. Chris himself was smiling, two dozen or more vat-grown arms twitching limply at his side. He spoke, fat wormy lips smacking together like beached whales for every syllable. The inside of the glass cupola covering his pale head was soon covered with spittle, obscuring his features.

The assembled newspeople craned their heads, whispering to each other. What had he said? No one could tell. Then the speakers boomed once more.

“WELCOME TO CIG. PLEASE ENJOY THE PRESENTATION. DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS AT THE END TO BEN LESNICK.”

Slowly, almost gingerly, Chris reached out and stroked the wall next him with his hand, the wall flexing softly and exuding a clear liquid. As he did so it was as if the entire building shuddered, the floor shifting under the feet of the guests. A low moan of pleasure reverberated through the cavernous room, lingering for what seemed an eternity. Chris spoke again.

“REMEMBER. WHAT YOU WILL SEE IS ONLY AN ALPHA.”

As he finished, a shadow swooped down from the ceiling onto the editor of Lunar Games Weekly, slashing her throat with razor sharp talons. As it began to peck the poor woman’s eyes out, the spindly apparition shrieked in triumph: “Only an alpha only an alpha!

“AH YES. I SEE YOU’VE MET MY WIFE.”

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Erenthal posted:

Huddled together in the dark massive amphitheater that was CIG Santa Monica’s pressroom, the assembled journalists were growing anxious. Despite the cool weather outside, thanks to the ClimaDome that enveloped the seaside metropolis since 2044, many were sweating profusely in the strangely hot and humid air that seemed to emanate from the almost flesh coloured walls. A few of the reporters also bore fresh scrapes and bruises sustained in the mad scramble to get inside through the throngs of Star Citizen fans that had now been almost permanently camped outside the building for years. Their dishevelled appearances, wide bulk and eyes tinged with the touch of insanity as they threw themselves again and again against the electric fence shouting “Smart begone!” had disturbed even quite a few of the hardened games journalists.

They did not have to wait much longer. Hidden speakers around the room blared an impotent electronic fanfare as lights flooded the stage and Chris Roberts was wheeled out on stage by a gaggle of whimpering malformed eunuchs. Their completely shaven bodies glistened in the harsh phosphorus light as they swayed back and forth as if afraid of their towering master. Chris himself was smiling, two dozen or more vat-grown arms twitching limply at his side. He spoke, fat wormy lips smacking together like beached whales for every syllable. The inside of the glass cupola covering his pale head was soon covered with spittle, obscuring his features.

The assembled newspeople craned their heads, whispering to each other. What had he said? No one could tell. Then the speakers boomed once more.

“WELCOME TO CIG. PLEASE ENJOY THE PRESENTATION. DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS AT THE END TO BEN LESNICK.”

Slowly, almost gingerly, Chris reached out and stroked the wall next him with his hand, the wall flexing softly and exuding a clear liquid. As he did so it was as if the entire building shuddered, the floor shifting under the feet of the guests. A low moan of pleasure reverberated through the cavernous room, lingering for what seemed an eternity. Chris spoke again.

“REMEMBER. WHAT YOU WILL SEE IS ONLY AN ALPHA.”

As he finished, a shadow swooped down from the ceiling onto the editor of Lunar Games Weekly, slashing her throat with razor sharp talons. As it began to peck the poor woman’s eyes out, the spindly apparition shrieked in triumph: “Only an alpha only an alpha!

“AH YES. I SEE YOU’VE MET MY WIFE.”

This is brilliant. The depiction of Ben is breathtaking.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Tindahbawx posted:

Whats the point in banning people on Reddit? You just make another account in 2 seconds and get right back to your shitposting.

the same reason downvoted, hidden comments are labelled "children", passive aggressive poo poo from people with no lives.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tindahbawx posted:

Funny you should say that.

This was the comment I was banned for:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/315879/refund

High Admiral gets told he can't have a refund.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Liu posted:

the same reason downvoted, hidden comments are labelled "children", passive aggressive poo poo from people with no lives.

SomethingAwful poster Liu, are you being ironic?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Liu posted:

:crossarms:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Was idling in r/starcitizen discord chat. Few of them were gloating over that thread. The rest were discussing furry poo poo. Fart Shitizen has the best community

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

that's incredible, all of it

what a bunch of animals

I hope this whale gets his cash back somehow

• Locked thread