Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Myself, I'm looking for something that does the todo.txt type format. Most to do list ones are like a single tasks by day, and that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm more looking for something to sync between my desktop, filter between relevant tasks, and check off when I've done things. I'm not keen on how todoist likes to give me notificaitons nagging me I didn't complete things the day I put them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Massasoit posted:

Yea, I guess not so much a place I can list tasks, but more of a task manager where I can set reminders. I'm trying out Any.do. we'll see how that goes.

Any.do is a good choice for this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

I wonder if when you control for high-end vs budget phones, that still holds up. (by "that" I mean Android users spending less on apps)

I find it really hard to spend a lot on apps, considering so many Android apps are free. And many apps that cost money, cost less than on iOS.

So it isn't exactly surprising that less money is made from direct purchases, when so many things are free or cheap on android, and paid or more expensive on iOS.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

I find that keeping tasks in a list is useless for me. It's just too easy to ignore the list altogether! I generally use calendar reminders that give me a notification to remind me that I need to do something.

(Which is why I dislike the change to Google Calendar to where the notifications now go away automatically if you don't act on them within an hour or so.)

Google Calendar now has reminders which don't go away until you mark them as done.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sadly Widget Locker doesn't work for me anymore after the last update. What's the best alternative?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Red_Fred posted:

Google Calendar now has reminders which don't go away until you mark them as done.

I will play with that, thanks!

Can you not see/create/edit them on the web? I spent all of 15 seconds looking and don't see anything.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hangouts finally has a quick reply! Looks like they haven't stripped SMS functionality...yet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...e-apk-download/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Hangouts finally has a quick reply! Looks like they haven't stripped SMS functionality...yet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...e-apk-download/

The big notice to install Messenger isn't exactly subtle though.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

do you have like an example of a setup for this? I'm using Trello atm and that's p cool

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Uthor posted:

I will play with that, thanks!

Can you not see/create/edit them on the web? I spent all of 15 seconds looking and don't see anything.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=remind+me+to+shitpost+in+3+hours

Type whatever you want into the google search box/omnibox in a sentence structure that looks like a reminder and you should get a form appear letting you save it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
This morning I discovered AutoMate, essentially a car dashboard with fancy hands free controls and easy access to maps etc for driving. Hello driving mode my old friend, but better.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

If y'all haven't checked in on Remember The Milk lately, which was the OG to-do iOS/Android app that got natural language task entry right, they've got a beta version out of the app for Android and OSX desktop (and also a totally new web client) out for Pro users, and it's really great. I've been trying to settle on a true cross-platform to-do app (web, iOS, Android and *sigh* Win10 for phones) and, while some have come close, none have nailed it (2Do is great, but the Android app is hideous and out of date and it's overly complex for what I need; Todoist's alarms just don't work right, I've been trying to get that app to behave for years, and all of the other ones are missing in action on one platform or the other...)...

I'm really impressed with this new version.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I installed Lux Lite for the warm overlay. Even though I set it to manual, it turns on whenever the gently caress it feels like, when I wake the screen or open an app. How do I fix this? Alternatively, is there another app that does the same thing but only turns on when I tell it to? This is so annoying.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else with Weather Timeline have a weird bug where if the timeline isn't all the way at the top when it refreshes, you have to scroll further down after the refresh in order to scroll back up past where it was before the refresh?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I installed Lux Lite for the warm overlay. Even though I set it to manual, it turns on whenever the gently caress it feels like, when I wake the screen or open an app. How do I fix this? Alternatively, is there another app that does the same thing but only turns on when I tell it to? This is so annoying.

Try CF.lumen. It's made by Chainfire, the guy who does SuperSU.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I did the same thing as I just wanted F.Lux for Android. Cf.lumen is great, just paid for it last night.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

It sounds like a lot of the android apps claiming to be similar to f.lux aren't, as claimed by the f.lux team themselves. https://justgetflux.com/forum/topic/42/android-version/5 Of course they might be just trying to protect their own interests, seeing as they say they have their own app in the works.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I did the same thing as I just wanted F.Lux for Android. Cf.lumen is great, just paid for it last night.

Does it require root? And is it okay on the battery?

I've been wanting an app like this but all the ones I've tried in the past (several) were terrible for a variety of reasons.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I use twilight it's pretty good

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Taffer posted:

Does it require root? And is it okay on the battery?

I've been wanting an app like this but all the ones I've tried in the past (several) were terrible for a variety of reasons.

It works better with root but seems to work fine without. I'm on a Nexus 5x.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Not sure if this is the right place, but has anyone ever experienced any problems with the official Twitter app? I just installed it for the first time a few hours ago, and every time I click on a tweet or on someone's profile I get the "Unfortunately, Twitter has stopped" error. I've tried clearing both cache and data, and rebooting.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

actionjackson posted:

I use twilight it's pretty good

No it's not, it just puts a red overlay on the screen.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

No it's not, it just puts a red overlay on the screen.

That's what I want though! Just something to reduce eye strain that I can turn on and off at one touch, not something I have to program in a schedule. I broke my hand and am recovering from surgery, so I'm on my phone a lot more than normal since it's all I can really do.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Is there an app that disables the ability to delete contacts

My 68yr old father just got his first smartphone. a S6 Active
They get him all set up at the store show him some basic stuff I assume as I wasn't there, luckily they set him up with a gmail account

He accidentally deletes his contacts all the time. At least 5 times since he got it 2 weeks ago. I've shown him multiple times how to restore it from gmail but he just doesn't get it.

so is there an app that'll help prevent this?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shuffle posted:

Is there an app that disables the ability to delete contacts

My 68yr old father just got his first smartphone. a S6 Active
They get him all set up at the store show him some basic stuff I assume as I wasn't there, luckily they set him up with a gmail account

He accidentally deletes his contacts all the time. At least 5 times since he got it 2 weeks ago. I've shown him multiple times how to restore it from gmail but he just doesn't get it.

so is there an app that'll help prevent this?
No. Sorry but I'm pretty sure that simply cannot exist as it would require modification of an existing application.

I feel like I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to users and UX issues but this is pretty bizarre. What exactly is he doing to delete them? This should involve several very deliberate and obvious steps including selecting "Delete" from an Overflow menu or maybe tapping on a garbage can after tapping on a pencil or something like that.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Tunga posted:

No. Sorry but I'm pretty sure that simply cannot exist as it would require modification of an existing application.

I feel like I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to users and UX issues but this is pretty bizarre. What exactly is he doing to delete them? This should involve several very deliberate and obvious steps including selecting "Delete" from an Overflow menu or maybe tapping on a garbage can after tapping on a pencil or something like that.

I think what happens is he tries to scroll and does this on the edge near the overflow menu. he does this, doesn't see the menu popup selects delete from it. They taught him to use the back arrow in that app to go back instead of the hardware button on the phone. But that arrow is now replaced by the select all checkbox. then when he tries to scroll again he again hits the overview menu and hits delete. or with the way he holds the phone he hits delete that way I'm not sure, he hasn't done it while I've watched him try and use it yet.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Shuffle posted:

I think what happens is he tries to scroll and does this on the edge near the overflow menu. he does this, doesn't see the menu popup selects delete from it. They taught him to use the back arrow in that app to go back instead of the hardware button on the phone. But that arrow is now replaced by the select all checkbox. then when he tries to scroll again he again hits the overview menu and hits delete. or with the way he holds the phone he hits delete that way I'm not sure, he hasn't done it while I've watched him try and use it yet.

Turn on "easy mode" for the phone if he is only using it for phone stuff and cannot understand that "delete" deletes things.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

TwistedNails posted:

Turn on "easy mode" for the phone if he is only using it for phone stuff and cannot understand that "delete" deletes things.

I changed it to easy mode, the app is still the same so I'll probably have to restore contacts again. But he likes the bigger icons at least.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Take the phone back and buy your stupid dad a Jitterbug.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Whizbang posted:

Take the phone back and buy your stupid dad a Jitterbug.
who pissed in your cheerios?
there's no need to call my dad stupid just because he's having some difficulty with technology that's new to him.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shuffle posted:

I think what happens is he tries to scroll and does this on the edge near the overflow menu.
You probably already know this but just try to teach him to slow the gently caress down and look at what he is doing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Tunga posted:

You probably already know this but just try to teach him to slow the gently caress down and look at what he is doing.

Truth in this post. I have spent years getting my FIL to calm the gently caress down when I'm giving him instructions because he's a mad clicker.

quote:

Ok, click start

18 clicks in the background.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I see the OP section about media players, but I'm not sure which ones fit my needs. I wanted to use google music to sync all my songs between devices and download some to my phone, but they want a credit card linked to my account and I've been avoiding that so I don't accidentally/drunkenly make in app purchases. Is there a good app for that?

E: Actually, could I give them a shut down debit card, so anything I do gets declined? I guess most apps probably have an "Are you sure?" screen, but just on principle I'm not giving my credit card information to someone who wants to force me to do it.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 31, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It probably wont accept an expired one. I know Apple wont and wont let you have access to the app store without one.

You could probably get away with a visa gift card tho

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I decided to try it and it didn't accept it.

Is there another simple way to transfer music? I remember using the ES file explorer and Google Drive somehow, but I can't figure out how to do it again. It will only let me download single items from Drive onto my android, and not folders. God, Google sucks.

E: Never mind, figured it out again. I think an update changed the path you have to take.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 31, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Your principles are making your life a lot harder than it needs to be.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
MediaMonkey has some syncing between their desktop and Android apps.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Your principles are making your life a lot harder than it needs to be.

In general, yes.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Best way of transferring files from my PC to my phone/tablet? WiFi only please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Best way of transferring files from my PC to my phone/tablet? WiFi only please.

I like send anywhere. Alternatively, make a network accessible folder on your PC.