Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Okay, so it's a project manager. From an engineering perspective it's a ridiculously difficult job. I assume it's even more difficult in software development since your tasking is entirely personnel based. When I'm managing an engineering project I can at least get a sense of how long a widget will take to build since it's a physical item. Figuring out people is far more difficult.

That's correct. And on the game dev side, unless you have experience in all things related to this sort of thing, you won't have a frigging clue wtf the devs, artists, designers etc are explaining to you. Ever.

And they went and put a cinematics guy in this position. Because, you know, who would want to go work for CIG at this point? So they had to promote from within. Again, to prove Derek Smart wrong, because of what I said about Jason being the last one to ever ship a game. It's actually a fact. They should've told the guys to update their LinkedIn before marching them in front of a camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

sure the team can play through all the missions. sure.

so why the gently caress hasnt anybody seen any of it?

Because they don't want any spoilers to get out there.

the spoiler is that squadron 42 sucks poo poo

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Einbauschrank posted:

From the article:

"If we do especially well or badly in a mission, this could unlock further missions. That's the plan, but the developers couldn't show us anything that went beyond the presentations of CitizenCon 2015. The team is able to play through all the missions, but didn't want to demonstrate the missions in their current state of development yet."

That's what they said.

Another space gem:

"For this to be successful [the release of four episodes], they first have to finish the first one. And if there's one thing we can say after our visit ... in Wilmslow, it is this: Squadron42 could be the dream of many a Wing Commander veteran, but a release in 2016 will be a tight schedule. A delay until 2017 wouldn't come as a big surprise to us."

So everything we already knew then.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
Wait.

Did you honestly believe that they were building a whole different game engine (flight dynamics, physics etc) specifically for SQ42? Seriously?

Dude, how many times have I posted that every single thing backers are playing RIGHT NOW is what's going into SQ42? Bugs and all. Why do you think SM was nerfed? That mocap poo poo is going into SQ42 first, then the PU (now a test bed). And if they don't have enough of SQ42 to serve as test bed (note, they're begging backers to play AC now), they may merge some of it into the PU first, then use backers as testers.
No, that's not what I thought. I'm fully aware that SQ42 and SC are the same engine. My point was that I think it's funny that they're saying they have a world class game design team when the gameplay itself is so terrible.

Right.

Also, note that they're begging people AC now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the co-pilot's view might be obscured ~immersed~ by one big piece of alien arse

.....now I have to clean my monitor. Again.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Well I pressed f faster than a couple people and crashed their ships then star citizen stopped working, you can definitely play free though.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Eonwe posted:

lowtax can BeefThief's av be the next newbie av

quote on every page

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Technically the Vanduul ships use a weird "lay-down" configuration that should make everything fit easier. Plus it has the added benefit of making any two-seater craft they'd implement turn into Star Centipede

Either way the cockpit and controls should be laughably oversized for human pilots, but I think they handwave that away by saying the Vanduul ships humans are flying are refit for human pilots by some company.

To you and I this seems like it might have been designed by a retard, but the truth is that the US military has recently discovered that combat focus is increased by 70% when the copilot is positioned such that he can only look down at the floor, or up into the anus of the person in front of him. I applaud CIG for being on the cutting edge of military technology.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor_F8_%22Prone_Pilot%22

It's already been tried and has been determined to be dumb.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Eonwe posted:

lowtax can BeefThief's av be the next newbie av

No.

It's a paarpingly good avatar but it wouldn't be fair to BeefThief.

Cruelty like that is what I expect from the Stimpire, not SA.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Einbauschrank posted:

The :frontear: SC-Thread links to a 11/2015 article from a German gamer magazine . They have a slide show on the different actors and "actors" in SQ42.

They begin with bigshots like Gary Parpman and towards the end state things like "this lesser known actor" or "you don't have to know this name". The last slide is our [timg]http://6images.cgames.de/images/idgwpgsgp/bdb/2664254/600x338.jpg][/timg].
The accompanying text is as follows "Not really an actress, Sandi Gardiner is Vice-President of Marketing and wife to Chris Roberts".
:iceburn:

Jesus Christ, how much money DID they spend on actor wages?

There are like 4 A listers, or 5 depending on who you like

Half the bloody cast from Game of Thrones, and a bunch of others

A lot of them have just recently finished very successful TV series or movies, so they would have been demanding top dollar

CIG is hosed if they think throwing names at the screen is going to suddenly make the script not a steaming pile of poo poo

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
What was the name of that game on Steam that's kind of like what Star Citizen is claiming to be, except kind of janky but actually existing? Like, you can actually fly a ship, board another ship, run through it in an FPS mode and kill everyone on board and take it over?

I keep thinking it's "One Must Fall," but that's that fighting game from the 90s

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Popular Human posted:

What was the name of that game on Steam that's kind of like what Star Citizen is claiming to be, except kind of janky but actually existing? Like, you can actually fly a ship, board another ship, run through it in an FPS mode and kill everyone on board and take it over?

I keep thinking it's "One Must Fall," but that's that fighting game from the 90s

Angels Fall First but it's more like a weird modernized Battlefield 2 in space than what Star Citizen is claiming to be.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Exposure posted:

Angels Fall First but it's more like a weird modernized Battlefield 2 in space than what Star Citizen is claiming to be.

Thanks! Gonna try it anyway, since reading about Star Citizen has got me wanting to play a space game (that actually exists) where I can blow people up.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer
Caught up with the thread!

Tomorrow, Derek Smart and the crew from Information Redux call into my show.

See you at Noon eastern... in the 'verse, commando!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man, as soon as I finish my homework I'm popping straight into the verse. This French class just doesn't have the immersion I crave.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Wafflz posted:

the problem is if we actually get in a group it will just be an instance full of goons and we can't grief each other

Demolition Derby with no one to complain (except us)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op2_rEbEoFs

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

AugmentedVision posted:

Has anyone yet pointed out that this monstrosity would have a net rotational inertia unless the boxes are of different weights? I know, there are computers to compensate for gyroscopic precession when turning, and it's not at all that the people designing this hard sci-fi full of fidelity don't know high school physics.

Why are they spinning at all?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Popular Human posted:

Angels Fall First

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367270/

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Happy Valintine's Day from CIG

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Man, as soon as I finish my homework I'm popping straight into the verse. This French class just doesn't have the immersion I crave.

I know a certain someone that can tutor you, she will also teach your martial arts and whale biology

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sedisp posted:

GFTO. And don't make fun of fidelity.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Thanks! Think I'm going to pick up Line of Defense, too. Feel like it's the least I can do to thank you for the massive amount of work and entertainment you bring this thread.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Dark Off posted:

Im glad someone likes my photoshop.

heres another one for those that joined SA for this thread

Dark Off I saw your jpeg and I just had to buy it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sedisp posted:

That's Bens eggbeater

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://youtu.be/Ns0ZqRctbtg

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

That Works posted:

That's Bens eggbeater

As if he'd ever cook something.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

A lot of them have just recently finished very successful TV series or movies, so they would have been demanding top dollar

CIG is hosed if they think throwing names at the screen is going to suddenly make the script not a steaming pile of poo poo

As the article has piqued some interest, they also feature an interview with Chris Roberts from the end of Novembre 2015 in which he explains in detail why he chose mo cap and gets asked about his Hollywood experience and crowd founding and tipps for Uwe Boll, who apparently had a crowdfunding related meltdown.
http://www.gamestar.de/videos/specials,20/star-citizen-squadron-42,86316.html

You have to endure the usual crap ad, but the interview is held in English without any dubbing, so everybody can listen to it. I don't know if there's anything new to it, it is very tame.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:vince:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Popular Human posted:

Thanks! Think I'm going to pick up Line of Defense, too. Feel like it's the least I can do to thank you for the massive amount of work and entertainment you bring this thread.

Thanks!!

Don't get the Starter Kit. Get one of the TAK levels. Better bang for your buck and access to more stuff and features.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

:golfclap:

GrimmyD
Jul 31, 2006
I'm reminded of Cool Runnings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpNko_237a8

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sedisp posted:

It's the +1 tier ship for the soda dispenser minigame.
Those drinks won't mix themselves, you know.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just want to say there is no such thing as shameless cat posting, or even cats.

So, this free fly thing, any bets on how long the servers last till they start melting?

paaaarpp.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

alf_pogs posted:

sure the team can play through all the missions. sure.

so why the gently caress hasnt anybody seen any of it?

this reminds me of the time i went to a music / arts festival over new years. the music finished up at about half past midnight new years day. luckily, there was an 'arts' display set up to gently caress with people on drugs - this included schizophrenic clowns, a dwarf in a run-down caravan 'doing science', house of mirrors, old black and white movies and this really loving fun party in a shipping container. you heard music coming from the container, you could see the shadows of people dancing behind the curtain in the container, and it was operating on a one-in one-out policy. after about an hour in line i realised no-one had gone in or come out. well played, line ride.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Einbauschrank posted:

As the article has piqued some interest, they also feature an interview with Chris Roberts from the end of Novembre 2015 in which he explains in detail why he chose mo cap and gets asked about his Hollywood experience and crowd founding and tipps for Uwe Boll, who apparently had a crowdfunding related meltdown.
http://www.gamestar.de/videos/specials,20/star-citizen-squadron-42,86316.html

You have to endure the usual crap ad, but the interview is held in English without any dubbing, so everybody can listen to it. I don't know if there's anything new to it, it is very tame.

Wait, wait, wait - did I read that correctly?? Chris Roberts gave tips to Uwe Boll?

:vince:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Is that list of ships when you want to spawn something the best they can do? No icon or wireframe / model of the ship for visual recognition? No list of specs ro armament?

Are these spergs so invested in their jpegs they don't even need a little reminder to know what they're going to pilot?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn posted:

Is that list of ships when you want to spawn something the best they can do? No icon or wireframe / model of the ship for visual recognition? No list of specs ro armament?

Are these spergs so invested in their jpegs they don't even need a little reminder to know what they're going to pilot?

Well ever action in the game is basically press E, immersion.

press E to paaarrppp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

Come now, you know CR deserves the best for his movie, I mean video game.

• Locked thread