Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

That's correct. And on the game dev side, unless you have experience in all things related to this sort of thing, you won't have a frigging clue wtf the devs, artists, designers etc are explaining to you. Ever.

And they went and put a cinematics guy in this position. Because, you know, who would want to go work for CIG at this point? So they had to promote from within. Again, to prove Derek Smart wrong, because of what I said about Jason being the last one to ever ship a game. It's actually a fact. They should've told the guys to update their LinkedIn before marching them in front of a camera.

So in other words it's like taking a mechanical engineer and putting him in charge of a program that features electrical engineering and programming at the same time, and expecting him to know enough about all of those fields to be able to manage everything.

Einbauschrank posted:

From the article:

quote:

Stellen wir uns in einer Mission allerdings besonders gut oder eben auch schlecht an, könnte das weitere Aufträge aktivieren. Soweit der Plan, zeigen konnten uns die Entwickler davon noch nichts, was über die Präsentationen von der CitizenCon 2015 hinausgehen. Das Team kann zwar schon alle Einsätze durchspielen, aber vorführen wollen sie die Misionen in diesem Zustand noch nicht.

"If we do especially well or badly in a mission, this could unlock further missions. That's the plan, but the developers couldn't show us anything that went beyond the presentations of CitizenCon 2015. The team is able to play through all the missions, but didn't want to demonstrate the missions in their current state of development yet."

quote:

Stellen wir uns in einer Mission allerdings besonders gut oder eben auch schlecht an, könnte das weitere Aufträge aktivieren. Soweit der Plan, zeigen konnten uns die Entwickler davon noch nichts, was über die Präsentationen von der CitizenCon 2015 hinausgehen. Das Team kann zwar schon alle Einsätze durchspielen, aber vorführen wollen sie die Misionen in diesem Zustand noch nicht.

That's what they said.

Another space gem:

quote:

"For this to be successful [the release of four episodes], they first have to finish the first one. And if there's one thing we can say after our visit ... in Wilmslow, it is this: Squadron42 could be the dream of many a Wing Commander veteran, but a release in 2016 will be a tight schedule. A delay until 2017 wouldn't come as a big surprise to us."

Thanks for doing that, I sincerely appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

spacetoaster posted:

Hey guys, I wrote a bad fake letter earlier today and it's been making the rounds. Welp, apparently CIG knows exactly who I am and I got this email from Sandi today.

Lowtax told me there was nothing he could do to protect me from going to prison over what I did. I'm really scared.

P.S. This email is totally a real one and not a very poor MS paint job that I did in like 10 minutes. For real. Okay, bye.

I can tell this is fake because of the black E in Cloud Enperium Games at the bottom :smug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

I can tell this is fake because of the black E in Cloud Enperium Games at the bottom :smug:

I'm bad at MS paint. Plus I wanted to get done so I could play video games with some bad goons.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I boarded some guys spaceship and got in a bubble chair and started farting sparks and smoke and fell out and landed on a space station but my space hat was gone and I started getting all these error messages about not being able to be found in the coordinate system and I pressed the up arrow until my spaceman flew off my screen and I could never find him again.

immersion

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lowtax posted:

I boarded some guys spaceship and got in a bubble chair and started farting sparks and smoke and fell out and landed on a space station but my space hat was gone and I started getting all these error messages about not being able to be found in the coordinate system and I pressed the up arrow until my spaceman flew off my screen and I could never find him again.

immersion

It's good

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

Hey guys, I wrote a bad fake letter earlier today and it's been making the rounds. Welp, apparently CIG knows exactly who I am and I got this email from Sandi today.

Lowtax told me there was nothing he could do to protect me from going to prison over what I did. I'm really scared.

P.S. This email is totally a real one and not a very poor MS paint job that I did in like 10 minutes. For real. Okay, bye.

:bravo:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I just logged in to see if anyone could explain the Vanduul Glaive ship scale questions and I've been laughing so hard at the replies that my wife asked me to tell her what's cracking me up so much. I tried but as with so much of the best Star Citizen humor, it's a bit like translating a joke to another language - the nuances get lost. Still, thanks for the answers gents.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

G0RF posted:

I just logged in to see if anyone could explain the Vanduul Glaive ship scale questions and I've been laughing so hard at the replies that my wife asked me to tell her what's cracking me up so much. I tried but as with so much of the best Star Citizen humor, it's a bit like translating a joke to another language - the nuances get lost. Still, thanks for the answers gents.

I tried to explain to my fiancee the whole Star Citizen thing and about how dudes were taking out second mortgages, deciding on whether or not to pay their rent or buy another picture of a spaceship, lying to their wives about financials, dumping 30k into a game that's not even out yet...needless to say she didn't believe this was a thing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Lowtax posted:

immersion

See you space cowboy

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lowtax ur dood ascended and now is the star child of the verse so

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

:perfect:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lowtax posted:

immersion

Game of the Year.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
meet me on the spaceship pad in the next 30 minutes if u want to get ur rear end kicked

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I can tell it's fake cuss of the comments, or lack thereof.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

So I made a vid but it's a weird one, it's mainly to drive people to http://www.justagamemode.com/ because I think it;s amazing work by GORF, I have credited him etc, let's get some youtube views turned into hits for that!
I have also used some grrr angry music but i think it fits what I am trying to de pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKHl6ftSxww

:allears:

You are a machine

spacetoaster posted:

If they communicated with this level of honesty I would jump onboard the bandwagon, sorry

Jimb fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 30, 2016

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why do these ships all have wings? Will you be able to fly in-atmo?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lowtax posted:

immersion

Haha what the gently caress, that's a new one. SC is an amazing(ly buggy) game.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why do these ships all have wings? Will you be able to fly in-atmo?

You can do anything in Star Citizen, friend.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So in other words it's like taking a mechanical engineer and putting him in charge of a program that features electrical engineering and programming at the same time, and expecting him to know enough about all of those fields to be able to manage everything.

This is actually quite common, and really isn't a problem for an effective engineer who knows how to delegate by letting people do their jobs, setting realistic goals, facilitating communication between everyone involved, and not constantly moving the goalposts and making people redo poo poo they've already done over and over again.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

spacetoaster posted:

doing god's work

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

spacetoaster posted:

:rip: in prison.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

So I made a vid but it's a weird one, it's mainly to drive people to http://www.justagamemode.com/ because I think it;s amazing work by GORF, I have credited him etc, let's get some youtube views turned into hits for that!
I have also used some grrr angry music but i think it fits what I am trying to de pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKHl6ftSxww

Doin gods work bruv.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You haven't lived the experience unless your space commando goes T-pose and falls through the floor. It's trickier now to pull off, but still doable.

Also, the smaller ships throwing the big ones around like rag dolls. Best game.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is Croberts arrested yet?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I mean, I knew this whole thing was going to be a poo poo show from the beginning, but good lord. Just looking in briefly after not paying attention for the last six months and it looks worse than the last time I saw it. Great video.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay just joined whatever the gently caress the social space station thing is, and it's a shitload of men running around and asking what there is to do (nothing). So I went to the other space station thing that actually has space ships and interactive doors and after 10 minutes my space ship finally let me enter it, at which point the game froze and I was unable to close it even using task manager so I had to reboot.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
The Star Citizen Experience.

Did your character get stuck in the T-pose? If not, you need to relog for the full experience.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lowtax posted:

Okay just joined whatever the gently caress the social space station thing is, and it's a shitload of men running around and asking what there is to do (nothing). So I went to the other space station thing that actually has space ships and interactive doors and after 10 minutes my space ship finally let me enter it, at which point the game froze and I was unable to close it even using task manager so I had to reboot.

Welcome to zombo.com

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So when exactly did the tide begin to turn against Chris Roberts here in the Games thread? I mean we in the GBS thread were making fun of this shitshow since 2013, and went out of our minds at the absolute hilarity that was the unveiling of arena commander at the start of 2014. But I remember it being a hugbox in here until sometime in 2015. How many dissenters came into the threads in this forum and get driven off/probated for rightly pointing out how retarded people were for spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on jpegs?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

I Greyhound posted:

The Star Citizen Experience.

Did your character get stuck in the T-pose? If not, you need to relog for the full experience.
Yes I was in the bar and there were two players staring at each other so I emoted them and became stuck in a T and said "I'm Jesus, I just escaped from the cross, I'll give you 5000 space bucks if you hide me" but they didn't say anything so I left

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So when exactly did the tide begin to turn against Chris Roberts here in the Games thread? I mean we in the GBS thread were making fun of this shitshow since 2013, and went out of our minds at the absolute hilarity that was the unveiling of arena commander at the start of 2014. But I remember it being a hugbox in here until sometime in 2015. How many dissenters came into the threads in this forum and get driven off/probated for rightly pointing out how retarded people were for spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on jpegs?

If you show Beer's posts, he gives a pretty good feel for the thread tone. He posted great humorous summaries of the 'transparent' shows Croberts puts out, and they started out mocking the stupid questions, but over time, they focused more and more on mocking Croberts stupid answers.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Beer's thread from mid-2014 started out with a fairly regular description of what the game was, but by the time it ended a year later, it had turned into the refund (and burger) thread. Then Eonwe took over with a pure mocking thread that ran for a month or so. So it's somewhere in that one-year period, getting more and more silly from early 2015 and onwards.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We are all still very much supportive of this game. It's an immersive, hi-fidelity experience that all will enjoy for many years to come. You mock it now, but mark my words friend, you'll wish you backed this when you had the chance.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lowtax posted:

Yes I was in the bar and there were two players staring at each other so I emoted them and became stuck in a T and said "I'm Jesus, I just escaped from the cross, I'll give you 5000 space bucks if you hide me" but they didn't say anything so I left

Have you done the optional mission of pushing a vending machine into a ship and then flying somewhere else with it? You get some cheevos for that.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
So if all the elements of Star Marine have been folded into SC... um... where are they? Do I have to go to some secret place somewhere?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Lowtax posted:

immersion

I only wish I had 100 million more to give to such a product

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

spacetoaster posted:

I'm bad at MS paint. Plus I wanted to get done so I could play video games with some bad goons.

Allow me to BLOW YOUR MIND (this is on Firefox):

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lowtax posted:

So if all the elements of Star Marine have been folded into SC... um... where are they? Do I have to go to some secret place somewhere?

you can fire 2 weapons in the game right now. thats star marine!

you can get on a ship. thats ship boarding!

2 promises delivered checkmate derek smart

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

If SM is an unnessecary module because FPS is already in the game, how do they justify AC?

I have to assume because space ships are not currently in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Even Games has been pretty critical of SC for years. What really turned the tide was CitCon. Days before I got banned for collaborating with Derek Smart about the name of a new ship, and the event itself was an utter shitshow that started with Sandi giving this awkward speech (complete with flowers) and ended with Chris Roberts spitting all over a birthday cake. In between we learned about the millions CIG spent on AAA cast (that included his wife), found out that Squadron 42 would be delayed yet again (2016! Really guys!), watched the perfect example of how Roberts will waste the talents of anyone he directs, and then finished it all off with the only gameplay we have ever seen of Squadron 42.

So you can basically say it all turned to poo poo on October 10, 2015. That was the day we got :gary:.

• Locked thread