Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spikeguy posted:

God, I can't read these posts. There are too many manly tears of joy. You know how Undertale do. Now if you excuse me, I have to listen to Bonetrousle.

I'm legit curious if any wrestlers are Undertale fans now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm legit curious if any wrestlers are Undertale fans now
According to Cornette, that's one of the problems with wrestlers these days. They play video games instead of banging groupies, like the good ole days. Speaking of which:
https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/693123296481529856

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Take that dirtsheets

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Dario the Wop posted:

According to Cornette, that's one of the problems with wrestlers these days. They play video games instead of banging groupies, like the good ole days. Speaking of which:

Didn't Cornette say something about women's wrestling not being profitable because there were fewer women who came there solely to gently caress the dude wrestlers after the show?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dario the Wop posted:

It's 2016. What person on this planet doesn't know that pro wrestling is scripted? Cornette is insane if he thinks you can turn back time and make people forget that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It sounds like Cornette would like NJPW or something but it's not the Southern US so probably not?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BigRed0427 posted:

It's 2016. What person on this planet doesn't know that pro wrestling is scripted? Cornette is insane if he thinks you can turn back time and make people forget that.

As recently as one year ago, people in this forum were saying that Brock Lesnar was totally shooting on Roman Reigns.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Mercury Crusader posted:

It sounds like Cornette would like NJPW or something but it's not the Southern US so probably not?

He watched last years wrestle kingdom and crapped on a lot of it. He liked the main and Ibushi/Nakamura though.

Of course the show started with the Bucks so...

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i think cornette might just be a hateful, bitter old man

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Ostentatious posted:

i think cornette might just be a hateful, bitter old man

I'm pretty sure that is all it boils down to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I really hope someone shows Cornette the ratings for Lucha Underground, his reaction is going to be really good.

Edit: Eh I'll just do that myself and see if he does anything funny.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

MassRafTer posted:

I really hope someone shows Cornette the ratings for Lucha Underground, his reaction is going to be really good.

Then he will just go on even longer profanity filled rants and cry while remembering the glory days of wrasslin'

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CapitalistPig posted:

Then he will just go on even longer profanity filled rants and cry while remembering the glory days of wrasslin'

I know it's gonna be great when he sees how right he is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't understand why any human would care about or even want to hear anything from the man who thought Mike Mondo could be the savior of ROH.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

KoldPT posted:

WKTD is Team BAD

Sasha = Jupiter
Tamina = Neptune
Naomi = Venus

What about The New Day?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Is it possible Cornette doesn't know wrestling is scripted? I feel like that would explain a lot of his behavior.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

revtoiletduck posted:

Is it possible Cornette doesn't know wrestling is scripted? I feel like that would explain a lot of his behavior.

He ran Smoky Mountain Wrestling, unless SMW was 100% shoot top to bottom I think he knows. He's just too attached to kayfabe.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

I know it's gonna be great when he sees how right he is.

Is there some reason you want Lucha Underground to fail? I recall this not being the first post I've seen of you being borderline gleeful about the show having poor ratings, not getting its hands on better distribution channels to improve them, and not currently being a profitable endeavor.

I actually like Jim Cornette and thing he's pretty brilliant in terms of the wrestling business, but his view that wrestling can only be successful when it's 1) fooling people into thinking its real and 2) presented on television as a sport and nothing else is just... not correct. If it was wouldn't Ring of Honor be at a much higher level of success than it is?

I suppose you can argue that when WWF, and thus wrestling at a whole, was most successful and at its greatest level of mainstream acceptance during the Hogan era, it was closest to that presentation. But even without talking about the Attitude Era's shift away from that and breaking down into a debate about the objective business success of Hogan vs Attitude, I would simply argue that even within Hogan's era people remember the non-realistic, non-sport elements the most. Things like Randy Savage's romance and marriage with Elizabeth, A Literal Zombie named Undertaker and TV's Mr. T showing up to help Hulk Hogan because he a played a boxer in a movie certainly stuck with a lot more people a lot longer than any sport-like elements of the show. People remembered Ultimate Warrior facing Hogan in a hero vs hero/title vs title match, but I bet not many people remember the "sports drama," of which of the belts would be on the line from the preceding weeks or Jack Tuney deciding afterward to strip Warrior of the IC title and hold a tournament for it because sports sports sports.

Yes, right now Lucha Underground is not a success as a business, but that doesn't mean it won't be and we should loving hope that it eventually is because it's trying something different. Why would anyone take joy at an attempt at innovation within its genre crashing and burning when alternatives to a single monolithic success are what at least some people want? I don't know about you, but I'm as tired of WWE Clones in Wrestling as I am of WOW Clones in MMOs.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Sanguinia posted:

Yes, right now Lucha Underground is not a success as a business, but that doesn't mean it won't be and we should loving hope that it eventually is because it's trying something different. Why would anyone take joy at an attempt at innovation within its genre crashing and burning when alternatives to a single monolithic success are what at least some people want? I don't know about you, but I'm as tired of WWE Clones in Wrestling as I am of WOW Clones in MMOs.
There's a difference between "I like this low-selling/low-viewed [program/promotion/game/book/comic], I wish more people were into it" and "this cult thing I like is awesome and the industry needs to emulate it!" and there's a decent amount of the latter on here. The post he was responding to was about how Cornette hates Lucha Underground, but just imagine his face when he sees the ratings!" which you know, are objectively low.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mrt doesn't actually care and is just trying to rile people up

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Edge & Christian posted:

There's a difference between "I like this low-selling/low-viewed [program/promotion/game/book/comic], I wish more people were into it" and "this cult thing I like is awesome and the industry needs to emulate it!" and there's a decent amount of the latter on here.

This is a fair point, I think many people on this forum are a little overblown on LU. I understand why because it's the most I've been entertained by wrestling in years and discontent with WWE on the internet is at a very high point right now, but we shouldn't be pretending its a game-changer unti it... you know, changes the game a little bit.

I suppose its also dickish of me to have openly posted that I want Roman Reigns to fail and be depushed and then complain that somebody else seems to want something I like to fail. Perhaps I should rethink that dumb position. If I want to consider my argument that I want Roman to fail because management is making the entire show worse for his benefit and there should be consequences for that, maybe I have to consider it valid that some people might think LU is making wrestling in the totality worse for its own benefit and there should be consequences for that. And since I don't think that's a valid argument when it comes to the thing I like, but do when its the thing I dislike...

Time for a soul-searching walk around town set to "Dust in the Wind," I think...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Roman Reigns and Lucha Underground are both cool.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

oatgan posted:

mrt doesn't actually care and is just trying to rile people up

Mrt never lies he's strong and is my friend

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Wrestling has always had idiot money marks running vanity promotions, at least Lucha Underground is entertaining while it loses millions of dollars and not one of those garbage mid 1990s promotions that was totally going to challenge WCW and WWF with TITO SANTANA VS SGT. SLAUGHTER on top

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edge & Christian posted:

There's a difference between "I like this low-selling/low-viewed [program/promotion/game/book/comic], I wish more people were into it" and "this cult thing I like is awesome and the industry needs to emulate it!" and there's a decent amount of the latter on here. The post he was responding to was about how Cornette hates Lucha Underground, but just imagine his face when he sees the ratings!" which you know, are objectively low.

I mean, I think the industry should emulate LU because I like LU a whole goddamn lot and I'm not super big on any of the other current televised wrestling products. I'm also okay with other people disagreeing with me. :shobon:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
i never expected the bonafide lord of butt to be so... agreeable

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Another Person posted:

i never expected the bonafide lord of butt to be so... agreeable

Butts are pretty great, so I'm not surprised.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought Lucha Underground was a big draw on the Unimas network? or is konnan kayfaybing us again?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Didn't they lose their Unimas timeslot?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dario the Wop posted:

Jim Cornette should just be spammed the goofiest Memphis wrestling (that he grew up with and loved) with people riffing on it cause its a million times more "industry exposing" and retarded than anything LU has ever been. Some of that poo poo makes Chikara at its worst look legit

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

Is there some reason you want Lucha Underground to fail? I recall this not being the first post I've seen of you being borderline gleeful about the show having poor ratings, not getting its hands on better distribution channels to improve them, and not currently being a profitable endeavor.

I actually like Jim Cornette and thing he's pretty brilliant in terms of the wrestling business, but his view that wrestling can only be successful when it's 1) fooling people into thinking its real and 2) presented on television as a sport and nothing else is just... not correct. If it was wouldn't Ring of Honor be at a much higher level of success than it is?

MRT went from "knowledgeable wrestling database" to "devils advocate troll" the last year or so and he's been adding a lot of pure dick to it as times gone on

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Jim Cornette should just be spammed the goofiest Memphis wrestling (that he grew up with and loved) with people riffing on it cause its a million times more "industry exposing" and retarded than anything LU has ever been. Some of that poo poo makes Chikara at its worst look legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VylZhputrk

not business exposing at all, apparently

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

I suppose you can argue that when WWF, and thus wrestling at a whole, was most successful and at its greatest level of mainstream acceptance during the Hogan era, it was closest to that presentation. But even without talking about the Attitude Era's shift away from that and breaking down into a debate about the objective business success of Hogan vs Attitude, I would simply argue that even within Hogan's era people remember the non-realistic, non-sport elements the most. Things like Randy Savage's romance and marriage with Elizabeth, A Literal Zombie named Undertaker and TV's Mr. T showing up to help Hulk Hogan because he a played a boxer in a movie certainly stuck with a lot more people a lot longer than any sport-like elements of the show. People remembered Ultimate Warrior facing Hogan in a hero vs hero/title vs title match, but I bet not many people remember the "sports drama," of which of the belts would be on the line from the preceding weeks or Jack Tuney deciding afterward to strip Warrior of the IC title and hold a tournament for it because sports sports sports.

I just want Jim Cornette to post more dumb stuff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

dsriggs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VylZhputrk

not business exposing at all, apparently

How can you post that and not post him in a match?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKtJClGVu6Q

Seriously, more wrestlers need to shoot fire before hitting their finisher.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

no but you see that was legit because you had redneck hillbillies drunk as gently caress trying to stab heels in the parking lot and a whole bunch of sluts sucking the babyfaces dicks

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I agree with Cornette to a certain point (no hatred, love the traditional pseudo-sport style), which is why I prefer Ring of Honor, though I enjoy Lucha Underground (it's Sports Entertainment done right, if SE could be considered a style of wrestling like Strong Style, King's Road, etc., obviously with Lucha Libre) as well. His vitriol towards LU is so over the top, he's either a crazy old man or playing heel to the internet. I want it to be a gimmick. I like Corny too much. However, his often-mentioned Guest Booker video, where he proceeds to book a terrible InVasion, lends credence to him just being a crazy old man.

Reminder that Cornette worked with Cowabunga the Ninja Turtle in Smoky Mountain.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wolt2_jim-cornette-vs-cowabunga-smokey-mountain-wrestling-08-19-1993_sport

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean, I think the industry should emulate LU because I like LU a whole goddamn lot and I'm not super big on any of the other current televised wrestling products. I'm also okay with other people disagreeing with me. :shobon:

TNA has a more viable financial model than LU does right now.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

ayn rand hand job posted:

TNA lost money every year for like 15 years and they still exist. At least LU puts on a good television show while losing money.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

I don't know that "pray dad's money doesn't stop" is that much more viable than "try new, interesting format and see if it clicks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Receiving free money from an outside entity despite making terrible business decisions is a viable business strategy. It worked for the US railroad industry in the 1800s.