Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just form working agreements with smaller companies who don't have as much exposure, and trade talent. As long as you don't have events the same day, you can bring in random jobbers so your dudes' momentum isn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Veryslightlymad posted:

In TEW, what am I supposed to do with my jobbers? Am I supposed to have a roster full of guys that will never, ever get over, or am I supposed to sign random dudes to 6 month PPA contracts, put all the guys I LIKE over them, then get a bunch of other new lovely dudes?

I feel like I've signed too many people to too long of contracts, but I was worried about my regional competitors signing them from under me.

I'm playing as WCW, I just signed a bunch of unsigned dudes with decent selling & psychology to PPA contracts. No one has attempted to steal them away yet.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm not playing as a giant fed and my boss won't let me form agreements. You guys are talking as playing as one of the giants.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So on the same day they put out a press release saying not to buy the DLC for WWE 2K16 because it will break your saves, 2K Games has also announced they have secured a new multi-year contract to produce WWE games. I for one am so blindingly confident in what the future holds.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

projecthalaxy posted:

So on the same day they put out a press release saying not to buy the DLC for WWE 2K16 because it will break your saves, 2K Games has also announced they have secured a new multi-year contract to produce WWE games. I for one am so blindingly confident in what the future holds.

Every year posted:

"No, no. Next year's is going to be perfect. They just had to work the bugs out this year.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm not playing as a giant fed and my boss won't let me form agreements. You guys are talking as playing as one of the giants.

In that case, a revolving door of jobbers.
The big problem with the revolving door policy as a booker is if your boss has put some hiring restriction in place. (like, nobody <53 psych or whatever). But there should still be enough talent in the world to work around that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Veryslightlymad posted:

Well I guess you don't really need jobbers then. Just have the guys you protect and want to maintain their momentum, and the guys that don't matter but can still produce an ok match

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What I'm gonna try is to just let all my contracts expire for dudes that are coming up, hire a bunch of the newbies, keep the ones that have potential, job out the rest until their contracts go up, and repeat.

I made the mistake of getting whatever guys over that I could, but apparently there's a hidden popularity cap.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wwe 2k16 is not bad. it is not great but i enjoy it more overall than any game since wwe13

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I haven't played TEW but can't you just hire guys for a night? That's the way the jobber deal worked in real life.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think at this point the games are no longer bad, just very mediocre and slow.

Which honestly may be worse from an entertainment standpoint

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

coconono posted:

I haven't played TEW but can't you just hire guys for a night? That's the way the jobber deal worked in real life.

The shortest amount of time that you can hire someone for is a month. However talent trades can let you bring in people for one night only.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think at this point the games are no longer bad, just very mediocre and slow.

Which honestly may be worse from an entertainment standpoint

The ridiculous bugs are still there so nah.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Testekill posted:

The shortest amount of time that you can hire someone for is a month. However talent trades can let you bring in people for one night only.

You can hire them for [x] amount of time or [y] amount of shows, whichever comes first. If you go into the y column, you can set it to one appearance.

But if someone finishes their contract you can't negotiate with them for about 6 months. So... uh.... you'll run out of jobbers that way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's worth noting that all workers have a secret stat that's basically a momentum gauge for the momentum gauge - it tracks how many times you've won or lost and makes it so a guy who's been buried or jobbed out nonstop for months will take much longer to regain his heat than your do-nothing midcard guy trading wins with twerps.

All of that's relevant because Enhancement Talents and Openers aren't affected by this secret stat, and losses meaning nothing to them - since it's their job to lose, they don't get buried. If you want to job someone, job those guys on your roster (and if you don't have any, hire a halfway decent no-name goon for cheap). If you job out your midcard you will face an uphill battle when you want to rehab them. You'd be better off unilaterally elevating an Opener and giving him a go. Have your main eventers beat up your midcard and let your midcard beat up your jobbers, and the system works.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Testekill posted:

Edit: Beaten.
Personally I sign my jobbers to 3 month contracts as a general rule. That way I don't have to keep signing workers every time I need somebody to eat a pin. I also sign basically every young worker who enters the game world, just to give me an excuse to check their 'hot prospect' ratings. The language the game uses is a code of sorts to let you know just how good a given worker can be potentially. Unfortunately I don't know the code offhand, I was able to find it easily enough online.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 29, 2016

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Remember that awesome site where you could easily convert FPR saves for all formats including PS3? The one that shut down a few years ago? :smith:

It's back! And in file format, so 'this' version won't disappear from the internet for 4 years like the other one. :circlefap:

http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=295

Have fun downloading current rosters since WWE2K sucks again.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 30, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I tend to cycle out jobbers on open contracts for 3-6 months. Sometimes I'll really like one of them so I'll sign them to a developmental deal and let them work out that momentum down there or a written one and just try and rehab on the main roster, but cycling out tends to work for me. I also tend to do a lot of alliances/working relationships so I'll bring in guys from the other companies and use them. Or if I do a NXT (the original show, not the brand)/Tough Enough/Gut Check/Boot Camp type thing I'll keep all the "losers" around as jobbers for a few months.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If 2K16 is randomly deleting saves I guess it means they finally made a game as good as No Mercy. Congrats, they'll carry the brand into the future.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
So I just got TEW 2013 over christmas when all the deals were going on and I have it pretty much figured out but I don't usually do very well unless I cheat in cash and such. I'd like to try to change this.

I know the perfect show theory but what I have a hard time figuring out is what matches are going to be my best , 2nd best etc so I end up having the first match of the night which is generally supposed to be your 3rd best match (from what I have read on the internet) and it ends up flopping and my 2nd to last match will be better than the main event. A lot of this comes from not fully understanding the booking notes and such like exactly how many times I need to work the crowd or who can handle all out matches and stuff like that.

I want to challenge myself so I made a 1996 game right at the start of the monday night wars and I am taking on USWA to see If I can pull in some young talent and pull the company from the brink of closing and I refuse to cheat doing it just to see if I can make it happen.

I already started (as owner) and seeing how much the fans loved the edgier ECW content and how WCW was doing a little edgier content at the time I figure my character in the game noticed this and changed the product over to a more Mainstream slightly more hardcore and daredevil product (and of course that bumped me down to small).

What I'm looking for exactly is maybe some tips on figuring out how to best use the booking notes and maybe how to just be a better booker/build heat for my storylines better.

Thanks in advance :)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

CapitalistPig posted:

So I just got TEW 2013 over christmas when all the deals were going on and I have it pretty much figured out but I don't usually do very well unless I cheat in cash and such. I'd like to try to change this.

I know the perfect show theory but what I have a hard time figuring out is what matches are going to be my best , 2nd best etc so I end up having the first match of the night which is generally supposed to be your 3rd best match (from what I have read on the internet) and it ends up flopping and my 2nd to last match will be better than the main event. A lot of this comes from not fully understanding the booking notes and such like exactly how many times I need to work the crowd or who can handle all out matches and stuff like that.

I want to challenge myself so I made a 1996 game right at the start of the monday night wars and I am taking on USWA to see If I can pull in some young talent and pull the company from the brink of closing and I refuse to cheat doing it just to see if I can make it happen.

I already started (as owner) and seeing how much the fans loved the edgier ECW content and how WCW was doing a little edgier content at the time I figure my character in the game noticed this and changed the product over to a more Mainstream slightly more hardcore and daredevil product (and of course that bumped me down to small).

What I'm looking for exactly is maybe some tips on figuring out how to best use the booking notes and maybe how to just be a better booker/build heat for my storylines better.

Thanks in advance :)

I just turn off perfect show theory, I think it's flawed. Crowds can handle 3 exciting matches in a row for main events, you don't need a piss break match.

One thing I keep in mind is that the people making mods aren't perfect. I've played some that put you in a very hard position to begin with, they're not all necessarily balanced. The smaller companies especially could be put in a no-win situation from the start.

The main thing to keep in mind when you're booking is your "product". That section will tell you what the fans want to see, so book around that. If you're WCW in 1998, fans will want stars more than workrate. If you're ROH, fans will want workrate. etc.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

triplexpac posted:

I just turn off perfect show theory, I think it's flawed. Crowds can handle 3 exciting matches in a row for main events, you don't need a piss break match.

:psyduck: This can be done!? That changes things!

Edit: I have no idea why I never noticed the "User Preferences" on the left. Thanks for showing me that was a thing!

CapitalistPig fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 30, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also: there's no reason whatsoever to keep the Dirt Sheet off unless you're already really good at the game and want an extra challenge. It's crazy helpful.

e: that said I don't know why soft drugs have any effect on performance? RVD smokes weed, but that doesn't mean he's showing up to a taping or PPV baked, so it shouldn't ding his workrate any.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Turning off perfect show theory made all the difference in the world.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It really does, but I keep it on in personal games because I play with big companies with deep, popular benches and without it there's almost no challenge at all in booking a show.

*btw, is anyone running TEW2013 on a Windows 10 machine? I'm getting weird CTD errors whenever I try and start a game or join a new company in the middle of an existing game. I suspect it's some problem with file permissions.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 30, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

flashy_mcflash posted:

If 2K16 is randomly deleting saves I guess it means they finally made a game as good as No Mercy. Congrats, they'll carry the brand into the future.

Dig diggity, dig-diggity dog!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's a loving monumental task to grow an indie fed above Cult in a present day TEW2013 mod, huh?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The knockouts in UFC 2 are unreal sometimes

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Basic Chunnel posted:

It really does, but I keep it on in personal games because I play with big companies with deep, popular benches and without it there's almost no challenge at all in booking a show.

*btw, is anyone running TEW2013 on a Windows 10 machine? I'm getting weird CTD errors whenever I try and start a game or join a new company in the middle of an existing game. I suspect it's some problem with file permissions.

You always have to run it as administrator, if you're already doing that then I'm not sure

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's a loving monumental task to grow an indie fed above Cult in a present day TEW2013 mod, huh?

Yep, national battles will kick your rear end especially when the competition is just so far ahead like the WWE are.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That's pretty good! I don't know if it's extremely realistic or not but KAPOW.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I suppose I'm the one person who likes Los Matadores and B&M being added to the game...granted, I'll never play as them, but they bring a few cool moves that can be added to my CAWs.

That said...yeah, they should have gone with the Horsewomen. (Also, Los Mats should have been in the game already, seeing as they've been with the company for years.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DoctorDelaware posted:

I suppose I'm the one person who likes Los Matadores and B&M being added to the game...granted, I'll never play as them, but they bring a few cool moves that can be added to my CAWs.

That said...yeah, they should have gone with the Horsewomen. (Also, Los Mats should have been in the game already, seeing as they've been with the company for years.)

And in last year's game.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SWEET. CHIN. MUSIC!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fat Lowtax posted:

You always have to run it as administrator, if you're already doing that then I'm not sure
This is such a lovely hack.

The game would run so much better if a) save files weren't loving Access dbs and b) it saved to a User folder rather than directly into Program Files.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I was only a month or two into Universe Mode so I figured I'd download the new characters just to see what shenanigans would happen to my save.

I didn't get the "world champion is vacant" thing...instead it took my Tuesday Nitro show and reverted it to Main Event.

Also had a laugh at Los Matadores being sub-80 overall (hell, I think Heath Slater is above one of them at 79). Granted, I'm not fond of how they figure the overall values and how some are more heavily weighted, but meh. Shows what kind of an afterthought they were in this pack (and now I have a jobber tag team to use, huzzah!).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

triplexpac posted:

One thing I keep in mind is that the people making mods aren't perfect. I've played some that put you in a very hard position to begin with, they're not all necessarily balanced. The smaller companies especially could be put in a no-win situation from the start.

The main thing to keep in mind when you're booking is your "product". That section will tell you what the fans want to see, so book around that. If you're WCW in 1998, fans will want stars more than workrate. If you're ROH, fans will want workrate. etc.

I keep meaning to turn off perfect show theory. I kinda soured on the concept once one of my main events got penalties for both having a burnt out crowd and a cold crowd at the same time. But I can't bring myself to do it. It almost feels like cheating.

I am mostly content with TEW 2013's mechanics, but I'll be keeping an eye out for TEW 2016, just to see if it answers my remaining issues. (WTF is up with regional "importance"? Why do I not know what half the drat stats actually do? Why is psychology the most important stat when people can't even agree what it constitutes?)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ChrisBTY posted:

I keep meaning to turn off perfect show theory. I kinda soured on the concept once one of my main events got penalties for both having a burnt out crowd and a cold crowd at the same time. But I can't bring myself to do it. It almost feels like cheating.

I am mostly content with TEW 2013's mechanics, but I'll be keeping an eye out for TEW 2016, just to see if it answers my remaining issues. (WTF is up with regional "importance"? Why do I not know what half the drat stats actually do? Why is psychology the most important stat when people can't even agree what it constitutes?)

From what I've read from Ryland he wants you not to know a lot of the stuff. His logic seems to be that in real life you can't just game everything and see stats on everyone so TEW13 was designed to be more secretive and random to make the gaming experience more everchanging and unpredictable. He wants you to learn who makes good matches by experience and trial and error like you'd have to do in real life, not by just figuring out the math formula and reading the stats.

I have no doubt that frustrates a lot of people and it drives me insane from time to time, but I enjoy the rollercoaster game experience.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's a hell of a sell right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

STAC Goat posted:

From what I've read from Ryland he wants you not to know a lot of the stuff. His logic seems to be that in real life you can't just game everything and see stats on everyone so TEW13 was designed to be more secretive and random to make the gaming experience more everchanging and unpredictable. He wants you to learn who makes good matches by experience and trial and error like you'd have to do in real life, not by just figuring out the math formula and reading the stats.

I have no doubt that frustrates a lot of people and it drives me insane from time to time, but I enjoy the rollercoaster game experience.

Yeah the main reason I like playing the game is trying to move lower card guys into main spots. Sometimes I try and push a guy to the moon and it flops, other times it catches on. Sometimes there's even the Daniel Bryan effect, where a guy I'm barely paying attention to is suddenly way more over than I expected him to be.

I could try and crack open the formula and game things so I know exactly what would work, but I prefer trial and error

Edit: It's really loving weird listening to the announcers go on and on about how dangerous Xavier Woods is and how he has TWO finishers on WWE 2k16

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 31, 2016