Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Nyaa posted:

Could be, it's a pretty stressful series of event.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:siren: Shall we take Autism as an disadvantage? :siren:

When a disadvantage comes up in play and actively makes trouble for you then you’re compensated with extra Destiny per chapter.

No!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
No.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

You are a turtle again!

It’s sure is dark in here! Did someone turned off the lantern?

You tried to move your turtle paw, but it has turned to stone! In fact, your whole body has already become stoned except your neck and your head! Less importantly, there seem to be someone talking at some distance behind you.

“… I assure you the turtle did not receive any intervention.” A woman with a nice voice said with assurance.

An annoyed voice of a man reply, “It better not. I don’t wish to redo all the paperwork for hundreds of people again.”

“It’s fine. The Lone Star is working its way into countering it as we speak.”

“That may be so, but let’s not fo-“

What will you do?
A) Turn your head to look at them. It’s good to have a long and flexible neck.
B) A, and greet them!
C) Perform the interpretive petrified dance of friendship!
D) Close your ear. It’s bad to eavesdrop… Wait, do you have ears?
E) Go back to sleep
F) Contemplate about your petrified state.
G) Stay still and don’t make a voice
H) Stay still, but suddenly shout really loudly to scare them!
I) Look around. It’s pretty dark, but you can pick up some detail after awhile.
J) Sing a song of your people turtle
K) POETRY TIME
L) Write-in

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

G. We won't be able to see much in this darkness, and they might notice movement or a reflection off our eyes if we look. Just keep listening.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
c

What could go wrong?

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
B! It's rude to eavesdrop.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
No to the disadvantage.

I. Also, eavesdrop. They're talking about us after all, and it isn't eavesdropping if people are talking about you. I'm pretty sure. Trust me, it's true. So true.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Wentley posted:

No to the disadvantage.

I. Also, eavesdrop. They're talking about us after all, and it isn't eavesdropping if people are talking about you. I'm pretty sure. Trust me, it's true. So true.

I'll trust you.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
A

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
G and get ready to change the name to Return of the 6 Deadly Venoms

(Really thought the name of that movie was Revenge of the 5 Crippled Masters, but I was wrong)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A 1
B 1
C 1
G 2 Stay still, don't make voice
I 2 Look around

It’s not eavesdropping if they are talking about you! You trust your logical explanation and continue to eavesdrop.

You continue listening to the irritated man’s retort “That may be so, but let’s not forget the turtle is also graced by the Destiny Star!” He is clearly displeased with you for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with Baba?

Speaking of Baba, you look around for him. To your always-realization, turtle can actually see better than human in darkness and your turtle eyes are side way of your head, so you don’t really need to move your head much to get the 180 scooping view. The surrounding is still dimmer than before, but you recall the outline of all the same old natural structures beside the absent of a lot of stones. Baba’s stone is still tied to your string, but it’s dangling on the pond’s surface far away. Your string is still preventing it from sinking so far.

“He will never figure out how to tap into his full potential.” The woman voice response casually, as if it’s just a regular day-to-day conversation. “And only a few individual in his city would have some ideas about it.”

You thought about extending your head and bending backward to look at them, but your neck is currently undergoing petrification. Oh well.

“Ugh, I don’t need you to remind me about them!” The man said with great displeasure as if it’s a vulgar topic.

You don’t really like being slowly turning into stone, but it’s not like a turtle move much anyway, so it doesn’t really bother you that much. BUT… How will you poop now? This is troublesome indeed.

The woman gave a soft chuckle, “Even if they do manage to help the child, he would have to deal with the guard I have instated.”

“How reassuring.” The man said with a hint of sarcasm.

You wonder why your human self always worried about so many things. It sure would be nice to sit down and relax more often. Enjoy life as it is. Watch the tree sway softly by the wind and listen to the song of the birds. Worry about more troubling things like the capability to poop from your rock bottom.

“It should be sufficient for the task.” The woman reassured the man in a lighthearted voice. “You should worry more about the Lone Star’s next target.”

“Hmm? Ah, yes. If destiny continues at its current path, Old Man Liu’s death should occur within one year from now.” The man went on meticulously with other birth data and astrology terms that you don’t understand.

You awoke in your cabin in sweat.

“Good morning.” Mantis greets you from the other side of your room with a tired expression. He’s sits cross-legs on the floor and leaning behind the wall with a few bottles of alcohol next to him.

You…
A) PANIC ABOUT DREAM
B) Stay calm and return the greeting
C) B, and offer him some water or tea
D) Scream
E) Lecture him for intruding your room
F) Go back to sleep
G) Write-in

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 4, 2016

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

C

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E.

We are the Lone Star, and we will gently caress with destiny. First gotta make sure Old Man Bonesaw doesn't die a year from now.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
C

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
F. I'm just not feeling it today, guys. Let's just crash out now and rally for tomorrow.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
C

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
C

Outrail posted:

We are the Lone Star, and we will gently caress with destiny. First gotta make sure Old Man Bonesaw doesn't die a year from now.

gently caress yes. Find out what the guard is, find teachers that will teach us about destiny and be the twin upraised middle fingers to fate.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You get off your bed to return the greeting and offer the man some water or tea, but he raises his jug of wine and say, “No thanks, I have my own.” And took another swing at it. Despite the numbers of jugs next to him, he looks relatively sober. “I am glad you are yourself again.” His tone is filled with relief as he places the jug down. “You were… A bit different before you went to bed, so I decided to keep an eye on your after Baba’s surgery…” There is a moment of silent.

You can ask and talk to him about anything.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
How is Baba? Snow? Li Foil?

Who won the fight?

Are we still on course?

Who was hurt?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Slightly Lions posted:

How is Baba? Snow? Li Foil?
His cheery mood faded, "Baba's condition is stabilized, but remain serious. He's still unconscious, but the doc said he will regain consciousness in due time. As for Snow," Mantis took another swig, but realize the jug is empty. "She was a little down after your... Outburst, but eventually stood up and Demand that I let her in to assist the doc. Although she is a student under Doctor Why, I tried to abide to the doctor's order, but she... Forced her way in by getting the doctor's attention. Anyhow, I think she helped Baba the best she could."

Mantis dug around for another jug, but they are all empty. He sigh, "I suppose I will have some tea."

You nod and brew him a new pot of tea. In the meantime, Mantis continues his answer. "Li Foil is fine with his servant protecting him. He visited you once, and left after confirming your well-being. I didn't told him about your outburst".

The water is hot enough and you pour it all over some tea leave that you have no idea what it taste like. You never have any interest in tea, but you at least know it is made through soaking tea leave in hot water and drink it in the smallest cup you can imagine, which is what you do. Hands him the smallest cup of tea you can find.

Mantis settle down on a chair and took your tea gratefully. He continues answering your question.

quote:

Who won the fight?
"We won with minimal casualties. The red servant has taken out one-third of the bandits by himself. Truly a representative of the powerful Foil Family. "

quote:

Are we still on course?
"We are actually arrived at our destination. Most of the man on board has left." He told a sip at the tea you made, but doesn't show any sign of how it taste. "I will have woke you up if you sleep for another three hours."

quote:

Who was hurt?
He placed the tea down gently on the table with a smile. "Discounting the regular injuries we are expect to get in a fight, only the Dragons had it worst. I didn't see it first hand, but Dust Maker said they were brawling barehanded with the bandits for some reason. Chairs where thrown, table was flip, it's chaos up the top deck..." He close his eyes and let out a deep breath, "At least the VIP was entertained... What a weird guest."

He paused a moment as if reflecting something in his mind. "In this kind business, there will always be injuries no matter how safe it looks. It is a harsh lesson that I have finally learned in this trip." He eyes opens and look at you with a sincere and remorseful face, "... And I am sorry for bringing you and your friend into such danger. I was a fool."

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Is it wrong for an orphaned child to witness the harsh realities of life, even if he has affluent friends and an experienced benefactor?

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Ask him to train us when back home so we can handle danger like this if/when it happens again

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A Terrible Person posted:

Is it wrong for an orphaned child to witness the harsh realities of life, even if he has affluent friends and an experienced benefactor?
He considered your words for a moment. "No, I suppose not. The original goal was for you to learn about 'survival' at sea... Hopefully, you learned something out of all this."

Lazaruise posted:

Ask him to train us when back home so we can handle danger like this if/when it happens again
"Sorry, I..." He seems to be having difficulty answering your request, "I don't have the heart to watch another child come into harm anymore... This mission... Will be my last." He took a deep breath, "I plan to return to my children at my hometown and take up some laboring job that is less risky."

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
I'm not going to actively seek danger, but you not training me may lead to me getting harmed in the future, please Master, I want to be able to protect myself and loved ones if the need arises

Spend a Joss to make it so if he still refuses

Lazaruise fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 6, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Bake the Get-Well-Noodles like we promised to yesterday.

Ask him about the place we are docked at.
Where are we exactly?
Is there anything I should see whilst I'm here?
Is there anything I could get Baba to help him?
Are there any open-classes I could attend, or wandering scholars or monks around?
Where is the best Noodle-shop here?
Anything I should avoid or watch out for?

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Nyaa posted:

He considered your words for a moment. "No, I suppose not. The original goal was for you to learn about 'survival' at sea... Hopefully, you learned something out of all this."

"Sorry, I..." He seems to be having difficulty answering your request, "I don't have the heart to watch another child come into harm anymore... This mission... Will be my last." He took a deep breath, "I plan to return to my children at my hometown and take up some laboring job that is less risky."

Nyaa posted:

He paused a moment as if reflecting something in his mind. "In this kind business, there will always be injuries no matter how safe it looks. It is a harsh lesson that I have finally learned in this trip." He eyes opens and look at you with a sincere and remorseful face, "... And I am sorry for bringing you and your friend into such danger. I was a fool."

"Hey man, drop the self-pity thing. I appreciate your concern, but I chose to come on this trip. I convinced my friends to come with me, and begged you guys to let us. I thank you deeply for your actions to defend us, we owe you our lives, but don't dishonor me by diminishing my choices, or add to your own troubles by taking on undeserved guilt.

If you feel you have to do something to assuage your conscience then teach me. You'll never need to defend me again, and I can defend others in your place. If you truly wish to retire and become a laborer, then I wish you all the best, but don't do it on my account. Either way, I would be honored to call you a friend."

Offer him our hand, or whatever is the cultural equivalent, I don't know.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Slightly Lions posted:

"Hey man, drop the self-pity thing. I appreciate your concern, but I chose to come on this trip. I convinced my friends to come with me, and begged you guys to let us. I thank you deeply for your actions to defend us, we owe you our lives, but don't dishonor me by diminishing my choices, or add to your own troubles by taking on undeserved guilt.

If you feel you have to do something to assuage your conscience then teach me. You'll never need to defend me again, and I can defend others in your place. If you truly wish to retire and become a laborer, then I wish you all the best, but don't do it on my account. Either way, I would be honored to call you a friend."

I like this speech. Basically, get him to accept we have agency and are able to make decisions on our own, and try to get him to train us. Also, show we appreciate him.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Slightly Lions posted:

Sounds good

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I was going to roll inspire to convince him, but...

Slightly Lions posted:

""Hey man, drop the self-pity thing. I appreciate your concern, but I chose to come on this trip. I convinced my friends to come with me, and begged you guys to let us. I thank you deeply for your actions to defend us, we owe you our lives, but don't dishonor me by diminishing my choices, or add to your own troubles by taking on undeserved guilt."
Mantis is taken aback by your respond. He cast his eyes down on the table while placing a palm to cover half his face as he leans on it with his elbow. "Sometime I forget how much more matured you are." He chuckled softly, "You are right. I am always caught in my own emotion and forgot what's important. I left my child in search for wealth. I went into rage instead of trying to save the kid." He places his other hand to cover the other half of his shameful face. "Nevermore."

quote:

"If you feel you have to do something to assuage your conscience then teach me. You'll never need to defend me again, and I can defend others in your place. If you truly wish to retire and become a laborer, then I wish you all the best, but don't do it on my account. Either way, I would be honored to call you a friend."

quote:

You folds your hand to salute him in the modern equivalent of offering an handshake. There's a few variations based on social position and event, but they will be omitted since your school taught you well on such subject. Doing it wrong in front of someone of high social standing could get you scolded or even jailed!

Mantis looks up at your salute. Slowly, he returns the salute. "It is good that you did not perform a kowtow as it is the customary gesture for following under a master. For I am not knowledgeable enough to be qualify as a master-" He raise a hand to interrupt your further pleads, "BUT, as I heard from your Uncle Liu, he is searching chi masters for you. They, however, are at least capable of teaching you the basic techniques of fighting. So, I have decided, for as long as it takes for your master to arrives, I will help to train your physicality to be ready for further teaching." He grab the teacup, "This will not be a master and student relationship." And drink it whole in a final gesture of acceptance of your request. "But a training sessions between friends."

He lifts the tea pot and fills up your teacup. Will you accept this offer and drink it?
A) Yes.
B) No.

--------------------------

quote:

Bake the Get-Well-Noodles like we promised to yesterday.
You will do that when he wakes up.

quote:

Where are we exactly?Ask him about the place we are docked at.
I am keeping the era and setting vague for now until we decided on our life goal later, so let's refer the next place by its nickname, "The City of Rising Moon", and we are docked on its harbor.

quote:

Is there anything I should see whilst I'm here?
"As the name suggests, the night scenery of this city is one of its tourist attraction spot. Many poet and the wealthy journey here to view the unending street of lanterns and the beautiful Moonlight River."

quote:

Is there anything I could get Baba to help him?
"There's none you can do except pray for his early recovery."

quote:

Are there any open-classes I could attend, or wandering scholars or monks around?
"A few specialized classes are offered here that is not available in your city, but you won't have time to study them since we will be leaving tomorrow at dawn. As mention before, you will surely meet at least one scholar at night time at the river." He stares at you for a moment, "And why do you wish to find a monk? I hope you aren't finding one for your friend... *cough* Anyway, there's a few temples around the city, so it won't be hard to find one if you ask around."

quote:

Where is the best Noodle-shop here?
"For noodle? I have no idea."

quote:

Anything I should avoid or watch out for?
"Have someone with you at night time. Danger approaches from any corners."

--------------------------
That should be all the questions, Happy Chiense New Year! The greeting gesture for Chinese New Year is to wraps the left hand around the right hand which forms a fist underneath and shake it slightly. :arghfist: :)

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 9, 2016

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A of course

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
A

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
A

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A

Happy Chinese New Year, Nyaa!

Maybe by hanging out with us, as a friend, he'll be able to gain skill and wealth enough to bring his family to him. That would be nice.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Wentley posted:

Maybe by hanging out with us, as a friend, he'll be able to gain skill and wealth enough to bring his family to him. That would be nice.
We certainly can do 'hang out with someone' event starting next year to build up bond and maybe change their life, but i still haven't decided on how many time unit you have for next year. I might put up a vote for that later.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 9, 2016

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
A , LET THE KUNG FU BEGIN.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You hold the tiny teacup with both of your hands.

You raise the cup slowly and meet him at eye level.

You drink it whole.

“Very well, friend.” Mantis declares, “We will work out your training schedule when we return home. For now, you should have some rest and recuperation.” He gave you’re a farewell and excuse himself from your room.

------------------

It is now mid-afternoon. You don't have much time to spend in the city before the ship departs tomorrow morning, so choose one choice you want to do for Noon AND one choice for Night time.

Available for Noon or Night
A) Baba Ba was transported to the Ba family's vacation home in this city, which is quite some distance away. You plan to borrow the kitchen and cook him the get-well noodle when you are there.
B) Have fun! Enjoy everything the City of Rising Moon has to offer to a child!
C) Do some shopping. Most shop close at night, but many stalls remain open around tourist location.
D) Randomly tour in the city to find anything that interest you.
E) Hang out with [name/group], they choose where they want to go and you will devote your time to them.
F) Write-in: Look for specific thing/location

Available for Noon only
G) Ask around for temple and visit one of them. Please state what you plan to do there.
H) Ask around for Dream Interpretation expert and visit one of them.
I) Ask around for the best noodle shop
J) Ask around for specialize classes. Do you have a course in mind?
K) Take an afternoon nap

Available for Night only
L) Tour the Unending Street of Lanterns
M) Tour the Moonlight River
N) Sleep early

------------

Example vote:

Noon: D
Night: E, The Dragons

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 15, 2016

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A
L

Toughy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 11, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I think we promised to do A, so there we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Please vote one more for the other time slot.