Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As long as they can tighten the game up as much as they can and at least hit a 30 on this new combat engine than I can live with 6 being the prototype for a later 60 FPS new combat engine Yakuza later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I started playing Dead Souls. I just got to the DVD store as Akiyama, and I'm really kinda liking it so far. There are issues, obviously, like sometimes my auto-aim ability just doesn't auto-aim, but the story is cool and all.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

gyrobot posted:

The fact Kiryu weeps for Rikiya and Tachibana and yet didnt shed a tear for Yumi, Nishiki or Fuuma is kind of messed up. Why is Tachibana and Rikiya more important to Kiryu than the three people he grew up with?

Surely you can't ignore the fact that he's much younger when that happens.

I should have paid for expedited shipping. I am still waiting for the copy of Kiwami I preordered.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Can you not eat bait to lose health in 5? Or does it not work if you have the extra health bar?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
AppStim RX is the go-to item for restaurant completion, if that's what you're trying to do.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yup, thanks.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Heat move with pliers. :gonk::gonk::gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5magP1rluCg&t=51s

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Encountered a delightful bug in the final chapter where, if you go into either of the Kamurocho Club SEGAs, it triggers what I can only assume is the scene from when you do whatever Haruka's Affection event occurs there, except, well...

Uncle Kaz no, now I can't get the trophy for using the photo booth in every city. Or max Haruka's affection, I guess :geno:

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
So, do we have any sales numbers for Yakuza 5? Please tell me it sold reasonably well. please

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We're already getting 0 so it must have done well enough on preorders. It's sales of that we should be worried about.

In 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's no way it sold well, just like they knew it would going in

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I mean, it sold for less than a usual retail game, so I'm sure that helped it sell at least a little bit beyond that existing Yakuza fanbase.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
They don't sell hot in Japan but they sell enough to continue keeping the team around making games.

Just forget the Yak1+2HD WiiU disaster.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

They don't sell hot in Japan but they sell enough to continue keeping the team around making games.

I thought it was one of the top-selling series for Sony consoles. Did that change over the years?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Just the natural decline of consoles. Went from debuting with 500K copies at its height to approximately 190K this week for Kiwami. Luckily Asia is picking up the slack because it's super popular there and selling just as much if not more now.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Japanese Phone Box posted:

So, do we have any sales numbers for Yakuza 5? Please tell me it sold reasonably well. please

Just sales rankings from PS Blog. For PS3 games on PSN sold in December:
#5 in NA region
#7 in EU region

It did not rank in PS3 games sold on PSN for all of 2015.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

HGH posted:

Just the natural decline of consoles. Went from debuting with 500K copies at its height to approximately 190K this week for Kiwami. Luckily Asia is picking up the slack because it's super popular there and selling just as much if not more now.

I don't think you can really expect the same numbers for a budget remake of an old game.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
combat in 6 looks brutal but the camera is really bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA0TSi_lbaI

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__zGnZtL53Q

I can't remember the name of the Karaoke song he plays off hand...

*edit*

Movie star, Jackie Chan.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 5, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yechezkel posted:

Just sales rankings from PS Blog. For PS3 games on PSN sold in December:
#5 in NA region
#7 in EU region

It did not rank in PS3 games sold on PSN for all of 2015.

December is Christmas time and every single one of those games above Yakuza 5 for December's charts in both regions are obvious "well, yeah, of course that game would sell more than Yakuza, they're ridiculously popular" games and it not ranking for 2015 makes perfect sense, considering it had two thirds of a month to break into the chart.

The only game that might be surprising that it beat Yakuza 5 is the San Andreas re-release, but that's very debatable too considering it's San Andreas.

All in all, I don't think that these charts say anything of note, but I'd tend to see it as a positive.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Arbite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__zGnZtL53Q

I can't remember the name of the Karaoke song he plays off hand...

Such a random video from dunky but a perfect representation of the Yakuza series, also the comments are terrrrible

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The only game that might be surprising that it beat Yakuza 5 is the San Andreas re-release, but that's very debatable too considering it's San Andreas.

The digital rerelease of San Andreas sold 3 million copies so yeah I wouldn't worry there. That game has a crazy legacy.

EDIT: Although uh, this is a pretty drat scary graph.

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 5, 2016

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

HGH posted:

The digital rerelease of San Andreas sold 3 million copies so yeah I wouldn't worry there. That game has a crazy legacy.

EDIT: Although uh, this is a pretty drat scary graph.

What am I looking at here?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sega's sales forecasts (dotted lines in red), and the aftermath (cancellation of various games and localizations) because most of their stuff failed horribly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Apparently their social game/smartphone game division is doing awful too, so this time it isn't about the death of console games or whatever.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Oh. Well, I, personally, will still at least consider buying anything that says "Sega" on the box.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I understand that Kiryu's (and other playable character's) cheering during Karaoke is like a series tradition now but having Kiryu in Kiwami say "I LOVE HARUKA" to a 8 year old girl he just met is kind of weird.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Store robbery?? Not on my watch!

(destroys store in the process)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

That part was great. And then the guy thanks you so warmly!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Haruka

Stardust

New Serena

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just found out Majima kills Rouge of Love in Yakuza 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlU5XEMvdS4

:byodood: UHHHHHHH ROUGE OF LOVE
:byodood: EVERYBODYSAY... ROOOOOUGE OF LOOOOOVE

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Yechezkel posted:

I just found out Majima kills Rouge of Love in Yakuza 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlU5XEMvdS4

:byodood: UHHHHHHH ROUGE OF LOVE
:byodood: EVERYBODYSAY... ROOOOOUGE OF LOOOOOVE

I kind of like his signature song, "24-Hour Cinderella."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Saoshyant posted:

Is this a pretty common occurrence in the game? Because I really love the idea of trying to stop a robbery by basically wrecking the place, and generally just being more of a problem for the store than if the guy had just shoplifted.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SpacePig posted:

Is this a pretty common occurrence in the game? Because I really love the idea of trying to stop a robbery by basically wrecking the place, and generally just being more of a problem for the store than if the guy had just shoplifted.

Reminds me of a quest in, I wanna say maybe 2 or 3, where some guy is worried about thugs messing with his car, and you don't get a full complete if you use a Heat Action to bash in one of the thugs on the hood.

Of course, this is the same franchise with the infamous suicide jumper who you can rescue by throwing him off the roof yourself.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I forgot to mention it here, but I started on an LP of Yakuza 2.

Please check it out if you're so inclined. I won't bring it up again for fear of being an annoyance.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Reminds me of a quest in, I wanna say maybe 2 or 3, where some guy is worried about thugs messing with his car, and you don't get a full complete if you use a Heat Action to bash in one of the thugs on the hood.

Of course, this is the same franchise with the infamous suicide jumper who you can rescue by throwing him off the roof yourself.

The guy mentions the store's insurance policy cover this and it sends a clear message to would be thieves. So it is worth it in the long term since these robberies and shoplifts are so common that they lose more money over time to losses from thefts over outright Vandalism.

Also they are nerfing the food heal spam even more. Food now takes time to consume and have a hard cap of how much you can eat

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
For sales of games from PSN last January, Yakuza 5 didn't rank in either NA or EU lists. :smith:

I'm still slowly playing through Yakuza 5. I'm at the final chapter and at around 46% completion / 80 hours played. I keep doing all of the sidestuff even though I know I won't get the gold trophy because I don't want to touch the hostess stuff.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJlhBqGSPPY

Valentine's Day event thingy to promote Kiwami.

Also, I just received a Japanese version of Yakuza 3 because I wanted to archive the full game or whatever dumb logic I used at the time in my head to buy it. It did come with a cute fake magazine thingy that showcases the hostess club ladies and all the different stores and other things that you can see in Karumocho. Also has real life ads for some of the things in the game like Pronto.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Agree with the little kid, yakuzas are kind of scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I wonder if any actual yakuza gang member went there or at least just watched it from across the street. I imagine Sega's game being an infinite source of jokes for them

• Locked thread