Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

immortal flow posted:

How can this possibly be 10 gigs larger than Wild Hunt?? Is it just freakishly oversized textures or something? Completely uncompressed out-of-engine video? My poor SSD :(

No static maps so there are a ton of loose assets it need to generate the random ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Solomonic posted:

*stares meaningfully into the distance* XCOM 2 is going to be really good and I want to play it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Large filesizes these days usually are either video cutscenes or audio. I'm guessing here it's the latter. Lots of voices in different languages.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Fangz posted:

Large filesizes these days usually are either video cutscenes or audio. I'm guessing here it's the latter. Lots of voices in different languages.

Probably. There's like 12 different english ones, and usually 3-5 for the other languages, and a ton of languages are supported. Plus cutscenes in different languages, and whatever, and all of the tile set assets, etc...

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 31, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yami Fenrir posted:

Probably. There's like 12 different english ones, and usually 3-5 for the other languages, and a ton of languages are supported. Plus cutscenes in different languages, and whatever, and all of the tile set assets, etc...

I feel like any kind of basic audio/video compression should obviate this, and hopefully it's not just multiple copies of the same FMV scenes with different audio instead of, you know, having separate audio tracks

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I feel like any kind of basic audio/video compression should obviate this, and hopefully it's not just multiple copies of the same FMV scenes with different audio instead of, you know, having separate audio tracks

You'd think so, but I've already seen devs can be really weird on stuff like this. For example, iirc, Titanfall is something like 50 gb, but 35 gb of that is uncompressed language packs in all languages. That you can't even opt out of...

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

splifyphus posted:

You should play Enemy Unknown on ironman and make your soldiers people who have personal significance to you. Then you should watch some previews of XCOM 2. Then you will understand the hype.

We are preparing to grieve.

I did this and it made me really sad and depressed. Don't name your Ironman xcom soldiers after your loved ones, y'all.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well uh, the previous one was a great goddamn game, and absolutely every single sign points to this one being an improvement in just about every aspect. If that isn't a reason to be hyped, I don't know what would be.

EDIT: Also gently caress the haters, I'm gonna savescum like a motherfucker to keep all my favourite badasses and badassettes alive and y'all can just suck it. Unless they happen to die in a particularly spectacular fashion. Or I've just gotten bored of them.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 31, 2016

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'm pretty much at max hype for this. The news about mods is just the cherry on top - SMG gunslingers and Chryssalid Hive Queens at launch, what a world.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

But Not Tonight posted:

quote:

*stares meaningfully into the distance* XCOM 2 is going to be really good and I want to play it

Don't worry.

You will.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Zore posted:

No static maps so there are a ton of loose assets it need to generate the random ones.

Ohhhh. Randomly generated maps in a tactics game? If their system is intelligent this could be amazing.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hick Magnet posted:

I did this and it made me really sad and depressed. Don't name your Ironman xcom soldiers after your loved ones, y'all.

My grandmother was killed by a Chryssalid and shot repeatedly in the face by my boyfriend before killing my father.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

splifyphus posted:

Yeah, I meant like, cultural icons or whatnot.
I'm gonna name all of my soldiers G.R.R. Martin

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 31, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
XCOM is a really good game because I love tactical games but I am incredibly patient and it plays fast enough where I don't get bored but still has a lot of good tactical decisions.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hive Queens sound like the "ruler" aliens they promised in one expansion.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I have to say I'm glad to be a fan of this series the way the devs seem to be supporting the modding scene means that I will probably be playing this game for quite some time.

I really hope someone makes a total remake of the original Xcom UFO defence in the new engine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Iron Rose posted:

define "old laptop"

Because I wouldn't want to run EW on anything less than Haswell integrated graphics. Xcom 2 will probably want a discrete card unless you're willing to turn down the resolution to like 720p.

I erm... I am bad at computers, its 3 years old and apparently my processor is as follows: Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50 GHZ

6 gig of ram, and I don't know how it works properly. sorry.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It's time to go rocket-punch a thin-man into a truck until it explodes (the truck or the thin-man, preferably both). Y'know, just for old time's sakes. :getin:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The modded Muton Centurion is very Krogan. I really look forward to a Mass-Com mod emerging in the future. Get some snek-tits in the romance layer of the ant-farm. :mmmhmm:

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 31, 2016

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

Speedball posted:

Bureau Mod. Turn the Bureau into a proper XCOM game with tactical engagements and guys with laser-shooting tommy guns. Hey, it could happen!

This is actually a pretty neat idea. I remember playing trough The Bureau after buying it for 5 bucks, and even though I had enough fun to justify the price I just kept thinking "How much cooler this would have been if it actually played like XCOM".

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Speedball posted:

Hive Queens sound like the "ruler" aliens they promised in one expansion.

I thought this was in reference to Ethereals, like in the normal campaign they're just the super scary final boss(es?), while the expansion they can show up in regular missions? Could really be anything, though.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 31, 2022

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

ProZocK posted:

This is actually a pretty neat idea. I remember playing trough The Bureau after buying it for 5 bucks, and even though I had enough fun to justify the price I just kept thinking "How much cooler this would have been if it actually played like XCOM".

That was my feeling exactly. Every time I'd play it I'd sigh and wish it played like XCOM. Can't wait for the mod to do it for me!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Dumb XCOM 1 mod questions.

I like the tutorial because it adds story/plot poo poo upfront ( and gives a free sat! ), on the other hand, I dislike the tutorial because it's long, forces me to build bad poo poo/forces me to play a specific way/etc.

Is there a mod to make it so I still get the story beats/basic poo poo from the tutorial, but can build whatever I want from the getgo?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lotish posted:

The modded Muton Centurion is very Krogan. I really look forward to a Mass-Com mod emerging in the future. Get some snek-tits in the romance layer of the ant-farm. :mmmhmm:

Soon there'll be mods for chrysallid, floater, faceless, viper and uh, I don't know what the centaur would be, romance.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

chaos rhames posted:

There was a wierd yellow bioshock daddy as well, when they were showing off the replays. I think it had some gas thing.

They also showed it when going through random stuff in the asset browser. It's called the andromedon.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bholder posted:

Apparently there's going to be something mod and Long War related in the Pax stream in an hour or so.

I'm still betting that it's not going to be Long War 2 but some silly texture and GUI mods made by them.

So is this all it was? The LW guy seemed to have stopped talking about 20 minutes in and all they showed off was some custom weapons and enemies and abilities. Which, neat, but that's pretty much the most basic thing you can paste into the game and seems to exist solely to say Long War a couple of times.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Josef bugman posted:

I erm... I am bad at computers, its 3 years old and apparently my processor is as follows: Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50 GHZ

6 gig of ram, and I don't know how it works properly. sorry.

It won't be pleasant. Buy it on steam! You have two hours in which you can submit a refund request if your laptop can't run the game.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wizard Styles posted:

This was my first thought as well.

Gonna mod a pigeon gun into this game.

Reminds me of the original Red Alert which let me make guns that shot attack dogs.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

kater posted:

So is this all it was? The LW guy seemed to have stopped talking about 20 minutes in and all they showed off was some custom weapons and enemies and abilities. Which, neat, but that's pretty much the most basic thing you can paste into the game and seems to exist solely to say Long War a couple of times.

To be fair, there will be a Long War 2.

Do you really want it on day 1 though? I assume most people want to play the base campaign first to get a feel for it before they hellmod it.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

kater posted:

he was there to demonstrate the relative ease of modifying xcom 2 compared to enemy unknown

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It was just a weird way to tell a story I guess. 'We were planning on making our own game and Firaxis called and we signed an NDA and tada, SMGs that add a movement bonus.'

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
How cool are Psionics now or will that likely be hidden deep within the game?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjE_JSqLt0Y

A unique trait of psionics is that you have to put the unit in training for a number of days for each ability, but they can get everything if you put enough time into them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What's this about pigeon guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Pigeons and other wildlife are coded as particle effects so it's entirely possible to mod a gun that shoots them.