Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And Illumi is just a terrible person. (Seriously the guy is super evil compared to the other members of his family.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

And Illumi is just a terrible person. (Seriously the guy is super evil compared to the other members of his family.)

Eh, I get the impression that at least all the black hair members are pretty evil; Kalluto is with the Troupe and his mom seems kind of crazy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it makes sense as they're all manipulators and there is surely a reason people get that

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's also Milluki, aka. "Piggy". He's pretty dang awful too, though in a small, selfish way as opposed to Illumi. But yeah, there's a sort of "noble assassin" thing the silver-haired Zoldycks have that the rest of the family lacks.

Alluka is of course the exception to all of this, since she's not an assassin at all and is sweet, as is Nanika, horrible side-effects of her powers aside. (Tangentially, sad Nanika when Killua tells her she'll have to hide away forever is heartbreaking.)

Actually, I wonder what Maha was like. Apparently he was an Enhancer rather than a Manipulator or Transmuter. Also, bald rather than silver or black-haired, which is probably a coincidence but if that's seriously the reason for it that'd be hilarious. Apparently he was quite the badass and Netero's the only person to have ever survived a fight with him, too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 31, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
IIRC Mama Zoldyck hails from Meteor City so that might have something to do with it, but then so are Gotoh and Canary and they're relatively not terrible people.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, Kikyo's from Meteor City. Forgot about that.

I wonder what's up with her visor; she had it in the Alluka-related flashbacks so she's been wearing it a long time.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The Zoldyck I wanna see is Zzigg, the one that visited the Dark Continet with Netero. He seems like a laid back dude.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

Oh yeah, Kikyo's from Meteor City. Forgot about that.

I wonder what's up with her visor; she had it in the Alluka-related flashbacks so she's been wearing it a long time.

It's very fashionable. The perfect item for the modern assassin.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder who here noticed a thing about the Zoldyck kids naming.

Illumi, Milluki, Killua, Alluka, Kalluto.

Along with them all have llu in the middle of their name.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's been known for a while.

Granted I wouldn't have figured it out by myself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, I knew about that since before I joined SA, but I don't think I figured it out personally. It was quite a long time ago (back when the volumes were being published in the US).

HerraS posted:

The Zoldyck I wanna see is Zzigg, the one that visited the Dark Continet with Netero. He seems like a laid back dude.

Yeah, we don't know much about him either. Is he Zeno's father (and therefore had a considerably different hairstyle when he got older given the family line picture we saw), is he different one of Maha's sons, or is he something else? He has silver hair like Silva and Zeno, but given that the only black-haired Zoldycks we've seen have been Kikyo's non-Killua kids, the silver-black thing might not have started until the latest generation.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

The only things you said that are correct here is that the powers are being manipulated, Tocino buys Balloons and thay Morel manipulates Smoke.

Razor's 14 Devils are explicitly Emission based.They can talk yes, so can APR, there is nothing special about Nen Constructs talking.
Nen constructs are conjurations, with the maybe-exception of APR.
Razor's 14 devils are explicitely conjuration based. That they also obviously use Emission doesn't change that.

quote:

One of the guidebooks is here.
Saying one of the guidebook' doesn't tell me anything.

HerraS posted:

She specifically conjures a 'vacuum cleaner with the power to infinitely suck up things' because with conjuration you can do that poo poo. However she can't alter Blinky's size or anything else after it's been conjured unlike Razor's devils where he can increase/decrease the amount of aura in them to change their properties.

Razor cannot increase the amount of aura ot change their proprieties. He can, instead, choose to fusion them. In those cases they turn into specific other conjurations. Basically they are tiered-conjurations that uses fusion as conditions to get to the higher-end ones.

Asuron posted:

There is quite literally a scene where he emits a nen orb in front of him and puffs out smoke around it and changes the shape before sending them to scout the city. He then talks about how he sent aura out when he gets stuck in Cheetus zone and he can't risk losing what he emitted permanently.

At some point you just gotta admit you're wrong about how emission works when there are multiple scenes demonstrating why you're wrong man.
There are not any scenes showing I am wrong. Morel uses manipulation on smoke. The 'ball' is the core/data that he uses to manipulate it.

He basically use manipulation on his pipe to make smoke that is then manipulated.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arkeus posted:

Razor's 14 devils are explicitely conjuration based. That they also obviously use Emission doesn't change that.

Razor cannot increase the amount of aura ot change their proprieties. He can, instead, choose to fusion them. In those cases they turn into specific other conjurations. Basically they are tiered-conjurations that uses fusion as conditions to get to the higher-end ones.

There are not any scenes showing I am wrong. Morel uses manipulation on smoke. The 'ball' is the core/data that he uses to manipulate it.

He basically use manipulation on his pipe to make smoke that is then manipulated.

This is still incorrect why do you think all Nen Constructs are conjuration instead of emission. Because it's not true.

The 14 are pure emission. They are not explicitly Conjuration. Why do you think that?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Arkeus posted:

Neither of those statements are true. Both of Razor's main abilities are emitted, and Emission is his main type so it makes perfect sense.

There's also the wiki if it means diddly to you: http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Razor

E: To my remembrance, I can't think of a single conjuration that has any kind of autonomous behavior. Kurapica's dousing chain maybe? But that doesn't work entirely on its own, so who knows.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Not necessarily, though I don't disagree Zeno's probably an interesting guy to know off the clock.

In a lot of Eastern traditions, dragons are venerable and celestial beings of a higher order, worthy of respect and sometimes even worship. Zeno's affinity for dragons likely runs closer to this interpretation than say adventurous heavy metal or what have you.

look at his expression when he uses it though

that guy loving loves tossing dragons at people

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Well yeah, obviously.

Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Well yeah, obviously.

Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

Love Life.
Love Live.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Arkeus posted:

Just stop dude. You are wrong, accept it and move on.

Razors even stated to be in charge of the Emission based stuff on Greed Island, it makes literally no sense for a Nen user that proficient to have an ability so completely outside his wheelhouse, even if you somehow discount all the other evidence showing his abilities are all based on Emission. You just seem kinda stuck on what you think nen is, rather than what it actually is. In fact I seem to recall you having this argument in the old thread because you didn't think nen counted as "matter" for some reason.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 1, 2016

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Discussions like this are why Togashi stopped making manga

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I know the whole thing is confusing, but here is how to keep the whole thing straight.

1) Emission is amazing and can do anything.
2) Conjuration sucks and can do very little.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Davinci posted:

Discussions like this are why Togashi stopped making manga

I have hope :aaa:

I'd settle for a spin-off featuring Gon in school and/or Killua & Alluka's traveling adventures.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I know the whole thing is confusing, but here is how to keep the whole thing straight.

Conjuration can however, conjure anything. So actually it's great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
conjuration/manipulation/transmutation are all bad because if you're not creative you're hosed while emission/enhancement are basically about how strong your nen is

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The way Wing explained it, people with straight forward personalities generally tend to be Enhancement anyway, so that usually works itself out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you are an idiot who can't figure out how to use your men effectively it's not really going to matter what category you fall under.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

If you are an idiot who can't figure out how to use your men effectively it's not really going to matter what category you fall under.

:wiggle:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm not going to fix it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

TriffTshngo posted:

The way Wing explained it, people with straight forward personalities generally tend to be Enhancement anyway, so that usually works itself out.

This works with Hisoka's personality chart too, for what it's worth.

Because a person's character influences what nen type they favor (or perhaps those properties are the other way around), it certainly seems reasonable that you wouldn't get a conjurer who couldn't find some neat use for his abilities.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

Because a person's character influences what nen type they favor (or perhaps those properties are the other way around), it certainly seems reasonable that you wouldn't get a conjurer who couldn't find some neat use for his abilities.

you wouldnt get a conjurer with a novel ability because conjuration suxxxxxxx

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think emission might be a more flexible category but Conjuration is arguably a more potent category hence why it's closest to specialization. Some emission users have very powerful abilities but some Conjuration users can outright warp reality which emission users haven't been shown to do. We've also seen very few conjuration users since.

For example, the series has had several examples of teleportation. Goreinu's gorilla's can either change places with him or his target instantaneously, this is his emission ability. The pirate boxer on greed island could teleport his fist as well (he was restricted to the boxing ring because he also needed the areas covered in nen script) and he's also an emitter.

But Knov has a form of teleportation despite being a conjuration user. He has created a pocket dimension that he can freely access and sent other people/things too provided he has set up he entry/exit points. He's also been shown to be able to move between his entry points at will when he needs to. Most of the conjured item's we've seen so far are pretty drat powerful in their own right. It's not that one category is better than the other though. A powerful emission blast doesn't mean anything if your opponent is an enhancement user who can tank your blows. And the best conjured tools won't work if your opponent is smart enough to avoid them or negate their use conditions.

I also spent a lot of time in highschool making up different conjuration abilities so I'm biased towards it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sarcophallus posted:

Still it's not true in all cases or Cheetu would not exist.

The guy is a conjurer after all, but held no creativity or intelligence other then a desire to run fast. If he had been enhancement like his simple and selfish personality suggests instead the guy could have been a huge threat. As his main problem as his first encounter with Morel and Knuckle pointed out was that he did not hit very hard.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

That's probably not a good example since most of the Chimera ants were given abilities instead of developing them themselves, something like that might use different rules.

I mean yeah, the personality chart is likely just some weird astrology thing rather than actual rules but still

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm pretty sure you can do just about anything with any category of nen, it just depends on how creative you are. its a very flexible system and that's one of the reasons it's good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Still it's not true in all cases or Cheetu would not exist.

The guy is a conjurer after all, but held no creativity or intelligence other then a desire to run fast. If he had been enhancement like his simple and selfish personality suggests instead the guy could have been a huge threat. As his main problem as his first encounter with Morel and Knuckle pointed out was that he did not hit very hard.

Creativity and intelligence aren't really linked. It's fully possible to be creative and also dumb as a box of rocks.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NecroMonster posted:

Creativity and intelligence aren't really linked. It's fully possible to be creative and also dumb as a box of rocks.

Case in point, Milluki, as stated by Zeno himself.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NecroMonster posted:

Cheetu was still neither.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Alright I'm done with the exam! Pretty cool way to tie up the "tournament" arc. I'm also ready to rescue killua, so he can do more heart stabby stealy stuff.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
I hope nothing bad happens to Stick Dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there any filler to avoid or filler in general in the anime?