Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Psykmoe posted:

Maybe that question has been answered somewhere, but is Enemy Within canon for XCOM2? I wouldn't mind getting sent on missions to retrieve the bits to build a MEC at some point. I mean, come on, we're recruiting the dregs, may as well keep them fighting as Robocops when they get hurt.

Xcom only shot down a scout and the supply barge that would become the Avenger before the council bailed and Xcom was shut down.

The aliens bombard earth and accept a hasty peace treaty. Advent is set up as unified world government with bright shining cities. The aliens openly rule the world with compassion, curing all known diseases, eliminating want and calling for unity.

Those that speak out quietly go missing or are labeled terrorists.

The remains of Xcom know the aliens are sinister with ulterior motives and carry on the fight. Shen and Bradford are all that is left from the original command team as Vahlen and the Commander have gone missing. For twenty years Xcom operates as an underground resistance movement, gathering supplies and supporters in the outskirt.s

In the interim years the Avenger is brought online and they recruit rogue Advent scientist Tygan as head of the research team.

Shen dies of old age. His younger daughter takes over the engineering department.

Bradford finds out that the aliens have captured the Commander and are holding them in stasis. He mounts a rescue missions and succeeds, hoping that you, the Commander, can pick up where you left off.

Good luck, Commander.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Bernie Sanders voice pack.

Donald Trump already spends a lot of time ranting about illegal aliens, he'd be perfect for a voice pack.

In fact, somebody should be on this right now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Psykmoe posted:

Maybe that question has been answered somewhere, but is Enemy Within canon for XCOM2? I wouldn't mind getting sent on missions to retrieve the bits to build a MEC at some point. I mean, come on, we're recruiting the dregs, may as well keep them fighting as Robocops when they get hurt.
One of the upcoming DLCs is titled "Shen's Last Gift".

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Answered lots of time. Xcom only shot down a scout and the supply barge that would become the Avenger before the council bailed and Xcom was shut down.

The Commander and Vahlen disappeared leaving Shen and Bradford to carry on the fight for 20 years.

In the interim years the Avengers is brought online, they recruit rogue Advent scientist Tygan as head of the research team.

Shen dies of old age. His younger daughter takes over the engineering department.

Bradford finds out that the aliens have captured the Commander and are holding them in stasis. He mounts a rescue missions and succeeds, hoping that you, the Commander, can pick up where you left off.

Good luck, Commander.

I know I'm a legendary Commander and all, but I'm not sure how the hell I shot down a supply ship in March.

A battleship would actually have made more sense. Gangplank happens, you and your buddy Chilong drive off in a drunken haze with an Alien Battleship, the aliens go "holy poo poo we gotta shut these guys down NOW" and just invade the whole planet. XCOM is thus a victim of its own success, not cowardly undercut by the machinations of noted alien sympathizer Goodluck Johnathon.

And Mohamed Morsi, that EXALT traitor.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 31, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Personally, I'll consider the book to not be canon and just imagine that the canon is you lasting until the base defense mission (but totally borking up the research so that you can only fight with base weapons and armor), whereupon you get curbstomped and Bradford somehow survives.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Vengarr posted:

I know I'm a legendary Commander and all, but I'm not sure how the hell I shot down a supply ship in March.

Long War is canon! The supply ship landed in the first month, and somehow, against all odds, they managed to take it. They just used a shitload of explosives doing so.

Then the luck ran out.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

CrazyLoon posted:

Personally, I'll consider the book to not be canon and just imagine that the canon is you lasting until the base defense mission (but totally borking up the research so that you can only fight with base weapons and armor), whereupon you get curbstomped and Bradford somehow survives.

The Commander spent too much time ordering new sets of basic armour for the troops in different colours; having them try it on with various wigs. The council balked at the exorbitant wig bill and bailed.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The Commander spent too much time ordering new sets of basic armour for the troops in different colours; having them try it on with various wigs. The council balked at the exorbitant wig bill and bailed.

And upon being freed for XCOM 2, the Commander thought: "You know what? Let's go indie and expand the stylish options! The Council ain't my dad anymore!"

This makes perfect sense in my head!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just hope to know more about how Shadow Council Optimus Prime got through the years, and what role he plays now, like before he was funding you with bitcoins but now what's up with him

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Anyone want to bet on who talked first?

Leaders of Funding Nations in 2012:

Africa:

Egypt: Mohamed Morsi
Nigeria: Goodluck Johnathon
South Africa: Jacob Zuma

Asia:

China: Hu Jintao
Japan: Yoshihiko Noda/Shinzo Abe
Australia: Julia Gillard
India: Manmohan Singh

Europe:

France: Nicolas Sarkozy/François Hollande
Germany: Angela Merkel
Russia: Vladimir Putin
United Kingdom: David Cameron

North America:

USA: Barack Obama
Mexico: Felipe Calderón
Canada: Stephen Harper

South America:

Argentina: Cristina Fernández de Kirchner
Brazil: Dilma Rousseff

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Harper

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I bet loving pigs makes you really good at empathizing with inhuman cultures so I'm going to bet on dave

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I was watching the Pax South video, and they mentioned they had 2400 different maps in the game. That's kind of nuts, but I thought they were implementing procedurally generated maps? Unless they're using both

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

alarumklok posted:

I bet loving pigs makes you really good at empathizing with inhuman cultures so I'm going to bet on dave

:five: Thanks for that.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I was watching the Pax South video, and they mentioned they had 2400 different maps in the game. That's kind of nuts, but I thought they were implementing procedurally generated maps? Unless they're using both

Watch it again! In short; each map is part that interconnects with other maps. Road A connects to House 13, which is in turn connected at back to Pathway C7.

It helps avoid impossibly nonsensical maps that would lack detail and atmosphere.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 1, 2016

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

alarumklok posted:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
basically 3D Dungeon tiles

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I ended up pre-ordering Deluxe edition it from GMG. I've never spent this much on a videogame before, gosh

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

MotU posted:

Harper

Harper is basically a thin man that let himself go. The guy can't even manage basic human facial expressions.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
And my thread is green now. *sigh*
If it's not too much to ask Crazyloon, where could I find a good place to put my threads like that, someplace with minimal trolls and smart, creative people?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Thyrork posted:

:five: Thanks for that.

Watch it again! In short; each map is part that interconnects with other maps. Road A connects to House 13, which is in turn connected at back to Pathway C7.

It helps avoid impossibly nonsensical maps that would lack detail and atmosphere.

Expect mods with 100s of new tiles within the first few months as well.
I might make a Bad City Planning mod that tries and breaks the the system so you get chaotic nonsensical maps.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

SinineSiil posted:

I ended up pre-ordering Deluxe edition it from GMG. I've never spent this much on a videogame before, gosh

have you haerd of a little known game called star citizen? you could break your record again before breakfast!

Junpei posted:

If it's not too much to ask Crazyloon, where could I find a good place to put my threads like that, someplace with minimal trolls and smart, creative people?

you should look at the descriptions for all of the subforums, and that will answer your question

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Junpei posted:

I suggest FYAD.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Junpei posted:

It's just kind of a cultural thing here that that sort of thread is doomed to failure, bud

Consider the gassing of your threads a social cue :shrug:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vengarr posted:

Anyone want to bet on who talked first?

Leaders of Funding Nations in 2012:

Africa:

Egypt: Mohamed Morsi
Nigeria: Goodluck Johnathon
South Africa: Jacob Zuma

Asia:

China: Hu Jintao
Japan: Yoshihiko Noda/Shinzo Abe
Australia: Julia Gillard
India: Manmohan Singh

Europe:

France: Nicolas Sarkozy/François Hollande
Germany: Angela Merkel
Russia: Vladimir Putin
United Kingdom: David Cameron

North America:

USA: Barack Obama
Mexico: Felipe Calderón
Canada: Stephen Harper

South America:

Argentina: Cristina Fernández de Kirchner
Brazil: Dilma Rousseff

I almost want to say Kirchner but otoh I could totally see Morsi giving in.

on the other other hand:

alarumklok posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

alarumklok posted:

I had to go look up what you were referring to because I don't keep up and uh :stare:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Played Enemy Within for hours today, got pissed off because of bullshit RNG, preordered Xcom 2 anyways because :xcom:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Space Wizard posted:

Harper is basically a thin man that let himself go. The guy can't even manage basic human facial expressions.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Any word on whether Shivs or MECs will be returning (or some equivalent)?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nessin posted:

Any word on whether Shivs or MECs will be returning (or some equivalent)?

Neither in the base game. Well, fully robotic MECs are as enemies. And you can hack them in mission to control them.

One will almost certainly be returning in the announced DLC 'Shen's Last Gift', especially since MEC autopsy says they're based off of work he was doing before he died and the DLC is explicitly adding another class.

My bet would be MECs or some kind of nu-MEC class, perhaps something more 'Iron Man' than 'Lifter Exosuit'.

Personally really hoping for androids though.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 1, 2016

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 31, 2022

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

We Happy Few is shaping up nicely.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why can't someone just give Beagle, Chris, or another well-know XCOM fan an early (full) copy? I'm so excited my hands and feet are shaking. Makes typing on a smartphone really hard!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Junpei posted:

Why can't someone just give Beagle, Chris, or another well-know XCOM fan an early (full) copy? I'm so excited my hands and feet are shaking. Makes typing on a smartphone really hard!

Try to calm down.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Fangz posted:

Try to calm down.

Oh please, don't act like you're not excited.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm totally not excited for this videogame.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think you might be having a stroke mate. Try lifting both arms above your head and if you can't do that call your local emergency number.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Josef bugman posted:

I think you might be having a stroke mate. Try lifting both arms above your head and if you can't do that call your local emergency number.

Just did, I can lift them. MY HYPE IS OVER 9000!!!!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My first mod will be an XCOM initiative to rename Rookies to Junpeis and give them all the twitchy personality.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Pwnstar posted:

My first mod will be an XCOM initiative to rename Rookies to Junpeis and give them all the twitchy personality.

Go ahead, I don't care. Maybe I'll keep a running score of Days To XCOM 2 at midnight every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Junpei posted:

I am in a particularly good mood right now, so I'm going to give you a straight answer. For background, I am a computer programmer with about 10 years' experience and have done a fair bit of hobbyist game development. I'm exactly the sort of person you want on your side.

I'm here to tell you that places like that don't exist. Not just on SA, but anywhere. Here's why:

Smart, creative people are busy. Or, more accurately, precisely as busy as they want to be. They're in high demand from not just you, but from everyone. Smarts and creativity are worth a lot of money, so smart, creative people tend to have no problem going out there and turning that those smarts and creativity into money. When they are done doing that, they have no more energy to critique other peoples' ideas, which are lovely ideas the vast majority of the time. This includes your idea in its current incarnation. Your idea, as it stands right now, is completely generic, lovely, and rehashed.

Can it be made better? Of course - one of the most beloved CRPGs of the 90s, Arcanum, incorporates a lot of the sorts of things you're touching on. It just does it in a way more coherent, understandable, and fertile way than you ever have. The catch of it is, nobody is just going to plop down and help you do that. You need to get people interested. You do that, chiefly, through showing you can hustle and are willing to find problems and solve them.

You have not done one loving scrap of actual work on your asinine game idea. At the 'sound bite' version, as a listener, I have to know why your idea is awesome and what your unfair advantage is. By which I mean, what is the thing you've figured out that nobody else has yet? If you don't have those things there and if they're not compelling (your demons and magic idea is the least compelling thing I've heard in a year), then you won't get even ten seconds of my time. Once you have my attention, you need to have a well thought out mission statement - stuff like a full scope, a detailed and preferably documented example of the execution, and ready answers to any questions I have. This requires dozens upon dozens of hours of thought and it's your responsibility and your responsibility alone to do that thinking because if you can't prove to me that you can work for your goal then I'm going to write you off as one of the thousands of morons who have a mediocre idea on the toilet and don't realize that the poo poo isn't just coming from their assholes. And even after that, you THEN have to know who you're selling to and be able to cite to me examples of why you think you're going to be successful. Otherwise all I'm going to think is that we're gonna make the best game that nobody gives a poo poo about. I have companies offering me hundreds of thousands of dollars to build their dreams. I have ideas of my own that I reasonably think are going to make me even more money than that. THAT is what you're competing against to get even a single brain cycle out of my head.

And when you ask for bullshit like this, you just confirm my image of you as a lazy, slack-jawed idiot who has absolutely no idea how hard making something from scratch is. You don't even want to do the work to refine your idea or recruit your team. You want everyone else to do that for you. How am I supposed to believe that you have the guts to work 8 hours after a long day pushing a priority through or the diligence to stay focused when things look bleak? Let alone all the other qualities that would make me want to work with you over any of the other 3 dozen people who are filling my email box with requests for help for pay at any one time? Humility, ambition, cleverness, excitement? You are failing before you even get onto the ball field because instead of showing up in a jersey and cleats, you're showing up naked and barefoot!

In short, go do your own loving work before you even think about showing up and asking me to do any work for you. It's insulting to me as a professional if you show up not even half assing it like this because you think my time is so colossally worthless that I have nothing better to do than to spend it counselling your rear end. Come up with some real mechanics, walk me through a fight, have a story to tell me! Treat me like someone you value working with, even if you don't know me that well. It'll show me that you know what work is. You shitpost quarter-baked ideas on forums like this and I know conclusively that you've never done a full day's work in your worthless life - and if you can't work, I've got no interest in working with you.