Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

OddObserver posted:

In your discussion of the Kaiser you seem to have missed the most important part of his character that shows up in these episodes: sure, he seems a pretty chill old man -- but also one that forced a young woman to become his mistress using the power of his office.

I wasn't exactly sure what had gone down there, so I didn't want to mention it lest it be clarified later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's kind of self-explanatory and a sufficiently gross injustice that it's easy to see why Reinhard can't get over it.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

OddObserver posted:

In your discussion of the Kaiser you seem to have missed the most important part of his character that shows up in these episodes: sure, he seems a pretty chill old man -- but also one that forced a young woman to become his mistress using the power of his office.

waaaay later spoiler

reinhard does the same loving thing lmao he's a total piece of poo poo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wasn't gonna mention that but aight

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raku posted:

waaaay later spoiler

reinhard does the same loving thing lmao he's a total piece of poo poo

That one's a little complicated -- by that point it'd been long established Hilda loved Reinhard, if he wasn't drunk when he asked that scene would be a lot different

E: then again he admits the next day he did the same loving thing so yeah you're completely right

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 21, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Patter Song posted:

I got the impression more than once that the series was designed with the expectation that you'd already read the book, which, of course, isn't true of anyone in the West, or at least isn't true yet. (Can't wait until March and English release of volume 1).

The next episode previews are basically "the next episode is the one where this happens" and are aimed at people who have heard the story before.

It would be like if they made a big epic about the Trojan War here and an episode featuring Achilles sulking in his tent ended with "Next time: Achilles returns to the battlefield in grief as he watches Patroclus fall to the Trojans. Will Hector be able to withstand Achilles' fury?"

Another thing to keep in mind is that LOGH was released as a direct-to-video series, and I think they were released one or two at a time? So you'd basically be buying VHS tapes one after another, and the preview was probably as much about knowing what you were going to be dropping more money on as it was getting you hyped up for the next episode. I have no idea what LOGH was selling for at initial release, but I do recall that VHS cassettes overall were not cheap.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

That one's a little complicated -- by that point it'd been long established Hilda loved Reinhard, if he wasn't drunk when he asked that scene would be a lot different

E: then again he admits the next day he did the same loving thing so yeah you're completely right

I always read his admission of doing the same thing as being his fear that he was abusing his office.
It's natural he'd be concerned about it, given the past, but that doesn't mean he was actually forcing the issue; if Hilda had turned him down, I'm sure he'd have been heartbroken but I can't imagine he'd have done anything bad to her or her family or anything of the sort...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Episode 3 of Anime Kiwi is live. It covers episodes 5-8.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Paul Oberstein is evil as poo poo and nobody will convince me otherwise. He is going to do something awful at some point. I just know it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oberstein is definitely one of the more fascinating characters to discuss as the show goes on.

Also I think expecting Yang to "not be a pussy" is comically missing the point about his character. Bare minimum, it should be becoming abundantly clear how despite there being two "rising stars" on either side of the war the fact that they contrast so much in personality/make-up/approach is going to be one of the major thematic elements utilized by the story.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another Person posted:

Paul Oberstein is evil as poo poo and nobody will convince me otherwise. He is going to do something awful at some point. I just know it.

You can keep on thinking that and it's alright. It's ok to be wrong.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Oberstein is definitely one of the more fascinating characters to discuss as the show goes on.

Oberstein is probably my second favourite character right now (after clearly neutral Reinhard), and I am just waiting for him to do something (or influence Reinhards to do something) unquestionably evil and immoral. He will. I am just waiting for it. He is walking distrust.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Oberstein definitely has an arc and I bet you'll turn your opinion around on that cool dude

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh, he will be cool and someone I like the entire time, but he is gonna do some evil poo poo. He strikes me as a guy who doesn't let things like 'morals' or 'laws' get in his way.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It depends how you define "evil poo poo", but Reinhard said explicitly he saved his rear end to use him to do very shady things. In any case, Oberstein is one of the more ambiguous and enigmatic characters in the entire show.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
He did save him for that reason, but the way I see it he is effectively placing Oberstein on his personal team to 'counsel' him, to give him advice and help him strategise. The same position Kircheis currently holds, basically. That will create conflict.

What I was trying to say is that I think there will come a time where both Kircheis and Oberstein have different plans for how to proceed, and that Oberstein's will definitely be the more questionable plan in terms of consequences, it will be a bolder and more risky plan, which puts people (or possibly even Reinhard/Kircheis themselves) in danger but has a greater chance of success. Kircheis is the caution and conservative planning in Reinhard's reckless life, and Oberstein seems like he will be the one who lets the reins loose instead.

The thing I was saying about Reinhard's sister was that Annerose has explicitly said to Kircheis that she wants him to look after Reinhard for her. It was when Reinhard went indoors to get more wine when Reinhard and Kircheis were visiting her. She seems to imply that she wants to keep Reinhard safe from himself. Adding Oberstein into the mix, who does not have those instructions, is a dangerous proposition for Kircheis. Likewise, at the end of that episode, as Kicheis refuses the wine, we see Oberstein enter the room as Kircheis leaves, and Kircheis' face is one of uncertainty. Oberstein is already influencing Reinhard

That is basically what I was getting at.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Oberstein is the Hitler of the show - both morally compromised men who really like dogs and that were correct in the end.

Uuuuhhhhhh I mean,

e: When writing this extremely accurate analogy, I remembered the incredibly hamfisted way Gihren is called by his dad "literally Hitler" in Gundam 0079 - does LoGH have any direct references to our history? I remember the Heinessen episodes mention old history, but there's never any direct connection to Earth, right?

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 1, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

They explicitly talk about humanity leaving Earth at the start of episode 8.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Oberstein is the Hitler of the show - both morally compromised men who really like dogs and that were correct in the end.

Uuuuhhhhhh I mean,

e: When writing this extremely accurate analogy, I remembered the incredibly hamfisted way Gihren is called by his dad "literally Hitler" in Gundam 0079 - does LoGH have any direct references to our history? I remember the Heinessen episodes mention old history, but there's never any direct connection to Earth, right?

If we can take the footage that Yang was viewing in the movie to not be a fictional appropriation of images and instead to be genuine history within that universe, then we can assume that LOGH takes place in our human timeline. What he is watching appeared to be a documentary of some form about our own wars. It is obscured and unclear, but some of the uniforms in it looked like American Civil War uniforms (specifically the caps in one image), and others like Napoleonic era uniforms, as well as an image that is greatly resembling paintings of Napoleon himself riding a white horse, down to Napoleon's iconic hat. I take that to be a nod that LOGH takes place in a continuation of our own history.

e; real life painting

image in LOGH

Another Person fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 1, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The show begins in the year 3596. There's going to be a fuller exposition of intervening history later in the show, but even at this point it's explicitly set in our future rather than fanciful long time ago in a galaxy far far away or whatever.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

skasion posted:

The show begins in the year 3596. There's going to be a fuller exposition of intervening history later in the show, but even at this point it's explicitly set in our future rather than fanciful long time ago in a galaxy far far away or whatever.

Not far away --- episode 8's little intro history segment mentions that humanity came from Earth.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm not familiar with space opera but would I like this anyways? I've heard about it but never really put much thought until I noticed this post. Thanks.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alder posted:

I'm not familiar with space opera but would I like this anyways? I've heard about it but never really put much thought until I noticed this post. Thanks.

It's good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alder posted:

Do you like political, fairly realistic(as far as anime goes) sci-fi? If so, this is some of the best of that out there. It tells a tale of two warring factions and the people therein, and manages to keep it consistently great for almost the entirety of its 110 episode run.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

It's good.

Added b/c people have capes and it's the future :choco:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's not much of a spoiler to say that Earth still physically exists in the universe, and everyone knows that's where people originated. It's just not the capital of either of the two political entities.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Alder posted:

It's not really your traditional 'anime'.

It's more like Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire or a reenactment of the life of Alexander the Great on the History Channel.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finally finished with this week's podcast, it's really amusing hearing a group of people watching this show for the first time, making predictions and thinking aloud about the characters. I look forward to the reactions of the crew in future episodes, especially Another Person.

Another Person posted:

e; real life painting

This show sometimes likes to portay scenes heavily inspired by real paintings. It's a nice little detail.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
if you want a super normie comparison, it's like game of thrones because its about politics, and it aint shy about karking named characters

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Phobophilia posted:

if you want a super normie comparison, it's like game of thrones because its about politics, and it aint shy about karking named characters

Just with less random sex scenes and slightly less cutthroat politics too. Game of Thrones is, honestly, more murderous and cynical.

Which is why I'd prefer to compare the series to Babylon 5 or Deep Space Nine. Older shows, of course, but far closer in spirit.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

It's not really your traditional 'anime'.

It's more like Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire or a reenactment of the life of Alexander the Great on the History Channel.

Looks good, I already like the 1st movie so far, but are there going to be any major female characters?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alder posted:

Looks good, I already like the 1st movie so far, but are there going to be any major female characters?

Like six, out of dozens. This series is kind of a sausage fest. It's the only bad thing about it.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Alder posted:

A few, but that's one of the major shortcomings of the show. There's very few major female roles.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm okay with the empire being a sausage fest because its a hosed up aristocratic patriarchal homosexually repressed society, but the alliance needed a fairer gender balance.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The Alliance seems like it has plenty of its own problems keeping that from happening, as of ep 8.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Like six, out of dozens. This series is kind of a sausage fest. It's the only bad thing about it.

I guess that's alright. Here's to hoping they play an interesting role to the main battles/story at least.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Bongo Bill posted:

That and some very silly villains.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

I'm okay with the empire being a sausage fest because its a hosed up aristocratic patriarchal homosexually repressed society, but the alliance needed a fairer gender balance.

Democracy does not equal gender equality by default, by any means. Looking back today it would have been nice to see a larger cast of women in non-romantic roles, but it was written in the 70s, in japan, so that's worth taking into consideration. The women that stick around get pretty meaty roles, with that in mind. Except Annerose. Annerose sucks.

One of the thing people are hoping for in the new adaptation is an expanded role for women, or even just gender swapping some characters. I'd rather not see gender swapped characters, because I think that's a cheap way out and would probably be done while ignoring the effects having a different gender would have on that character. Personally I just hope it doesn't suck (or at least, doesn't looks as lovely as the gaiden animation or Arslan)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Oberstein is legit probably one of the most complex characters in the show. Unfortunately, having seen the whole series, there's nothing I can really say about him here that doesn't draw off my knowledge of future events so I'll just leave it at that.

Also, throwing in my two cents with Glitch: swapping genders around is a cheap and hollow solution. Let LOGH be what it is without rewriting history, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Oberstein is legit probably one of the most complex characters in the show. Unfortunately, having seen the whole series, there's nothing I can really say about him here that doesn't draw off my knowledge of future events so I'll just leave it at that.

Also, throwing in my two cents with Glitch: swapping genders around is a cheap and hollow solution. Let LOGH be what it is without rewriting history, so to speak.

Without reconsidering the context of what lives they would have it would be pretty hollow yah. And I agree personally that I don't think LoGH as decades old novels needs to be 'fixed' for modern audiences to match modern sensibilities.